Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

blue note wrote: »
    That's very interesting. I was looking at their case numbers. They were being held up as an example of how not to handle the pandemic. This was around when the resorts would have been starting to open up. And their daily cases have decreased fairly steadily since roughly when the resorts would have been opening.

It's so hard to get your head around all of this.

In fairness, they've shut down everything except for shops, pharmacies and ski resorts, so you'd have to hope that would get the numbers down.

Despite its reputation, skiing probably isn't a huge risk. Its mostly outdoors and there is very little evidence to support outdoor transmission of this virus. A lot of the difficulties associated with skiing are the stuff around it - apres ski, hotels, indoor restaurants, flying to and from the country, getting to the resort. The Gondolas would obviously be an issue but provided you aren't packed in like a sardine its probably no worse than public transport which is running the world over.

I assume if skiing were operating as normal there would have been big problems but everyone live to the risks by now.

Incidentally there have still been cases reported in relation to skiing. A British tourist managed to get a ski race in I think Wengen postponed by not isolating on arrival and spreading the virus to a bunch of other people, I think in his hotel. And there was something else in I think St Anton involving gap year students doing a ski course, which must have been exempted on the basis of education.

I have the sense that Austria and Switzerland view themselves as mountain nations. This is part of their heritage. And they also value the mental health benefits of getting outside so they've made that call. Initially I thought it was to make money but Austria aren't accepting tourists or even people from other areas I think. The Swiss are but have put in place restrictions if you come from a country with a rate of 50 more persons per 100,000 than Switzerland itself has. I suspect Switzerland has a very strong culture of staying open for foreign travel.

These are rational approaches to the issue, rather than fear based ones. Here we have a 5k rule which really has no rational basis apart from discouraging people from leaving their house at all, and we have waited until we have the highest rate in the world to impose restrictions on people coming in to us. This is so frustrating as it means the people coming in are now less likely to have the virus than the people walking down the street already. The time to do this was last February, or any point after that.

Also our focus on foreign travel as a taboo is a bit naive. If you're going somewhere where the rate is the same or lower than here its no more risky than the act of getting there and whatever you do once there. Presuming that foreign travel is irresponsible and dangerous is a little unnuanced.

Anyway, my two cents. When I'm in charge in the next pandemic, I'll ensure no problems. Skiers will also be top of the vaccination list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

a148pro wrote: »
    I have the sense that Austria and Switzerland view themselves as mountain nations. This is part of their heritage.

This is very much the case.

In the case of Austria I believe the fact that larger countries were trying to dictate terms to them was also a key factor in the decision to open up. Austrians really do not like being told what to do by larger neighbours.

Once bitten ...

Lol, much like us I'm sure they're happy to take the Deutschmark when it comes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

skallywag wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely.

Same in Switzerland. Les montagnes are a part of the culture here. Deeply prized.

Varadkar -

"disproportionate that someone who runs one kilometer more from their house is fined the same as someone who goes on a ski holiday"

Fighting talk from someone who has just presided over the worst decline in Covid numbers in the world.

Leo, your decision to leave borders open in late February, and thereafter in June after we had made enormous sacrifices to get numbers right down, has led directly to the deaths of 3000 people and counting. All for fear of being an "outlier". Being an outlier clearly worse than killing 3000 people, destroying our society, setting an entire generation back perhaps irretrievably and leading to the effective closure of all our society for most of each year.

But nothing like a bit of populism to trump the facts.

Here's a better idea. How about you don't actually criminalise a jogger who strays 6km from their home at all, unless they are doing something inherently likely to lead to the spread of the virus. Belmullet did not become number one due to joggers, or hill walkers, or cyclists, or, for that matter, skiers. It was people gathering inside having returned from abroad. That is the actual problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We have political forums and this isn't one of them so let's keep it on topic.

Removed the personal abuse. Just the cynicism of it all getting to me.

In fairness, when the number two in the country has a flippant go at skiers, and this is a thread about going skiing this year I think it is on topic!

Anyway, got my hands on some skis so all I need is a bit of weather now to execute at least some turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Calm down, you're getting offended over nothing

From what I can see he's referring to people who are planning on going on holidays in the next month or two (which no one should be doing) and he's just used skiers as an example of that.

I certainly didn't take what he said as a personal attack on every skier in the country

No, I think its more insidious than that. He's playing on a trope that has emerged since the Ischgl thing, one which doesn't really stand up to scrutiny, and one which detracts totally from a meaningful analysis of the actual situation we're in. And he's using this to deflect attention away from the real issue.

Which is the easier, and more politically advantageous thing for him to do? Point the finger of responsibility at individual skiers or have a think about what actually went wrong over Christmas, if not before?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No, I think its more insidious than that. He's playing on a trope that has emerged since the Ischgl thing, one which doesn't really stand up to scrutiny, and one which detracts totally from a meaningful analysis of the actual situation we're in. And he's using this to deflect attention away from the real issue.

Which is the easier, and more politically advantageous thing for him to do? Point the finger of responsibility at individual skiers or have a think about what actually went wrong over Christmas, if not before?

No one is pointing any finger of responsibility at skiers.
    The point being made is that going abroad (for example, on a skiing holiday) is a worse transgression than straying over the 5k limit.

It's ski season, if people are going on holidays now, it's likely to be skiing. If it was summer, I have no doubt he wouldn't have mentioned skiing.

You are just looking for offence, really, I think.

• Advertisement

No one is pointing any finger of responsibility at skiers.
    The point being made is that going abroad (for example, on a skiing holiday) is a worse transgression than straying over the 5k limit.

It's ski season, if people are going on holidays now, it's likely to be skiing. If it was summer, I have no doubt he wouldn't have mentioned skiing.

You are just looking for offence, really, I think.

Right. First of all, there are next to no ski resorts open to Irish tourists. No lifts are turning in France or Italy, in Austria its locals only and from reports that is being enforced. Switzerland is allowing tourism but only from countries with an incidence rate within 50 of theirs (which Ireland hasn't been for the last while, but may be approaching now). I don't think you can get into North America. Scandinavia has ski resorts open but given their history of competent government I seriously doubt they are allowing Irish residents in right now. There are probably a handful of other countries that you could in theory go to but they represent a tiny proportion of the skiing market and many would also have obstructions on Irish visitors coming in.

So I highly doubt any reasonable proportion are skiers. On prime time the other night the main flight appeared to be the Canaries which one of the travellers stated was full of Irish.

I'm not looking for offence here. I'm looking for accountability. There has been no acknowledgment of the fcuk up by government in ignoring public health advice in the run up to Christmas WHICH LED DIRECTLY to the catastrophic situation we are in now. The mistake is actually shocking, probably the most deadly mistake in the history of this State? But instead of in any way acknowledging this the likes of Leo go on a moralising crusade against people going for walks in the mountains or people travelling who, given that he refused to go for zero covid, represent a tiny proportion of the population.

But its easier to do that. At a time when we are all living ascetic lives the idea of someone indulging in the opulence of a ski trip is a very attractive target. But that is not what has lead to this situation or in any reasonable way contributed to where we are at right now.

And I'm sorry it does denigrate us as a grouping. We're already perceived as indulgent (which may be true, though for many it's a passion), ischgl has done serious damage and there will be people who continue to view skiers as a problem and this kind of lick from him adds to that.

It's just unnecessary, and not an accurate depiction of the situation at all. Whose more to blame for this, govt or us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Government is more at fault obviously

No one's blaming the skiers who picked up covid in Ischgl and may have brought it back to their home countries. Any ire I've seen or heard has been directed at the authorities in Ischgl for not taking quicker action when they knew covid was in the resort, not at any groups skiers who caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Deep breaths.
    Deep breaths.
    Deep slow breaths.

I ski.
    I am not offended.
    My opinion is also valid.

If no one is is going skiing, then there is no one to be offended.

Also, would you call people who go on beach holidays a "grouping" or are they just people who go on beach holidays. I am not a "skier", I am a person who likes to go on ski holidays. I don't belong in your "group".

Right now all holidays are discouraged.

Deep breaths.
    Deep breaths.
    Deep slow breaths.

You idiot! Breathing is how this spreads! Not skiing!

And for the record, I AM a skier!

You idiot! Breathing is how this spreads! Not skiing!

im assuming this is meant as a joke...

Skiing and other winter holidays was a major factor in the early mass spread in Europe, I don't think that can be disputed. For the most part this wasn't the skiers fault and no government acted anywhere close to early enough.

Varadkar made an off the cuff comparison using the stereotypical winter holiday I wouldn't read into it any more than that.

Skiing for us for 20/21 season isn't going to happen (maybe more to the point should not happen), 21/22 remains to be seen.

If you want to debate the ins and outs of what the Gov have done since take it to Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Seems some Irish lads made it over to St. Anton ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0130/1194026-austria-ski-resorts/

A 2000 Euro fine would be a nasty surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

skallywag wrote: »
    Seems some Irish lads made it over to St. Anton ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0130/1194026-austria-ski-resorts/

A 2000 Euro fine would be a nasty surprise.

Disgusting behaviour, dirty rats will be back here now.

Self rightoues bags of poop ( my polite version).

Hope the gardai fine em again on the way back.

If only we could name and shame.

Rew wrote: »
    Skiing and other winter holidays was a major factor in the early mass spread in Europe, I don't think that can be disputed. For the most part this wasn't the skiers fault and no government acted anywhere close to early enough.

Varadkar made an off the cuff comparison using the stereotypical winter holiday I wouldn't read into it any more than that.

Skiing for us for 20/21 season isn't going to happen (maybe more to the point should not happen), 21/22 remains to be seen.

If you want to debate the ins and outs of what the Gov have done since take it to Politics.

Plenty went skiing when we all knew what was coming.

I dropped my holiday, maybe others a bit simple or mentally challenged and just couldn't understand the risks.

In that case maybe it wasn't their fault.

• Advertisement

Plenty went skiing when we all knew what was coming.

I dropped my holiday, maybe others a bit simple or mentally challenged and just couldn't understand the risks.

In that case maybe it wasn't their fault.

I think people were naive to what was coming down the road but in hindsight it was obvious. Even though I wrote the pandemic policy for the company in 2017 or 2018 I didn't thin k to run out and buy shares in Zoom in Jan or Feb :(

Sky news talking about it circulation much earlier then people thought and Epidemiologist in the UK mentioning skiing and other winter holidays as one reason (he's not having a go at anyone). Fits with our experience of 6 people in the house being sick after 5 of us were in Austria at the start of Feb. Link skips to the Epidemiologist bit:

https://youtu.be/x5EZPXBuh7g?t=93

You should get the antigen tests for the house if ye can

There were people on snowheads reporting (after the fact) very similar symptoms from ski holidays too

There was a confirmed case in France from mid-December from someone who had not travelled:-

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52526554

There was also, and worryingly, a confirmed case in a child in Italy in November

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/study-finds-covid-19-presence-in-italy-in-november-2019/2073897

This of course plays into Chinese propaganda that the virus came to them

In fairness, their public health systems would notice stuff a lot quicker than in Europe, Asia has been more attuned to such stuff due to successive flu like viruses originating there. You would have to think that the first large scale outbreaks being identified there (and the absence of any large scale outbreaks in Europe prior to that) indicate that China is the source. Plus the likely fact it jumped from another species and they have a much more concentrated culture of keeping exotic animals for food.

It is fascinating though.

I've stopped reading the news for a week to give the head a bit of space. Plus, its pointless as you get nowhere and the constant stream of leaks is really annoying.

Rew wrote: »
    I think people were naive to what was coming down the road but in hindsight it was obvious. Even though I wrote the pandemic policy for the company in 2017 or 2018 I didn't thin k to run out and buy shares in Zoom in Jan or Feb :(

You are right in fairness - but then many went after italy was being destroyed.

I cancelled my trip - lets be honest when the WHO came on the telly we should have known this was different - even when they came on to downplay it.

Lots of lessons to be learned

I looked back earlier in the lockdown an on I think the 26th Feb I posted on snowheads suggesting that people should not be going to Northern Italy skiing and that it was irresponsible. This was in the context of me spending much of the two months prior to that eyeing it up as a destination for a short break once conditions and my work aligned. I was flamed by 90% plus of the people in the thread who said this was a total overreaction, it was only the locked down areas you couldn't visit.

In hindsight, there were about 6 flights a day from Dublin to Northern Italy and I can't believe we allowed that to continue. I mean our absolute trump card was the fact we were an island and we never played it, still haven't. Yes people would have been taken aback and shocked and we would have taken flak for closing borders but within 4 weeks, when the army trucks were ferrying the dead through the streets of Northern Italy, we would have been the envy of Europe.

I'm just surprised that no-one who's job it is to do that, did that. We knew what had happened in China, and once it was in Northern Italy the risk was surely too high.

I can forgive that mistake, because it was uncharted territory, but by the time we were in June, having gotten down to <10 cases, we knew the reality and should never have let the genie back out of the bottle. I can't forgive that mistake.

I mean it seems to me that our policy was actually to allow the virus get here, spread in the community and then lock down. Do you remember those weeks prior to the full lockdown, when pubs were still open but some shut voluntarily, or we weren't going to them. The debate about Paddy's day being on or not. And then waiting until the Taoiseach was in Washington to announce the lockdown. That seems bananas now. Get ahead of the virus should always have been the policy.

I would hope that when this is done with we will at least have learned that lesson and future policy will be to close the island if there is something else looming, put in place infrastructure for essential travellers etc.. Hopefully agree that with the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I remember the time around the 26th of February very well. I started this thread on 24th because I was due to fly out to Italy the next day! It all started to kick off in Italy on Saturday 22nd February. The most anywhere in Europe had at that stage was less than 20 cases, and by the Monday they had something like 227. But they were all confined to about 13 towns in Northern Italy (not ski resorts). Milan had about 2 confirmed cases at that stage. The province I was going to had none and the province beside it had 1. I can understand people looking at the numbers and thinking it was being blown completely out of proportion.

I'd love to say that I was a martyr and didn't go for the greater good, but it was largely selfish. I had started a new job a month before and if I had gone I'd have gone in the knowledge that I'd have had to self quarantine for a fortnight when I got home. I thought it would look too bad so booked Andorra instead.

I think the people that went out to Austria a couple of weeks later were being selfish. At that stage it was clear to see that it was rampant in ski resorts. I can understand someone wanting to go and convincing themselves that there's no problem in going, but it really was a case of convincing yourself of what you want to believe. I'd say very few would have had the same opinion if they didn't have a holiday booked.

It was incredible how quickly the situation developed though. It went from not being a consideration for me on the Friday, to not sure whether I should go on the Monday.

I'll also admit that a part of me wishes I had gone. The snow was meant to have been incredible there, I'd researched the resort (Cervinia) a good bit at that stage so was properly excited about it all, we had fancy restaurants booked and a lovely ski in/out apartment booked. And I don't think we'd have thought about the virus while we were out there at all. Oddly, the money is not the reason I'd like to have gone. Although having an extra grand and a half in my back pocket now would be nice!

blue note wrote: »

I'll also admit that a part of me wishes I had gone. The snow was meant to have been incredible there

Love this bit the most!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I missed out on a four day trip to Zell Am Zee in early March as I had been sick for about six weeks leading up to this and wasn’t well enough to travel. I may have had Covid but probably not.
    My friends all went and got back just in time really.
    Had I have been feeling up to it it would have gone too.
    Right now I’d kill for a good few days on the snow as it’s my favourite think to do and every time I come home I’m thinking of my next trip. It’s as good for the head as anything else.
    I’ll be skiing in December this year even if I have to drive over I’m going.

maddness wrote: »
    I’ll be skiing in December this year even if I have to drive over I’m going.

We said similar this year though Madness! Or at least I did.

I've actually bought a pair of skis and am keeping an eye on the forecast with a view to getting some turns in on Irish mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

We said similar this year though Madness! Or at least I did.

I've actually bought a pair of skis and am keeping an eye on the forecast with a view to getting some turns in on Irish mountains.

True but by autumn we will all be flying again as the majority will be vaccinated so it’s not just hope.
    I’ve my own skis and have managed a few turns near where I live when it has snowed over the years but never had a vehicle to get up up high.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement