Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55081476
    Germany is seeking an agreement with EU countries to keep ski resorts closed until early January, in an attempt to curb the spread of coronavirus.

"I will say this openly that it won't be easy, but we will try," Chancellor Angela Merkel said after speaking to Germany's regional leaders on Tuesday.

The news came as the country extended its partial lockdown until 20 December.

Some of the early European coronavirus hotspots were at ski resorts, helping spread infections across the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Rew wrote: »

Very sensible and if it means they can open up for later in the season it’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Staying closed over the Christmas and New Year period is going to be a massive hit financially for the larger resorts.

I think they will take a close look at the numbers in early Jan and decide then whether to open up or not. Thing is though, even if they do manage to open mid Jan, then there is a very high likelihood that they may need to close again in 3-4 weeks time if cases begin to rise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

So at the moment it looks like our options are hit a covid riddled Switzerland, which I suspect will be quite busy because it's the only place open, or sit it out and hope there's a window between our numbers and theirs later in the season

Think I prefer the second option of those two

Alternatively maybe the spanish resorts might open or the swedish ones

I would imagine that Switzerland will also shut down operations before too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

CNN has an informative report on the current status of skiing in Europe. Link below:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/europe-ski-season-doubts/index.html

Austrian resorts to open from December 24th for people living in Austria.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/01/austria-set-to-bow-to-pressure-on-covid-risk-with-ski-holiday-ban

a148pro wrote: »
    Again, if lockdown gets our numbers low and lockdowns over there get their numbers down it could work well for us, albeit you're still going to have to take that risk of the flight and self isolate on return

Here's an example of that - we are now, as I understand it, the best country in Europe and under 100 cases in the 14 day yoke. As such, we could currently ski in Austria under this proposal, AND we'd be the only ones allowed from Europe, which would be class

https://planetski.eu/2020/12/02/austria-set-to-introduce-stricter-quarantine-measures/

I also really like this suggestion from Italy, because it limits the day trippers and results in less numbers on the slopes to get in Paddy Irish's way

https://planetski.eu/2020/12/02/italian-ski-resorts-want-to-limit-skiers-to-overnight-guests-only/

However, the reality is that in practical terms its still very difficult. Nothing outside Switzerland yet open, a lot subject to change, and I don't know if there even is a direct flight to Austria you could get. I assume if you land in Munich and drive down you're treated as having come from Germany.

So some chinks of light but still lots of practical difficulties.

I also anticipate our numbers are going to go right up in early course due to our govts very short memory. So the chink may only be open very briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Here's an example of that - we are now, as I understand it, the best country in Europe and under 100 cases in the 14 day yoke. As such, we could currently ski in Austria under this proposal, AND we'd be the only ones allowed from Europe, which would be class

https://planetski.eu/2020/12/02/austria-set-to-introduce-stricter-quarantine-measures/

I also really like this suggestion from Italy, because it limits the day trippers and results in less numbers on the slopes to get in Paddy Irish's way

https://planetski.eu/2020/12/02/italian-ski-resorts-want-to-limit-skiers-to-overnight-guests-only/

However, the reality is that in practical terms its still very difficult. Nothing outside Switzerland yet open, a lot subject to change, and I don't know if there even is a direct flight to Austria you could get. I assume if you land in Munich and drive down you're treated as having come from Germany.

So some chinks of light but still lots of practical difficulties.

I also anticipate our numbers are going to go right up in early course due to our govts very short memory. So the chink may only be open very briefly.

I think (during my desperate search for hope) that I read if you are transferring in a different country it may not count - i.e. your country of origin stays as Ireland. So you could get an indirect flight to Innsbruck for example...

All this "waiting to find out" the plan for opening of resorts must be hideous for the poor tour operators.

• Advertisement

It could well be the case that you need to provide proof that you live in Austria before you can purchase a ticket.

And another piece of good news; this is really interesting, wouldn't expect the ECDC to be cheerleading anything dangerous:-

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/air-travel-should-not-be-considered-high-risk-for-spreading-covid-19-ecdc-1.4425595

So when I read the study I posted above I was worried about air travel. But then I thought, planes are still operating and staff are on planes etc but there is little other evidence of spread. So maybe the plane one I referred to is just another example of a super spreading event, which could just have easily happened in another environment?

You'd have to expected the ECDC to have looked at the literature before making this recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

France planning to keep their own skiers at home.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55157175

is_that_so wrote: »
    France planning to keep their own skiers at home.

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

I see most Austrian resorts are opening on the 24th of 25th December, but only for locals or daytrippers as hotels etc can't open until 7th January.
    Anyone with a booking for mid January to Austria should see it happen based on the current plans.
    I was not confident enough to book anything for this season.
    Good luck to anyone planning a trip.

I see most Austrian resorts are opening on the 24th of 25th December, but only for locals or daytrippers as hotels etc can't open until 7th January.

There not be many foreign day trippers I imagine, Austria is closing it's borders until Jan 7th, with those entering needing to quarantine on arrival.

Serious snow for the Dolomites at the moment. I would have been LAPPING it up as work diary went quiet. Although have just noticed my passport out of date as have had no need for it for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just deferred my trip to Austria on 9th January to 2022. Bummer, but I don’t think it would have been much of a trip if no apres ski etc ( not that I do anything wild, just a nice meal and a few quiet drinks in the evening.) Just too much uncertainty sadly. We could even be facing more lockdown here after Christmas. Have a second trip booked for end of Feb, but not hugely optimistic on that front either, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Serious snow for the Dolomites at the moment. I would have been LAPPING it up as work diary went quiet. Although have just noticed my passport out of date as have had no need for it for so long.

It’s snowing heavily everywhere in the alps too. It’s taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm lucky enough to be in Switzerland for work right now. Covid numbers are still quite bad but for now it looks like the resorts will open.

For all the snow there isn't that much open right now, the higher resorts are partially open with more having their opening this weekend. I was in Saas Fee last Sunday and hope to go again tomorrow. They had 50km open last weekend but a portion of that was closed again as we had too much snow! They are supposed to have 65km according to my Ski Pass App this weekend so delighted with that.

Any qs, fire away.

• Advertisement

The noise coming from the Swiss is ratcheting up every day, and some cantons have already taken action, e.g. Graubunden have closed restaurants. The Swiss numbers are also sky high at the moment, still around the 5,000 per day mark. Will be interesting to see what they do in the coming weeks.

This video is quite good, although you may need to understand some German to fully appreciate it (-:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFaFuGfGaa4

skallywag wrote: »
    The noise coming from the Swiss is ratcheting up every day, and some cantons have already taken action, e.g. Graubunden have closed restaurants. The Swiss numbers are also sky high at the moment, still around the 5,000 per day mark. Will be interesting to see what they do in the coming weeks.

There is friction between the Federal Gov and the cantons and also accros the Röstigraben. The Romandes are none too happy that the Federal Gov have imposed federal restrictions just as the Romande cantons open their restaurants again. They see this as a reaction to numbers worsening on the German side, though in fairness the numbers in the french speaking cantons are bad too but stable.

I could def see the mountain restaurants being shut but I think the slopes will remain open unless there is an incident of some type. 5000 a day is bad but it is far better than a month ago and that is being seen as something of a win at least here in Vaud.

Indeed, the Swiss are extremely canton orientated and do not take kindly to being told what to do from central gov, and things are indeed better than going back a few weeks. If it goes back to the situation where they have to export covid cases outside of the country again due to hospital capacity then it may force their hand, who knows.

Yeah, that would probably do it all right. If that happens we will have another round of restrictions.

The decreasing numbers was very positive but this week saw a small increase. There is a distinct increase in activity too since the restaurants opened round here.

That plus Christmas will only see cases go one way I think. For the most part the mountains are being well run/organised but you still have to share gondolas/cabins etc. They're not full capacity but they are full at times. That plus restaurants are the danger for the resorts. Ironically when more slopes/mountains open it might be better as the traffic will be distributed better.

This also made me chuckle ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiygTGPc1s

General opening of mountains due in Switzerland on Saturday however there is due a press conference from the federal government tomorrow to address our worsening numbers.

I am worried.

All resorts in the Kanton of St.Gallen shall close from December 22nd onwards, that has already been decided. Not sure about other kantons. Switzerland has done little or nothing in terms of measures so far and I believe that they now know that the game is up.

It looks like the writing is on the wall for us all right. It has been left up to cantons with an r below 1 to decide for themselves however.

I will try and get a few days between now and the 22nd.

• Advertisement

The hospitals in Bern have asked for the resorts in that kanton to close. That's a big one, it's a huge skiing kanton.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement