Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    In other funny news if you Google "idiot" normally you would get a few images of Trump...well because he is! But Google were testifying yesterday and the good old GOP are up in arms because of this and the Google exc had to explain why this happens. ANYWAY now if you Google idiot it's all Trump :):):)

Same google exec at the same questioning had to explain that Google do not manufacture iphones

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It was never just Cohen's testimony, that is simply the line trotted out by Trump and Guiliani to try to discredit the whole thing.

No prosecutor walks into a court with nothing but the evidence of a known liar. There has to be something else. They would have found the paper trial from the raid on Cohen offices.

And are we supposed to believe that Cohen simply turned without any pressure? HE simply had a Paul to Damascus conversion? No. He was faced with the evidence and had nowhere left to turn.

Whilst he may be upset at 3 years, the alternative, no cooperating, would have led to far far worse. You can bet there is a plethora or other crimes that they simply ignored as part of the deal.

Sorry, fair point and I absolutely agree. I just mean in terms of evidence we have seen and that the perpetrators of that evidence are admitting to it, anyone just claiming that Cohen is lying to save his own skin due to other stuff he was involved in must now accept that a separate culpable party has now verified it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

No doubt, 3 years is a long time. However, I'm sure parole or time-off for good behaviour will knock a chunk off that.

EDit: actually, as it's a Federal conviction, parole.may not apply..

The real benefit for Cohen is that he will have time to chronicle all the shady deals over the years as a foundation for a well-written work of 'fiction' by a good author (mebbe Stephen King) who will be able to write it in a way that doesn't expose Cohen to further legal jeopardy. The advance on that ought to be worth a million or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

circadian wrote: »
    I suspect the hammer is going to drop on Don Jr very soon.

Sater, Stone and such before it gets to the Inner Circle of family. Like a game of Round the Board in darts, Mueller is rounding them up in a very clear order of low to high, with Trump being the Bullseye..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

According to Mueller's office, he provided good information regarding links between a certain presidential campaign and a certain foreign government. It's not clear which campaign or foreign government they mean here but the article speculates that it refers to the Trump campaign and the Russian government.
    Contrasting sharply with the statement by Roos, Mueller’s prosecutor Jeannie Rhee delivered measured praise of Cohen, commending the lawyer for providing “credible” and “valuable information” regarding “any links between a campaign and a foreign government.”

“Mr. Cohen has sought to tell us the truth,” Rhee said.

“There’s only so much we can say about the particulars at this time, given our ongoing investigation,” she added.

The Special Counsel’s Office, with which Cohen met seven times, investigated a matter closer to the heart of the Russia probe: negotiations between Trump and Putin’s inner circles about a Moscow real estate deal that extended deep into the 2016 presidential campaign.

Despite having previously told Congress that talks fizzled out in January, Cohen admitted to a federal judge last month that this was a lie that he told “out of loyalty” to Trump. Cohen exchanged messages several months later with with Felix Sater, an intermediary linked to the Russian mafia who later told BuzzFeed News that Trump had promised Putin a $50 million penthouse in the tower, which was never built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

The sheer volume of criminality Trumpworld wallows in means it's tough to keep it all in mind at once (though I'd recommend Seth Abramson's Proof of Collusion as a handy compendium of the whole Rusher thing).

I had forgotten Mr Pecker of the National Enquirer, who was running a catch and kill programme for scandalous stories on celebrities and politicians, including Trump, which he kept in a safe in his office.
    He has just raised his, er, head, again.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/12/national-enquirer-trump-payments-david-pecker-catch-and-kill

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Being on Peckers good side does help..

Screenshot_2018-08-23_at_2.59.23_PM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Being on Peckers good side does help..

Screenshot_2018-08-23_at_2.59.23_PM.png

Classy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No doubt anyone who accuses a reputable news source to be fake news, reads a publication like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

UsedToWait wrote: »
    The sheer volume of criminality Trumpworld wallows in means it's tough to keep it all in mind at once (though I'd recommend Seth Abramson's Proof of Collusion as a handy compendium of the whole Rusher thing).

I had forgotten Mr Pecker of the National Enquirer, who was running a catch and kill programme for scandalous stories on celebrities and politicians, including Trump, which he kept in a safe in his office.
    He has just raised his, er, head, again.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/12/national-enquirer-trump-payments-david-pecker-catch-and-kill

:pac:
    If so, they would have a smoking gun by now.

• Advertisement

Veteran Democratic operative Donna Brazile finally admitted that she used her former position as a CNN commentator to relay questions ahead of debates to Hillary Clinton during the Democratic primary.

For months, Brazile has avoided confirming that hacked emails from the campaign showed her forwarding the questions, which were asked at separate debates. But in a new essay for Time magazine looking back on the hackings, she said it was true.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/donna-brazile-finally-admits-she-shared-debate-questions-with-clinton-campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

An_Toirpin wrote: »

LOCK HER UP!!!

and possibly, when you're at it, lock up the campaign finance violating, foreign government colluding, habitual lying, climate change denying idiot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Sater, Stone and such before it gets to the Inner Circle of family. Like a game of Round the Board in darts, Mueller is rounding them up in a very clear order of low to high, with Trump being the Bullseye..

Lets not jump to hasty conclusions on Cohen: the President's lawyer being sentenced to jail today sheds no more light on the President than the convictions of the President's campaign manager, the President's deputy campaign manager, the President's national security adviser, or the President's campaign adviser.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    LOCK HER UP!!!

and possibly, when you're at it, lock up the campaign finance violating, foreign government colluding, habitual lying, climate change denying idiot too.

There is no evidence of illegal collusion and being a sceptic of climate change is hardly a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,560 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

AMI the parent company of the national enquirer are in a cooperation agreement with mueller and they spell out clearly that they made a payment at the request and in cooperation with one or more officials of the trump campaign. I mean in any normal US political cycle this would bring down many political campaigns.

Lets not jump to hasty conclusions on Cohen: the President's lawyer being sentenced to jail today sheds no more light on the President than the convictions of the President's campaign manager, the President's deputy campaign manager, the President's national security adviser, or the President's campaign adviser.
    People who spew such unpleasantness like this is why the political climate in the US is so extremely bipartisan and toxic.

Well actually yes it sheds no light if it is based on charges that precedes his political involvement. Your hypothesis is just not credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

:pac:
    If so, they would have a smoking gun by now.

Smocking

There is no evidence of illegal collusion and being a sceptic of climate change is hardly a crime?

If Trump is eventually jailed for crimes ranging from election funding fraud to outright tax evasion, will you feel somewhat vindicated in saying "Well, at least it wasn't for 'illegal' collusion"?

Well actually yes it sheds no light if it is based on charges that precedes his political involvement. Your hypothesis is just not credible.

Of course, not credible at all. Four men in jail is certainly not the stuff of credibility. I hope Mueller does a more credible job with Individual #1.

• Advertisement

If Trump is eventually jailed for crimes ranging from election funding fraud to outright tax evasion, will you feel somewhat vindicated in saying "Well, at least it wasn't for 'illegal' collusion"?

Look I don't believe he did such, but if evidence is found then Id change my mind. The idea he evaded tax is possible, a very high amount of people do evade taxes but the the theory of Russian collusion is outrageous. So many people want to lock him up yet no one can prove anything.

Of course, not credible at all. Four men in jail is certainly not the stuff of credibility. I hope Mueller does a more credible job with Individual #1.

The crimes were highly varied and there is no consistent thread running through them. Irish people's grasp of US politics is so shallow.

So many people want to lock him up yet no one can prove anything.

Oh, I believe there is one man who can do just that.

Oh, I believe there is one man who can do just that.

They have been saying any day now for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I got to thinking about the Don, Nancy and Chuck meeting in front of Mike and the media, with Don delivering what people may have seen as an attempt of a public dressing-down to both Dem leaders in both houses of congress [I'm still President in control of the Govt - even though you have a majority in the house of Reps].

I've re-evaluated it to include Don as sending the same message to Mike, as I see no other reason for his presence at the meeting and reckon things are definitely not rosy between Don and Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It's like a bad habit they picked up from another person, even though it's now a he, not a she being referred to for locking up without being convicted in court of any crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The crimes were highly varied and there is no consistent thread running through them. Irish people's grasp of US politics is so shallow.

Obviously, Irish people won't under your nuanced arguments so perhaps you should consider posting elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For someone claiming to understand the nuance of American politics, have you actually looked at the historical information around special counsel investigations & their run times.

Compared to most others in the past, Mueller is moving exceptionally fast & his pace of conviction rate is outstripping all other previous investigations massively.

Chances are Mueller still has a long way to go before everything is wrapped up, but everything is pointing towards 1 outcome as things stand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Investigation is moving exceptionally quickly

atd-indictments-0514.png?w=575

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

aloyisious wrote: »
    reckon things are definitely not rosy between Don and Mike.

That's definitely true - no question - I'd say Trump is raging that he can't fire the VP. And I am convinced it was Pence who wrote that anonymous letter in the New York Times a few months back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement