Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    This has all the hallmarks of Nucifora and is surely grounds enough for him to be sent packing?
    This wouldnt be nucifora at all. It would be phillip Browne and the operations staff so bit unfair to try twist it into a nucifora bashing ...

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I should probably infract myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I got the joke if nobody else did.
    Presumably the irfu can’t just plough on without Garda on board and event licenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Have you checked youe temperature?

I'd imagine the IRFU were notified before or concurrent with the interview.

This is a public health matter that affects sports, not a sports matter. The IRFU have zero jurisdiction and its right that the information came from the minister based on advice from the HSE.

I think the IRFU have probably gotten calls from the six nations asking wtf and this statement is optics. I agree with awec that now is not the time for optics but that's a sports matter, not a public health matter.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    IRFU statement. They want an urgent meeting with the Minister.

Two 6N games were postponed in 2001 due to the foot & mouth outbreak. I'm not sure why the IRFU are getting themselves into such a tizzy over this when games have been called off before. If the IRFU won't cooperate, the government needs to act in the public interest and force a postponement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

On the plus side, cities will be much more pleasant if Paddies day is affected similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This is a public health matter that affects sports, not a sports matter. The IRFU have zero jurisdiction and its right that the information came from the minister based on advice from the HSE.

I think the IRFU have probably gotten calls from the six nations asking wtf and this statement is optics. I agree with awec that now is not the time for optics but that's a sports matter, not a public health matter.

You've made some big assumptions here

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea, I was joking about the Nucifora thing obviously but the IRFU statement is a bit stroppy. Like they think they should be the centre of Simon Harris' universe right now.

They should have just said they'll be talking to the relevant people in the coming days and news will be released ASAP.

The statement they did release makes it look like they're annoyed at the notion that the game might be off and they'll lose some money as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s not going ahead, it doesn’t matter what the IRFU want to do. Need the Gards on board, need medical support, need sign off for insurance, etc. It’s off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hurrache wrote: »
    On the plus side, cities will be much more pleasant if Paddies day is affected similarly.

Not Dublin, unless they shut down Dublin airport entirely Americans will still find a way to make it over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not Dublin, unless they shut down Dublin airport entirely Americans will still find a way to make it over

It's the bloody sloppy natives that are the problem. With no parade and cheap carnival rides to attract them they might stay home.

AdamD wrote: »
    You've made some big assumptions here

Definitely.
    Yea, I was joking about the Nucifora thing obviously but the IRFU statement is a bit stroppy. Like they think they should be the centre of Simon Harris' universe right now.

They should have just said they'll be talking to the relevant people in the coming days and news will be released ASAP.

The statement they did release makes it look like they're annoyed at the notion that the game might be off and they'll lose some money as a result.

The most likely turn of events here in my opinion is that the developing situation in Italy put the HSE on notice about travel from that region. They informed the Minister and the decision was made to cancel the event.

I don't know whether the IRFU found out in advance or by how much or if at all - but I'd bet the other six nations countries didn't get advanced notice and I'd say they were straight onto the IRFU wondering what was going to happen. I also think FG are on tenterhooks at the moment and any pre notification of the IRFU before the public would be spun against them.

The IRFU response is full of indignation but these aren't stupid people - they would have no issue complying with a public health issue. They were caught on the stool by the other six nations countries and felt the need to make the weakest possible protest they could. At no point did they disagree with the decision - they've just made a song and dance about getting clarifications. After the horse is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

so how many Italians are flying into Ireland in the next four weeks outside of the 6 nations match, are they cancelling all flights in and out of Italy with immediate effect?

Well there are a couple of things that really should have been taken into account. The FIR have to be informed, the IRFU aren't the organisers of the tournament, so it's more than a bit heavy-handed to come out and say this without taking account of, or informing the other stakeholders.

And it's open ended. No idea when it can (if it can) be rescheduled.

And there are also other options. Like closing it off completely or just for Italian fans travelling from Italy or affected parts of Italy. Lots of things to discuss, so they are quite correct to ask for a meeting.

typhoony wrote: »
    so how many Italians are flying into Ireland in the next four weeks outside of the 6 nations match, are they cancelling all flights in and out of Italy with immediate effect?

They've taken one large travel event off the agenda where you have lots of people drinking, engaging and being difficult to manage.

That might be the proportional response. We might see stricter measures in due course but any reduction of risk is still a reduction.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

This is f*cking daft from Harris. If it's enough to call off a sports due to concentration of people in a large group, they should be cancelling all travel from Italy. Impossible to decontaminate surfaces in planes between flight turnarounds, and you're exposing everyone in the airport on a daily basis.

This shouldn't be about whether the game is cancelled or not, but about dealing with the risk that already exists due to daily travel to and from Italy. It's the travel that creates the risk, not the event, and that's what should be addressed first and foremost.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    informing the other stakeholders.

The only stakeholders that matter to the government are the voters.

If they told anyone before the public I honestly think it would be spun to damage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

er.

It seems the IRFU were not contacted prior to the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Harris is some tool just looking to get himself in the headlines.

If the rugby can't go ahead then why are planes and people landing from Italy with no checks in Dublin airport? Surely a travel ban should be implemented, with non essential travel stopped and any essential travel subject to checks and possible quarantine.

The rugby is not on for 12 days, plenty of time to have a meeting with the IRFU, explain the situation and allow them to go about things in the proper way.

There are a lot of stakeholders that will be affected by the game being cancelled so reasons need to be given, the IRFU is well used to games being cancelled, and contingency plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The IRFUs perspective on this is clear.

They NEED the Government to be ones to make the call or else their insurance won't kick in to cover the liabilities they already have to suppliers etc. The Union cannot be the ones to cancel it and I imagine the urgent meeting is to sort that out as much as anything.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

They've taken one large travel event off the agenda where you have lots of people drinking, engaging and being difficult to manage.

That might be the proportional response. We might see stricter measures in due course but any reduction of risk is still a reduction.

What if the people who have booked flights and accommodation decide to come anyway for a weekend in the town? Cancelling the event provides no measurable guarantee of the outcome they are aiming for, as it's not actual enforcing any control against the risk.
    This is risk manager theatre, not actual risk management.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The IRFUs perspective on this is clear.

They NEED the Government to be ones to make the call or else their insurance won't kick in to cover the liabilities they already have to suppliers etc. The Union cannot be the ones to cancel it and I imagine the urgent meeting is to sort that out as much as anything.

No it's not.

The IRFU perspective is in relation to the governments overall policy with regards travel to and from Italy.

They said exactly that in a statement. Essentially they are going to ask why they are going to cancel a game when people are still allowed to travel freely to and from Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Seria A matches called off in Italy , the region in quarantine is where many/most Italian rugby fans will come from , only right game is called off - its not even a big decider / play it in May - IRFU look stupid questioning this decision.

Maybe it is all scaremongering fear , but Harris made right decision , given what we know right now.

No it's not.

The IRFU perspective is in relation to the governments overall policy with regards travel to and from Italy.

They said exactly that in a statement. Essentially they are going to ask why they are going to cancel a game when people are still allowed to travel freely to and from Italy.

Who do you think the Government should have told as soon as they were advised to cancel the event:

A) The IRFU

or

B) Taxpayers?

The only stakeholders that matter to the government are the voters.

If they told anyone before the public I honestly think it would be spun to damage them.
    I'd like to think our government is concerned with the entire population and not just the part that's over 18 and registered to vote.

And not concerned about how giving people a heads up could be 'spun' against them.

Who do you think the Government should have told as soon as they were advised to cancel the event:

A) The IRFU

or

B) Taxpayers?
    I'm struggling to understand how telling people (the vast majority of whom are not affected by this) is somehow more important than telling the actual organisers of an event they are proposing to cancel. Is this purely for votes or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Issue being discussed on RTE now, apparently 5000 Italian fans were due to travel. Guess a lot of it is convergence of fans in one location and trying to mitigate risk. Not going to shut down borders anytime soon so just trying to manage as best they can

Eod100 wrote: »
    Issue being discussed on RTE now, apparently 5000 Italian fans were due to travel. Guess a lot of it is convergence of fans in one location and trying to mitigate risk. Not going to shut down borders anytime soon so just trying to manage as best they can
    Ah yeah, that's clearly the aim. And it's fair enough. But there are other options available to them and that's why a discussion with the IRFU and the other stakeholders would have been desirable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Harris is some tool just looking to get himself in the headlines.

If the rugby can't go ahead then why are planes and people landing from Italy with no checks in Dublin airport? Surely a travel ban should be implemented, with non essential travel stopped and any essential travel subject to checks and possible quarantine.

The rugby is not on for 12 days, plenty of time to have a meeting with the IRFU, explain the situation and allow them to go about things in the proper way.

There are a lot of stakeholders that will be affected by the game being cancelled so reasons need to be given, the IRFU is well used to games being cancelled, and contingency plans.

Leinster bias again.
    Having a Wicklovian as Minister of Health is biting us in the ass.
    Now, Micheal Martin, there's a Minister of Health you can set your watch to.

---

But seriously, calling the game off this far out with no consultation was a bit silly.

It should be cancelled, but by all stakeholders at a joint presser. This way looks a bit bush league.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement