Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Since the start of this gen I have always gone with 60 FPS, as almost all 60 FPS modes still run at either 1440p or with dynamic res + reconstruction. Spider-Man, Ratchet and RE8 even managed raytracing at 60 FPS.

I'm starting Guardians of the Galaxy in a few days and I'm going to play that at 30 FPS, apparently the 60 FPS mode runs at 1080p and that is a deal breaker for me. I can get used to 30 FPS after a while (as long as it is locked) but a 1080p image is way too soft for me these days and would serve as a constant distraction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1440p is a pretty significant step up in pixel density from 1080p.

Saying that 4K is a pretty significant step up in pixel density from 1440p as well. I think as we go up in pixel density we are starting to see diminishing returns.

One thing to note about 1080p on a 1440p screen is that 1080p doesn't display right and will appear a lot softer than on a native 1080p screen so the effect is even more jarring going from 1080p to 1440p but also not really a fair comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

There was something i played recently, can't remember what exactly but the 'quality' mode had really nice lighting and particle effects that were missing from performance mode but you just can't turn down a 60fps option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭quokula

You could use exactly the same logic to say playing at lower resolution is never the core vision when it's possible to play at higher resolution.

Everything is always a compromise, but one of the modes will be the one that was most heavily tested and optimised for. For example if the focus was 60fps, there might be more unforgiving highly twitchy mechanics that don't work as well at 30fps, or if the focus was full resolution there might be detailed art assets that don't scale down well or gameplay that requires you to accurately identify things at a distance. All modes will be accommodated to some extent of course but it's never going to be an exact 50/50 split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,267 ✭✭✭✭Penn

60fps/Performance where available. 30fps is fine, but I prefer better framerate over graphics, as I'm far enough from the TV that there's not a huge difference between 1080p and 4k compared to the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Given what's going on in the world I wouldn't be going around coughing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Presenting the greatest video game trailer of all time...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,738 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Loop Hero - one of the year's best games, or at least one of its most addictive (in a good way!) - is free via Epic for the next 24 hours. It's a delightful take on the roguelite, automating a lot of the usual gameplay stuff like combat/movement and instead has you craft and edit the map as you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Loop Hero free on Epic until 4pm tomorrow (21st). Sorry for the necro but I knew I'd seen it mentioned before here somewherre

• Advertisement

Observer System Redux is intense! Probably not the best game to play before bed after a dream/mind hack. The stealth bits are so unnecessary, pity they were included but the actual mind hack is brilliant.

Well Observer was great but what an immersive mind ****, the devs nailed what they were going for.

I see 12 Minutes was added to Playstation store on 7th December. I know it got bad reviews but I still really wanna play it. Not for 25 though, will wait for a sale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Play Outer Wilds or Fogotten City instead. They're similar except not ****.

Played the absolute shyte out of those already, as well as Obra Dinn.

I'm just on PlayStation.

Not sure if it was this thread or another one but there were recommendations to play Thronebreaker which gave the combo of single player gwent and story. It's currently on sale on psn for 6 euro (down from 20) so gonna give it a go. Damn Witcher on Netflix giving me cravings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Damn Witcher on Netflix giving me cravings.

True, but to play the actual game.

Started it yesterday and I'm a good few hours in now. It's definitely scratching the Gwent itch, but definitely a lot trickier. In some ways it's easier than Gwent in The Witcher. It doesn't seem to matter if you put melee cards on the ranged line or vice versa. There's also two types of fight so far; standard battles and puzzle fights (where you are given set cards and have to carry out specific tasks, like kill one specific enemy without killing any others, or get all enemies down to 1hp). Those are trickier because there's only really one way to get it done which you have to find.

The overworld part where you run around the map talking to people and collecting resources is also simple enough to not detract focus from the Gwent side of things, while still being engaging enough and giving you choices along the way that will affect resources etc.

At 6quid, if you liked Gwent, I say go for it. First hour or two where its more tutorial can be a bit slow, but after that it builds nicely. I'm happy I bought it, and I bought it about a week ago at full price because I didn't think of the sale.

Haven't started it yet, will do over Christmas but the thought of it just makes me want to play Witcher 3 just to go on an ingame Gwent adventure, feck Ciri :)

Looking forward to the next gen version whenever that decides to release next year.

Happy Christmas everyone. Hope Santa brings ye all the games on your wishlist. Had some great chats here throughout the year despite the new site definitely reducing traffic.

Christmas tip: save those vouchers and cash for February, your wallet will thank you later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good interview with Warren Spector, he who brought us Deus Ex. Perhaps nothing too new or revelatory but fun to hear the man speak of the process.

And now, because I invoked the name, at least a dozen of you are reinstalling Deus Ex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭quokula

There's a trio of Tomb Raider games free on Epic Game Store at the moment. I haven't played any TR games since the PS1 originals so might finally get around to giving them a go.

I think the names of the games go a long way to explain why I haven't got around to playing them because they're a bit confusing when you haven't been following the series. There's Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration, there's Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, and there's Tomb Raider Game of The Year edition. I have literally no idea what order these games are in, if they're direct sequels of each other, if they're reboots, if they're remakes, or what (yes I know I can just look it up...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yeah it's a reboot trilogy with a connective story. For anyone wondering it goes Tomb Raider (GOTY), Rise, then Shadow.

I've played every major (non-mobile) TR game since 1996 except for Shadow and I still had to look up the order 🤪

Nice free games. Played the first two, they're good games well worth playing. 3rd jas been on the to do list for a long time, I'm pretty sure it's been and gone on game pass which I never got round to playing so it's good to be able to pick it up for free again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just finished Halo Infinite. Good game. But just as I type this the credits are rolling on the screen. Man, there really is no difference from movies and games anymore with the amount of people who work on a project.

No wonder we get a lot of the same ol same ol in aaa games. Too much money at stake to be taking big risks. Kinda miss the ps2 days.

Edit.

Credits are over 20 minutes long. Sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Said I'd hold off on another playthrough until my SteamDeck arrives but here I am downloading it for the Switch. Loved series 2, totally captures the vibe of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nooo. The next gen version is a few months away!

Have the blood and stone dlc or whatever its called saved for the next gen enhancement. Although I'll either still be playing Valhalla or only just finished it and will have no desire to tackle another RPG. Oh and there's Halo Infinite as well which definitely has to be played first. So yeah I guess I won't be playing Witcher 3 after all!

• Advertisement

Hearts of stone is the first expansion and absolutely brilliant. Blood and wine is the second expansion was a better game than most full games released. I'm looking forward to my next gen Witcher playthrough for that alone. I haven't played vahalla but I've a feeling blood and wine alone will piss all over it.

The Witcher on Netflix gave me cravings for the game too, but as the next-gen upgrade isn't out yet for TW3 I went for Thronebreaker, the Gwent game instead.

It's great, but it crashes a hell of a lot. It's absolutely ridiculous at times. There was one point it took me over 5 tries to even get into the game because it kept crashing loading the main menu. Really spoils the experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God I must really try to swallow my hatred of the tutorial and overall feel of the thing, and give Witcher 3 another attempt.

Took me a while to get into it too, and there's a section in the middle of the game that is just god-awful in terms of pacing. I still wouldn't have the reverence for it that most do, but for the most part it is a great game.

I could never get into TW3. I found the actual RPG mechanics (great story =/= great RPG) to be too shallow. But if the upgrade is free I might give it another shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,222 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone played Kena? It's on sale and I might get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Playing it at the moment, finding it good so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

RE Kena: Pondering on it, reviews were very mixed with some saying it lacked in story and depth and has a play through time of just 9-10hrs. I mean, I'm not looking for anything very thorough right now just want some eye candy, but they do tend to throw you off. I don't think it's worth €40, but atm it's 29.99 on Epic and I have a €10 voucher on there, I think it might be worth €20

[edit] I think I talked myself into it, nothing else I fancied using the voucher on, so downloading now 😁

What I get from it is that it does absolutely nothing new and is a carbon copy of Zelda but it does it well and looks very pretty.

It's more a throw back to older ps2/ps3 '3D platformers' like beyond good & evil or Jak and Dexter, I don't get Zelda series vibes from it at all. I think that's a go-to comparison for every other adventure platformer that gets released. Bit like saying The Witcher series was a carbon copy of the Elder scrolls series

Ah I wasn't suggesting Valhalla is better than Witcher 3. Just that it'll take me months to finish it and by then the last thing I'll want to do is get into another Rpg.

• Advertisement

Ah wasn't jumping in to defend Witcher dlc, Just recommending to try it at some stage :)

I sunk 150hrs into TW3 before finishing, and I still have a tonne of side quests left unfinished. It's certainly not anything close to a 'casual' game. Like you I can only handle one 'epic' sized game at a time. I started the first expansion but was suffering a bit of burnout at the time after just completeing the main, but damn, is it worth it! Must get back to the DLC soon

I found that as soon as you get past the bloody/drunken baron quest the game opens up. But I will say the Skellige arc can drag a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Steam at it again!!!

I own Arma Cold War assault from when it was free in 2014 but its gone from my account as someone just gifted it to me.

I also have the disc version of it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And the Dandeloin arc... The only bit I'm not looking forward to on the next gen update. And it goes on...

I thought the Baron quest was one of the better ones overall tbh, but you're right it really gets going from there onward.

'Now where did i put me bloody vodka!?'

The game really gets going after 20 hours. 😁

Yeah that was the worst for me.

Find Dandelion

*15 missions later*

Find Dandelion and produce a play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is Kena ever coming to Xbox? I could get it on PC but prefer playing on Xbox for achievements.

Time was I'd probably be fine with that but funny how circumstances change. Nowadays that feels like an unreasonable investment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement