Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

harvey keital...at one stage he was in nearly all the good gritty shows ..then he was gone,did insurance adverts.

brendan fraser... huge,then nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jennifer grey from dirty dancing seemed to more or less vanish after that film. Didn’t she get a nose job ?

She did and looked totally different after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Lyndsey Lohan. Back in the early 00s she was tipped as being the next best thing with a huge career ahead of her. Another victim of Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I was going to mention him too, but he has recently started making a comeback on tv, starring in Condor and Trust (really great and different in both) and I think he's currently in Doom Patrol.

I believe there are a number of troubling and unfortunate incidents that led him to disappear from Hollywood....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

He's still huge...over 20 stone weight...it's been a rough few years for him, he used to do his own stunts and he really destroyed his back, surgeries.. hospital stays ...you get the feeling he's happy to be walking around.
    He's currently in a TV show that is partly shot in Dublin with ex superman Tom Welling, called Professionals.
    It's absolute rubbish... but it's nice to see him acting again...

Edit...yes there was talk of a sexual assault where he is the victim..no idea what became of that tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Steve Guttenberg is an interesting one because you could almost claim that Adam Samberg's Peralta character on Brooklyn 99 is an updated Mahoney.
    Jennifer Grey is married to Clark Gregg, best known as Phil Coulson in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    Hollywood does tend to be more cruel to its ageing leading ladies then to its men. Think of Michelle Monaghan, Katherine Heigl, Kirsten Dunst and Hayley Attwell to name a few. Even the likes of Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence and Anna Kendrick have fallen off the radar lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

Seann William Scott - he had a massive run of successful films like the American Pie series, Road Trip, Role Models etc.
    Very much got type cast in every film though. Haven't seen him in anything in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Well Anna Kendrick is cashing in voicing Trolls with Justin Trousersnake, the sequel has been playing on repeat in my house for most of the lockdown. In fairness, best tenner I ever spent.

Ouch, just googled Amanda Bynes, face tattoo... Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

lc180 wrote: »
    Seann William Scott - he had a massive run of successful films like the American Pie series, Road Trip, Role Models etc.
    Very much got type cast in every film though. Haven't seen him in anything in years.

He was in the final season of Lethal Weapon with Damon Wayans..approx 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

pixelburp wrote: »
    John McTiernan directed stone cold classics in Die Hard (and its second sequel), Predator, The Hint for Red October; though his sudden career end was cos he was arrested and charged by the FBI IIRC (over q wiretapping scandal)

Then I was only just reading of Richard Kelly; exploded to fame over Donnie Darko, then disappeared as suddenly after making a mere 2 followup films that went down like lead balloons.

Not quite a Hollywood actor, but was thinking of Ardal O'Hanlon recently for similar reasons. Post Father Ted, he had a brief career but seems to have just completely disappeared from screen.

Ardal OH still gets work in UK sitcoms /dramas

He’s in that bbc tea time police yoke set in Caribbean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Interesting thread, I wonder do the actors themselves take a step back, get jaded with the industry.
    How financially secure would someone like Steve guttenberg be?
    Would he still need to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

James Van der Been, Taylor Lautner, Drew Barrymore and Mike Myers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Blanco100 wrote: »
    James Van der Been, Taylor Lautner, Drew Barrymore and Mike Myers.

Mike Myers was in Bohemian Rhapsody recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Guttenburg really is the ultimate example for me. Emilio Estevez is another who just disappeared.

I expected Emilio to make a comeback when Kiefer Sutherland and Christian Slater started doing TV series. He seems to enjoy being behind the camera more.
    He's in the upcoming new Mighty Ducks series on Disney+.

Charlie Sheen is another that didn't exactly help his career.
    Then have ones that turn up occasionally like Mike Myers and Dana Carvey.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Macauley culkin is another who had massive success and then feel victim to the trappings of success for a bit. I will say he seems to be in a good place recently which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I expected Emilio to make a comeback when Kiefer Sutherland and Christian Slater started doing TV series. He seems to enjoy being behind the camera more.
    He's in the upcoming new Mighty Ducks series on Disney+.

Charlie Sheen is another that didn't exactly help his career.
    Then have ones that turn up occasionally like Mike Myers and Dana Carvey.

Didn’t Dana carvey have serious health issues at one point ? There’s issues between Myers and carvey also which is a shame because they were a great double act.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joe Pesci quit at his peak in 1998 aged 54 and was only convinced to return for the Irishman after years of Scorsese and De Niro pleading with him to take the role.

Phoebe Cates one of the teen stars of the 80's retired after marrying Kevin Kline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Michelle Monaghan and Ashley Judd. I guess Rose McGowan too

Probably to do with Harvey Weinstein more than anything else

Jack Raynor hasn't really kicked on to the next level like he had been hyped to

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

siblers wrote: »
    Michelle Monaghan and Ashley Judd. I guess Rose McGowan too

Probably to do with Harvey Weinstein more than anything else

Jack Raynor hasn't really kicked on to the next level like he had been hyped to

The three of them a very busy working in TV now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So far this thread feels a bit weird really...

"X disappeared!"

"No they didn't, they're on TV now / still making movies"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

We've never seen overmuch of him anyway, but will we see DDL again ever?

One of our best, Gerard McSorley, has had his demons, wonder if he will reappear again? Hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Damien Lewis has kind of disappeared from film.

He’s in Billions which I know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Whatever happened to Meg Ryan? Did Hollywood fall out of love or did she quit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zaney wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Meg Ryan? Did Hollywood fall out of love or did she quit?

I think, and this is without Googling so may be bullshít, she was a bad case of going overboard with plastic surgery, and ruined her face. Ryan kinda traded a lot on her "wholesome" girl next door beauty, so could see how it might have torpedoed her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Damien Lewis has kind of disappeared from film.

He’s in Billions which I know nothing about.

He wasn't really a film star more tv but he was in Once apon atime in Hollywood and Dream Alliance within the last 2 years.

Afaik Billions is one of the biggest TV shows in the US ,the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MfMan wrote: »
    We've never seen overmuch of him anyway, but will we see DDL again ever?

One of our best, Gerard McSorley, has had his demons, wonder if he will reappear again? Hopefully...

DDL announced his retirement after phantom thread. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Ralph Macchio was on hiatus for about 28 years.

Cobra Kai has given him a new lease of life. He looks great for almost 60.

Unfortunately some actors become typecast, e.g. Mark Hamill, Elijah Wood (for the most part), Daniel Radcliffe, etc.

Poor Kelly McGillis too.

Harrison Ford escaped and had a superb career with Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, Witness, The Fugitive, etc.

There's rumours he may appear in the newest Spider-Man film, but Tobey Maguires career stalled after his own stint as the web slinger. Not a barren CV but not a lot of note since the Great Gatsby fadó. IIRC he kinda retired to focus on poker of all things, apparently the inspiration behind Michael Ceras character in Molly's Game (with also the tattle he was a bit of an arse onset anyway; Hollywood seems very choosey on how much àsshole it can allow from its leads)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's in an awful lot more than you'd think! Nothing big, but he's a reasonably regularly working actor. Death In Paradise is his current thing.

He’s terrible in it.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jennifer grey from dirty dancing seemed to more or less vanish after that film. Didn’t she get a nose job ?

I ain't googling it, but I remember some show on VH1 or MTV in the 00s which explained 'What happened to Jennifer Grey'. Apparently she didn't like her nose at all and had work done on it after Dirty Dancing. The thing is though, she no longer looked like Baby and therefore no studio could really market her off of her fame/look from Dirty Dancing.

Advertisement