Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Twee. wrote: »
    Louise McGuane has a piece up today around "Murraygate". https://whiskeygate.wordpress.com/2020/09/23/murraygate-is-not-about-words-its-about-respect-for-women-who-work-in-the-whiskey-industry/

As a woman in the drinks industry thankfully I've never been sexually harassed (comments here and there but nothing dangerous) but I have had my opinion shot down, I've been grilled by consumers (!) at drinks events in a way that my male colleagues have never, I have been asked stupid basic questions by industry professionals that were asked in a way to "prove" my understanding of the subject, I've been advised that the certain drink I've ordered is strong or expensive - was I sure I wanted that, I've sat in meetings for million-euro businesses who didn't even consider women as a viable target market. This whole thing has just lifted the lid on many real-world experiences, the less gendered and sexualised crap going around the better.

I love JJCorry and Louise but if , "“Have I had this much fun with a sexy 41-year-old Canadian before? Well, yes I have. But it was a few years back now and it wasn’t a whisky. Was the fun we had better? Probably not.” is the best ammunition (and that seems to be the 'worst' I can find ...describing a whiskey as orgasmic doesnt make you a sex offender)people can come up with to hound and vilify Murray I despair for the future .
    To mention Murray's language used in his reviews while also referencing people trying to break into your hotel bedroom is dangerous stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Took a punt on a Compass Box Spice Tree (As recommended by the notorious JM... Although this has been on my list for a while). On a whim also ordered a bottle of Paul John Brilliance.

I'm really interested in Paul John and Amrut. The climate means they reportedly see more evaporation than distilleries in the Northern hemisphere, and if I'm right then this is one reason they're reportedly turning out good whiskey at younger ages than might be expected (One reason, anyway, I think I'm paraphrasing more than a little?). I bought a bottle of Amrut Fusion for a friend when he got engaged to his missus, and he raved about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I'm really interested in Paul John and Amrut. The climate means they reportedly see more evaporation than distilleries in the Northern hemisphere, and if I'm right then this is one reason they're reportedly turning out good whiskey at younger ages than might be expected (One reason, anyway, I think I'm paraphrasing more than a little?). I bought a bottle of Amrut Fusion for a friend when he got engaged to his missus, and he raved about it.

The Paul John stuff is lovely. I have a 100ml each of Paul John Edited and Paul John Peated Select Cask on the way. I was surprised how much I enjoyed them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I see Tesco have added a few more whiskies to their range recently; Drumshanbo, Makers Mark and Sexton. Might be more that i've missed but I think thats it. Decent coup for Drumshanbo to get in there I think, can see that doing well. Don't know much about Sexton but the bottle would nearly put me off.

I see Tesco have added a few more whiskies to their range recently; Drumshanbo, Makers Mark and Sexton. Might be more that i've missed but I think thats it. Decent coup for Drumshanbo to get in there I think, can see that doing well. Don't know much about Sexton but the bottle would nearly put me off.

The sexton bottle is supposed to be impossible to pour without spilling.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »

I usually like an usual bottle shape/design but that one does nothing for me. Quick google doesn't fill me with much confidence, JC Master Distribution are behind it going by their website but I don't see anything about a distillery so I assume this is just bought stock?

I usually like an usual bottle shape/design but that one does nothing for me. Quick google doesn't fill me with much confidence, JC Master Distribution are behind it going by their website but I don't see anything about a distillery so I assume this is just bought stock?

Its 4/5 year old Bushmills. Produced by Proximo who own both Bushmills and Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bought from Bushmills I think, as per the below:
    http://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/Sexton-Single-Malt-p/sexton.htm

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'll give it a wide berth so, even at €40 theres a lot of decent options out there that isn't bought stock. Planning on raiding the O' Briens sale one last time tonight before it finishes. If anyone else is wondering their Facebook and Instagram both say it ends on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sexton is ok ,as stated its from Bushmills and a bit of a sherry bomb ,kinda like Black Bush plus 20% more fruity oomph .I loved it at Whiskey Live a few years ago but got a litre bottle in a UK airport and wasnt as keen .Still nic though and Id be tempted to have a punt at 40 euro but might go for a Tyrconnell Single malt instead esp at OBriens sale price of low 30s.Oh and yes the bottle is impossible to pour without spilling a little .This is especially mournful for us tighter gits who dont want to loose a drop .By the way if you leave an 'empty' bottle upside down for a minute or two you will find a generous sip pooled down the bottom .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Had this gem on the site:

"Marked by soul of the North Coast of Ireland.
    Born in the cold northern reaches of County Antrim, alongside Saint Columb's Rill."

So it's Bushmills, given St Columb's is a tributary of the River Bush. :D:D:D:D:D:D

---

Just on that, I had completely missed that Diageo offloaded Bushmills back in 2014.

I remember doing a tour of the distillery back in 2008 and I grabbed a bottle of their Bushmills Cream, and then it went away given its potential to cannibalize Bailey's share.

Whatever about the intricacies of the sale, seems an odd one, but the recent and massive increase in popularity of Irish Whiskey, means that Bushmills really should be exploited more than it has been. Anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

had a Laphroaig 10 and a Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso this evening

been a while since I had any of my Laphroaig 10 and it's just beautiful, lovely sweetness in it, which prompted me onto the Nadurra

I'll give it a wide berth so, even at €40 theres a lot of decent options out there that isn't bought stock. Planning on raiding the O' Briens sale one last time tonight before it finishes. If anyone else is wondering their Facebook and Instagram both say it ends on Sunday.

Update, picked up the Brabazon 1.

Brabazon2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,071 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, terrible bottle design. Looks like it would start flowing before the neck has cleared the sides.
    So it's Bushmills, given St Columb's is a tributary of the River Bush. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    St Columb's is the river Bushmills distillery is built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmm. Might be one for a decanter. Or if not available, pour the bottle into a jug, and then use a funnel to put it into a regular bottle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hmm. Might be one for a decanter. Or if not available, pour the bottle into a jug, and then use a funnel to put it into a regular bottle.

Or drink it by the neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Pour the bottle into a jug, and then use a funnel to put it into a regular bottle.

Why the need for a jug? Just go straight from bottle to funnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

0041289_stainless-steel-free-flow-spirit-pourer_550.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

had a Laphroaig 10 and a Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso this evening

been a while since I had any of my Laphroaig 10 and it's just beautiful, lovely sweetness in it, which prompted me onto the Nadurra

Laphroaig 10 is probably my overall favourite whiskey. Definitely not for everyone.....but it sure is for me!

Laphroaig 10 has been hugely consistent over the years, definitely a cracker.

In terms of new (newish?) Islay distilleries I really enjoyed the Kilchoman samples I've had. I think a bottle is in order, sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Laphroaig is a great distillery and the 10 is indeed lovely, but ardbeg, for me, is the top dog from islay. A bonus with ardbeg too is natural colouring, 46% abv (40% for Laphroaig) and no filtering. Plus their blends, like Uigeadail and corryvreckan, are on another level to anything else from islay.

Just ordered the corryvreckan and lagavulin 12 cask strength (pricey but an unbelievable whisky). Looking forward to some nice peaty goodness over the coming winter :D

Laphroaig 10 is probably my overall favourite whiskey. Definitely not for everyone.....but it sure is for me!

Laphroaig 10 has been hugely consistent over the years, definitely a cracker.

In terms of new (newish?) Islay distilleries I really enjoyed the Kilchoman samples I've had. I think a bottle is in order, sooner or later.

Laphroaig 10 is one to always have on the shelf. I'm getting my own Laphroaig sample night together and have the 10, select, lore, quarter cask, 18 and 25 cask strength so far. One for a dark November night!

Kilchoman is one I haven't tried so far but it's on the list. I've heard good things about their whisky.

Wailin wrote:
    Just ordered the corryvreckan and lagavulin 12 cask strength (pricey but an unbelievable whisky). Looking forward to some nice peaty goodness over the coming winter

Winter doesn't seem too bad now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Winter might start for me tonight! Have Talisker Skye, Ardbeg 10 and samples of Lagavulin 12 CS to dip into.

My two passions in life are Bob Dylan and whiskey but if I had to choose one forever I wouldn't hesitate to say goodbye to whiskey. So I was delighted to hear he has released a new episode of his theme time radio show for the first time in 11.5 years. Each show Dylan picks a specific theme and plays songs and tells stories based on it. I was even more delighted to hear that the theme of this new episode is whiskey. Apparently he shares a few whiskey cocktail recipes and stories from the Clancy brothers about drinking whiskey.

Dylan has his own whiskey called Heavens Door so I have procured my own sample of Double Barrel to try while I listen along. Now this being Bob Dylan it ain't no Proper 12.

Currently €135 in Celtic Whiskey Shop with a Straight Rye and Tennessee Bourbon also released at €102 each. It's going to be a great couple of hours.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Heaven's%20Door%20Double%20Barrel

A great night with the Double Barrel being a perfect accompaniment. Here is the show for anyone interested.

Laphroaig 10 is one to always have on the shelf. I'm getting my own Laphroaig sample night together and have the 10, select, lore, quarter cask, 18 and 25 cask strength so far. One for a dark November night!

I recently finished a bottle of Lore, and it's a really good whisky, a good example of how a no age statement product can still be really luxurious and high end. Might be the best Islay bottle I had in 2019/2020.
    Kilchoman is one I haven't tried so far but it's on the list. I've heard good things about their whisky.

I can't remember what I've had, as the samples were from Christmas 2019, but they were top notch... Peated, but very refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Update, picked up the Brabazon 1.

Brabazon2.jpg

Is brabazon 1 in the sale too? It's not on their website, which store did you get it in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A great night with the Double Barrel being a perfect accompaniment. Here is the show for anyone interested.

It's up on the pod cast apps too if you tube doesn't suit. It's a wonderful listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Obriens whiskey sale ends Sunday and seems some extra reductions.

Roe and Co €30 (my own favorite everyday tipple)
    Knappogue 12 €35
    Green spot €50
    Method and madness single grain €40
    Powers 3 swallow release €30

• Advertisement

actuar90 wrote: »
    Is brabazon 1 in the sale too? It's not on their website, which store did you get it in?

Yeah it was reduced down to €70 from €78. I got it in Carlow shop, was in beside the Brabazon 2 which had the same reduction. I went in planning on getting yellow spot or Dingle but saw that and went for it instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement