Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Just to comment on MVR vs RB21. RB21 is more of a whiskey drinkers favourite imo. I've given both to non whiskey drinkers before and nearly all went for MVR. MVR is a few note drink but they smash those notes and sometimes that's all a great whiskey needs to do.

Still paying over the odds though for MVR but you can say the same for all the premium irish whiskey range.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Yep. It was purged during the week. The american and irish sell pages have murged. Called 'Water of Life' if trying to get in.

Thanks a million!!!!

Just to comment on MVR vs RB21. RB21 is more of a whiskey drinkers favourite imo. I've given both to non whiskey drinkers before and nearly all went for MVR. MVR is a few note drink but they smash those notes and sometimes that's all a great whiskey needs to do.

Still paying over the odds though for MVR but you can say the same for all the premium irish whiskey range.

Very fair point. With a whiskey at that price aswell people want to feel like theyre drinking something special (especially if theyre not big whiskey drinkers) and MVR definetly has more of a luxury aura about it than RB21. Goes to show the value of branding and marketing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The latest Celtic Whiskey Shop whiskey club sample is Dublin Liberties Murder Lane, 13 Year Old Single Malt that has been matured in ex-Bourbon barrels before being finished in Hungarian Tokaj wine casks.

€160 for a bottle of it, but an absolutely sublime whiskey. I have found a new favourite. I just need to find the funds to finance my latest discovery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The latest Celtic Whiskey Shop whiskey club sample is Dublin Liberties Murder Lane, 13 Year Old Single Malt that has been matured in ex-Bourbon barrels before being finished in Hungarian Tokaj wine casks.

€160 for a bottle of it, but an absolutely sublime whiskey. I have found a new favourite. I just need to find the funds to finance my latest discovery :D

I do like Tokaj wines but I’ve never tasted a whiskey finished in Tokaj cask. I might get a sample. On the price though, 160€ for a 13yo which is not even cask strength or single cask? I keep saying it but I really can’t wait the ass to fall out of the current whiskey market. Somebody please burst this bubble!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How many whiskeys are ever single cask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

All of them are at some point. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I keep saying it but I really can’t wait the ass to fall out of the current whiskey market.

Why?
    No one is forcing you to buy anything.
    You can get an Irish whiskey in Aldi for €19.
    Essentially, if you don't value or want a product, you don't want anyone else to have the choice to buy it. That is rather bizarre.

I think supercars are horrendously overpriced and ostentatious. Do I wish that they didn't exist? No. I don't buy them.

Mellor wrote: »

All of them are at some point. ;)

Ha, how many bottled whiskeys are single cask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Black Bush back to 26e in tescoes. Really cant go wrong with a splash of aqua imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think supercars are horrendously overpriced and ostentatious. Do I wish that they didn't exist? No. I don't buy them.
    He's not wishing supercars didn't exist, he's happy for them to exist, he just wants them to cost
    Ha, how many bottled whiskeys are single cask?
    :D
    I can think of maybe 2 of 3 that I've seen in Irish whiskey recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Picked up a bottle of glenlivet distillers reserve in France (intermarché) for €25. Few drams over the weekend, going down grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of glenlivet distillers reserve in France (intermarché) for €25. Few drams over the weekend, going down grand.

It's grand, but keep an eye out for the 12 year old, that's a notch about the reserve.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's grand, but keep an eye out for the 12 year old, that's a notch about the reserve.

Yeah I’ve had the 12 year old, none the day i was there :(. But at €25 it’s hard to leave it there....

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah I’ve had the 12 year old, none the day i was there :(. But at €25 it’s hard to leave it there....

Yeah a lot of the single malts are being sold without age statements in supermarkets and airports as their stocks run low eg Talisker Skye was on the shelf in carrefour but not the aged version.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There seems to be a slight improvement in the availability of age statemented product in supermarkets and airports again after 3 or 4 years of the NAS stuff taking over. That's observation rather than evidence based of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

1L of Jameson for 19 quid in Lux airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

was given a bottle of teelings single malt as a gift this morning

i usually drink scotch, love islays, and i've a couple of others like a sherry cask finished glenlivet

is the teelings single malt ok should i drink it neat or with ice?

was given a bottle of teelings single malt as a gift this morning
    i usually drink scotch, love islays, and i've a couple of others like a sherry cask finished glenlivet
    is the teelings single malt ok should i drink it neat or with ice?

Nice gift!

If in doubt, drink it the same way you would drink the Glenlivet, some of the Islays are peated so it should be more like the Glenlivet than them.

With Scotch single malts I use 1 ice cube, with Irish I would tend to use a splash of Ballygowan. But you could try both to compare.

And do tell us how it compares to the Scotches :)

IMG-20190816-160615.jpg

Why are you showing us a bottle of armagnac?

• Advertisement

There's no armagnac thread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So start one?

Back on topic. Christ these two are strong. Tasty stuff though.

Stagg from the Buffalo Trace lads - sweet and smokey. 65%!

Widow Jane is a strong classic bourbon - oak, vanilla etc.

IMG-20190817-222304.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If I drag that picture across both 23" monitors, it fits - just about...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

Was in O'Briens at the weekend picking up some Knappogue 12yr old as its on sale and the guy behind the counter said the next Whiskey Sale is expected start of September, he couldn't confirm the exact date or what will be on offer but said that Yellow spot and Glendalough will likely be on offer again.

EugeC90 wrote: »
    Was in O'Briens at the weekend picking up some Knappogue 12yr old as its on sale and the guy behind the counter said the next Whiskey Sale is expected start of September, he couldn't confirm the exact date or what will be on offer but said that Yellow spot and Glendalough will likely be on offer again.

Picked up a bottle of that Knappogue. As good as you'll get for that price.

Theres way too much whiskey in my house at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Was in the Celtic Whiskey Shop the other day and they mentioned they were expecting a 25yo Glendalough next month. Anybody know anything about that? Big fan of the 13yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Was in the Celtic Whiskey Shop the other day and they mentioned they were expecting a 25yo Glendalough next month. Anybody know anything about that? Big fan of the 13yo.

https://www.glendaloughdistillery.com/project/whiskey-connoisseur-collection

Keep an eye here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Back in January I think I saw an article about this regarding Glendalough’s entry to the US market. Think it is bottled at 46%. Price? No idea but maybe north of 500€.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement