Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Big Phil made a huge miscalculation thinking that the public would buy into this one - even with the threat of having water cut off - then having it reduced to a drip. "They won't like that" he said.

The hope was that people would pay up before they realised what they were doing.

Once people hesitated and thought about it, the plan collapsed.

It's like a garage selling a banger - "If you don't buy it now, it'll be sold by this afternoon"

Rush, rush, rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I wonder can we have a plebiscite on privatisation, that's equally as binding as a referendum right?
    If that were to happen I suspect the constitution would soon get flooded with lots of stuff that ought not be in there.

The people I knew who refused to pay the water charges did not actually have anything against them per se. The actual problem was them coming on the heels of USC et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

PommieBast wrote: »
    If that were to happen I suspect the constitution would soon get flooded with lots of stuff that ought not be in there.

The people I knew who refused to pay the water charges did not actually have anything against them per se. The actual problem was them coming on the heels of USC et al.

The people I know felt they already paid through taxation, however like your claim mine can also be filed under the heading Anecdote

Most people would have been quite surprised that IW appeared out of the woodwork recently to make an announcement to the effect that we can all stop worrying because the water charges are being postponed "indefinitely".

The truth is, nobody was worried! Nobody had any intention of paying anyway. Everybody had forgotten that domestic water charges even existed - perhaps IW should have left it that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Benedict wrote: »
    Most people would have been quite surprised that IW appeared out of the woodwork recently to make an announcement to the effect that we can all stop worrying because the water charges are being postponed "indefinitely".

The truth is, nobody was worried! Nobody had any intention of paying anyway. Everybody had forgotten that domestic water charges even existed - perhaps IW should have left it that way!

I imagine the Labour Party, and Alan Kelly in particular, agree with that sentiment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Nah ! forgive me for being blunt ...but you are speaking straight out of your ar$es...

Water charges will not happen in the very near future...but a couple of years from now the climate pressure will become so great that Pat will no longer be able to withstand it.

Pressure will come from Europe and the little cnunts that avoided school to support young Greta will have become more vocal....and have more influence.

The Govt know this of course and are happy to play the long game ...they know that Pat will eventually have to stump up for a valuable commodity like most of Europe and the rest of the World.

In the meantime look for "sneaky" taxes that can be siphoned off to support IW...so put the megafones away lad's it's game over ...

Remember you heard it here first ......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nah ! forgive me for being blunt ...but you are speaking straight out of your ar$es...

Water charges will not happen in the very near future...but a couple of years from now the climate pressure will become so great that Pat will no longer be able to withstand it.

Pressure will come from Europe and the little cnunts that avoided school to support young Greta will have become more vocal....and have more influence.

The Govt know this of course and are happy to play the long game ...they know that Pat will eventually have to stump up for a valuable commodity like most of Europe and the rest of the World.

In the meantime look for "sneaky" taxes that can be siphoned off to support IW...so put the megafones away lad's it's game over ...

We did yeah. You're the internet equivalent of paddy last.

You're just the latest poster trumpeting the exact same line, stop thinking you're unique or are ahead of the curve Nevin. How's them daily fines of millions panning out might I ask? Maybe ave a word with servile Simon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You thought IW and water metering was about the environment? It was about 'looking after our (FG) own and rinsing the public in the wake of a crash and throws of austerity. Disgusting con.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lookit, the boy Parsnipp is on the mark.

The long game is being played and the bullhorn militia can leave the placards in the shed.

I doubt if the appetite for jumping into holes in Clonmel is still there or the 0600 hrs pickets on estates.

The charges will come in and everyone using the expensive product will pay....not today or next year, but eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The long game is being played and the bullhorn militia can leave the placards in the shed.

The charges will come in and everyone using the expensive product will pay....not today or next year, but eventually.

Look at this post without this line.
    I doubt if the appetite for jumping into holes in Clonmel is still there or the 0600 hrs pickets on estates.

Considering it was slap bang in the middle of the rest, it's extremely contradictory. The long game, not today or next year, but it'll come. :D

Get up the yard Brenner, they had the chance and they funked it up. Get over her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

It baffles me how badly water resources are managed in Ireland, always been. I'm from the Algarve where we have 6 months with no rain, still we got water, our wells don't run dry and it's possible to go to fountains and get water from them. Numerous people do this. When I moved 10 years ago I got shocked with brown water out of the tap, it's normal to drink water from the tap back home.

We do pay water charges to the council and these water charges go to maintain the water supply and the general water pipes and in most cases IT IS NOT managed by a private company but by local councils. Most cases as recent there has been a wave of semi-private companies popping up in some councils to "manage" the water.

However in general terms it's managed locally by dedicate council teams. In the Algarve there is the Águas do Algarve managed by all the city councils of the region and ensures there's drinkable water in every tap. We did in the last few years been facing bigger droughts that are stressing the system, we're talking year to 18 month without serious rain to actually fill up the dams and water resources.

So in a country with so much rain and me now living in the countryside I'm surprised there was genuine worry when there's a few weeks without rain! Or even more shocking the hosepipe bans that never, I repeat, never happened in a country where normally we'd have half a year without rain. Heck we have councils joyfully watering city gardens the whole summer

On top of that read recently that news on The Guardian on how many rivers are polluted in Ireland, which means it's hardly possible to use the rivers as water sources for the population.

All of this to say, the EU is there for many things and one of them is for each country maybe learn with other countries in how they manage their resources. There's loads Portugal has to learn with Ireland, mainly there's less bureaucracy, public works are done in a more efficient and timely way (if you think Ireland is bad, fixing a street used to take between 6 months to two years as the bureaucracy spaguetti unravelled, it's slowly getting better thankfully)

So why not look at what other countries are doing and apply it to Ireland? What is even more shocking is that these are ongoing for years and it's clear how governments are not doing anything? Literally, no one is holding FF and FG accountable for their inability at resolving crucial problems like water resources management... But the last election showed the Irish are maybe waking up and I don't think this passivity in governance will last longer.

NOTE: I'm not for SF but the fact they got the votes they got the last election shows people are really getting tired with the same kind of inane politics from the same parties. I can't vote on any of it either. Though if FF and FG want to continue to be relevant they really need to start actually acting on it... and solving the water issues in Ireland should be a priority...

McMurphy wrote: »
    Look at this post without this line.

Considering it was slap bang in the middle of the rest, it's extremely contradictory. The long game, not today or next year, but it'll come. :D

Get up the yard Brenner, they had the chance and they funked it up. Get over her.

R.P. It was certainly badly handled, gave the 1% ers a stick to use and the ‘flying pickets’ a chance to give the rozzers a few slaps.

They needed no second invitation to get involved in a bit of ‘recreational’ and a chance to use the latest smart phones for a few vids.

Which they all seemed to have........

Lookit...... we have plenty potable water now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Vieira82 wrote: »
    So why not look at what other countries are doing and apply it to Ireland? What is even more shocking is that these are ongoing for years and it's clear how governments are not doing anything?
    They did. However Irish Water is/was a textbook example of political quick fixes coming home to roost. Councils had not funded infrastructure works ever since domestic rates were abolished in 1977, basically because the increases in general taxation that was supposed to pay for it was instead used to plug various budget black holes.

"Eventually" we'll all be dead!

Benedict wrote: »
    "Eventually" we'll all be dead!

Nobody really knows what their own expiry date is.
    What we do know is the expiry date of all those buried water meter costing millions that never returned as much as a red cent is.
    Seeing as nothing is going to disturb them for what little time they have left, then the decent thing is to let them rest in peace.

I doubt you realise it, but you have added to the case as to why there needs to be a referendum to ensure this "valuable commodity" is never privatised.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I doubt you realise it, but you have added to the case as to why there needs to be a referendum to ensure this "valuable commodity" is never privatised.

You doubt ? :confused:

Would have no probs with a referendum sham.....but Pat will eventually have to pay for water usage...

You doubt ? :confused:

Would have no probs with a referendum sham.....but Pat will eventually have to pay for water usage...

Pat and Patricia will be long gone before any politician dreams of going within a country mile of even mentioning the toxic subject of water charges.

Delusional if you believe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Strangely enough, none of the great legal minds on this forum that believe a referendum is necessary have ever been able to come up with a wording that works.

Those among us who believe a referendum is pointless and possibly got serious unintended consequences are still waiting for that wording.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Strangely enough, none of the great legal minds on this forum that believe a referendum is necessary have ever been able to come up with a wording that works.

Those among us who believe a referendum is pointless and possibly got serious unintended consequences are still waiting for that wording.

The point you have continually avoided/ignored is that you and "the great legal minds" opinions are not worth the breath it wastes.

Any government that has the vaguest intention of re-visiting water charges in the distant future does not have the slightest hope of doing so unless they first come up with wording an amendment that satisfies the electorate that it cast iron guarantees water services will never be privatised.

If yourself and these "great legal minds" have every any hope of an kind of future possibilities for your beloved water charges, then you would be better off spending your time coming up with a wording that is acceptable to the rest of us in the great unwashed category than repeating the same old drivel ad nauseam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I remember a poster called Godge who didn't know the difference between a plebiscite and a referendum, strangely I feel he is still with us.

Pat and Patricia will be long gone before any politician dreams of going within a country mile of even mentioning the toxic subject of water charges.

Delusional if you believe otherwise.

You seriously think the push for water charges will come from "a politician" ?

You have a very closed mind compadre ?

The push will come from external sources and a new shiny Pat and Patricia finally realising that potable water is an expensive and valuable commodity.

Too vauable to have Jemmser sprayin it all over his patch willy nilly and givin the Dacia a weekly wash.

No my friend you need to see the signs that aware people see...the tide is changing .....new and more responsible thinking is coming ...the reality of climate change will soon be obvious even to backward folk such as yourself.

No shame in that by the way ...we all can't be up to speed on everything.

Are they still singing "Faith of our Fathers " in Croke Park...is the Bishop still tossing in the ball ?

Noooo ...as the great Bob D sang "The times they are a changin".......

The push will come from external sources and a new shiny Pat and Patricia finally realising that potable water is an expensive and valuable commodity.

Too vauable to have Jemmser sprayin it all over his patch willy nilly and givin the Dacia a weekly wash.

No my friend you need to see the signs that aware people see...the tide is changing .....new and more responsible thinking is coming ...the reality of climate change will soon be obvious even to backward folk such as yourself.

Are they still singing "Faith of our Fathers " in Croke Park...is the Bishop still tossing in the ball ?

Good call Parsnipp, clear forward thinking there.

We are now beginning to realise that we were being ‘gamed’ by State and semi-state and local authority workforces, in respect of productivity.

Get in there and you can lock up and sit back- job for life and you can be as big a bollox as you like with little chance of the sack.

Current system where everyone who gets the service pays a little is cheaper and more easy on the taxpayer.

What happens when the water meters start to go wrong - due to age - and have to be repaired?

Who's going to pay?

I would see the possessor of a closed mind as someone who cannot see the woods for the trees. In your case, someone who has still failed to grasp that the vast majority of the population want nothing to do with the political con job that was attempted on water charges.

In your case I`m not overly surprised at your failure.
    Your "even to backward folk like yourself" shows an attitude to democracy that is even more dated than your music collection.
    Those damn plebs like myself must be a constant irritation to those like yourself who deem themselves their betters.

I never thought the real push from water charges came from politicians.
    I always thought, and stated many times in the past that I believed the real push was from big moneyed, well connected "old friend" puppeteers in the not so hidden background.
    It actually became so obvious that even the Junior Minister in charge of establishing the quango, Fergus O`Dowd recognised it and said so publicly in Dáil Éireann. He also had a few choice words to say on the squandering of 200 million of taxpayers money by Irish Water.

I did mention to you about being delusional in a previous post.
    There is an old adage that dates back even further than your record collection. "It is better to keep quite and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
    Perhaps when posting it may be an idea to consider that adage in relation to delusional before doing so.

I remember a poster called Godge who didn't know the difference between a plebiscite and a referendum, strangely I feel he is still with us.

How so ?
    I know he had a habit of making pompous statements as if they were Supreme Court rulings, even once deleting a section of an ECJ ruling that showed how wrong he was.
    He would run and hide when he was shown to be incorrect/chancing his arm to only re-appear when he thought enough time had passed, but I`m pretty certain he disappeared completely off Boards.ie when the writing was on the wall that water charges were gone.

That feeling of yours is most likely just ghosts in Boards.ie ether.

I would see the possessor of a closed mind as someone who cannot see the woods for the trees. In your case, someone who has still failed to grasp that the vast majority of the population want nothing to do with the political con job that was attempted on water charges.

What is your definition of a political con job .?

In your case I`m not overly surprised at your failure.
    Your "even to backward folk like yourself" shows an attitude to democracy that is even more dated than your music collection.
    Those damn plebs like myself must be a constant irritation to those like yourself who deem themselves their betters.

What the fcuck do u know about my music collection ?

I never thought the real push from water charges came from politicians.
    I always thought, and stated many times in the past that I believed the real push was from big moneyed, well connected "old friend" puppeteers in the not so hidden background.
    It actually became so obvious that even the Junior Minister in charge of establishing the quango, Fergus O`Dowd recognised it and said so publicly in Dáil Éireann. He also had a few choice words to say on the squandering of 200 million of taxpayers money by Irish Water.

Seperate this from the question of whether charges for water use and disposal are reasonable.

I did mention to you about being delusional in a previous post.
    There is an old adage that dates back even further than your record collection. "It is better to keep quite and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
    Perhaps when posting it may be an idea to consider that adage in relation to delusional before doing so.

Less of the personal insults pal....

Less of the personal insults pal....

Why ?

Because you believe you are a member of some superior class that can bad mannerly address someone with "backward folk as yourself" without consequence.

Tip for you pal. If you ever consider addressing anyone like that in real-life, top up your health insurance cover beforehand.

Why ?

Because you believe you are a member of some superior class that can bad mannerly address someone with "backward folk as yourself" without consequence.

Tip for you pal. If you ever consider addressing anyone like that in real-life, top up your health insurance cover beforehand.

Keep it civil bud if you will ....I tell it as it is ...either in this forum or in real life ...so you know where to put your advice .

Sayonara ...compadre ....este fin.

• Advertisement

Keep it civil bud if you will ....I tell it as it is ...either in this forum or in real life ...so you know where to put your advice .

Sayonara ...compadre ....este fin.

I have no idea how you treat people in real life.
    Your post here I referred to was neither civil or mannerly.

Advertisement