Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

daheff wrote: »
    Where do the batteries get physically located?
    Mine are in the attic, within a metre or so of the inverter .

I don't have an attic...has anybody in a similar situation got batteries? And how big are they in size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I will have to be really drunk or nuts to sign off an installation of PV batteries in the attic...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

rolion wrote: »
    I will have to be really drunk or nuts to sign off an installation of PV batteries in the attic...

Was thinking the same

jspuds wrote: »
    Was thinking the same

In Vino Veritas... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

rolion wrote: »

so where would you put yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I don't have an attic...has anybody in a similar situation got batteries? And how big are they in size?

My battery is in the corner of a converted attic under the inverter. Not where they can get too hot.
    The battery doesn't take up much space and doesnt make any noise.
    each battery is about 18inches by 18inces and 4 inches high stacked on top of each other.

so where would you put yours?

Somewhere where i can see them any time.
    Somewhere that it can be seen by any family member,just in case.
    Somewhere where it has air cooling / ventilation and i can fit a fire alarm sensor and another house alarm wired sensor.
    Somewhere,where i can walk in and out and just throw an eye on the status lights.
    Somewhere,from where,worst case scanario,take and throw them away.

Im saving for this system H E R E ,so i don't have to be ashamed by the look or smell of the pack,i can fit it beside entrance door,i have the plan layoud already,just making up the evacuation plan...

Until then, be good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Donegal

Talk to BryanF or Muffler on this forum. They are based up there.
    They be better placed to offer a price based on location as my work would be Dublin based.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

kceire wrote: »
    Talk to BryanF or Muffler on this forum. They are based up there.
    They be better placed to offer a price based on location as my work would be Dublin based.

I know Muffler, I'll drop him a message. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kerryman3

Think that was referring to my quote

11k for 4kwp (actually 4.5kwp) with 5kwh hybrid battery, hot water diverter and non essential load config, including ber.

12k for same system but 6kwp solar.

Prices are including vat but excluding grant, so take away 3,800 from either price to get the end cost to you.
    Hi wexfordman2, Could you pm me your installer too if not too much trouble? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Think that was referring to my quote

11k for 4kwp (actually 4.5kwp) with 5kwh hybrid battery, hot water diverter and non essential load config, including ber.

12k for same system but 6kwp solar.

Prices are including vat but excluding grant, so take away 3,800 from either price to get the end cost to you.
    Hi wexfordman2, Could you pm me your installer too if not too much trouble? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Kerryman3 wrote:

Me too please ;)

niallers1 wrote: »
    10k for 4.2kw with 4.8kwh battery.

Hi Niallers, could you pm me your installation company also please, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭randombar

Sooo finally got the dongle so can get some online graphs.
    Didn't go the grant route as I wouldn't have been able to put up the panels I wanted on the roof based on their limitations.

3.3 kW system
    Solis Hybrid Inverter 3.6kW
    11 JA Solar 300W Panels

Will install the battery when I get the money together for it. Will use the grant for that as I installed with that in mind (cable back to fuseboard for back up and hybrid inverter)

Ignore the mess, I've tidied up since I swear!

Southish Facing

South by Southwest Facing

So as per usual the sun hasn't shone since the day I installed.

Massive consumption of 2kwh today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Didn't go the grant route as I wouldn't have been able to put up the panels I wanted on the roof based on their limitations.

3.3 kW system
    11 JA Solar 300W Panels

Will install the battery when I get the money together for it. Will use the grant for that as I installed with that in mind (cable back to fuseboard for back up and hybrid inverter)

Southish Facing

Nice ine Gary, hope it goes well for you. My generation today was 3.5kwh with a 6kwp system .

What logger are you using ? I've noticed a lot of people are able to post up graphs and plots, but I can't figure out how to do itm. I am using the solarman app.

Nice ine Gary, hope it goes well for you. My generation today was 3.5kwh with a 6kwp system .

What logger are you using ? I've noticed a lot of people are able to post up graphs and plots, but I can't figure out how to do itm. I am using the solarman app.

Ginlong. as I have the solis inverter.

Have you registered on: http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Register/Regi_Pub.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got my brand new Solis 3.6kW inverter myself in the post yesterday. Ready to be installed by an electrician at the weekend :)

Still contemplating an AC side battery + storage inverter to avail of the €1k subsidy, but will have to be up and running in my new setup first before I make a further assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Anyone watch that programme tonight on rte about the deep retrofit grant?

Would it really take about 30,000 euro (30,000 euro from home owner and a 30,000 grant) to go from a E rating to A rating?

Ours is rated at D1 so would probably be in that price range!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

GaryCocs wrote: »

3.3 kW system
    11 JA Solar 300W Panels

Southish Facing

What did it cost you in the end?

You said getting all the panels would have effected you getting the grant. Can you clarify?

I'm relooking at mine. Forking out 8k is starting to get me to question the specs I was getting.
    What's the minimum of need? Need to be able to have essential load for a well.

Can someone give me ballpark cost of a 2kw battery. Quotes I'm getting aren't granular enough for me.

2.4kWh battery is EUR950 + VAT. Install less than an hour. Subsidy is EUR1000.

Beware you either need a hybrid inverter to hook the battery up on the DC side, or a dedicated battery inverter if you hook it up on the AC side

• Advertisement

Would it really take about 30,000 euro (30,000 euro from home owner and a 30,000 grant) to go from a E rating to A rating?

Yes. Complete gutting of existing house.
    Air tightness.
    Insulation
    New heat and hot water system.
    Plumbing and electrics afterwards.
    Windows, doors

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

our energy works is closer to 90k total...

Includes new windows though.

I wanted to go with a builder service provider as there is other work I want done, however there are certain items where he's taking the pi$$ (6k for PV for example)

Also the DCV they are planning is not Aereco but "Innovent" or something - told me on the phone.

Don't think the SEAI are capable of looking out for value either. He's said they will check for value when assessing the application - though I'm starting to think that means they will cap the grant and expect me to pick up the slack. He can go and jump if that's the case - I'll withdraw from scheme and fill up the old oil tank...

What did it cost you in the end?

You said getting all the panels would have effected you getting the grant. Can you clarify?

I'm relooking at mine. Forking out 8k is starting to get me to question the specs I was getting.
    What's the minimum of need? Need to be able to have essential load for a well.

Can someone give me ballpark cost of a 2kw battery. Quotes I'm getting aren't granular enough for me.

About 4200 in the end.

There's a limitation on the panels being 0.5m in from each roof side which as you can see from the photos isn't the case for me. I've heard that doesn't really matter but most costs were coming in around 8 with grant anyway so it saved me forking out money and waiting for the grant to come back anyways.

unkel wrote: »
    2.4kWh battery is EUR950 + VAT. Install less than an hour. Subsidy is EUR1000.

Beware you either need a hybrid inverter to hook the battery up on the DC side, or a dedicated battery inverter if you hook it up on the AC side

So,the battery is €1,230,installation €200 i guess. Back at soem point, €1,000.

How much is a hybrid inverter on its own plus the installation (removal and fitting),please .
    Can you "dump" the older inverter back on the market ?

5kW solis hybrid inverter is about 1200+VAT

I guess a callout charge incl one hours labour for about 80+VAT to replace your current inverter

Of course you can sell on your old inverter. I have 2 for sale myself on adverts.ie :)

If I'm going battery, I'll go the AC side myself. Maybe later this year.

18 Panels
    5.85kW System + Battery

€1,500 plus VAT = €13,053 - SEAI Grant of €,800 = €9,253

18 Panels
    5.85kW System + Battery

€1,500 plus VAT = €13,053 - SEAI Grant of €,800 = €9,253

Any eddi with it ?

My quote was comming in at 12k inc vat before grant for similar

Any eddi with it ?

My quote was comming in at 12k inc vat before grant for similar

No mention of Eddi in their FB post. But tbh, I’d rather a battery than eddi. Eddi saves pennies, the battery has the potential to save a decent chunk.

For example, today my system generated 6.44kwh.
    2.96kwh went to the immersion by way of Eddi divertor.
    The balance powered the base load but I guarantee you most of the balance went back to the grid for free.

If I had a battery, say a 5kwh one, I could have filled that and my
    House would have been powered until tomorrow morning off grid. I could have heated the water for a small amount using the immersion or gas boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Wexfordman2, could you pm me your installer please? Still seems to be the best deal around.

• Advertisement

No mention of Eddi in their FB post. But tbh, I’d rather a battery than eddi. Eddi saves pennies, the battery has the potential to save a decent chunk.

For example, today my system generated 6.44kwh.
    2.96kwh went to the immersion by way of Eddi divertor.
    The balance powered the base load but I guarantee you most of the balance went back to the grid for free.

If I had a battery, say a 5kwh one, I could have filled that and my
    House would have been powered until tomorrow morning off grid. I could have heated the water for a small amount using the immersion or gas boiler.

Yep,

Mine is with battery (6kwh) plus eddi. The eddi isn't installed yet , but today's generation was 12kwh, the battery was charged last night at night rate and then kept topped up during the day as excess pv power was generated.

With 6kwh battery, it only.dischsrges to 10%, so a available.battery power is 5.4Kwh.

With that 5.4kwh, I generally find it depleted by about 8pm so far, mainly.due to early sunset times, and electric cooker comming on for supper which is high load.

Advertisement