Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

Tested positive last night. Very tough night since. Hard to sleep with headache and blocked nose.

What are the guidelines now? The HSE website mentions 5 days of isolation since symptoms first appeared. Is this still the case? If I ring my GP will they provide a sick cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Setup a call with GP to checkin on your condition and you'd need the cert anyway.

This is latest HSE advice.

You can leave home after 5 days if:

• your symptoms have fully or mostly gone for the last 48 hours

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/if-you-have-covid-19/adults/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pounding headache and nose going from completely blocked to weeping willow status.

Tired and achy

Other than that, ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wife and son just tested positive - so the old tests still work (people keep telling me they don't with the new strains).

Both report really bad sore throats, coughs, tight chest, poor breathing, runny/blocked nose, headache and flu like aches and pains.

My, grown up, son just got the Ivermectin out - I'm not saying anything this time :-(

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ticklish cough, can’t see me getting any sleep with this constant cough, runny nose also

• Advertisement

Of course with wife and son getting it I got it. I had it once before and tbh it wasn't as bad this time but slightly different symptoms. Last time throat was very painful for about 10 days but that was the main symptom this time I have headache that feels like my heads been hit every time I cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Just got the updated booster, so fingers crossed I manage to continue to avoid it. Sounds rough enough!

Get well soon everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

Husband finally caught it - after 3 and half years avoiding it (including when I had it right at the start and didn't isolate for ages because I'd travelled but not to Italy so advice was I couldn't have had it, and both kids having it and him helping look after them). He reckons it feels like a really nasty head cold with the addition of night sweats and a thumping headache. He had just been planning to get the next booster.

I have a thumping headache and blocked nose but am testing negative. I've banished myself to the spare room just in case I coincidentally have a cold that kicked in at the same time as his covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Are antigen tests still accurate against new variants? Don't think I have ever tested positive on one so maybe it's just me. Yesterday, I had sore throat with feeling of razor blades and today, I have aches and pains and slight headache to add to it. Will try another test tomorrow maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes but with reduced sensitivity so maybe less likely to detect in early stages - but if you have full blown symptoms should pick it up.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/sars-cov-2-viral-mutations-impact-covid-19-tests

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

As I said above wife has tested positive recently. She tested again this week and is still showing positive. Tests are free ones I picked up in the UK over a year ago. Well outside their use by date but still seem to be working.

Husband's test went positive almost instantly. I'm still negative with almost identical symptoms (maybe not quite as severe) that kicked in within an hour or two of his. Same batch of tests. So who knows. Is there an accuracy issue or maybe I've just got a cold.

(I'm only concerned because we look after my elderly mother, and she minds our kids sometimes. With a cold, just I stay away for the first few days, if it's covid we'll be a lot more strict on who sees her and when)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Still having a lot of phlegm to caugh up, and fatigue. Working away but God there would be times I could sleep standing, 10 minutes later be grand again

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

2 days testing negative now .nose is blocked as are my sinus . Headaches and sore throat and small amount of sweats . Like a cold really but it happened around my family funeral and several family members have it now . Phlegm from my chest is not great . If it wasn’t for covid I’d sware it’s a winter chest infection .

So, I tested positive today, so they clearly are working well enough, if a little delayed with more minor symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ive gotten it 3 times. Very inconsistent symptoms.

1st time i was vaccinated, but didnt get any boosters since then.

1st time - Wife got it and i tested positive but was only a little tired.

2nd time - knocked me out and was off work for 5 days.

3rd time - almost didnt notice, just tested because i felt a bit weird and had some tests laying around.

Well, I just got it ... 7 days after booster vaccine.

Symptoms are very mild so far - just a headache and very tired.

1st time: Wild version at start of pandemic - really bad, was making plans to go to hospital, but it never got that bad.

2nd time: Just very bad sinus like symptoms, and that burning sensation in outer chest, burning sensation in legs etc but no cough

3rd time: Similar but a bit milder

4th time: Seems to be the same. It's just the sinuses, but seem to be getting that mild hot sensation in chest again too.

I've kept the vaccines up-to-date and had a recent booster, so I donno... seems like I just keep getting it anyway. I haven't been taking any big risks.

Worst aspect is I'm tired - I'm making little sense and keep falling asleep, yet I've loads of work to get on with remotely and I'm making tons of errors.

This seems to have turned into a really nasty head cold type thing now - just sneezing / spluttering / runny nose .. not nice but it's not exactly horrendously bad either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Tested positive and caught Covid early in the pandemic. Still experiencing long Covid brain fog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I had it a couple if weeks to a month ago. Apart from a mild headache,runny nose, a few odd pains here and there, a sore chest and cough it was not that bad. Have been worse. All good now :) .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Is this normal for COVID?

Started out as a “head cold” and I thought I was feeling way better yesterday and that was it but now I feel like my sinuses are burning, the inside of my mouth at the back is kinda like wrinkly, rough which is bizarre and I’ve a cough as well and a bit of chest tightness beginning.

Previous runs in with it, it just followed a pattern of getting a bit worse peaking and getting better. I didn’t have this getting better and then worse thing…

I’ll have to crack out the Neurofen again.

Well, it cleared and tested negative but still keep falling asleep and am going around in a bit or of a daze and feeling like a total dumbass.

I have what could only be described as like a mild ‘sensation’ across my chest, but it’s not bad more like a tickle or itch and I’m just falling asleep a lot and getting a bit stupid before I do - was calling someone the wrong name earlier and making some really bad typos in emails. Couldn’t seem to remember pins and passwords…

Also my legs feel kinda weak and have a sort of ‘electric’ feeling in them and I was a bit wobbly to one side.

I assume it’s just me getting over it though. The antigen tests came back totally clear, so at least it’s gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

Tested positive 9 days ago - still positive today first time to get it. Is there any advice on when to return to exercise. Headache and temp for a few days but not too back since - intermittent phglem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Once symptoms are gone you can go back to normal I wouldn't even bother testing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭yagan

I reckon I had it last weekend. Sore throat Friday that gave way to spluttering, sneezing and a nose drip that was constant for 24 hrs and then over a couple of days it cleared up. Lots of phlegm in the clearout. No headaches like I had with covid last year.

This dose seemed just contained to my sinus area, no cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

@riddles They don't advise pushing through . Just be guided by fatigue . Rest more in between excercise .

Covid is as much an inflammatory condition as respiratory .

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭AngeloArgue

I managed to dodge the covid bullet until a little over a month ago. I was feverish, fatigued, some breathing difficulty. But it felt manageable and symptoms started to ease. That was until 8 days after my initial positive test. I woke up with a deep ache in my lower back, a stinging/scalding sensation on the surface of the skin in the same site, but a numbness to the site with touch. I was very confused, I even wondered if I had falling down the stairs while sleep walking. Later that evening I became feverish and lethargic again and with other symptoms such as running nose of covid came back but multiplied.

It turned out that I had developed shingles during covid. I was prescribed anti-inflammatories, decongestants, and anti-virals. I became very lethargic. I was even experiencing shortness of breath while resting, but it never got to the stage were I couldn't breath and needed an ambulance (but the thought worried me). I found it very difficult to wash and even feed myself during that first week. The pain and shortness of breath eased over time. But it is, and continues to be, a gradual process. I am still feeling fatigued, shortness of breath on exertion, a dry cough and runny nose, and left with lingering pain from the shingles site with a condition called postherpetic neuralgia.

I remain positive. Things seem to be gradually improving with some days of set back, but overall heading in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Carlee Chilly Violist

I’ve never tested positive before or had symptoms that would correlate to Covid before. It’s decases din e I had influenza as I always get flu vax, also up to date with Covid booster as I have MS. All recent respiratory tract infections were bacterial and responded readily to antibiotics, so it’s an awfully long time since I’ve had this kind of thing.

Last night started shivering, bone pain, temp 102.4, ferocious headache, this seemed to be a little more than a cold.

I started feeling slightly ropey yesterday afternoon, but only as if I had a cold coming on, and it’s years even since I had one of those. I have a series of appointments this week so I got one of the leftover Covid tests from the medicines drawer, result in no doubt.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Carlee Chilly Violist

What I’m seeing here is a lot of Covid newbies, I’m sure the virus has changed its face, but overall doesn’t seem very serious. I’m slightly concerned re MS as that gets much worse during an inflammatory load, and I could end up being hardly able to move, as my disease is well into a progressive phase, and I’ve had an episode of weak respiratory muscles before, but without apparent active infection, although scans showed resolving lung lesions at the time.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

Advertisement