Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,480 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Well, the new guidance is that they are "recommended in crowded workplaces, places of worship and in busy or crowded outdoor spaces where there is significant congregation".

However, if numbers are being managed in a gym, then they shouldn't fit into the new guidance

I should be ok so. Our gym is booking 90 minute time slots. I can't be dealing with mask wearing after wearing one at work all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, well the US is a really poor example of a country dealing with the virus. No email nor any notification so far but have booked in for sessions as my app is now active again. Indoor mask wearing hasn't actually changed and it's really spaces that already had that requirement in Level 3 - the new thing is outdoors.

Yes, but in this context, a greater adherence to masks in gyms is not a good argument against the U.S response to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I really hope my gym doesnt take the mask route, I have to wear one all day in work. So really dont fancy wearing to work out. However I will if its gym rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gyms have been open here for months now and wearing masks has been mandatory the entire time. It's really not that bad. There's leeway given to bring it under your nose but everyone just gets on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

jrosen wrote: »
    I really hope my gym doesnt take the mask route

I think masks should be worn in the common areas such as the reception area and (where possible) while getting changed.

I have noticed a lot of people speaking to the receptionist in my gym without a mask. It is not fair on the receptionist.

JTMan wrote: »
    I think masks should be worn in the common areas such as the reception area and (where possible) while getting changed.

I have noticed a lot of people speaking to the receptionist in my gym without a mask. It is not fair on the receptionist.

We had the changing rooms/showers closed off. It's a big warehouse style gym with all the roller shutter doors open, it may as well be outside it's so cold and breezy. One door in, one door out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Got to Westwood at 7am, car park was full and pretty busy, by the time I was leaving it was quiet though. Nothing much changed apart from some lockers removed. Was nice to be back. I cycled down but traffic is mental out there.

JTMan wrote: »

Agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was a queue to get into the gym at 6am this morning, and the two guys immediately ahead of me in the queue went straight to the two benches which I wanted to be on (one of them anyway), was a punch in the gut that one! :-D

They're asking everyone to wear masks when moving about the place now (weren't before) - don't have to when actually doing stuff, but entering/exiting and moving between stations, which is no bother to me - but I don't superset on different stations so don't have a potential annoyance there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

very quiet at lunchtime, bench press wasnt too bad, overhead press gone to shiite , back in the evening to finish off and see what else sucks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Was a queue to get into the gym at 6am this morning, and the two guys immediately ahead of me in the queue went straight to the two benches which I wanted to be on (one of them anyway), was a punch in the gut that one! :-D

They're asking everyone to wear masks when moving about the place now (weren't before) - don't have to when actually doing stuff, but entering/exiting and moving between stations, which is no bother to me - but I don't superset on different stations so don't have a potential annoyance there.

Seems like more of a risk to me taking off a mask and putting it on again after every station. We're told in the hospital to bin it every time. You're just asking to be infected doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Seems like more of a risk to me taking off a mask and putting it on again after every station. We're told in the hospital to bin it every time. You're just asking to be infected doing that.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me neither. We should be doing the same but most of the time to move the station takes like 10 seconds, and you're not washing your hands in between set :confused:

j@utis wrote: »
    Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me neither. We should be doing the same but most of the time to move the station takes like 10 seconds, and you're not washing your hands in between set :confused:

Exactly that, should be sanitizing your hands before and after each station for the mask on/off to work...or at not be dangerous. Personally I'd rather not wear one in the gym, I fiddle with it too much anyway and that's not a good thing touching all sorts of equipment in there, limited numbers and good spacing of equipment would be a better idea. Just going to my gym now for my first session in weeks, will scope it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It is really great to be back in the gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sheep2020

Not much point bining them if they let ye
    eat in canteen, drink water, have a coffee, a sandwich in the hospital

Mask should never come off for even a second onsite in a hospital, virus is airborne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Flyefit asking people to wear masks entering and leaving. Put it back on to go and ask for a bench but was within the rack all session so no other moving about.

Went back to my gym last night. Same procedure as before. Very limited numbers. 90min slots. No entry without wipes or towel. Sanitizer spray provided. Lots of space between stations.

Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

This might be a bit off topic but I am always amazed at how in the long run everyone seems to revert to the their baseline.

I will see the same 30-40 people at the gym fr the past 5 years and even with the lockdowns, closures etc., the people who were always in amazing shape, still find a way to get it done and return looking amazing. Very motivating to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

First session back at the gym this morning.
    Strength is still pretty much where it was but my conditioning has fallen away big time.
    I was gassed quick and nearly fit to puke at several stages during EMOM.

Still great to be back and it was quieter than pre lockdown; probably because schools, colleges are back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, the new guidance is that they are "recommended in crowded workplaces, places of worship and in busy or crowded outdoor spaces where there is significant congregation".

However, if numbers are being managed in a gym, then they shouldn't fit into the new guidance
    Exactly. No change at all in my gym. As you were with numbers and distancing and people really happy to be back!

Patsy167 wrote: »
    This might be a bit off topic but I am always amazed at how in the long run everyone seems to revert to the their baseline.

I will see the same 30-40 people at the gym fr the past 5 years and even with the lockdowns, closures etc., the people who were always in amazing shape, still find a way to get it done and return looking amazing. Very motivating to see

Only a handful or two of those in our gym, and 90% of them on PEDs. I couldn't care less for them. Normal people like me, busy working mums, dads etc, come back with few extra pounds and can lift feck all again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Only a handful or two of those in our gym, and 90% of them on PEDs. I couldn't care less for them. Normal people like me, busy working mums, dads etc, come back with few extra pounds and can lift feck all again :D

I don’t take PEDs, but thank you.

I’m joking of course

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I don’t take PEDs, but thank you.

I’m joking of course

You do take PEDs?

My arms are very very shaky.

The strength in the back and chest is still there but my arms are in absolute bits.

You do take PEDs?

You’ve seen my numbers Alf, what do you think

• Advertisement

You’ve seen my numbers Alf, what do you think

I think the wallpaper is throwing you off.

I think the wallpaper is throwing you off.

Haha, that, and the lack of PEDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Ahhhh lads I’m in bits, even sitting down hurts
    Hoping a run shakes it off but I’m not sure if I will manage it

I'm not sure what you and your partner get up to in your private life is any concern of this forum...

Was chatting briefly to the manager of my gym today and he said they are discussing the introduction of masks on the premises at all times. Currently only required to wear to and from he gym floor

Was chatting briefly to the manager of my gym today and he said they are discussing the introduction of masks on the premises at all times. Currently only required to wear to and from he gym floor

Not ideal but if it helps in any way to keep them open then so be it. Sign me up for Gym+Mask over a closed sign on the front door any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

BD in Cherrywood, no slots and no masks, but if they brought one or both in I would do so if it kept the place open. The pace is so huge though, at 06:15 there are only about 15 people in the place, you can miss them!

That'd be a very sad turn of things. I don't think it'd be possible to freeze my membership over the mask issue but if it was, I would. I have to wear mask all day at work and I'm totally sick of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Not ideal but if it helps in any way to keep them open then so be it. Sign me up for Gym+Mask over a closed sign on the front door any day.

Plus gives a perfectly valid excuse to avoid doing high rep squats! :D:D

That'd be a very sad turn of things. I don't think it'd be possible to freeze my membership over the mask issue but if it was, I would. I have to wear mask all day at work and I'm totally sick of it.

Same, 12 hour shifts wearing a mask straight into a 90 minute session of more mask wearing.

Plus gives a perfectly valid excuse to avoid doing high rep squats! :D:D

Why the fuk would anyone want to do high rep squats!!!!

Why the fuk would anyone want to do high rep squats!!!!

They might have nice wallpaper and want to spend longer looking at it

Westwood is fine but the sauna/steam room says Max 4 people and yesterday I looked in and there were at least 10 in the steam room.
    No masks anywhere either, I wear one as much as I can. It's mad hearing how other gyms have rules.
    Apart from that it seems ok.

Westwood is fine but the sauna/steam room says Max 4 people and yesterday I looked in and there were at least 10 in the steam room.
    No masks anywhere either, I wear one as much as I can. It's mad hearing how other gyms have rules.
    Apart from that it seems ok.

Delighted to hear some places have saunas and steam rooms back open. Had written off any possibility of these re-appearing until post-vaccine

Delighted to hear some places have saunas and steam rooms back open. Had written off any possibility of these re-appearing until post-vaccine

Yeah they were open last time too. The joys of shaving after a steam room, it just falls off your face.

Gross!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Went to the gym Tuesday and Wednesday. Got a swim in yesterday and this morning, never close again please!!

The old fellas shave in the sauna where I go, they come in with a little pot of water and not a single feck given

Should tell them it's worse for them to shave in there. The heat opens the pores and softens the beard so the shave isn't as clean and will dry your skin out more.

They will still likely give zero fúcks, mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The old fellas shave in the sauna where I go, they come in with a little pot of water and not a single feck given

never seen that, Ireland or somewhere else?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

These are Irish fellas in there 70’s
    I thought I was seeing things at first

Probably the same oulfellas that walk around the changing rooms with just a pair of flip flops on eating a banana

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I'm a member of a gym that has two facilities, one is nearer my workplace & the other is nearer home.

In both there are the same group of aul lads who seem to spend most of their time shaving in the sauna/steam room or just walking around the changing rooms bollock naked talking sh1te.

It must be quite common in gyms across Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I can honestly say this doesn't happen in the female changing rooms / areas at all! I feel like I am missing out on the drama :pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Can't just blame the oul lads for blow drying their balls in Ben Dunnes by all accounts though

• Advertisement

Looking like next week will be the last week gyms are open, I can't see them opening after Christmas at this rate. Sigh.

Advertisement