Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“The Book People” Clearance sale plus extra 35% off code

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

Thanks OP, All received and delivered, apart from 1 book.

Great find and original post, thanks again.

G L to all awaiting their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Darc19 wrote: »
    This is not a small mom and pop store. They were getting 5,000+ orders a day. The warehouse is simply a packing warehouse in North Wales. All admin is done from Surrey.

And due to coronavirus, the admin staff are working from home, so they don't have the access to the information that they normally would have.

People need to simply understand the restrictions companies have in the current situation.

All right then. Maybe not actually somebody on the ground in the warehouse in North Wales or anywhere else. But unless they're packing orders in an absolutely 100% random order, then somewhere must exist at least some sort of job order list to give at least some idea of which orders are likely to be reached soon, and which others are still way down the pecking order.

If you take the term 'a warehouse person' to mean somebody who has access to this list of what's going on in the warehouse, then yes, they could help all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Got mine except for one book. Excellent bargains thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Pita, got an email to say ONE of my books was on the way, via Parcel motel. Breaks my heart to pay €6 extra for a cook book that cost €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

All right then. Maybe not actually somebody on the ground in the warehouse in North Wales or anywhere else. But unless they're packing orders in an absolutely 100% random order, then somewhere must exist at least some sort of job order list to give at least some idea of which orders are likely to be reached soon, and which others are still way down the pecking order.

If you take the term 'a warehouse person' to mean somebody who has access to this list of what's going on in the warehouse, then yes, they could help all right.

Amazon don't pack in order.

As another poster said, the dearth of information is primarily down to admin staff working from home and not having the full access to systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Feels like the warehouse staff are working from home as well

As another poster said, the dearth of information is primarily down to admin staff working from home and not having the full access to systems.

Surely there has to be some sort of system in place as regards determining which orders are most likely to be reached in the next few days?

It doesn't necessarily have to go by order number, date order received, size of order, value of order, or anything else....it can go by any system at all of how they decide which ones are next for packing and shipping.

And then if "a warehouse person" (or whatever title you want to use) has knowledge of that system and where they are as regards using it to fulfil orders, then that "warehouse person" could give some indication as to how likely they are to reach any particular order anytime soon.

The only alternative would seem to be for them to pack and ship completely at random, so that somebody who ordered on the day they stopped taking orders has as much chance of being next as somebody who ordered eight weeks earlier. And based on what people are saying about when they ordered and when they received, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I understand that the admin staff who've been answering the queries don't have access to these details. But that's not what this is about. Don't forget this started by you saying you don't see what difference "a warehouse person" could make. I'm suggesting that "a warehouse person" (i.e. somebody who has access to the warehouse details) could very much indeed make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I made two orders, the first was a big order or random books which I got about 2/3 weeks ago. The second order was one book but 4 of them, I got that order a couple of weeks after placing the order. I assumed they had some way of knowing it was an easier one to get off their lists as it was made later but came weeks earlier.

Surely there has to be some sort of system in place as regards determining which orders are most likely to be reached in the next few days?

It doesn't necessarily have to go by order number, date order received, size of order, value of order, or anything else....it can go by any system at all of how they decide which ones are next for packing and shipping.

And then if "a warehouse person" (or whatever title you want to use) has knowledge of that system and where they are as regards using it to fulfil orders, then that "warehouse person" could give some indication as to how likely they are to reach any particular order anytime soon.

The only alternative would seem to be for them to pack and ship completely at random, so that somebody who ordered on the day they stopped taking orders has as much chance of being next as somebody who ordered eight weeks earlier. And based on what people are saying about when they ordered and when they received, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I understand that the admin staff who've been answering the queries don't have access to these details. But that's not what this is about. Don't forget this started by you saying you don't see what difference "a warehouse person" could make. I'm suggesting that "a warehouse person" (i.e. somebody who has access to the warehouse details) could very much indeed make a difference.

If the admin staff were in the office they'd most likely have this information.

When the op started the thread I went and checked out the company before ordering. I'd have a passing interest in that type of thing.

The warehouse is literally a picking warehouse in a low rent / low wage part of the uk and I would guess that there were local incentives which made it attractive.

All admin was done in surrey and I would doubt if there was anyone in the warehouse that would know the picking order of orders.

I'm still waiting for my order from March 3rd, but having a small knowledge of stock/order systems I've never been concerned about getting most/all of my order. (about 90 books and €150ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Darc19 wrote:
    If the admin staff were in the office they'd most likely have this information.

I would have thought that whatever system the admin staff had in the office would be the same they have at home assuming they are on laptops or logging in remotely

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    I would have thought that whatever system the admin staff had in the office would be the same they have at home assuming they are on laptops or logging in remotely

No way. Gdpr, security etc. And it's effectively winding down, so no investment would be made.

I would guess that they can see whether an order has shipped or not and details of the order and that's about it.

I'm basing this on what is allowed for home-based staff to see on the system where I work. They'd have far more access within the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

No way. Gdpr, security etc. And it's effectively winding down, so no investment would be made.

I did a lot of consultancy for a firm that handled receiverships, liquidations, examinerships etc after the last recession. There was no expense spared, they spent the money needed to get the job done. Also gdpr and security aren’t going to prevent them accessing internal systems.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, if you are still waiting months for your order i'd suggest going down the charge back route with your credit card provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidford

Ordered on 3rd March and just got an email now that it's been shipped.

Keep the faith lads

I would guess that they can see whether an order has shipped or not and details of the order and that's about it.

I'm basing this on what is allowed for home-based staff to see on the system where I work. They'd have far more access within the workplace.

Just because your company is like that doesn't mean that all others are like that too.

I work myself for a large institution that you've definitely heard of yourself. I have exactly the same access to files, records, systems, etc., when working from home as I would have in the office. So have all my colleagues on the team I'm part of. And this is not something new caused by pandemic either, as those who worked from home before this (including myself, one or two days a week) had the same sort of access then too.

Anyway, I reckon this particular discussion is growing increasingly pointless. As I said, it goes back to you doubting that talking to a warehouse person might make any difference. Seems clear that you took "warehouse person" to mean somebody on the floor doing the donkey work, while I interpreted it as meaning warehouse admin with access a sorting/packing/shipping list.

Let's leave it so, and just agree that we all hope that everybody gets their books soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Ordered 3rd March, still waiting. I'm gonna give it one more week. Then I think I'll look for chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DrFunkatron

Email received with tracking info for order made to an Irish address on March 3rd. No idea if the order is complete but something is coming at least! It's been an emotional rollercoaster 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mine arrived today, into work, which is closed.

Luckily one of our team heads in each day to make sure nothing has gone on fire and happened to be at the door as the delivery arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidford

Got the shipped email last night and the books arrived today. Everything I ordered is there so keep the faith lads they will arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Sidford wrote: »
    Got the shipped email last night and the books arrived today. Everything I ordered is there so keep the faith lads they will arrive

Was there an option to change the delivery address?

Still hopeful of getting mine. Ordered 3rd March...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 kathune

I ordered mine on 4th Mar and got it delivered to work which is now closed.
    I then Email them twice about changing the address which didn’t change or got a reply.

As soon as I received the dispatch notice, I tried to change the address with fastway. However, their phone number is not in use, online system send me the auto response but no one replied and the address is not changed.

Now it says “Your item has been delivered in accordance with our current pandemic delivery protocols.” on the website, but I have no idea which the package is..

Not sure what to do next...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

My Mr Men books arrived today.Ordered March 3rd...over and out.Keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I also got a dispatched email today from hermes (ordered to dpd parcel wizard )
    FINALLY !!!!
    I have no idea if everything I ordered is included as I haven’t received a email from the book people since I placed the original order !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

I think people planning a charge back now would be crazy. You've waited 2 and a half months. Only in the last week have the deliveries for board members really started to come through. Hold tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SorenLorensen

One box arrived yesterday, ordered 5th March. One book not in it but I'd been notified about that and it will be refunded. My Santa cookie jar not in the order but the dispatch note doesn't list it so hoping it will arrive either with my other order (3rd March) or separately (mentioned as possible on dispatch note).

Really happy with what I got - some things I'd ordered for others won't be leaving the house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Ordered 5th March.

Got an email to say they have been dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Ordered 10th March, got email yesterday saying order dispatched minus 1 item.
    When I click into the TrackPak link in email it seems order split into 2 and both say left the book people on the 5th of May.
    No further tracking though like arrived in Ireland or that.
    Should be on the way anyway.

For anyone who asked, they won't change the delivery address - mailed them myself in early April to ask if they could do this with my order (I'd put my work address, and wanted to change it to my home address). Got a reply about a month later, when I'd long given up hope on getting it changed anyway, to say they couldn't do it.

No sign yet of a despatch/tracking email myself, but am keeping the faith....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I ordered 3rd March, haven't heard a peep. Emailed a couple of weeks ago saying I would initiate a chargeback if I didn't hear anything. Didn't hear anything but going to leave it until June. It is both reassuring and worrying to see so many people here receiving their orders.
    Entire order was for my daughter, will be an amazing bargain if I do receive the books but just glad I never told her about it.

• Advertisement

Entire order was for my daughter, will be an amazing bargain if I do receive the books but just glad I never told her about it.

Am in much the same boat myself. Am glad the young lad doesn't actually know there's supposed to be a load of books coming for him, because he'd have me driven demented altogether by now if he kept asking "but when, Dad, when?" :D

Advertisement