Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Water John wrote: »
    Go back and have a second read. Point is, you agree a cutting date and arrange with your contractor what day he'll pick up, BEFORE you knock the grass.
    This I do, no problem.

I'm delighted it works out for, still doesn't answer the question I asked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think, given the year that's in it, it would be good to ring the contractor to see before you mow if they can fit you in. Not just expect them to drop everything because you have mowed yours.
    If that's your take on it fair enough. But from reading the post on the other forum, it didn't seem that the particular customer expected everything to be dropped.

It may be courteous to ring ahead, Sure. But if that's considered ignorant,Some people are easily offended IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

If that's your take on it fair enough. But from reading the post on the other forum, it didn't seem that the particular customer expected everything to be dropped.

It may be courteous to ring ahead, Sure. But if that's considered ignorant,Some people are easily offended IMO.

I'd consider it rude tbh

my father used to alot of bale silage on hire, he'd always get a few every year that would mow and wanted him there the next day to bale and wrap

Those were the guys that added the stress to the job and the long hours to get to that person

No need for it what so ever, ring the contractor before hand is just basic manners imo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd consider it rude tbh

my father used to alot of bale silage on hire, he'd always get a few every year that would mow and wanted him there the next day to bale and wrap

Those were the guys that added the stress to the job and the long hours to get to that person

No need for it what so ever, ring the contractor before hand is just basic manners imo

Contractor I know was telling of a place he used to bale for the previous gen. Then the young lad takes over. Gets a call requesting he row in and bale his cut grass that afternoon. Man says I'm already booked but will be able to get to you in the morning. 'That's no use' says the lad, 'I'll get back to you'.
    Rings later and and says he'll take the morning. 'Sorry' says the contractor, 'the morning is gone now'

• Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'd consider it rude tbh

And then give out about the contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The latest this year is lads promising to pay contractors leaving the yard In order to get them to come.as if they are great men to be paying straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Use the same contractors with years here. Has to be leeway in a year like this tbh. Chopping and changing at the drop of a hat could see you let down faster

Mooooo wrote: »
    Use the same contractors with years here. Has to be leeway in a year like this tbh. Chopping and changing at the drop of a hat could see you let down faster

West cork seem to be farther behind the rest of the country this year.most contractors have only about 25/% of their acreage done

K.G. wrote: »
    The latest this year is lads promising to pay contractors leaving the yard In order to get them to come.as if they are great men to be paying straight away.

Even better here I pay by direct debit each month so he's sort of prepaid

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

Not sure if right place to post!
    How long after spraying rushes could you top them (so that the spray is effective if that makes sense)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

How is it ignorant? He's not holding a gun to the contractors head to lift it. If it doesn't suit him, he asks him to get someone else to lift it.
    I didn't realize the farmer needs to ask his contractors permission to mow

Tbh it is ,you need to work with not against contractors ,vast majority of farmers are on good terms and work well with there contractors because if the service they offer ,lads will always go on solo runs and do there own thing and expect a contractor to drop everything for there job ,that’s rude and there the lads constantly whinging and jumping from one contractor to other ,they’ll eventually be caught and with no one to blame I usually phone my contractor for baling Sunday Monday to let him know what I have that week and work a plan between us both ,never been let down .for main first cut I let him know early may an approx date /week I’ll be trying to cut ,again never an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Even better here I pay by direct debit each month so he's sort of prepaid

Same as here set amount end may June July august with balance when they want it usually November /December

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Water John wrote: »
    Contractor I know was telling of a place he used to bale for the previous gen. Then the young lad takes over. Gets a call requesting he row in and bale his cut grass that afternoon. Man says I'm already booked but will be able to get to you in the morning. 'That's no use' says the lad, 'I'll get back to you'.
    Rings later and and says he'll take the morning. 'Sorry' says the contractor, 'the morning is gone now'

I move a good few bales each summer. This year, a lad rang me and said he'd have bales to draw in on a Wednesday. This was the Saturday beforehand. I said grand, see you then.

On Monday then, got a call to say his bales were ready and to come over ASAP as the crows were around. I told him he'll have to wait till Tuesday night at the earliest. I was flat out at my own and then had 2 other lads to get to. Got roared at down the phone. Told him to calm down and I'd be there Tuesday evening. If he wanted to get someone else, go ahead.

10 mins later my father rang wondering why I wouldn't go to yer man. Told him I was busy and didn't have time. Then he gave out! So I told him I'd head on now and leave our own bales in the field. Didn't like that.

Tuesday yer man rang me and said not to come, he had someone else lined up. No bother. Passed his place yesterday morning and bales still in the field. Stubborn man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

The lads who'd give you a small bit of grub and you were good to pay last year would be prioritized by us.

Around here all the contractors would know who is bad to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭older by the day

West cork seem to be farther behind the rest of the country this year.most contractors have only about 25/% of their acreage done

And that's a fact lad. We only got a couple of weekends dry. I pay after each cut, but contractor can't come till the end of the week. Dirty old foggy rain from 12 tomorrow, the first cut will be handy to put the cows dry. I don't think paying fast is no guarantee of a good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

And that's a fact lad. We only got a couple of weekends dry. I pay after each cut, but contractor can't come till the end of the week. Dirty old foggy rain from 12 tomorrow, the first cut will be handy to put the cows dry. I don't think paying fast is no guarantee of a good service.

Isn't it gas the way lads ring up a month before and say they want to cut on a certain date and expecting that to put them ahead of everyone else. I've mine in the pit now and I've a fair mountain of stuff. Biggest crops they saw all year they said. Can't be that bad as it was all grazed and the butt was clean enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

My contractor used to say that to me as well, made me feel better anyway

Lios67 wrote: »
    My contractor used to say that to me as well, made me feel better anyway

Ah sure they know how to manage their customers alright. I had to buy 200 bales last year to make up for my small pit. No need this year. That's 5k saving at least.

straight wrote: »
    Ah sure they know how to manage their customers alright. I had to buy 200 bales last year to make up for my small pit. No need this year. That's 5k saving at least.

Not if it needs 5k of nuts to make cows milk
    2nd cut in 2 weeks here

Used to be proud to have the biggest crop of first cut silage around, it was a false economy tbh
    Still get same yield over 3 cuts and doesn't cost a whole pile more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

That's a given g2m but it's just a case of the washout this year in May has left first cut weeks late. Mine still isn't in, would normally put second cut on top of it which I will have space to do as acreage of first cut is down but thinking now I may bale whatever bit of second cut I make, sickening and all the thought of it is. At least then I can just keep that pit for when cows are dry.

• Advertisement

2nd cut in 2 weeks here

Used to be proud to have the biggest crop of first cut silage around, it was a false economy tbh

I don't milk off the pit. Use bales and grass for that when possible. I'll get the pit tested this year out of interest. Never tested before as its hard to get the quality sometimes around here.

Mine was grazed until near 20th April. No point leaving old steamy grass there to try to cut 6 week's later, that would be crap. Grazed bare. So the silage we cut was great stuff. 6 weeks after we fertilised it. We couldn't graze it until we did due to heavy ground. We did the same last year and cows milked very well off it . Lovely stuff. Contractor commented on the quality and quantity here too. I said it's due to my excellent grassland management skills.... edited to say well for those who can get the weather to do 3 cuts, the rest of us do the best we can with what we have

2nd cut in 2 weeks here

Put dates on your cuts and isthere grazing done on that ground. Thinking of moving to 3 cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Mine was grazed until near 20th April. No point leaving old steamy grass there to try to cut 6 week's later, that would be crap. Grazed bare. So the silage we cut was great stuff. 6 weeks after we fertilised it. We couldn't graze it until we did due to heavy ground. We did the same last year and cows milked very well off it . Lovely stuff. Contractor commented on the quality and quantity here too. I said it's due to my excellent grassland management skills.... edited to say well for those who can get the weather to do 3 cuts, the rest of us do the best we can with what we have

Genuinely don't think yee got a fraction of the rain we got down on the coast. Even up in North Cork they'd alot less rain than us.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Genuinely don't think yee got a fraction of the rain we got down on the coast. Even up in North Cork they'd alot less rain than us.

Yes that's my point. If we were to take 3 cuts when we only closed the silage ground on April 20th we'd be looking for good weather in October. 3 cuts are fine in some areas but belittling people who can't actually do 3 cuts due to their land type or where they farm bugs me

Yes that's my point. If we were to take 3 cuts when we only closed the silage ground on April 20th we'd be looking for good weather in October. 3 cuts are fine in some areas but belittling people who can't actually do 3 cuts due to their land type or where they farm bugs me

Didn't think I was criticising any one, just how I used to operate with heavy cuts of silage has changed

Didn't think I was criticising any one, just how I used to operate with heavy cuts of silage has changed

My point being not everyone can do 3 cuts....anyway just back from getting cattle out of the bog. First time in about 20 years they got in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

DukeCaboom wrote: »

That would depend, there'd be some difference between Michelstown and Rockchapel, ye've had a particularly bad run of it this year but by and large south Cork is not the worst part of the country to grow grass, to put out mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

You’re spot on, a great feeling of security when you have a big pit, I’ve been that soldier buying bales too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I don't milk off the pit. Use bales and grass for that when possible. I'll get the pit tested this year out of interest. Never tested before as its hard to get the quality sometimes around here.

When you say bales are you talking about paddocks that you take out?

Cut here on May 26th, small enough crop but I'm expecting the quality to be there

Advertisement