Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Hi Stephen n.
    That's fairly doubtful that large numbers of fans will still travel from Italy ..known that the game is canceled..
    Either way it nothing against teams..fans or supporters for me it shows the amount of greed by the irfu to hold the game regardless and get in the revenue... that's not sport
    Just greed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

The 'after hours' crew have relocated to vent their spleen.
    Buckle up and ride it out. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Hi Stephen n.
    That's fairly doubtful that large numbers of fans will still travel from Italy ..known that the game is canceled..
    Either way it nothing against teams..fans or supporters for me it shows the amount of greed by the irfu to hold the game regardless and get in the revenue... that's not sport
    Just greed

Nice shade of green you’re wearing there, considering you’re not a supporter of Irish Sport.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its pretty certain that italians who have booked flights, accommodation and time off work for next week... WILL still come over regardless of the game being called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hi Stephen n.
    Just greed

IRFU were not informed of this accordingly. They should have been. IRFU will follow govt advice but there is 300k visitors to Ireland mid March. They literally come from all corners of the world. Will that mass influx of visitors be stopped to prevent the spread of this?

I get the impression Harris and co are making a big statement of being seen to be doing something while not Doing anything at all here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

1000 people die of normal flu in Ireland per year, do we go into lock down and cancel sporting events during flu season every year?

If the match is on I’m going, and I’ll spend my weekend in Dublin on the beer with a crowd of Italians. If the match isn’t on I’ll spend the weekend on the beer with a crowd of Italians in Dublin. So it makes 2 hours of a difference. This is going to be the same across the board,
    What difference will it make only miss out on watching the game?

Between 100-200 die of seasonal flu in Ireland each year, but why let the facts get in the way of a good grab of the ballsack.

You'd be foolish enough not to educate yourself of the differences between this virus and routine flu. This is giving strong healthy people pneumonia and that takes you out of the game maybe for months.

In any case, by this time next week I would think that travel in and out of northern Italy will be stopped at source anyway so you'll be drinking alone.

Incidentally, Simon Harris and the Dept of Health abdicating responsibility back to the Union in a public health matter is abject negligence and professional and political cowardice.

It’s just strange that it was announced in isolation. If he called for the cancellation of all large public events, then it would make more sense. There will be GAA games over this weekend and next weekend that will attract 20k plus probably. Leinster will probably attract 15k for Glasgow on Friday. Patrick’s day will attract double what the Italy game will. If this is the departments policy, that was probably the most inept way of announcing it possible.

None of those have an audience from an affected area.

I'd be pretty certain at this stage that the St Patricks Festival won't happen at all, such is the escalation we are now in.

Larbre34 wrote: »

I'd be pretty certain at this stage that the St Patricks Festival won't happen at all, such is the escalation we are now in.

The people from the affected area are still going to travel as things stand.

It is still a very strange way to communicate the decision. No consultation with the organizers and no suggestion of a policy. Just an announcement about one event.

Hi Stephen n.
    Just greed

We managed to ignore this first time around. Let's try for two in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its pretty certain that italians who have booked flights, accommodation and time off work for next week... WILL still come over regardless of the game being called off.

Northern Italy is in lockdown. I heard an Irish woman living in Milan say that there is very little movement of people at the moment. So if they are not even leaving their own homes, i doubt they will travel in huge numbers to a game thats not even on. Italians from other regions probably will still travel but with the game off, it may even deter them.

People travel from all over the world for patricks day.

Cancel the parade. What will those people do? Gather in temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

I’d agree with you completely, at this rate it’s hard to see the parade going on.

Separately, regarding incoming Italian fans, most of their rugby base is up north in and around the affected areas, there’s v few Italians in that area going on holidays atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

damowill wrote: »
    Northern Italy is in lockdown. I heard an Irish woman living in Milan say that there is very little movement of people at the moment. So if they are not even leaving their own homes, i doubt they will travel in huge numbers to a game thats not even on. Italians from other regions probably will still travel but with the game off, it may even deter them.

In lockdown but Juventus fans are on the move to Lyon to see a champions league game tonight.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51633790

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

damowill wrote: »
    Northern Italy is in lockdown. I heard an Irish woman living in Milan say that there is very little movement of people at the moment. So if they are not even leaving their own homes....

A glance at a live cam in any northern Italian city shows this to be nonsense.
    It is far away from lockdown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Wait til they're all gathered, seal it off and nuke the place. Kill two birds with the one stone..

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Its a full week of events, but I take your point.

If they are coming from areas that are unaffected, fine. If, like Italy, they are due to come from affected areas, local bans should limit travel anyway.

The speed this thing is escalating makes me think there won't be much of any air travel going on by the time we get to the weekend after next, the beginning of Paddy's week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It’s pretty simple.
    If governments are serious about stopping the Spread of this then a ban on air travel is necessary.

If the only want to limit the spread then stopping gatherings is a good idea.

It looks like they only want to limit the spread. I’m sure the numbers add up as beneficial to the health service if a few thousand high dependency people die over the next year or so. Free up some beds and all that.

Its a full week of events, but I take your point.

If they are coming from areas that are unaffected, fine. If, like Italy, they are due to come from affected areas, local bans should limit travel anyway.

The speed this thing is escalating makes me think there won't be much of any air travel going on by the time we get to the weekend after next, the beginning of Paddy's week.

But there is no monitoring of where they are coming from or have travelled to recently. If one irish resident person returns from tenerife with this virus and goes to the cinema etc......

Cancelling a rugby match seems rather pointless as right now it's in isolation from other events. I think this is what confuses people as much as anything.

There is nothing to stop Italian fans from travelling next weekend as of right now.

Seems like the solution is back to front. Allow potential carriers here but don't let them spread within the Aviva. Temple Bar be ok though

Between 100-200 die of seasonal flu in Ireland each year, but why let the facts get in the way of a good grab of the ballsack.

You'd be foolish enough not to educate yourself of the differences between this virus and routine flu. This is giving strong healthy people pneumonia and that takes you out of the game maybe for months.

One of the top doctors in CUH was on the radio this morning and stated that in a bad year up to 1000 people die of flu in Ireland.

He also stated that for the vast majority of people the corona virus is no worse than a head cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

One of the top doctors in CUH was on the radio this morning and stated that in a bad year up to 1000 people die of flu in Ireland.

He also stated that for the vast majority of people the corona virus is no worse than a head cold.

a region/city in China is in lockdown for 6 weeks, and parts of Italy are now in lockdown, a hotel in the Canaries is in lockdown / stock market is crashing all over a head cold / someone is telling porkies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

thebaz wrote: »
    a region/city in China is in lockdown for 6 weeks, and parts of Italy are now in lockdown, a hotel in the Canaries is in lockdown / stock market is crashing all over a head cold / someone is telling porkies

disclaimer - not a doctor.

However, the most common form of a coronavirus is a common cold. there aere more serious strains mers, sars and covid19. This is where confusion is coming in. The hysteria is around covid19. It can be lethal as we know and hear from reports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So the government is telling the IRFU to cancel a match in 10 days, while in Italy they're saying that they could lift the ban on sporting events in the affected area on Monday.

https://en.as.com/en/2020/02/26/football/1582721389_166567.html
    "If the data does not give us different indications, it may well be that from March 2 we will not extend the ban on sporting events," sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora told reporters. "We will see how it develops in the next few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

evil_seed wrote: »
    disclaimer - not a doctor.

However, the most common form of a coronavirus is a common cold. there aere more serious strains mers, sars and covid19. This is where confusion is coming in. The hysteria is around covid19. It can be lethal as we know and hear from reports.

My understanding is that, while the fatality rate for SARS is higher, the coroanvirus is far more contagious, and that's the bigger issue. From here, over a week ago:
    At a briefing on 17 February WHO’s director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said that more than 80% of patients with covid-19 have a “mild disease and will recover” and that it is fatal in 2% of reported cases. In comparison, the 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) had a case fatality rate of around 10% (8098 cases and 774 deaths), while Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) killed 34% of people with the illness between 2012 and 2019 (2494 cases and 858 deaths).12

However, despite the lower case fatality rate, covid-19 has so far resulted in more deaths (1871) than SARS and MERS combined (1632).

I thought this tweet from the other day was interesting:

https://twitter.com/nj_joel/status/1231567911241666562?s=12

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

DGRulz wrote: »
    I've seen this argument again and again. Its stupid. There's vaccines to prevent the various flu stains every year. People get those vaccines. Thats how we control that virus. This virus has no such vaccine yet and while its not as fatal as flu or SARS it is spreading a lot faster and further. So the only way to contain it is to try prevent it spreading. A mass gathering of tens of thousands of people in close proximity with the potential of even a few people from an infected region sprinkled in amongst the crowd is too big a risk.

It's death rate is much higher then that of influenza. The death rate from 'flu is about 9 deaths per thousand. In Iran Covid is running at almost 10% although that is an outlier statistically. In China there have been almost 3000 deaths from 70,000 cases or 23 deaths per thousand. The big problem for the future is that the Covid19 virus might mutate and become a permanent ongoing disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Absoloute joke. Reactionary OTT Ireland at its finest.

Absoloute joke. Reactionary OTT Ireland at its finest.

I see where you're coming from and as much as I suspect you know exactly what you are talking about I'm still gonna have to side with the HSE and WHO on this one.

Very tight call though, I thought very long and hard about it, very hard indeed - three cheers for TheAnalyst_

Absolute nonsense of the highest order ruining the 6 nations and ruining a weekends for loads of people for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I blame POM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement