Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,898 ✭✭✭✭unkel

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Have a report on one of the guys 4kw set up: 310 units per month on average 3kw set up would then be: 232 units maybe? Don't know how much would be wasted out of that?

Total production is about right for a south facing setup in most decent solar areas in Ireland. A lot of that will not be used though. A quick calc to show what you are up against. Figures also plucked out of the air, but you get the idea, you can change my parameters etc.:

Let's say your average solar production hours over the day are 10AM to 6PM (you get a little bit more in summer, but a lot less in winter) and during those hours the average probability of producing 400W or more during all those hours is maybe 60% (when it is overcast or when it rains, you won't make 400W even in the middle of the day). That means:

8 hours per day * 365 days * 60% * 0.4kW base load * 16c/kWh = saving of €112 per year. Throw in another €20 or €30 of savings for the times your system does produce, but less than your base load and you are talking realistic savings without actively managing any applications, so a payback of closer to 30 years. Pump for solar thermal uses very little power.
    Day rate, night rate argument I get but I cant get herself to do two washes at night

You're not alone there :D

At least your other half will run the machines when the sun shines, which will make above figures a bit better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

unkel wrote: »
    Total production is about right for a south facing setup in most decent solar areas in Ireland. A lot of that will not be used though. A quick calc to show what you are up against. Figures also plucked out of the air, but you get the idea, you can change my parameters etc.:

Let's say your average solar production hours over the day are 10AM to 6PM (you get a little bit more in summer, but a lot less in winter) and during those hours the average probability of producing 400W or more during all those hours is maybe 60% (when it is overcast or when it rains, you won't make 400W even in the middle of the day). That means:

8 hours per day * 365 days * 60% * 0.4kW base load * 16c/kWh = saving of €112 per year. Throw in another €20 or €30 of savings for the times your system does produce, but less than your base load and you are talking realistic savings without actively managing any applications, so a payback of closer to 30 years. Pump for solar thermal uses very little power.

You're not alone there :D

At least your other half will run the machines when the sun shines, which will make above figures a bit better!

So the plan at the moment is to put the panels and hybrid inverter in w/o grant due to roof restrictions etc. on the grant.

Then a couple of months later to add the battery using the grant.

Need to figure out costs of BER etc. but I think it will make sense.

Obviously the EV is on the cards maybe the year after next too.

Will look to install an Eddi myself hopefully or prepare for it.

And also do the "back up system" wiring. For lights and boiler pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

If you're going down the DIY ground mount route you'd probably be as well off go with a standard cheaper inverter.
    Use an AC battery storage system or a DC one that can work with your existing inverter.
    The hybrid ones are very expensive for now as they are the latest and greatest, regular string inverters can be had very cheaply by comparison.

Any reason for ground mounting? It's more expensive, takes up more space, more prone to damage.

air wrote: »
    If you're going down the DIY ground mount route you'd probably be as well off go with a standard cheaper inverter.
    Use an AC battery storage system or a DC one that can work with your existing inverter.
    The hybrid ones are very expensive for now as they are the latest and greatest, regular string inverters can be had very cheaply by comparison.

Going back to the roof mount. Bad time of year to be digging out ground and feel better having them up out of the way anyway.

I didn't know you could charge a battery off the standard inverters? Or is it the hybrid could charge a battery from night-saver as well as from PV?

• Advertisement

You can charge batteries using:

1. An AC coupled system like the Pylontech Unkel has linked
    2. Using a regular hybrid inverter
    3. Using a system like the Growatt that sits between your solar panels and your regular inverter
    4. If you're going hard core, by AC coupling your regular inverter to an off grid inverter
    5. By just connecting panels direct to batteries via a charge controller

So that's 5 ways to skin the cat, but the first 3 are probably the ones of relevance to you.

It's a bad time of year to be installing panels anywhere to be honest.

Couple of questions on estimes for the pieces I'm not getting included.

What is involved in "essential load" wiring? Is it running the wire back from the panels to specific circuits or what's the story?

The eddi. Just wondering if I picked one up what's involved in wiring that? Hardly have to run a new wire to the immersion? Just trying to get my head around controls and wiring diagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

A quick reminder of this website... H E R E

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#SA

Looks nice and the results are more than matching my output.

Pulled the trigger on this anyway.

Went the non grant route as I was worried I wouldn't get the grant based on roof regulations.

>= 3kw on two roofs with 5kwh hybrid inverter for €4300 installed. (Thinking I might reduce the inverter to 3.7)

Come April or May I would look to install the 2.4kwh battery for 1250 plus BER and then use the grant.

I've had some decent people onto me and the guy I'm going with has been recommended by 4 different people so happy with my choice.

Come April or May I would look to install the 2.4kwh battery for 1250 plus BER and then use the grant.

Did they give you a quote of 1250 (including VAT) for supply and fit of the battery? That seems cheap as the battery is 950+VAT (although that said it's an extremely simple job - plug and play)

• Advertisement

Did they give you a quote of 1250 (including VAT) for supply and fit of the battery? That seems cheap as the battery is 950+VAT (although that said it's an extremely simple job - plug and play)

Yup. It will be ready to plug and play as part of the initial install. I've to sort out the BER myself

Nice. Best of luck with the install and keep us updated! Your location states Cork - does your installer only operate in your area or do they cover nationwide (Dublin)? And they are SEAI approved?

Nice. Best of luck with the install and keep us updated! Your location states Cork - does your installer only operate in your area or do they cover nationwide (Dublin)? And they are SEAI approved?

Yup, have to lift a load of paving brick over the weekend and cut out some footpath and I should be good to go then.

Based in Cork.

Will check if he is nationwide, they are on the SEAI list all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Do you know the type of battery setup for that money?

Do you know the type of battery setup for that money?

2.4kwh, dont know the brand but I'd say it wouldn't be bargain basement.

Most seem to use the Pylontech batteries. See my link in post #421

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, happy days, the final part of my pv install is being done tomorrow :-)

Only thing is I am away tomorrow night till Monday so won't get to see much of it

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Has anybody experienced applying for the rebate grant yet?

Most seem to use the Pylontech batteries. See my link in post #421

Yup

Anyone has the ROI on a battery worked out, i.e. what price does a battery have to be to become worth it?

• Advertisement

Anyone has the ROI on a battery worked out, i.e. what price does a battery have to be to become worth it?

See my post a page or two up and adjust the figures for your situation. If your paying a total of 1250 + VAT for the install, plus a BER minus 1000 subsidy you are looking at a pay back of about 5 years conservatively

Will you PM me the installer BTW :)

See my post a page or two up and adjust the figures for your situation. If your paying a total of 1250 + VAT for the install, plus a BER minus 1000 subsidy you are looking at a pay back of about 5 years conservatively

Will you PM me the installer BTW :)

Figures are a bit different as it's more what % of time will you generate more than base load to store in a battery?

Have the trench dug for the inverter to run back to the house just wondering about Eddi installation afterwards.

Just wondering what wiring set up I'd need.

Do I need a control cable from inverter to fuse board? Or is it all done from fuse board or what's the story?

The load on the incomer needs to be measured by a CT in the hybrid inverter so that it can determine when to discharge.
    This CT can be wired and wireless, but wired is obviously cheaper and more reliable.
    The best place for the inverter is adjacent to your distribution unit assuming you have space available for it.

air wrote: »
    The load on the incomer needs to be measured by a CT in the hybrid inverter so that it can determine when to discharge.
    This CT can be wired and wireless, but wired is obviously cheaper and more reliable.
    The best place for the inverter is adjacent to your distribution unit assuming you have space available for it.

What kind of wire would I need for the CT? I see mentions of RJ45 but I thought it would be a five core cable of some kind?

The CT will come with it's own cable. It's only a small single pair cable, it creates a voltage signal proportional to the current flowing through the wire. Something the size of an audio cable in diameter, they often use 3.5mm audio jacks in fact.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it and let the installer look after it.

So up and running, well not right now or since 5pm :D

Very very neat job, impressed.

Also upgraded the power cable to the garage to a big ass one so I can put whatever I want out there going forward.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I need a separate device to measure consumption out at the meter board?

@ Gary

Great... any pictures !?

The CT cable,my understanding is that cannot be extended as is pre-calculated by length per voltage drop.

Measuring consumption...what do you mean ?
    I have 3 devices doing the maths:OWL,Energenie and the inverter own dashboard.

What kind of esb reading meter you have : digital or analog ?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I was thinking of investing in the PV solar power a while now, but the more I read hear the more confusing it gets. I have a large south facing dormer roof, could probably hold as many panels as is necessary. ESB bill roughly 130 pr month, 3 kids who love their devices and use plenty of hot water.
    Had two quotes for systems without the battery:
    Quote 1: 2.2kw system, 7 panels X 275 , with BER cert and diverter to heat water coming in at 3670 after grant and vat paid. Not sure whether this is around the going rate or not?
    Quote 2: 1.8kw, standard inverter and diverter, 6 panels for 5200 after the grant, which sounds like they are completely taking the piss.
    First quote was from company who would mainly do industrial installs and have done so for well renowned companies.
    What kind of quotes are people getting for similar systems?
    Is it worth going the battery option on this type of consumption?

• Advertisement

I'm sure here are installers and/or profesionals that works in various companies and they will give you more free info.
    Me,as a normal user,i will get a quote to fullfill the south faciing roof to maximum capacity.
    The bigger panel array,the more power generated ,bigger excess that can be diverted and faster RoI overall.

Not sure about your house consumption,keep an eye on the meter and/or the bill and see when is the maximum consumption and whats the daily house/occupiers routine.Took me at least 8 months to do the maths based on the Sun positions.

I can guess but i will say at least minimum 5KW installed power (thats 300W panels x 16,in an array of 8 each).
    That should give you a good return in the winter days (around 1Kwh worst days) and 4.5Kwh summer time (enough to power the house and divert to hot water cylinder).

Good luck.

LaterEdit

ANYONE care to share their ouput for the past couple of weeks !?
    Or are you afraid ...

469824.jpg

Advertisement