Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭obi604

When the new restrictions come in in a few days, will gyms be closed?

obi604 wrote: »
    When the new restrictions come in in a few days, will gyms be closed?

The new restrictions are in.... Gyms & non essential retail will remain open unless there's a new announcement.

Augeo wrote: »
    The new restrictions are in.... Gyms & non essential retail will remain open unless there's a new announcement.

Ooops sorry. Losing track of what restrictions are in or not.

What’s the chances of them staying open?

obi604 wrote: »
    Ooops sorry. Losing track of what restrictions are in or not.

What’s the chances of them staying open?

As long as non essential retail stays open I reckon gyms will.
    My view on the recent rise in cases is that social gatherings in restaurants was the huge issue. Unfortunately we now have all those who frequented restaurants going wherever for Christmas so it'll be 3 weeks into January before things improve and how much worse cases get is hard to guess.
    I'm not sure non essential retail will survive if we see 2000 cases a day. Tony holohan is keen to lock it all up again as he keeps telling the government.

Personally, I've not gone near a restaurant but I feel comfortable enough in the gym but I do see less than perfect behavior in the gym.

I train in a huge flyefit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I haven't been in the cafe or restaurant since the start of covid19 outbreak. I feel more comfortable in the gym because it's a huge space and every body more or less are moving around all the time, comparing to restaurant where you're seated, so are the others, in relatively tiny space.
    I usually train in the mornings which means less crowds too. I see more or less the same people at that time in the gym, which makes it like my training bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

My gym are really dropping the ball. Everyone is suppose to pre book sessions to control numbers. But that’s not happening. I went yesterday when according to the system only 10 others were there. There was about 27.
    There are also people coming in 2’s plus to train together.
    It’s not the biggest of gyms, the floor size is decent but they have a large section just for floor work and stretching but most equipment is concentrated together.

I’ve been trying to book sessions when the numbers are low because it’s the only way to actually work out and keep distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Article on the Irish Times today about moving to full level 5. They would mean gyms are closed

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Article on the Irish Times today about moving to full level 5. They would mean gyms are closed

I'm going to enjoy the gym while I can, there is nothing but doom and gloom in any of the papers or news broadcast, until it is categorically stated they close I will ignore the news.
    When it comes down to it the home visits, restaurants and pubs have been the primary cause for this shiity situation we are now in, not the gyms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm going to enjoy the gym while I can, there is nothing but doom and gloom in any of the papers or news broadcast, until it is categorically stated they close I will ignore the news.
    When it comes down to it the home visits, restaurants and pubs have been the primary cause for this shiity situation we are now in, not the gyms

****ing ridiculous, don't bother vaccinating weekends or after 5pm but close the gyms. Couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

JeffKenna wrote: »
    ****ing ridiculous, don't bother vaccinating weekends or after 5pm but close the gyms. Couldn't make it up.

The problem we have is that all non gym goers have the image in their heads of people coughing and sneezing all over each other in Gyms. There's no way of winning that argument sadly, the closure is coming eventually and we'll have to suck it up once again.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    The problem we have is that all non gym goers have the image in their heads of people coughing and sneezing all over each other in Gyms. There's no way of winning that argument sadly, the closure is coming eventually and we'll have to suck it up once again.

Yeah you're right I'd say. To be fair the increased hygiene in the gyms is great and hopefully it'll stay post covid. Fellas on a bike for a half hour going full throttle and giving it a light rub with a towel before the next persons jumps on almost makes me sick now thinking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if I have it right, West Wood have indoor classes but no but no trainer present but using video instead, are other gyms doing something similar?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    if I have it right, West Wood have indoor classes but no but no trainer present but using video instead, are other gyms doing something similar?

I'm joined two gyms (as one has a pool) and both of those have cancelled all classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

No classes in my gym. I haven’t been there since September, might actually just cancel membership at this stage.

No classes in my gym. I haven’t been there since September, might actually just cancel membership at this stage.

Most gyms allow you to freeze. I've had mine at Flyefit frozen since a bit before the last lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Westwood has no on site classes. I go to the one in Clontarf and to be fair there are groups working out together and hanging out in the steam room and jacuzzi together, mostly youngfellas. They don't control numbers going into sauna etc either, I mean surely it could easily spread there?
    I really hope they don't close again I did enjoy jogging this year when they were gone but with the weather lately I'm not inclined to go running around in it, and going to the gym is one of the few reasons I have to leave the house these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

silverharp wrote: »

Mine doing the same. Les mills spin virtual still going on the hour every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Looked like retail, gyms and leisure centres are being considered for closure at cabinet tomorrow.

Yeah they seem to be flying a few kites regarding closing them, urgh

1546 new cases. Not looking good for gyms staying open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'd say it's a definite in terms of closure after tomorrow's cabinet meeting :(:(

If non essential retail survives so will gyms.
    Really depends how much will the government have to stick to the plan. The rise in cases isn't surprising and it'll be higher numbers next week. Leo has stated it'll be 2nd week of Jan before we see benefits of the restaurants closed.

why would they keep gyms open if we're going to see case numbers worse than ever probably in the next few days?
    I'm just back from Westwood Sandymount. Lots of groups talking to each other, right beside each other in the pools etc.
    I don't want them to close but they're really not enforcing anything. You shouldn't be allowed go to gyms with your mates.
    Tomorrow they'll be announced closed for sure. I just don't know why they even bothered letting them open up as this was always going to happen. Idiots.

....... for sure. I just don't know why they even bothered letting them open up as this was always going to happen. Idiots.

Sure why open anything so until we are all vaccinated. I enjoyed my December in the gym TBH, was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Augeo wrote: »
    If non essential retail survives so will gyms.
    Really depends how much will the government have to stick to the plan. The rise in cases isn't surprising and it'll be higher numbers next week. Leo has stated it'll be 2nd week of Jan before we see benefits of the restaurants closed.

I think school closures may even be on the cards tbh - non essential retail & gyms are a done deal I think. I personally agree that they should leave it till the 12th and see if the current restrictions will halt things and reassess then (and close everything if the growth rate hasn't eased) but don't see that being the approach of the politicians imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think school closures may even be on the cards tbh

Schools won't be closed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm sure you guys saw Harris say he felt full Phase 5 restrictions could be imminent yesterday. Not as clear a signal of intentions as it would have been if we just had a FG government, but I could see gym and retail closing for a fortnight or so alright. Although, anecdotally, seems like what just needs to happen is for people to stop doing the Christmas house visits and meet-ups that have been going on all month (Myself included).

Schools will be OK to reopen I think. Even the INTO aren't calling for outright school closures.. They're looking for a delay in opening from January 6 to January 11 at the earliest... To be honest, I could tolerate a delay till 11 January but I suspect like most working parents that would be about as far as I could go. I think the government are aware of this, and it's been reflected in their commitment to keeping the schools open. At the end of the day if you have a workforce who can't work, then there's no one generating the money that is keeping the healthcare system and pandemic unemployment payments going. The other element is that, frankly, kids need to be educated and we necessarily tolerate a larger amount of risk around that than in relation to other settings. If we absolutely had to do it then where I disagree with the INTO is that primary schools should be first. Primary kids have the lowest rate of transmission, AFAIK. Aware this isn't the forum for discussion of this, however, so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭HBC08

JeffKenna wrote: »

You could and you did.
    Vaccinations are happening after 5pm and 7 days a week.
    There's a lot of sh1tty things actually happening at the moment, save your outrage for them and not made up situations.

HBC08 wrote: »
    You could and you did.
    Vaccinations are happening after 5pm and 7 days a week.
    There's a lot of sh1tty things actually happening at the moment, save your outrage for them and not made up situations.

No one's making anything up. That's the schedule the Irish times ran with before Christmas until the backlash forced the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Gyms are on borrowed time, its easy to shut them down so they'll do so and quickly... in my opinion they should be shutting the schools also though, I still dont see the difference, surely all the staff would be ideally placed to catch the illness.

*off to the the gym for one of the last workouts.

Advertisement