Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Ah I know what you mean. There is a risk. I still think that there is plenty that the resorts can do and I think will, if they want to wait open. The school hols aren't helping either.

On the bright side if FFP2 are being worn the risk, even at very close quarters reduces significantly.. We wear them and goggles in work if we need to be near each other (less than 1.5m) for greater than 10 mins (cumulative throughout the day) and thus far have survived without any transmission.

I'll chance another day out next week and see how it looks after snow falls.

Some12 wrote: »
    Skallywag - Very nice! But the tight crowd looks like it could raise an alarm with the health services. Are you living in Austria at the moment?

I'm envious sitting here in Galway with very heavy rain & high wind pounding my house. I guess there's always waterskiing available in my garden or driveway - both are flooded!

I'm curious, do the FFP2 masks cause goggles to fog faster or leave a gap for air to rush in when going fast?

Have fun but do stay safe!

Fogs mine anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Yip, I live in Austria, but to be honest lads I am not going out this season yet, the pics I have put up are from either friends here who have gone out, or from local media.

Each to their own, and I certainly do not mean this as a slight on any others, but I myself think that the risk is massively high at the moment when skiing, regardless of how careful the resorts are. I was hoping to see 'channels' let's say with at least 1m between everyone, but that's clearly not the case from those images.

Conditions great here since yesterday too, so would love to have been out today. I am not at all worried about catching it myself, but a few members of my misses's family would be quite fragile.

Yes. a buddy told me the FFP2 can definitively bring on fogging of the goggles. There are some v good sprays you can put onto the googles to prevent that though, 'anti-beschlag spray' in german. Works real well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm hoping that our lockdown might get our numbers below 100 per whatever and make an Austrian outing viable while other countries too high to get in. Would make a midweek short jaunt more viable, particularly once Austrian schools open.

But a lot, again, up in the air.

Christmas 22 maybe

Absolute **** this

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    Christmas 22 maybe

Absolute **** this

Friend was thinking about coming over when things settle a bit. The other thing to consider is the flights. Very limited schedule atm as we discovered.

Yeah. Are irish allowed in without quarantine at moment? I mean if I knew work was cancelled I probably would go.

Yeah. Are irish allowed in without quarantine at moment? I mean if I knew work was cancelled I probably would go.

No q for Irish atm but they update very quickly. Current list below. The changes work both ways to be fair they remove countries immediately if they improve numbers wise.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#1918240392

Well we are down the swany for sure. Fastest growth in europe I think.

Well we are down the swany for sure. Fastest growth in europe I think.

Criteria for q list is '14-day incidence. This incidence represents the number of new infections that have occurred per 100,000 people in the last 14 days. If the incidence in a particular country is at least 60 higher than the incidence in Switzerland, the country is put on the list, because it has a higher risk of infection than Switzerland'

Next update is Monday morning, we don't do numbers over the weekend. Current 14 day incidence rate is 583/100,000. Ireland is still only at 225/100,000. That said Irish 7 day is into 4 figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Does anybody have a booking made with Crystal? I see that their late January weeks in France are now unavailable and next available is 6th Feb.

Still waiting to find out if France will open lifts on the 20th so was wondering have they cut their losses or have they been given a heads up.

Not seriously considering going at the moment just to the high cases but keeping a close eye to see if the situation improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Does anybody have a booking made with Crystal? I see that their late January weeks in France are now unavailable and next available is 6th Feb.

Still waiting to find out if France will open lifts on the 20th so was wondering have they cut their losses or have they been given a heads up.

Not seriously considering going at the moment just to the high cases but keeping a close eye to see if the situation improves.

I was going to book with them but I've been watching for a while and the updates on the site have pushed out the dates for booking continuously( Jan 7th...jsn 15th etc) so I'm holding off.

If anyone is familiar with Switzerland,(an option I'm looking at if it's possible to go) what's the easiest way to get to the resorts from Geneva. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As a person who really values my annual ski holiday, I'm genuinely surprised that people are still looking at going skiing this season.
    It's one year.
    Do without for the common good.

Has everyone forgotten the role ski resorts had in hastening the spread of this virus across Europe?

I don't think anyone is advocating the risky activities such as apres or lift queue throngs. Any resorts currently open (in Switzerland at least) are doing take away food and drink only, no bars or restaurants open and, in theory, lift queues are being managed. Skiing contributed to the spread the last time because people didn't know the virus was among them until it was too late.

if I went I'd almost certainly go self catering and try and find somewhere with chair lifts or just go ski touring altogether

Besides, the virus is already here and doing very well for itself as it is. Don't think going skiing is any riskier than allowing, as we have, tens of thousands of people to come into our country unchecked from other jurisdictions where the virus is rampant, or allowing "gastro" pubs to operate without any of the protections that are supposed to be in place, which I've seen right under my nose in dublin. Places without food menu or masks. Feck that.

mulbot wrote: »
    If anyone is familiar with Switzerland,(an option I'm looking at if it's possible to go) what's the easiest way to get to the resorts from Geneva. Thanks.

The easiest thing is to drive. IMO.

Or the train.

Where do you want to go?

I should say be careful, Ireland will almost certainly go on the red list here soon, meaning you'll have to do 14 days q on way in.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    The easiest thing is to drive. IMO.

Or the train.

Where do you want to go?

I should say be careful, Ireland will almost certainly go on the red list here soon, meaning you'll have to do 14 days q on way in.

Thanks for the reply. I had thought originally Saas Fee with a flight into Milan, but for now that's out. I would be open to any resort really, train from Geneva most probably

mulbot wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I had thought originally Saas Fee with a flight into Milan, but for now that's out. I would be open to any resort really, train from Geneva most probably

Saas Fee is about a three hour drive from Geneva. Or train will bring you as far as Simplon or Brig then Post Bus up to Saas Fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

As a person who really values my annual ski holiday, I'm genuinely surprised that people are still looking at going skiing this season.
    It's one year.
    Do without for the common good.

Has everyone forgotten the role ski resorts had in hastening the spread of this virus across Europe?

Same here. As disappointed as I am to write off this year, I don’t think it would be as enjoyable anyway in the current circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

trashcan wrote: »
    Same here. As disappointed as I am to write off this year, I don’t think it would be as enjoyable anyway in the current circumstances.

The photo memories are killing me! First time to miss a season in about 16 years. Even when I was pregnant, I went hiking & met with the others in huts etc. Planning to go hiking in Hinterglemm in July... fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    The photo memories are killing me! First time to miss a season in about 16 years. Even when I was pregnant, I went hiking & met with the others in huts etc. Planning to go hiking in Hinterglemm in July... fingers crossed.

Say hello to the goats in Goatstall for me ðŸ˜

Say hello to the goats in Goatstall for me ðŸ˜

It's right behind the hotel! It's weird seeing it all in the summer, all the apres places are closed and in the middle of green fields.
    I hope we get a bit of snow here... just to have a bit of craic with the sleds etc! Give some of the gear an airing.

It's right behind the hotel! It's weird seeing it all in the summer, all the apres places are closed and in the middle of green fields.
    I hope we get a bit of snow here... just to have a bit of craic with the sleds etc! Give some of the gear an airing.

A long time ago I passed through Austria in summertime. It looked gorgeous. I always meant to go back but never made it. Someday.

Enjoy.

A long time ago I passed through Austria in summertime. It looked gorgeous. I always meant to go back but never made it. Someday.

Enjoy.

Thanks!! I really recommend it - they really have invested in summer infrastructure to make it a year round business. Loads to do. You can get some cracking weather and the value is great. We stay in a 5* hotel, 3/4 board (with 8 course dinners!) for less per night than a mobile home in Italy/France.

Thanks!! I really recommend it - they really have invested in summer infrastructure to make it a year round business. Loads to do. You can get some cracking weather and the value is great. We stay in a 5* hotel, 3/4 board (with 8 course dinners!) for less per night than a mobile home in Italy/France.

A via feratta is on my list of things to do. You have me sold😀

I'm done with putting things off. Covid has thought me that

trashcan wrote: »

In fairness this is worth bearing in mind - I've done a few under the radar trips during lockdown cycling alone, and while it was great to get out it was hard to relax worrying about gardai or locals confronting you. If you aren't resigned to going and are worried about it it wouldn't be worth it.

Going to try and do a bit in ireland now, hiking and then skiing a bit down. Anyone get out in the snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

We've one last week left here in South Tyrol, best snow in years and we haven't had one single solitary hour of skiing :( All areas are shut by Government mandate. We are close to Schnals and I've seen a few Team Germany/Andorra/vans in the area so some runs are allowed for professionals I guess? Normally we have 3/4 trips planned each year but this is the first time in nearly a decade with nothing on the cards. Local news is up in arms over the activities across the border in Tirol.

The r number is creeping up here in Suisse. Ominous rumblings in the papers about the consequences of that.

In the meantime I've had a few days over Christmas. My local mountain is accessible entirely by chairlifts so is totally stress free. Was up this morning in the freezing cold and fog. I felt very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

In fairness this is worth bearing in mind - I've done a few under the radar trips during lockdown cycling alone, and while it was great to get out it was hard to relax worrying about gardai or locals confronting you. If you aren't resigned to going and are worried about it it wouldn't be worth it.

I think this raises a very good point.

Imagine the scenario where it was indeed possible to conveniently go skiing at the moment. Skiing itself is now (well, probably ..) relatively safe, in that there is no Apres Ski, they have put measures in place to have distanced queuing, etc. So I would not tend to worry so much about getting infected.

That said, the public perception at the moment re skiing is muck. I think if I was to head from Ireland on a ski trip at the moment, with the numbers etc. currently being as high as they are, etc., then my friends, family, co-workers etc. would go absolutely insane, to the point that one could be looking at major fallings out with long term consequences, etc.

Those of us who ski know what the real situation on the ground is, but the public perception is currently so damaged that I think I would really keep away from it right now, i.e. even imagining a situation that one could easily still go from Ireland, and did not have to quarantine, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Loads of things that you're not allowed to do right now are probably very safe on an individual level. Going to a shopping centre I believe is actually very low risk. The problem is if you allow it a small number of people will get it. Some of them will pass it to no one and some will pass it to a few, and the same goes for each of those people.

It's hard to get people on side getting them to not do things they enjoy doing that are low risk on an individual basis. Skiing as described above probably is low risk, but if people start going a few will come back with the disease. There's no avoiding airports, or supermarkets when you're there if you're self catering, or a few queues for lifts etc. And they're the careful people. Once you allow it you'll have the less careful people too.

And of course, loads or things are low risk. Going to a beach resort, eating outside. That's very low risk too. Same with a golf holiday. But the higher we set the level of risk we're willing to accept, the more cases we'll have, simple as that. We decided to abandon rules over Christmas and now they're talking about 7000 confirmed cases a day. To be honest, I think there was no stopping people spending Christmas with their families. It has killed people without doubt, but without admitting it, we did decide it was worth it.

I just don't see skiing happening this year. If you allow it you have to allow other types of holidays too. And I just don't see us getting the numbers down enough while there's still snow anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement