Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They do not lend themselves to easy manufacturing, while sheets of led/LCD/oled can be made and stored with ease, a CRT is a big glass vacuum tube, heavy and hard to store, expensive to transport compared to flat panels.
    A dead tech to be sure, along with plasma displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Is that usual to a have 15k monitor in a naomi?

If you are looking for a 31k monitor let me know as I've ended up with a load of naomi spares including a spare tube and chassis etc.

Thanks 80's, I think the only think im missing at the moment is Audi Amp went in one of my Naomis, but they Phono leads and my Sony BT Speakers its a nice substitute.

I have 4 Naomis at the present and 2 have 15k Screens and 2 are 31k.
    Just finishing my NNC (Naomi Chopped), its got FranncoB Jamma \ Naomi Loan and it will have Mame too as its a lovely bright 15k screen.

usS02nnuFa3m-EPSbYAMRX4GJjOC819GDaOPWqytEJkPAKnjM-YTZtNGZyxns7jQbS3m_qx9humQAwkoOtquQb_fXtFeIjk9Q9qWuYG5cv-hUMo7f6zzzIOM79F9P5hALFCYhpGJ7vxNSCwZMN3U-fR21jq6nK6fKIkKPwxw3X_2N-nNTB47axbrgJj4ZrrDbmcxUgOu1BkFolLXzOGR7PIrZzpTUxayvR25qc-J6yoh3jyVYy1Yn6HQxbDZdVput7oQWZbRID9U50A1Uffmj3eY31DSrdNleNw04yxhxqsvfiOGuqxokWZ4ClC4FT1w7qyWbNo4CTObTb7dbQ-Sqa7uM-pFilAj-FdCYZ04_-RCFLpCwXXhlq8QXfDSE36k6i-YUF6XVzRADQ3fJyTSef1oplsfogr_QqfNBROnaujO-XjrQF5WU13oA4Q-wdMtBO1gZDQE1gBKMnxzcHXTrheVvMCNiH5DZkxMvB5bzxe27CnR7O0rpYRKVoiNvebYgY0iUkSjRJersYKVW35mbsKp74-XTRoykFvHH-tqFDuQIRPFLJHOFURhcQU657OVsQB_n-REFCIxoOT9nnRlui1MkEZ8fgeeKIqVIP8BKeJ7V_zFBoYVzliSenJKHYFfC0JtowtGKXiEVMt4Nic1MzB4=w774-h532-noJxsLkGyeum_MKbyb1_Kh2z_kvUNfr6MOggHG6j6MKTIdoL4l5LOaAGJzIDwgnMFBotne1vjcFmBjQzmP4PZUs0wgrlloSPDAaMLun0WdTdeZdZNplS65wzRJjHnkDUoMfM6AT6_eaAsUwQ2Nat5m5EqOwUsNOW3OOrJaLLdNrimPS26r-boXbN0-64hxLbfs_1AMditqahr_QWPObGyjtKgrtaPhwBnDKZ1zx0-WtDeKbNYqK8tAkp7qwq6xRh4H5UobXab2yr1x2Qrfys9HvExpPjnMAFeu8Gaq02tTJMf9Fh4rYlX86VbtiuQ2-RgKvzrpZ_YIIfsgGeeKznAuTGCe4lIPCCxawgLcNpha1B4NcSBncTcjOrdqNmsKp5Gr0rTC5IoxdM76lldtw0X1Fp1Of3eOiYO5oIvcigYQUMcihC370bLRUOV3PH_NqA6xtgANico0_wm-k_m0zPZy0HitmvhwLXQX7TCoRRJGKfeCMEV9xgu0xNptc5aosT6P0MfAtFYsx1ZIMfca7Wor3_ogkrqS3ElW8ijaicFzWfyDGLKZJ7SyXrF5O9x36x3qasmbIGboCqePfb7syCvrSOCKfxedCBquTB2ls1eUxixAmxcx7W1gkKlfgv4GAkcv-mu4wefZ9LB8O0TT5Ro1BILh=w639-h851-no

beejee wrote: »
    As for the candy cabinets/naomi, I think ive given up the ghost. The 31kz only thing on naomi is an annoyance I don't want to deal with! I know there are converters and such, but blah! Plus they are deceptively big and heavy!

You mentioned something about confidential mission, do you have any other lightgun games? Somebody had a pointblank for sale here recently, but having seen one in person just the other week.....theyre a lot bigger than I remember! Probably the same goes for the upright house of the dead games too, my memory has somehow shrunk them in size :P

I have one that will be going with a 15K screen if that helps, and just needs a Jamma Look and PSU from Arcade controls uk. It be a cool one to respray and chop into Jamma Cab :)

Ive just the Con Mission cab, but you can Netdimm other games into it like Lupin Maze of Kings. I also have a Chihiro and gonna try send Virtua Cop 3, House of the dead 3 and Ghost Squad.

I also have playas EMS Gun III and its pretty cool with MAME games like Police Trainer etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Might as well leave this here :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

eddhorse wrote: »
    Might as well leave this here..

Some key components - Electron gun, lead to stop radiation escaping through the front of the screen, phosphor that reacts to the electrons to produce images, everything kept in a vacuum to stop electrons from scattering

Surely there is modern alternative techniques that would produce the same results without the drawbacks. Some kind of laser technology that negates the need for lead and also does not need to be kept in a vacuum would be key.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Some key components - Electron gun, lead to stop radiation escaping through the front of the screen, phosphor that reacts to the electrons to produce images, everything kept in a vacuum to stop electrons from scattering

Surely there is modern alternative techniques that would produce the same results without the drawbacks. Some kind of laser technology that negates the need for lead and also does not need to be kept in a vacuum would be key.

tenor.gif?itemid=10358303

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well vinyls are back. VHS and tapes are on the way back too. Brand new CRTs in 2025??

Well vinyls are back. VHS and tapes are on the way back too. Brand new CRTs in 2025??

To heck with CRT, I'd say we'll all be playing Rise of the Robots on a Logie Baird mechanical TV!

hist0314h-Business-Life-John-Logie-Baird-fce772c1-f776-4da2-949b-f8869ffbfc5f-0-605x412.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

As long as we are playing rise of the robots that's all that matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

kevin2me wrote: »
    I have one that will be going with a 15K screen if that helps, and just needs a Jamma Look and PSU from Arcade controls uk. It be a cool one to respray and chop into Jamma Cab :)

Ive just the Con Mission cab, but you can Netdimm other games into it like Lupin Maze of Kings. I also have a Chihiro and gonna try send Virtua Cop 3, House of the dead 3 and Ghost Squad.

I also have playas EMS Gun III and its pretty cool with MAME games like Police Trainer etc..

I'll bear it in mind, but already having a headache moving other things right now. Need to separate and divide! Maybe after Christmas, I don't know.

But that picture of confidential mission grabbed my attention straight away! It being both a playable 6 button cabinet and lightgun at the same time, that's really cool :)

I was confusing myself before trying to work out how to get several games going on a gun cabinet, but the games im after are the previous "generation" to confidential mission and HotD 3. I'd love to get virtua cop 1 and 2, and hotD 1 and 2 running on a single cabinet. Seems like a nightmare, but I could be wrong.

Speaking of those games, have the likes of virtua cop/house of the dead just completely disappeared altogether? I haven't seen anyone mention them, and certainly haven't seen any in years upon years anywhere. Even the various OPs that I know just draw a (point) blank when I mention them :P

Of all the things that are on the verge of complete disappearance, surely its the lightgun games that require crt!

• Advertisement

beejee wrote: »
    I'll bear it in mind, but already having a headache moving other things right now. Need to separate and divide! Maybe after Christmas, I don't know.

But that picture of confidential mission grabbed my attention straight away! It being both a playable 6 button cabinet and lightgun at the same time, that's really cool :)

I was confusing myself before trying to work out how to get several games going on a gun cabinet, but the games im after are the previous "generation" to confidential mission and HotD 3. I'd love to get virtua cop 1 and 2, and hotD 1 and 2 running on a single cabinet. Seems like a nightmare, but I could be wrong.

Just use a PC at the heart of the cabinet, it should run them all with ease.

Of all the things that are on the verge of complete disappearance, surely its the lightgun games that require crt!

One of these,

https://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html

Will allow you to play gun games on any display.
    The drivers included should integrate with the emulation software and give you the possibility of a multigame cabinet with an arcade style gun controller.
    You can use two of them, it seems, as well, if not more.

I don't know if any regulars have given these a shot (ho ho...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

So here's the last video I did on that cocktail table restoration. The front glass restoration was really he big unknown for me as I'd never done any glass resurfacing before but I think it turned out ok. I've since got a hand on an actual frogger pcb and got repro and resized sega frogger artwork for the taito size instruction cards .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So I've had a bartop arcade for over a year and half it has retro pie with 8000 or whatever the advertised amount of games on it ,

I'm thinking of moving it on , what price ball park should I be looking at , I bought it from arcade mania in the UK and its custom made with a Star wars wrap on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anto002

I think it's great to share these games to the public again.
    In this particular location, theirs alot of different ages groups and the older people just love the old classics and I think the younger kids gravitate towards puzzle bobble and wonderboy etc..
    It's great to save a cabinet from the brink of destruction and bring it back to life and put it back where it belongs to be enjoyed by all hopefully for many more years to come.
    A wonderful cabinet made in Ireland by ASI.

ah, so you sold that cab you got for almost nothing because we were happy to let it got to someone we thought was an honest collector, to someone who doesn't know any better and spent way too much on a mame cab . well done

that or it's a picture of your own kids playing the cab ... outrun with a joystick
    anto002 wrote: »
    I think it's great to share these games to the public again
    WE shared it, YOU took advantage

moving along swiftly.

Just repaired this Bomb Jack.
    Had to make a connector for it since it's not jamma. It booted with graphic issues, wrong colors. A new LS174 got the colors back. The audio was entirely out . traced it back to a faulty z80 controling the three AY 3-8910 sound chips.
    There was a couple of broken traces and the inputs were dodgy which was a case of a couple of faulty LS286 on the input controller bus and a mixup in the jamma adapter (ie: my fault) :)

48365679_10156917886888276_5242584635099054080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=81a7a4ec622ddfa9e4bbfcf08dfef1c0&oe=5CAB2F7F

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Fecking chassis on my Naomi looks to have died :(

Fix one thing, two others blow up...

ouch. did it refuse to start or did it die after some use ? any smoke ?

BGOllie wrote: »
    ouch. did it refuse to start or did it die after some use ? any smoke ?

No drama, just powered up the cab (to show it off) and nothing, nada, no smoke or sparks. Didn't have time to investigate much yet.

Was due a capkit which I've ordered but now may need a few more bits as well :confused:

Fecking chassis on my Naomi looks to have died :(

Fix one thing, two others blow up...

The Cab is cursed!! paid 850 for it and it blew 2 times. I thought it was lose wire. I got 5 minutes of screen time with that cab over 2 years and it
    got 2 new chassis. gggrrr

at his is why I want a vexlix as it wont blow up!

• Advertisement

First off I didn't sell it.
    I put it in location myself and it's not MAME! !!
    I just cannot get over the fact that you guys are so pissed off.
    I understand about the naomi universal cabinet and the fact that I placed an add and wanted €750 for it but I sold it to a guy on this forum for the same as I paid for it..so I made up for that one.
    I only had one of the two red cabinets and it's not a dedicated cabinet to any particular game !!! It's a jamma cabinet and it has a jamma pcb in it.
    I understand that their is a certain gentleman on this forum who put a crt with a VGA input into an old taito cabinet when the original monitor
    there!! And he also used a 60 in 1 for 1 particular game.
    That doesn't sound original to me. The cabinet I bought and spent hours working on, which now has the original CRT back in the machine and fully working with new caps and transformer ( flyback ) etc.... is to be enjoyed by people who love the classic and retro games! !
    And not in some back room with someone smiling at their "" museum piece "" feeling full of pride thinking to themselves "" I really did a great job here, I deserve a pat on the back ""

I think it's time to cut the pretentious bull**** and I know for a fact! !! That their are guys on here who buy cheap and flip games as often as they can.

In conclusion I DID NOT!!! make any money on the two cabinets I bought!!
    My friend has the other red machine at home and all original parts and crt , so I don't know why you're giving him a hard time, it was my fault you all went off in a hissy fit not his..

The Naomi is being fully restored.
    I had to put new control panel artwork on my red cabinet because the plastic was broken.

Instead of gloating over your prize museum pieces and waiting for the investment to pay off take a long hard look....

My machine is being enjoyed in a good location by young and old.

Merry Christmas

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hmm I’m not sure if you are talking about me there with the crt in a taito space invaders cocktail I had?

If so I tried to replace that monitor and fix it. I bought parts from the US for it and about four monitors off Mitch to try go in it, but the neck on them all was too long. Cocktail monitors are tiny I cant remeber size exactly but the are smaller than 14” screens and hard to come across a working one. I mainly lurk here these days and only comment the odd time , and maybe once I commented on your whole adventure. But If you are talking about me, and I apologize if you aren’t, but it sounds like you might be , then I don’t see what putting a crt into a a taito to replace a screen burned broken one after I tried to fix and replace it for months has to do with you buying a few cabs for dirt cheap then trying to sell them on for for hundreds above what you paid.

I’ve bought and sold pins, cabs and parts with the lads here over the years and have given away cabs and parts for free at times. So don’t drag me into your situation and compare your greed to what I did with my taito cocktail thanks very much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I don't think hes talking about you. 👍

On a side note. I found another Irish made cab not long afterwards. It was in a bad state. But thought it was worth salvaging.

Might be of interest to some to see a few pics. Almost finished with the restore. Think it will match well with the Irish red cab.

L1m1tless wrote: »
    I don't think hes talking about you. ðŸ‘
    I put a crt in a taito cocktail and a 60in1 restricted to space invaders so you can see why I thought that. If not me, I apologize for my rant , but I stand by the point we are a small enough community in that most of us have met and helped each other out of the years. I can see why people where annoyed with the up pricing of that cab. Anyways I don’t want to drag all that up again so I’ll step onto the quantum leap accelerator and vanish back into lurker mode. .

Think he's talking about me. He left a comment on one of my vid recently mentioning once again his years of experience and promptly removed it when he realised it was me ( YT sends you the comment in an email so I got it like that) .
    The monitor I put in is defo not a vga monitor (although I did consider this option). I used a 60 in 1 set to just frogger while I restored an original pcb so I could get the cab out of the shed and into the house. Regardless, since that video my taito cab is now running an rgb crt with a dedicated pcb though :)

I think you're confused as to what MAME is too : all multi board are essentially running an older version of Mame or similar emulation device whether it's a 60 i 1 or a pandora : it's running MAME as a backbone. There's nothing wrong with mame though, most of us use it in some fashion too, I'm not sure where you're getting this angle from. I'd rather see a mame machine being used than a dedicated cab rotting away.

Similarly I'm not sure where you're getting the "pretentious " thing from either, we all play our machines weekly if not daily and they're certainly not investments (that would be a very poor investment choice) . Local kids and adults often pop in to play.

I explained in a previous post why we're annoyed, you should read it again, but in case you're still confused about it, it's because you tried sell machines you got for very cheap (machines a lot of us decided to let got because we thought they were going to honest collectors) for a huge profit the next day. It exemplifies the very thing collectors hate most. The fact that you got caught and decided not to sell them is irrelevant really.

L1m1tless wrote: »

On a side note. I found another Irish made cab not long afterwards. It was in a bad state. But thought it was worth salvaging.

Might be of interest to some to see a few pics. Almost finished with the restore. Think it will match well with the Irish red cab.

Oh this might be of interest too , my street fighter cab was made by Atari Ireland. Originally when I bought it , it had a world warrior marque and side art. I re branded it SF2 CE. Label on the back ..

atari.jpeg

Apologies if this image is huge , I’m posting from my phone and can’t resize.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Cool, thanks for sharing that. I saw the cab in older pics you posted.

This Coin World Ire Ltd. Cab has almost identical phone numbers as the red ASI cabs. They are also very similar in design.

Safe to say they were the same company.

Hi I assure you it wasn't you I was talking about.
    I Love the hobby myself and I have had the great fortune of working for an arcade company for many years.
    I made one stupid mistake of advertising and naomi cabinet for a mad price that I regret, but I made sure it went to a gentleman on this forum who is going to fully restore it to its former glory.

As for my red cabinet, it is now working 100% with its crt monitor and is being fully enjoyed as it should be.

kevin2me wrote: »
    The Cab is cursed!! paid 850 for it and it blew 2 times. I thought it was lose wire. I got 5 minutes of screen time with that cab over 2 years and it
    got 2 new chassis. gggrrr

at his is why I want a vexlix as it wont blow up!

Not cursed, just a pain in the h0le :) Ah, I'm sure I'll get it sorted soon enough, good opportunity to install a 15KHz CRT I think

• Advertisement

Got caught??
    I took it down because I realised myself it was a bad idea.
    After I took the ad down I posted on this forum for for anyone who wanted the naomi cabinet that they could take it away for FREE.
    It was picked up and the gentleman kindly gave me exactly what I paid for it , keeping in mind I paid the extra €50 for the motherboard and cartridge.

My friend who helped me pick them up with his van had one of the red cabinets.
    He filled the van with the fuel and I paid for the 3 cabinets.
    And I don't know why he's getting a hard time from you guys because he had nothing to do with this whatsoever, it was all my doing.

As for my red cabinet, I did use a pandoras box 5 in the machine the simple reason was to provide the people who play it with loads of games to choose from instead of just one game.
    And I do realise that a pandoras box pcb is running mame but that's besides the point.

I have not profited from this whatsoever.
    It's 25 cent per game , and that covers the €125 for the permit and the extra €100 for the license fee.

When people arrive at the location with their kids they have lots of other activities to choose from and it's entirely up to them if they want to play the machine or not.
    It certainly isn't a gold mine , I just want to give the older generation a chance to play these games they remember from their youth and introduce the younger generation to these classic games.
    And if original dedicated arcade machines were so readily available I would have original machines in this location.

As you siad yourself, you have local kids coming over and playing your machines so I don't see much of a difference in what you're doing and what I'm doing.

My machine has its original CRT, it's running a pandoras box but it's still jamma.
    I would have it on free play but as I said I'm paying to keep it on the premises and I couldn't afford to pay for the permit and licence myself.

I also donated an original space invaders cocktail machine to a kids dentist waiting room last year and it's on free play.
    I paid my petrol and drove it two and a half hours and I didn't get 1 cent.

So maybe I don't fit into you guys little community of collectors and I know only to well that these machines are getting harder and harder to find but I'm not the only one who snaps them up.

I did not profit from any of this and I thought it would make you guys happy how this turned out.
    The Naomi is being fully restored!
    The 1st red cabinet is being restored by my friend for his home arcade.
    And my red cabinet is being enjoyed again just the way it was back in the day.
    So I don't see any problem with how this turned out.

Advertisement