Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Geena Davis....
    The Fly, Beetlejuice, Thelma and Louise, A League of their own....academy award thrown in amongst those...then nothing.
    She was in glow for a bit and was good in it.
    She was also in a film called Ava recently (starry cast it's on Netflix) with a decent part....it was awful .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was going to say Jennifer Beals from Flashdance but I looked her up and she has been working non-stop :confused:

Liv Tyler seems to have dropped out of Hollyweird.

I honestly believe if it weren’t for her fathers influence, she wouldn’t have been in Hollywood in the first place, the woman can’t act to save her life (funny I should say that), but she appears in a new show on tv alongside Rob Lowe, and frankly it’s bloody awful cringeworthy stuff altogether. I watched six episodes of the first series and couldn’t take any more -

Rob Lowe: '9-1-1: Lone Star' spinoff charts its own path, but keeps 'those OMG TV moments'

I was going to say Freddie Prinze and Sarah Michelle Gellar but they’ve been mentioned already. I’d be gone into hiding too after the embarrassment that was Scooby Doo, but SMG does tv cookery shows, no idea what Freddie is at these days.

Jessica Alba left Hollywood to start her own incredibly successful lifestyle brand - Honest.

And then there was so much promise made of Ashton Kutcher (after a well dodgy start), and Mila Kunis, but they both appear to have abandoned Hollywood for the quiet life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Tom Sizemore.

I was watching Saving Private Ryan lately and decided to check out what he was at.

Christ, that man is in a bad place.

I saw Tom Sizemore more recently in ‘Shooter’ on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

Where's Lou diamond Phillips?

Michael Fassbender starred in a string of box office failures such as Prometheus and Assassin's Creed. His performances were critically acclaimed but he never became a true star. He's was reduced to starring in Kung Fury 2.

The pandemic has destroyed the entertainment industry and it could be all over for Hollywood.
    Fassbender has made some really really poor choices alright... (the snowman was particularly disappointing given the source novel and director) but one he has coming up is the film version of "next goal wins" the doc it is based on is brilliant, he is the lead and it is directed by Taika Watiti, so fairly high profile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ok, while today is clearly the day in my life that I am the Fountain of Knowledge on all things Jennifer Grey, let me finish with this one -
    She is married to Clark Gregg, who played...
    Agent Coulson.

She played herself as a struggling actress in TV comedy series It's Like You Know which ran for 26 episodes from 1999-2001.

And popped up in Friends as Mindy, Rachel's friend who was engaged to Barry - the guy Rachel left at the altar.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jennifer grey from dirty dancing seemed to more or less vanish after that film. Didn’t she get a nose job ?

She was in a car accident with then BF Matthew Broderick up in Northern Ireland just before Dirty Dancing was released.

The passengers in the car he hit were killed, apparently she had mad survivor's guilt.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Geena Davis....
    The Fly, Beetlejuice, Thelma and Louise, A League of their own....academy award thrown in amongst those...then nothing.

The box office bomb Cutthroat Island seems to have done for her film career and Matthew Modine's, as leads at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gmisk wrote: »
    Fassbender has made some really really poor choices alright... (the snowman was particularly disappointing given the source novel and director) but one he has coming up is the film version of "next goal wins" the doc it is based on is brilliant, he is the lead and it is directed by Taika Watiti, so fairly high profile

The snowman should have been good, I can’t remember what went wrong there , was released only half finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Haven't seen Michael Madsen in anything in ages. Kill Bill 2 was probably the last time.

He made a short, almost cameo ike appearance in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The box office bomb Cutthroat Island seems to have done for her film career and Matthew Modine's, as leads at least.
    Definitely agree with that.
    Though looking at Matthew Modines Imdb he is plenty busy, he was good when he popped up in stranger things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭HBC08

Good thread.
    Steve Martin's career seemed to fall off a cliff.

The snowman should have been good, I can’t remember what went wrong there , was released only half finished?
    The below has a good summary of it (warning for spoilers)
    Seemed like an absolute disaster from the start.
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-snowman-what-on-earth-went-wrong/

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Ardent wrote: »
    John Cusack.

He was huge - and I mean HUGE - from the late 80s through to the early 00s. Outstanding actor and starred in some of the biggest movies of that time (including many of my all-time favourites).

And then he just disappeared off the face of the earth. Except he's not gone - every thing he has done in recent times has been straight-to-DVD.

Hard to know where or why it all went wrong for him.

How dare you. He was in the absolute classic that was 'Hot Tub Time Machine' only recently.

One example:)
    Chevy chase was relentlessly hateful to Terry Sweeney, suggesting that SNL's first openly gay cast member star in a sketch where they weighed him every week to see if he had AIDS. "So then he ended up having to apologize and actually coming to my office," Sweeney says. "He was really furious that he had to apologize to me."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

HBC08 wrote: »
    Good thread.

There's a guy I wish was in more. I love watching him. Saw parenthood again recently. What a great film.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Good thread.
    I think that's a tad harsh.
    He is in his 70s now he kinda seems to do whatever takes his fancy really, nothing to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Did Nick Nolte ever clean up his act?
    Apparently he didn't even know he was in Hulk until it came out.
    He was so out of his box he had absolutely no recollection of making it.

Eric Stoltz a blast from the past. He was making a name for himself at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Liv Tyler seems to have dropped out of Hollyweird.

Edit: I clicked reply to your post and didn't see One Eyed Jacks post but she's starring in 911 Lone Star

Also Mira Sorvino is someone that disappeared overnight. She won an Oscar and did nothing else after that, thanks to not playing ball with Weinstein.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    How dare you. He was in the absolute classic that was 'Hot Tub Time Machine' only recently.
    2010...doesn't time fly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

jonski wrote: »
    Matthew Fox - Last role in 2015 and nothing on the horizon on IMDB .

He had a serious drink problem. He was arrested for drunk driving at one point. There is also a lot of gossip about him abusing and beating women.

gw80 wrote: »
    Where's Lou diamond Phillips?

Keeping busy with TV work e.g. he was recurring cast in Longmire

Val Kilmer, main roles seem to have disappeared after Alexander?

Eric Stoltz a blast from the past. He was making a name for himself at one stage.
    He was in the last "has fallen" film with Gerard Butler, he mumbled and growled as usual.

I haven't seen him in anything for a while but he is in top gun maverick seemingly!

He voiced an alien character on The Mandalorian season 1!
    Spot the resemblance.

latest?cb=20200124040135&path-prefix=protagonist

MASK amazing movie with Cher, in back to the future when biff decks Marty , that’s Erick stoltz not mj fox :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's cos Kilmer was diagnosed with throat (lung cancer?) I believe to the point of requiring a laryngectomy. He now runs an art gallery in the US, seems happy with his post - acting life. The last part I saw him in was the abomynble The Snowman from 2017. He looked rough so possibly was after the surgery.

gmisk wrote: »
    I haven't seen him in anything for a while but he is in top gun maverick seemingly!

Meant to be a monstrous pr1ck

Actually he was in the aforementioned snowman with fassbender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was going to say Freddie Prinze and Sarah Michelle Gellar but they’ve been mentioned already. I’d be gone into hiding too after the embarrassment that was Scooby Doo, but SMG does tv cookery shows, no idea what Freddie is at these days.

Jessica Alba left Hollywood to start her own incredibly successful lifestyle brand - Honest.

And then there was so much promise made of Ashton Kutcher (after a well dodgy start), and Mila Kunis, but they both appear to have abandoned Hollywood for the quiet life.
    Freddie Prinze Jr does a lot voice work for animation, Star Wars etc. I think the two of them decided not to take a job outside of LA about 15 years ago so that their kids have a somewhat normal upbringing.

Kutcher is a very successful tech venture capitalist and is extremely well off as a result. No need to do tough movie shoots when you've got a net worth of $200 million and growing.

Advertisement