Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cuba gudding jr . havnt seen him in a while

I saw his movie about the black fighter pilots ....phoned it in

yer man that played andy difrain in shawshank redemption

For real?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

Oh he’s f**ked ! Graham Dwyer junior :)

Is he accused of actually doing anything though? Other than having a very weird kink and cheating on his wife. And not treating his mistresses nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would wonder how often some of the posters here watch a film with some of the names mentioned.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Here's a controversial one to throw into the mix, given we're circling the drain with the world of shovelware digital, "straight to DVD" productions ... ...

Bruce Willis.

One of the Big Three action stars of the 90s, and aside from that has a generally respectable CV of other work from iconic thrillers like 6th Sense to the occasional indie appearance such as Moonrise Kingdom.

But nowadays you're most likely to find him looking utterly bored and half checked-out (both onscreen and heck, even on the posters) in utter dross that fills out the very back of Amazon Prime categories. At least Nicholas CAge never gives less than 100% (crazy). And the few times he does appear on the publicity circuit, he has often cut a very surly, anti-social figure. Supposedly he can be a little hard to deal with these days, so while not "ended" I wonder if he race is run a little - specifically in the upper echelons of Hollywood.

Does Bruce even leave his couch any more , some awful movies lately that seem to green screen him in from hone :)

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Is he accused of actually doing anything though? Other than having a very weird kink and cheating on his wife. And not treating his mistresses nicely.

The messages I saw were identical to Graham Dwyer that’s about it

John travolta was in a psycho fan movie directed by Fred durst and its gold :)

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did it ruin her career though ? She was in stuff after that film and from a saved by the bell reunion on one of the US talk shows she’s done okay and isn’t bitter about it. I mean of all the saved by the bell cast she’s not the worst off. I mean poor Dustin diamond has cancer and the actress who played Lisa seems to have disappeared. The saved by the bell cast as a whole have come out the far side of stardom well.

Cancer was the least of diamonds problems:)

Strumms wrote: »
    God what happened to Gene Hackman. He’s somebody I haven’t thought about or seen in an age.. his last film was 2004... the last new release I saw him in was The Royal Tennenbaums, that’s 20 years old this year... he turns 91 in a week..

Turning 91 would be a clue

Wesley stopped paying his taxes and paid the price by going to prison. He's own fault really.

Sadly another child actor a victim of the industry. Drugs and partying. Guess the studios were not willing to invest in her given her lifestyle.

He’s vampire Wesley snipes in what we do in the shadows , he’s on the vampire council but he uses skype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

That Gandhi lad, I mean he made one brilliant movie and never saw him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Turning 91 would be a clue

Yeah, he made a conscious decision to stop and enjoy his old age, wrote a few novels. Fantastic actor, one of my favourites.

Does Bruce even leave his couch any more , some awful movies lately that seem to green screen him in from hone :)
    if there was one Actor who'd allow his image be deep-faked if there were a few bob in it, it would be Bruce Willis and I can guarantee you that the mood on set for everyone else would be 100 times better if he weren't on set.

Roseanne Barr had disappeared in to obscurity and thankfully has crawled back under a rock again after disgracing herself on her comeback.

lc180 wrote: »
    Seann William Scott - he had a massive run of successful films like the American Pie series, Road Trip, Role Models etc.
    Very much got type cast in every film though. Haven't seen him in anything in years.

Bloodline was enjoyable

gandalf wrote: »
    Mike Myers was in Bohemian Rhapsody recently...

And inglorious bastards

Joe Pesci quit at his peak in 1998 aged 54 and was only convinced to return for the Irishman after years of Scorsese and De Niro pleading with him to take the role.

Phoebe Cates one of the teen stars of the 80's retired after marrying Kevin Kline.

The best thing about the Irish man was seeing pesci again

There is a reason for that.

Lots of allegations

Ok, while today is clearly the day in my life that I am the Fountain of Knowledge on all things Jennifer Grey, let me finish with this one -

She is married to Clark Gregg, who played...

Agent Coulson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Chevy Chase, Foul Play, Caddyshack, National Lampoon's, Fletch... Then nothing

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Ralph Macchio was on hiatus for about 28 years.

Cobra Kai has given him a new lease of life. He looks great for almost 60.

Unfortunately some actors become typecast, e.g. Mark Hamill, Elijah Wood (for the most part), Daniel Radcliffe, etc.

Poor Kelly McGillis too.

Harrison Ford escaped and had a superb career with Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, Witness, The Fugitive, etc.

You obviously haven’t seen come to daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

For real?

are you talking about me butchering his name or frogetting his name is tim robbins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

And inglorious bastards
    There was talk of Wayne's World 3 but sadly nothing ever came of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jpfahy wrote: »

He was in Community and ball all accounts a racist dick

QikBax wrote: »
    Guttenberg memorably plays/lampoons himself in an episode of Party Down.

Good show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

jpfahy wrote: »

He's a classic case of an awful person to work with, so basically burned through the goodwill Hollywood allowed him. Last seen in Community and even with that latter-day resurgence couldn't resist being terrible to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have a read of the articles. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Ralph Macchio was on hiatus for about 28 years.

Cobra Kai has given him a new lease of life. He looks great for almost 60.

Unfortunately some actors become typecast, e.g. Mark Hamill, Elijah Wood (for the most part), Daniel Radcliffe, etc.

Poor Kelly McGillis too.

Harrison Ford escaped and had a superb career with Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, Witness, The Fugitive, etc.
    I think that's a bit harsh on Elijah Wood and Daniel Radcliffe they have both picked a lot of really interesting projects.

Elijah Wood - come to daddy and Maniac both really good, if small.

Daniel Radcliffe - swiss army man, kill your darling, jungle, his tv show miracle workers seems to be a decent hit too.

Neither typecast though imo.

The one I would go to is Phoebe Cates as well I can see she has been mentioned, she almost disappeared after marrying Kevin Kline I think.

Another I would add is Bridget Fonda, she is retired and married to Danny Elfman

Ok, while today is clearly the day in my life that I am the Fountain of Knowledge on all things Jennifer Grey, let me finish with this one -

She is married to Clark Gregg, who played...

Agent Coulson.
    They are divorced now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

poisonated wrote: »
    Cameron Diaz
    Retired
    Steve Guttenberg is another.
    Recurring role on "The Goldbergs"
    Amanda Bynes.
    Mental Health issues
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Rick Moranis
    Also rumoured to be in the new Ghostbusters movie (with Sigorney Weaver)
    Elijah Wood.
    Stars in "Dirk Gently"
    Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Bridget Fonda
    Heart Issues AFAIKR
    Emilio Estevez
    Opened a winery
    Returning to the screen in Mightly Ducks 3 & (I read today) Young Guns 3 (the teaser poster I say had "young" obliterated by bullet holes)
    Brendan fraser
    Health issues, then his wife divorced him getting a multi million annual alimony payout, then he was sexually assaulted by some big producer & blackballed, has been working in TV for a couple of years now
    Liv Tyler
    lives in London. Was starring in the first season of 911: LoneStar with Rob Low, but didn't join the second season because didn't want to move to Texas to shoot in the middle of Covid
    Armie Hammer
    . And now I cant watch The Lone Ranger anymore. Thanks Armie. (Career definitely over now)

I don't know full story....but the bits I have read were so weird, it has definitely damaged his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Haven't seen Michael Madsen in anything in ages. Kill Bill 2 was probably the last time.

Advertisement