Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

My sister-in-law's sister had a different kind of magnetism. She was a very wholesomely pretty girl/woman but she exuded an aura of sex appeal, likeability, was non-threatening, I can't even think of words to describe it which caught people's attention, both male and female. She could turn it on and off. I don't know if she did this instinctively or whether she was able to at will. I noticed it, particularly when I met her first in London and a group of us got on the Tube. It wasn't rush hour but the seats were full and we were standing. Within a minute everyone in the carriage was looking at her. I've never seen anything like it. Every single person gazing at her. Eyes up from newspapers, books, walkmans, whatever. I saw some beautiful women/handsome men/weird characters/threatening characters in my Tube travelling days but I never saw every single person in the vicinity looking at them the way those people gazed at that girl. In general, though she was one of those people, and there aren't many, who you immediately like, trust, want to know better, etc even when you know you shouldn't. I haven't met her for years so I don't know whether she still has this 'gift' for want of a better word.

Any pics of this siren? I’m attracted to her just reading your description. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

timthumbni wrote: »
    Any pics of this siren? I’m attracted to her just reading your description. Lol.

There’s something about Mary

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I used to know a guy like that, too. He could just quietly walk into any room (the hall of a hotel, what have you), and within three seconds the whole room would go quiet and all the eyes would be on him. I don't know if he realised that that didn't happen to everyone, and/or if it bothered him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

I only know one person like that and she was astonishingly good looking, like far beyond your “yes she’s attractive” standard woman, she’s famous now. All eyes and ears on her, long before the fame came along.

Most attractive people will get stared at IME, and then you have the anomalies who are just in a league of their own and people won’t even try to keep their eyes off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I only know one person like that and she was astonishingly good looking, like far beyond your “yes she’s attractive” standard woman, she’s famous now. m.

Who? If she’s famous then it’s hardly a secret? An Irish person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

My sister-in-law's sister had a different kind of magnetism. She was a very wholesomely pretty girl/woman but she exuded an aura of sex appeal, likeability, was non-threatening, I can't even think of words to describe it which caught people's attention, both male and female. She could turn it on and off. I don't know if she did this instinctively or whether she was able to at will. I noticed it, particularly when I met her first in London and a group of us got on the Tube. It wasn't rush hour but the seats were full and we were standing. Within a minute everyone in the carriage was looking at her. I've never seen anything like it. Every single person gazing at her. Eyes up from newspapers, books, walkmans, whatever. I saw some beautiful women/handsome men/weird characters/threatening characters in my Tube travelling days but I never saw every single person in the vicinity looking at them the way those people gazed at that girl. In general, though she was one of those people, and there aren't many, who you immediately like, trust, want to know better, etc even when you know you shouldn't. I haven't met her for years so I don't know whether she still has this 'gift' for want of a better word. .

When I read this it reminded me of our youngest child. I'd never seen anything like it before & it is pretty astonishing to witness. It's not just about looks either, there's more to it. It's hard to put it into words ,but it is like she has an 'aura' about her that draws people in.

She's only 9 but even now the extended family refer to her as 'The Leader'.:eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Allure, I think it's called. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

timthumbni wrote: »

Not on your life. Anyhow, you can't see it or feel it from a photo.
    When I read this it reminded me of our youngest child. I'd never seen anything like it before & it is pretty astonishing to witness. It's not just about looks either, there's more to it. It's hard to put it into words ,but it is like she has an 'aura' about her that draws people in.

She's only 9 but even now the extended family refer to her as 'The Leader'.:eek:

Is she aware of it? Make sure you teach her to use it for good. That woman I posted about although generally lovely could be pretty ruthless on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Is she aware of it? Make sure you teach her to use it for good. That woman I posted about although generally lovely could be pretty ruthless on occasion.

Hard to tell. She has a sister 5 years older who had the usual problems at her age.

This one just sails thru life. Winner at everything.

However, she is not particularly sociable. She's shy, likes to keep to herself & hates to be the center of attention.

Amid her peers, she has no interest in pecking orders or being 'top dog'. She doesn't care what they think about her really.

And yet they really worship her & all of them want to be her friend. I think she tolerates them rather than hurting their feelings really.

I'm not really a kiddie person myself & have as a result always been fairly hard nosed about my own kids. I'm the kind of parent that can easily say no.

Still, I sometimes look at that kid reading a book or whatever & find myself hypnotized & fascinated looking at her face & wondering at what is going on in that head of hers.

As I said before, there's something about her that really draws you in, but I can't explain exactly what it is.

All I know is that a lot of people have the same reaction to her.

If she's like this at 9. What will she be like in 10 years time?:eek:

Edit; I hate to think I'm derailing one of my favorite threads on boards, but I just had to answer that question. Sorry all.

Moar creepy stories please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Not at all, fascinating twist of direction I think. Not sure I've met anyone as described above but it's quite an intriguing phenomenon.

Especially as I have a baby on the way and me and my partner are thinking forward to what our little person be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Anyhow, you can't see it or feel it from a photo.
    I dunno.. I have a genuinely creepy ability to appreciate a woman's allure from a photo...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I went out just before true dawning last week to gather evergreens. Love that dim coolth. Just enough light to show shapes and a glimmer on the surrounding ocean.

WHO PLANTED THAT TREE? NEW POWER POLE?

Looming tall shape I had never seen before. skin started crawling..breath catching...walking stick at the ready....

Then..... it moved, and I was rooted to the spot.

Dratted huge Spanish mule out loose again.... been indoors so many months I had forgotten. we danced warily round each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

*I didn't expect this post to be so long but once I got typing, I couldn't stop. I always preview long posts for spelling and grammar mistakes but there are parts of this post that I think some people might find upsetting, especially if they have experience of end stage cancer, so I have spoilered these parts. I was between two minds about posting this but it is my real life experience and to be honest, it's something I've wanted to get off my chest for a long time and it's not exactly the type of thing you bring up in conversation.

Not creepy but unnerving. My mother died of cancer nearly three years ago. She was always a proud woman and very stubborn. So stubborn she refused morphine to the end. She had a false set of top teeth which she hated. Towards the end she didn't have the energy to wash them so that was my job which I did discreetly.

She had her whole funeral planned out. She had a pathological fear of being eaten by worms so wanted to be cremated and did not want to be embalmed. She made me promise that after she passed I would give her the last dignity of putting in her teeth. Of course I agreed. Which lead me to doing research on rigor mortis. I knew from watching tv shows that it can set in at different times but I wanted to know because I had to be prepared. I read that in people with loss body mass, it can set in as early as half an hour.
    The day she passed was horrendous. She couldn't talk but was still trying to communicate. She couldn't speak and was trying to communicate but we didn't know what she was saying. It was the most awful thing to want to help her but not being able to do anything. The doctor came in the evening and gave her a relaxant. I hope it helped to calm her mind. Around 11 we knew the time was near. We put on her favourite music and about ten of her loved ones were around her bed. After a while we weren't sure if she was still alive or not. Her breathing had been so shallow you couldn't see a difference. I remember trying to take her pulse and couldn't find one but when I tried to take my own, I couldn't find it either. It would have been comical if it wasn't so serious.
    By 11.30ish we knew she was gone. She was going cold at this stage and the doctor was called. Everyone left the room to process what had happened and I went into practical mode. My sisters went upstairs to compose themselves because they knew they had to dress Mum in her chosen outfit. My brother wanted to wait until the doctor had come but I didn't. I knew what I had to do and I promised Mum I'd do it in private. I got her teeth, put the powder on, applied some water and put them in her mouth. I held them in place for a few seconds but when I let go, they fell down her throat. I nearly shat myself at this stage but told myself to cop on. I used a teaspoon to get them out and on my second attempt I got them in place.
    My sisters came in and together we dressed Mum in the outfit of her choice. By this stage rigor mortis was setting in and we couldn't close her mouth. We had to tie a headscarf underneath her chin and around her head. The doctor came in and pronounced her. All the other relatives/friends who had been contacted started arriving. I called her two closest friends who lived in other counties to let them know. People were saying the rosary and I'm not religious and didn't know what to do with myself, so I went to bed.

We had the wake - day in the house, followed by funeral mass in the local church, wake in the local pub and the next day it was up to Dublin for the cremation. I had told my siblings a week earlier that I knew I couldn't cope emotionally with the crematorium and they mostly respected that. So off they went and while I knew I had made the right decision, I didn't factor being left in the house on my own. My uncle came over to check on me and I was like "I'm fine, don't worry".
    After he left, I fell asleep on the couch and I had the most fcuked up nightmare I've ever had in my life. I dreamt that my mother wasn't dead and she was begging us to see that she was alive. Then she was begging us to kill her because she was in pain. This went on and on interchangeably until I woke up. Once awake, I knew it wasn't real but I still felt like sh!t and didn't know what to do with myself. The house was too quiet. It was just me and the dogs. Again I went into practical mode and just started cleaning up (the house was kind of a mess because of the wake) but I've never felt so lonely in all my life.
    I had a lot of nightmares in the beginning but haven't had one in a while. The whole thing was hands down the most unnerving experience I've ever had and not one I'd wish on anyone. There was a thread recently on AH about assisted dying and if it ever comes through in this country and I ever find myself in my mother's position, I will be pressing that button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Had a dream last night about the olde days when we were kids.
    Strange dream to have really.
    Was laughing about it this morning when a call came in to say my sister just died in England.
    (RIP sis)

Sorry for your loss, horrible time of year for it to happen too, my mother died in December, but at least your sis visited you one last time to say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Was in my house alone last eek.Kids in school.So decided to go to bed for an hour.Fell asleep fast,but i felt something climbing on the bed.Was like a cat climbing.We dont have any pets

Anyway was about to drop off again ,and then bam.Heard my partner call my youngest childs name 3 times.Increasingly louder.

Thats when i realised i was about to have an sleep paralysis.So i moved my little toe and brought myself out.

Havent had one of them in years.Really freaked me out for ages after.Felf really disorianted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

dubstarr wrote: »
    Was in my house alone last eek.Kids in school.So decided to go to bed for an hour.Fell asleep fast,but i felt something climbing on the bed.Was like a cat climbing.We dont have any pets

Anyway was about to drop off again ,and then bam.Heard my partner call my youngest childs name 3 times.Increasingly louder.

Thats when i realised i was about to have an sleep paralysis.So i moved my little toe and brought myself out.

Havent had one of them in years.Really freaked me out for ages after.Felf really disorianted

Relevant typo to this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My sister-in-law's sister had a different kind of magnetism..

Jaysus, it took me far too long to work out how the hell your sister in laws sister, wasn't also your sister in law!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Bit of a strange one. Where I work there is one particular area where there is a row of about maybe 12 - 15 lights. They were installed maybe a year ago so there has never been any issues with the lights, they are always constant. One particular night maybe a month or so ago I was on a late shift and had to visit this area. All the lights were shining brightly as usual, but as I approached one particular one it started blinking on and off rapidly maybe 6 or 7 times. I didn't take too much notice.

Fast forward to today and I was in the area again. Doing my usual stuff, it was maybe 6.15 or 6.20 p.m. I was standing in front of the same light when I felt someone or something touch me on the back. I thought it was one of the lads I deal with trying to frighten me, as that it something we always do for laughs, but there was no one or anything else there. I tried to rationalise it by saying maybe I touched off something, but there was nothing I could have touched off for maybe 3 or 4 feet in any direction. Don't know what to make of it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was away for a few weeks visiting my brother and he got married in an old estate type house maybe from the 1800's about an hour outside Adelaide , family were staying in the main house and then you had converted outhouses outside where we stayed, me and 2 of my brothers stayed in one where we slept down stairs in a type of basement and then my parents slept upstairs and that's where the bathroom was as well, anyway when the wedding was on i used the bathroom and turned off all the lights when I was leaving,this I'm certain of , I locked up and went back to the party, I wasn't drinking much, at that stage I had maybe 4 beers in me, I had the key and no one asked me for it in that time, so I went back to the room again to get something about an hr and a half later and got a bit of fright as the bathroom light was on when know for a fact I turned it off and then I heard footsteps downstairs, I froze and hesitantly went down to check, nothing there, freaked the ****e outta me! I grabbed what I wanted and got out of there fast! Although a beautiful place I got a weird vibe from the place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Canard wrote: »

It probably hasn't been posted here because it's not a direct experience like the thread requires. There is a long-running creepy/scary/worst murderers etc thread knocking about some place in AH. It hasn't surfaced for a while but maybe it was posted there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

It probably hasn't been posted here because it's not a direct experience like the thread requires. There is a long-running creepy/scary/worst murderers etc thread knocking about some place in AH. It hasn't surfaced for a while but maybe it was posted there.

Ah, you’re totally correct, that’s the thread I was actually thinking of but this one has been around more so I got mixed up :o well, wrong thread, but still nice and creepy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Went to bed a few weeks back, hubbie was away so by myself, literally like a minute into trying to go asleep I feel something on the bed kinda like putting pressure on my leg, I instinctively kick it away without thinking anything then it happens again and I think oh god is there a mouse in the room, I quickly turn on the light but nothing is there. A few minutes later it happens again I use my phone light straightaway onto the bed, nothing to see but definitely something strange happened, it wasn't ominous though and I didn't feel unsafe so maybe it was just my mum who passed away 14 years ago. Another two incidents happened about 20 years ago when I was 18 still living with my parents, going to bed one night and just turned off light I can hear breathing in my ear as I lie in my bed, I kid you not, I sit up turn on bedside light, I can still hear it, like someone is right beside breathing in my ear, I literally was frozen in fear and stayed there with the light on all night, fell asleep eventually. Told my parents next morning and they laughed at me, don't think they believed me, I still recall it perfectly to this day. The other one in that house was more minor and possibly a dream, I woke up and saw image of a woman float away from me. I've no idea why I'd have incidents happen 20 years apart in two different places, it's weird. Afterward and as time goes by you wonder did I imagine that?..who knows for sure what tricks our mind plays on us.
    One thing about my parents house I didn't know until I told them about that incident was the people before them that lived there told them after they bought it that they should hang garlic in each corner of house and garden to keep bad spirits away. My mum never told me because I was child when we moved there and she didn't want to scare me plus she thought the lady was off the wall anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Hope all contributers and Mods on this forum (and all of the others) had a wonderful Christmas Day, and I wish you all the very best for 2019.

Keep the stories coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Last night I heard lots of noise downstairs.....

Someone kept talking about ho's ho's ho's......

Very jolly he sounded but I couldn't get myself together to look....

I heard footsteps on the stairs so i jumped out the window...,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

This isn't creepy as such, more comforting, I will share it anyway as I haven't had anything to contribute in ages. I have a graduation photo of mine with parents and sibling on the wall and I just cannot get it to stay straight. Every other picture on the wall is straight as a dye. My daughter went to a medium recently and was told without even mentioning anything that my Dad is trying to make himself known by moving the picture. The other day I was sitting in the room on my own in silence and I looked at the picture and was thinking it was more crooked again when the TV turned itself on to the RTE news. The remotes were over the other side of the room from me so it's not like I could have leant or sat on one by mistake. I had to laugh as all I could think of was Dad saying "whisssshhht up will ya, the news is on" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

One experience has stayed with me forever. I have always been more sensitive than the average person, I sense very much when people are hiding distress, I can sense when people are using me or others, its an internal radar that's very overwhelming at times. When I was 14, I was staying in my cousins house, we were playing video games and he asked me to get the new game that he had left in his bedroom upstairs. I didn't like being upstairs on my own, I don't know why, I never had a bad experience up there the few times I was there but it just frightened me, lots of shadows and a heavy atmosphere.

I braced myself and went up to get it, my skin prickled the second I got to the top of the stairs, again I don't know if it was because I was just so nervous or there was something there. I was humming to distract myself, and I walked in to get the game off the bed. As I turned to leave, I sensed something move in my peripheral vision, I whirled around and saw a big tall hooded monk-like man dressed in black staring at me from within the mirror on my cousins bedroom wall. It had no eyes nose or mouth just blackness but I knew it was staring right at me. My heart stopped and some instinct kicked in and my legs moved me down the stairs again. I ran from the house and cried the whole way home, when I got home I got sick and I couldn't sleep for months. I had to tell my cousin I fled with some sickness because I knew nobody would believe me.

To this day its something i don't share because most people simply don't believe in stuff like that but ive never experienced anything as vivid before or since. With the benefit of maturity and getting old, i wonder did i work myself into such a state of fear before going upstairs that my mind actually played tricks on me and yet i can still remember the way he leaned out from the mirror and just stared at me with pure nothingness Its a part of my life i will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I had an experience many years ago. I woke for work, got up had the shower, the usual stuff, heard on the radio that Pope John Paul had died, went into work and said to people "did you hear John Paul died". They all looked at me like I had two heads, turned on the news on the radio and telly, no definitely hasn't died. At 4pm that afternoon John Paul died. Seriously creepy.

Today I had a premonition that Sinead O'Connor died so if that happens shortly we'll know I have a gift. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Like the other poster, not creepy but comforting.

When my mother died I put all her stuff away, clothes, perfume etc.

About three weeks after she passed I started smelling her perfume. Not all the time, just now and again. Went on for about 18 months and then just stopped.

Made me feel like she was keeping an eye out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tamara25

I love all these stories, find them very interesting to say the least! I wouldn’t consider myself to be a very sensitive person ie to unusual occurrences. But I will share my story here. Before me & my husband had kids he would often go out for a few drinks & I would be left alone in the house which I never minded. This particular night I was in bed before he came home & had fallen asleep. I guess I was dreaming & half awake also. I had this feeling that someone had come into the bedroom. I can remember distinctly sitting bolt upright & asking this person can I help you there? Obviously it wasn’t a real person. My husband came home later on & he said he had a feeling that maybe there was someone outside/near our house. He deliberately walked around the house checking before he came inside. He didn’t see anyone. On another occasion I was asleep again on my own & woke up during the night. I can remember clearly seeing like a black face quite near me. It was very angry looking. The first thought that came into my head was pretend you are half asleep (even though I was alert at the time) & not to acknowledge you see it. So I did that & turned around & fell asleep shortly afterwards. It wasn’t the most pleasant experience but it’s still very clear in my mind all these years later.

Advertisement