Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Running through the news sites here. Valais are saying hospitals won't take injured skiers. Vaud saying that for now mountains will remain open but another decision will be made on 22nd.

I know there are more things than skiing in life and people have lost loved ones. But what a horrible year all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Situation in Austria is quite daft, from the schools will close until Jan 18th under a third hard lockdown, but the resorts can still open if the local gov approves it. So you could have a situation where your kids and yourself are forced to stay at home but the ski resorts are running ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

skallywag wrote: »
    Situation in Austria is quite daft, from the schools will close until Jan 18th under a third hard lockdown, but the resorts can still open if the local gov approves it. So you could have a situation where your kids and yourself are forced to stay at home but the ski resorts are running ...

That's fcking outrageous, and frankly dangerous. How will my kids survive while I go skiing for two weeks?

Back from my forth day on the mountain this season. Seriously impressed with the setup today. Granted it wasn't that busy but groups being kept to their own Gondola, queing areas clearly marked for up to 100m meters back at first lift, and all the charlift lanes segregated.

I haven't always felt safe this year but today was perfectly fine, I didn't even get close to another human being only the one with me.

hmmm, it's not looking to great for skiing right now is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

a148pro wrote: »
    hmmm, it's not looking to great for skiing right now is it

Unfortunately I’d imagine none of us will get any skiing this season unless the roll out of the vaccine is fast and wide across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

maddness wrote: »
    Unfortunately I’d imagine none of us will get any skiing this season unless the roll out of the vaccine is fast and wide across Europe.

Yeah, realistically it’s not going to happen. Probably the thing I look forward to most each year. Hopefully 2022 will be back to normal.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. I. Will. Ski. This. Year.

By which I mean this season.

I'm not sure how, and it may just be in Scotland, it may just be in fecking Ireland, but i'll do it. On principle. Not giving in to this.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. I. Will. Ski. This. Year.

By which I mean this season.

I'm not sure how, and it may just be in Scotland, it may just be in fecking Ireland, but i'll do it. On principle. Not giving in to this.

Switzerland currently has no quarantine on arrival for Irish arrivals.

In fairness, you're right. And if we're locked down here anyway there may be no point in not going. My family may be unimpressed with me going into the devil's mouth though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Switzerland currently has no quarantine on arrival for Irish arrivals.

That's where I'm looking at for Jan. Only thing, I don't want to book yet as I want to see are this "government" going to shut down all flights, similar to the UK

Surely the better strategy would be to allow people to travel from the UK unimpeded, make no effort whatsoever to test them or ensure they are actually quarantining, then ban flights but let people fly to Belfast and come down etc etc

All while criminalising people who want to visit or rent a holiday home or go for a walk up a hill or forest or cycle into an adjacent county

That seems very logical doesn't it?

The above are why, since March, I've been following my own public health rules. Cannot be led by the salaried and pensioned no matter what idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I'm converting my ski bookings to MTB bookings in June. Changing the ferry and co-working booking to then. Too much uncertainty and not knowing what's going to happen with restrictions in Jan/Feb. If there's a potential late season last minute booking I'll jump on that but my 2+ month plan of work/ski is not going to happen (defer to 2022 instead!).

My family may be unimpressed with me going into the devil's mouth though.

I know what you mean. I suppose the important thing for me would be my ability to not expose anyone to anything. If you can test on way home and again after a few days the risk is pretty minimal. But that's up to you to decide.

I was in Saas Fee yesterday. Much busier than Leysin on Sun and they have much more enclosed lift system. Social distancing is impossible on the gondolas.

On the upside mask wearing is almost universal. You can pull them down on the piste but anywhere near a lift they're on.

mulbot wrote: »
    That's where I'm looking at for Jan. Only thing, I don't want to book yet as I want to see are this "government" going to shut down all flights, similar to the UK

In fairness I'm not sure I'd book too far in advance. Switzerland take countries on and off the q list frequently and the situation regarding which mountains are open is very fluid at the moment. Christmas could have a huge impact on the numbers here which would meant that action at either a cantonal or federal level would be likely

Agree completely with PCeeeee above. I'd only be booking if you can get a full refund if things do not pan out. Which could perhaps be possible this year, at least concerning accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ll be looking to see if I can go last minute for a few days in March or April to wherever I can ski without quarantine or restrictions. I am happy to get a test on return and if it means a few days away doing what I love doing it’s worth it.

maddness wrote: »
    I’ll be looking to see if I can go last minute for a few days in March or April to wherever I can ski without quarantine or restrictions. I am happy to get a test on return and if it means a few days away doing what I love doing it’s worth it.

I think everything will be infinitely more positive in March. My opinion counts as much as as other random lad on the Internet tho...

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I think everything will be infinitely more positive in March. My opinion counts as much as as other random lad on the Internet tho...

Spoken with true Swiss groundless optimism, but still with that 'let's do nothing urgently' attitude (-:

Spoken with true Swiss groundless optimism, but still with that 'let's do nothing urgently' attitude (-:

I don't see my optimism as groundless. But i respect that it could be seen as such.

It remains my belief.

• Advertisement

Well the numbers in Switzerland (and indeed also over the Rhine in Austria) are still massively high, CH at 5,000 cases per day and AT back up at nearly 3,000. The worrying thing too is that the recent lockdown did not really help as much as expected in the case of Austria, which locked down hard but is still at 3,000 cases per day.

Season kicked off today in Austria and we are all wondering how long it will last. Wearing the FFP2 mask is a real pain, and getting it on and off considering the helmet is a complete dose. Most are just leaving them on all the time, which is not so pleasant if you are going full pelt and breathing hard. Those with season tickets will try to get out now as much as possible, for fear of the pin been pulled at any time.

I do indeed hope you are correct though and things do indeed pick up.

Well the numbers in Switzerland (and indeed also over the Rhine in Austria) are still massively high, CH at 5,000 cases per day and AT back up at nearly 3,000. The worrying thing too is that the recent lockdown did not really help as much as expected in the case of Austria, which locked down hard but is still at 3,000 cases per day.

Season kicked off today in Austria and we are all wondering how long it will last. Wearing the FFP2 mask is a real pain, and getting it on and off considering the helmet is a complete dose. Most are just leaving them on all the time, which is not so pleasant if you are going full pelt and breathing hard. Those with season tickets will try to get out now as much as possible, for fear of the pin been pulled at any time.

I do indeed hope you are correct though and things do indeed pick up.

Well you got out anyhow ðŸ˜႒

I can't but be positive Skallywag. I'm not sure i want to think about another year of this crap. Enjoy it while you can.

Quite a bit of chat about the scenes at the lifts today ...

You need to keep in mind that the schools are fully shut until Jan 18th, to grab the full context.

image00002-3-768x576.jpeg

A view from higher back ...

image00010-768x576.jpeg

Where?

I think I see a Swiss flag there in the close up?

Damuels, Austria.

The flag is to welcome the normally welcome neighbours (-:

Pics look terrible alright. Verbier had similar enough scenes earlier but things seems to have settled a bit now. Not that I've been.

Hopefully they'll learn from it. The lift companie's approach really makes a difference. According to Vol.at there's an FFP2 mask requirement?

It's my own belief that outside is mostly safe, it's the Gondola's that are really a risk. But those pics look terrible from an optics point of view.

Yes, there is an FFP2 requirement. I do not believe that folk will learn though, most skiers do not care so mich, and the resorts just want the cash.

I agree with you, outside is probably fine, but when you are bunched in like that waiting to get on a lift for 10 minutes or more? As much as I love getting out in it myself I cannot see myself getting out this year in scenes like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Skallywag - Very nice! But the tight crowd looks like it could raise an alarm with the health services. Are you living in Austria at the moment?

I'm envious sitting here in Galway with very heavy rain & high wind pounding my house. I guess there's always waterskiing available in my garden or driveway - both are flooded!

I'm curious, do the FFP2 masks cause goggles to fog faster or leave a gap for air to rush in when going fast?

Have fun but do stay safe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement