Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    Rang the silage contractor last week and he said 7 days. OK I said. Then it was 8 days, then it was 9 days and now its 10 days. Looks like I'll be cutting bulk in the pit this year. It was all grazed and a clean enough butt, but getting more seeded by the day. Thank god I've bought my own slurry gear because I couldn't face the same story off of the slurry man.

Would you not put a add up on donedeal advertising you need silage done and payment before their out the gap id have no loyalty to a lad like the above

• Registered Users Posts: 29,242 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Rang the silage contractor last week and he said 7 days. OK I said. Then it was 8 days, then it was 9 days and now its 10 days. Looks like I'll be cutting bulk in the pit this year. It was all grazed and a clean enough butt, but getting more seeded by the day. Thank god I've bought my own slurry gear because I couldn't face the same story off of the slurry man.

I think you closed yours the same time as me. I rang my contractor and he mowed it 5 days later. Done last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think you closed yours the same time as me. I rang my contractor and he mowed it 5 days later. Done last weekend

Feck him anyway. I'm too quiet and he knows it. Pit quality will be back and aftergrass will be late. Different contractor next year I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭green daries

Feck him anyway. I'm too quiet and he knows it. Pit quality will be back and aftergrass will be late. Different contractor next year I'd say.

Ya definitely I would avoid a row myself but if I think someone is taking the piss it's out the door and goodluck

What's the weather like where you are? Is he taking on customers before you? I always say to my contractor to pit me on the list.

• Advertisement

What's the weather like where you are? Is he taking on customers before you? I always say to my contractor to pit me on the list.

Weather is grand in fairness. I know the pressure these guys are under but I get the impression that guys are jumping the queue. Nobody likes being taken advantage of. I made it clear to him today that I wanted it done and I think he got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Weather is grand in fairness. I know the pressure these guys are under but I get the impression that guys are jumping the queue. Nobody likes being taken advantage of. I made it clear to him today that I wanted it done and I think he got the message.

I used to work for a silage contractor in the summers and it was often the lads that shouted the loudest and were ringing several times a day that were looked after first while the lads that kept quiet were put to the end of the list.

Was reading somewhere else of lads mowing their own silage and then ringing the contractor to come and pick it up not having ran it by them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was reading somewhere else of lads mowing their own silage and then ringing the contractor to come and pick it up not having ran it by them first.

Know cases like that but they were asking for trouble doing that. Some lads are Savage ignorant

Reggie. wrote: »
    Know cases like that but they were asking for trouble doing that. Some lads are Savage ignorant

Deserve to be left waiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

Round bales lads is your answer. Stagger the fertiliser and cut and bale over a couple of weeks. Have made over 400 good quality bales the last 3 weekends. Stress free and no pressure on contractor who brings them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Contractor can't get to me, a share of customers in the same boat but yday was the first dry day in awhile and at that was no drying. Going baking strong paddocks but pit will have to wait.
    Will have 200 surplus bales made including this, wouldn't even consider bales for main cuts, 5/ 600 is enough of the bastards without tripling that number!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My father was a hoor for that. He'd tell me go off and cut and when it's done he'd ring yer man to organise baling. His logic was there was no need to ring him if it wasn't ready for him. I think he thought all the baler lads are sitting by the phone waiting to be called.

A few years ago, this backfired. There was a 3 or 4 day dry spell and half the country was mowed. For love nor money he couldn't get someone in to bale. Grass was down 2 days before the lads arrived. 4 balers in to do 16 acres. Father was fierce relieved. On the way out the gate he asked how much he owed and gave him a cheque there and then. Didn't argue over price.

Ever since, yer man will come as soon as he can, and still gets paid going out the gate, even if he's in a few times in a week. Each time, he gets a cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Forestry here will start to be counted as a source of carbon over the coming years as the trees planted in the 90s start to be harvested because not enough additional planting was carried out since then.

Why would forestry be counted once harvested? I presume as long as the timber is not used for fires the carbon will not be remitted? Also If the timber was exported would it count? I’m referring to your previous comment in relation to oil carbon been taken in the country of use!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Sillycave wrote: »
    Why would forestry be counted once harvested? I presume as long as the timber is not used for fires the carbon will not be remitted? Also If the timber was exported would it count? I’m referring to your previous comment in relation to oil carbon been taken in the country of use!

The credits go for all the biomass while growing and a only a very small part of that actually ends up stored away for the long term. Within 5 years of harvest the bulk of it is returned to the atmosphere

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

My father was a hoor for that. He'd tell me go off and cut and when it's done he'd ring yer man to organise baling. His logic was there was no need to ring him if it wasn't ready for him. I think he thought all the baler lads are sitting by the phone waiting to be called.

A few years ago, this backfired. There was a 3 or 4 day dry spell and half the country was mowed. For love nor money he couldn't get someone in to bale. Grass was down 2 days before the lads arrived. 4 balers in to do 16 acres. Father was fierce relieved. On the way out the gate he asked how much he owed and gave him a cheque there and then. Didn't argue over price.

Ever since, yer man will come as soon as he can, and still gets paid going out the gate, even if he's in a few times in a week. Each time, he gets a cheque.

Slightly related: my father used to cut the headlands here before the contractor would pull in with the silage mower. No big margin left wasted and the contractor didn’t mind

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

The credits go for all the biomass while growing and a only a very small part of that actually ends up stored away for the long term. Within 5 years of harvest the bulk of it is returned to the atmosphere

Well the whole lot is a fair joke when bitcoin has a carbon footprint of 23 million tons. The primary producers are being taken for granted all over the world now for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Slightly related: my father used to cut the headlands here before the contractor would pull in with the silage mower. No big margin left wasted and the contractor didn’t mind

I'd say the contractor was actually delighted, headlands are the slowest part of cutting a field watching out for wire, posts and stones that have come off the ditch

Well the whole lot is a fair joke when bitcoin has a carbon footprint of 23 million tons. The primary producers are being taken for granted all over the world now for far too long.

Well the primary producer is going to get absolutely screwed unless they start making some sort of significant changes. Burying heads in the sand now is not the solution.

Well the primary producer is going to get absolutely screwed unless they start making some sort of significant changes. Burying heads in the sand now is not the solution.

If the cost of making these changes costs more then the financial benefits our simply dosent even break even and becomes a money pit how does it stack up, first world goverments thinking that primary producers are simply cannon fodder to be scaraficed to apease the woke middle classes will backfire spectacularly, the common held belief by the vast majority of the population that they will never go hungry is dumdfonding especially if you follow their widely held beliefs on climate change

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    If the cost of making these changes costs more then the financial benefits our simply dosent even break even and becomes a money pit how does it stack up, first world goverments thinking that primary producers are simply cannon fodder to be scaraficed to apease the woke middle classes will backfire spectacularly, the common held belief by the vast majority of the population that they will never go hungry is dumdfonding especially if you follow their widely held beliefs on climate change

Pretty much a 1930s style crash is the only thing that will stop the focus on climate change. But that comes with it's own problems, wasn't exactly a great time to be farming back then...

Pretty much a 1930s style crash is the only thing that will stop the focus on climate change. But that comes with it's own problems, wasn't exactly a great time to be farming back then...

Seems to be alot of nervousness around maize/wheat harvests in Brazil and America due to weather, if the worst case scenario occured and maize supplies get extremely tight, food prices and availability next year could put the cat among the pigeons

Seems to be alot of nervousness around maize/wheat harvests in Brazil and America due to weather, if the worst case scenario occured and maize supplies get extremely tight, food prices and availability next year could put the cat among the pigeons

See not too many lads going for maize as much around here this year. Pure costs of it

I think Russia is putting a 70% export tax on wheat if the world price goes over 200 dollars per ton. Other countries are throwing a few extra cent on the price and hoping that the farmers will plant a bit more. Sad thing is that it's the poor countries will go hungry first.

See not too many lads going for maize as much around here this year. Pure costs of it

Have 27 acres of it in myself, get on well with it here, it could be a lifesaver this year if i get a good crop with meal prices so high

Have 27 acres of it in myself, get on well with it here, it could be a lifesaver this year if i get a good crop with meal prices so high

Theres alot planted around but lads that got it last year aren't getting it again this year as in buying it in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If no corners cut when sowing ,a good site and under plastic it’s very cost comparable to top quality first cut ,I’ve been feeding it in conjunction with grass since cows calved and better all round buffer than even good bales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

How is it ignorant? He's not holding a gun to the contractors head to lift it. If it doesn't suit him, he asks him to get someone else to lift it.
    I didn't realize the farmer needs to ask his contractors permission to mow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

How is it ignorant? He's not holding a gun to the contractors head to lift it. If it doesn't suit him, he asks him to get someone else to lift it.

Go back and have a second read. Point is, you agree a cutting date and arrange with your contractor what day he'll pick up, BEFORE you knock the grass.
    This I do, no problem.

• Advertisement

I think, given the year that's in it, it would be good to ring the contractor to see before you mow if they can fit you in. Not just expect them to drop everything because you have mowed yours.

Advertisement