Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

The John Cusak, Nic Cage, Bruce Willis, John Travolta thing is something else entirely. They are all still working away, but seemingly quite happy to make endless straight-to-video type releases, with a big movie sprinkled in there every now and then.

Just at the mention of Meg Ryan, there is that terribly sad stereotype of actresses having a lot of work done and then being almost unrecognizable.

I saw Melanie Griffith in The Path (tv show) not that long ago and got a shock when she popped up. Looked so odd. And Kathleen Turner also appeared in the show and looked a bit of a mess, but I think she's had various troubles and side effects of pain meds/steroids.

And Demi Moore appeared in the recent Brave New World tv show and I honestly had no idea it was her till the credits rolled and her name popped up.

I know that's all a bit off topic, but it's a such a sad thing to see, that these talented actresses felt compelled to contort their looks in order to keep getting hired.
    Just to say that all the women I mentioned were great in what I saw them in recently, it was just unsettling seeing what plastic surgery had done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,334 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

saabsaab wrote: »
    Adam Sandler. Nothing from him for a while now.

Except for the 2 movies a year he releases on Netflix for the last few years making himself 100's of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

santana75 wrote: »
    I think Phoebe cates was very smart in how she played her career. She prioritised raising her kids and family life over nurturing stardom. When her kids were old enough she opened a boutique in New York called Blue tree. It's very successful and she seems to have escaped the whole fame game without a scratch. I mean the fact that her and kevin Kline are still married after over 30 years is a testament to good decisions being made by both her and Kline.
    Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jnr have taken a very similar approach. To be honest it's considered the norm in most other professions so not sure why in the Film industry its often seen as some enforced exile.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Saw a fairly recent film one day with the description saying Jennifer Grey was in it. So watched a bit waiting to see what she looks like. About 15 mins into it I looked up imdb to see which character she was playing. Turned out to be the main character that I had been watching. Didn't recognise her

Yeah, her appearance was night and day after the nose job, unrecognisable.

While we're talking about her, it was her who was in that fatal car accident with Matthew Broderick in Enniskillen back in the 80s. Their relationship was a secret up until that accident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's a controversial one to throw into the mix, given we're circling the drain with the world of shovelware digital, "straight to DVD" productions ... ...

Bruce Willis.

One of the Big Three action stars of the 90s, and aside from that has a generally respectable CV of other work from iconic thrillers like 6th Sense to the occasional indie appearance such as Moonrise Kingdom.

But nowadays you're most likely to find him looking utterly bored and half checked-out (both onscreen and heck, even on the posters) in utter dross that fills out the very back of Amazon Prime categories. At least Nicholas CAge never gives less than 100% (crazy). And the few times he does appear on the publicity circuit, he has often cut a very surly, anti-social figure. Supposedly he can be a little hard to deal with these days, so while not "ended" I wonder if he race is run a little - specifically in the upper echelons of Hollywood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

yer man that played andy difrain in shawshank redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cuba gudding jr . havnt seen him in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Matthew Fox - Last role in 2015 and nothing on the horizon on IMDB .

• Registered Users Posts: 60,334 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

jonski wrote: »
    Matthew Fox - Last role in 2015 and nothing on the horizon on IMDB .

There is a reason for that.

Lots of allegations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

There is a reason for that.

Lots of allegations

Really? Do tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

saabsaab wrote: »
    Adam Sandler. Nothing from him for a while now.

Uncut Gems from 2019 is brilliant and well worth a watch. Not your usual Sandler movie at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Uncut Gems from 2019 is brilliant and well worth a watch. Not your usual Sandler movie at all.

What this thread is showing is that some of us don't really watch that many films lol :D between this and Colin Farrell I'm like, huh? :)

Even if Uncut Gems passed folk by, Sandler has a contract with netflix to basically have his holidays ... sorry, films coincidentally film at hotel resorts, paid for. It's like a, what, 6 film deal or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure Steve Guttenburg starred in the classics Lavalantula and 2 Lava 2 Lantula.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

pixelburp wrote: »
    What this thread is showing is that some of us don't really watch that many films lol :D between this and Colin Farrell I'm like, huh? :)

Even if Uncut Gems passed folk by, Sandler has a contract with netflix to basically have his holidays ... sorry, films coincidentally film at hotel resorts, paid for. It's like a, what, 6 film deal or something?

Something like that, I’ve never watched his Netflix releases but Uncut Gems is a Safdie brothers movies and very much not what you’d expect from Sandler which is why is might have passed both fans and non fans by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

cuba gudding jr . havnt seen him in a while

Last saw him in a NY courtroom awaiting sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A lot of names I'm seeing were basically only ever hired in the first place cos they were young and good looking, and as soon as those looks fade and they get older they disappear as they were never good actors or actresses.

Names like Katherine Heigl, Mischa Barton and Taylor Lautner are some that I've seen in the thread but loads more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

titan18 wrote: »
    A lot of names I'm seeing were basically only ever hired in the first place cos they were young and good looking, and as soon as those looks fade and they get older they disappear as they were never good actors or actresses.

Names like Katherine Heigl, Mischa Barton and Taylor Lautner are some that I've seen in the thread but loads more.

Lautner played a part in his own downfall, asking for huge and unrealistic fees...
    Heigl was somewhat the same by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lautner played a part in his own downfall, asking for huge and unrealistic fees...
    Heigl was somewhat the same by all accounts

If they weren't good looking, theyd never have had careers in the first place. Neither of them can act

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

Armie Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

blue note wrote: »
    Armie Hammer

There was some VERY concerning news articles about abusive relationships featuring him recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Geena Davis....
    The Fly, Beetlejuice, Thelma and Louise, A League of their own....academy award thrown in amongst those...then nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The brat pack has some success stories but also several stars who just sort of faded away.
    Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson for eg.
    I think Nelson is still working but just guest starring in a single episode here and there, CSI and the like. Saw him in a terrible B movie recently. Shame, he was a good actor.

Gene Wilder retired in the late 90s to look after his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I was going to say Jennifer Beals from Flashdance but I looked her up and she has been working non-stop :confused:

Liv Tyler seems to have dropped out of Hollyweird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

There was some VERY concerning news articles about abusive relationships featuring him recently.

Sickening if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

joe40 wrote: »
    Interesting thread, I wonder do the actors themselves take a step back, get jaded with the industry.
    How financially secure would someone like Steve guttenberg be?
    Would he still need to work.

Short answer: only his accountant or Steve himself could tell you.

Best educated guess: he made millions back in the 80s and if he invested his money wisely he could be living quite comfortably today. Some actors played the real estate game. So if he bought some houses back in the day they would be worth the pretty penny. Same goes for the stock market.

I am sure he still makes money from residuals from his movies. Especially the police academy series. But as time goes by less and less TV channels would be showing his movies. When was the last time Three men and a baby was on TV for example.

All in all tho i would think he still has millions in the bank. We've never seen him go on the likes of celebrity big brother to earn some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's in an awful lot more than you'd think! Nothing big, but he's a reasonably regularly working actor. Death In Paradise is his current thing.

He’s gone from the last 2 seasons of Death in Paradise. Ralf Little took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Tom Sizemore.

I was watching Saving Private Ryan lately and decided to check out what he was at.

Christ, that man is in a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Guttenberg's career ended when the Stonecutter's lost their influence in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

dinorebel wrote: »
    Harvey Weinstein

That’s the answer to why many young actresses had their careers suddenly end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

blue note wrote: »
    Armie Hammer

Oh he’s f**ked ! Graham Dwyer junior :)

Advertisement