Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I started going to the cinema again last summer after a break of years (last film I saw in the cinema before that was 12 Years a Slave). I never went back at Christmas though as the dogs on the street could see that the reopening was rushed, that restrictions were being ignored en masse and the disease was spreading again. Obviously the odds of catching it were miniscule, but the pandemic exists because of millions of 1000 to 1 chances being taken.

The difference between then and now is like night and day though, and I will definitely go back when the cinemas reopen. Could be a few more like me who gave Christmas a skip.
    Hopefully now. With big films coming out in July people might then needs the big films to come out and not be pushed back. If it opens in June cinemas might not do great as nothing big out but least they can suss things out in the cinema for the wks before July. But I will definitely go in June. I need my cinema fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Hopefully now. With big films coming out in July people might then needs the big films to come out and not be pushed back. If it opens in June cinemas might not do great as nothing big out but least they can suss things out in the cinema for the wks before July. But I will definitely go in June. I need my cinema fix.

Ya, July has F9 and Black Widow which will be but draws. Them being able to reopen a bit earlier and show stuff like Quiet Place part 2 and Mortal Kombat will at least give them a while to get up to speed so hopefully for mid June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Could do like last year and rerun some classics in the absence of new films. I went to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the cinema last summer and there were more in the cinema for Return of the King than there were for Tenet a few weeks later.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, July has F9 and Black Widow which will be but draws. Them being able to reopen a bit earlier and show stuff like Quiet Place part 2 and Mortal Kombat will at least give them a while to get up to speed so hopefully for mid June.

Exactly ease people back in June then July more people will go then hopefully. More if they open late June people might be still nervous going back in July even with big films so be good to be open early July and let people hear how good cinemas are and safe etc. As they were back in December and before that when they were already opened then.

Could do like last year and rerun some classics in the absence of new films. I went to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the cinema last summer and there were more in the cinema for Return of the King than there were for Tenet a few weeks later.

That's what they will do for month of June I say anyhow. Will take more to August when they have more films coming out when they will be able to ease off doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

We all had Covid here & it was very nasty. I intend going as soon as it opens as hopefully we have good immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Knine wrote: »
    We all had Covid here & it was very nasty. I intend going as soon as it opens as hopefully we have good immunity
    I read something about advice that people who'd had covid may only need 1 shot of the vaccine, so I would take it from that that you're partially but not completely covered.

mikhail wrote: »
    I read something about advice that people who'd had covid may only need 1 shot of the vaccine, so I would take it from that that you're partially but not completely covered.

Yeah I saw that thanks. Hoping it is the case. I heard you get about 6 months protection after having Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

Classic films to me means anything prior to the modern blockbuster era of cinema pre 1968. Maybe its just me but I haven't been to cinema since late 2019 due to health issues and then covid19 happened.

I do hope they keep social distancing in cinemas though as I dislike been surrounded by too many people.

paulie1983 wrote: »
    Classic films to me means anything prior to the modern blockbuster era of cinema pre 1968. Maybe its just me but I haven't been to cinema since late 2019 due to health issues and then covid19 happened.

I do hope they keep social distancing in cinemas though as I dislike been surrounded by too many people.

For a time but they can't keep that going forever. They would go out of business after a while if they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So just heard it on the news there now that it will unfortunatly be June not May that cinema's and theatres will re open In.

I too also hope the cinema's keep the social distancing untill we have all had our vaccine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So just heard it on the news there now that it will unfortunatly be June not May that cinema's and theatres will re open In.

I too also hope the cinema's keep the social distancing untill we have all had our vaccine.

Yeah June the 6th I think. Yeah I say this year will have social distance in place hopefully 100% back to normal come next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭santana75

Looking forward to it. It literally feels like another lifetime since I was in a theatre. Is that date in June confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,872 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah June the 6th I think. Yeah I say this year will have social distance in place hopefully 100% back to normal come next year.
    I don't think the 6th of June thing is confirmed.
    It was up on government website but now taken down Zzz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pity because the cinemas were doing a great job before they were closed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Cinemas opened here today in England. Seeing Judas and the Black Messiah tonight, love me some Lakeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya. Haven't been to the cinema since Tenet last summer. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Cinemas opened here today in England. Seeing Judas and the Black Messiah tonight, love me some Lakeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya. Haven't been to the cinema since Tenet last summer. Can't wait.

You lucky son of a b....... gun.

Awe ok I will give you that. I was at the cinema over Christmas so not that long ago but still enough to miss them.
    Enjoy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'll be looking forward to the films, popcorn and coke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭santana75

Was talking to a friend yesterday who said he'd gotten an email from cineorld during the week saying that its dublin branch will be opened from next week on. I was dubious and asked him to check the mail again but today someone else told me they'd gotten the same message. Anybody else get that email?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It was probably just a blanket email sent by Cineworld in the UK since Dublin's the only site they have here.

They're not reopening here next week. Indeed, walked past it today and the building effectively looks abandoned. Maybe they'll reopen with other cinemas in 'June TBC', with emphasis on the 'TBC'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah I got the same mail too and figured it was exactly that - my heart did flutter momentarily all the same :(

Did I read it right that cinemas are allowed open on the 7th of June?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As per the leaks from Cabinet subcommittee... yes. No reason to doubt that’ll be the case. We’ll get confirmation tomorrow.

Bit frustrating for cinemas I’m sure to have been given that date weeks ago... only for it to be taken away again... only for it to be reinstated 10 days beforehand. Hope a few places had been planning for that date, but wouldn’t be surprised if we see some cinemas hold off for a few extra days to get ready.

That said, they have some blockbusters waiting in the wings this time unlike last summer, so I’m sure they’ll be keen to turn on the projectors ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard June 7th being mentioned on Prime Time a little while ago as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,872 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A quiet place part 2 in the cinema....yes please!

I am in Belfast 11th June I was thinking of going then but might be able to fit in a cinema visit before I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,071 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

From looking at the numbers in other countries, Cinemas have reason to be optimistic imo. As said already, there is loads of new content ready to show, which wasn't the case pre-christmas.

I personally can't wait to see Fast 9 in the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's official: cinemas re-open 7 June, albeit with a max capacity of 50 (now, is that 50 in the building, or 50 per screening - cos that's a BIG detail needing clarity)

https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1398278961415786496

Not a chance it means in the building... would be beyond farcical if so. Max 50 per screen has been the rule during previous reopenings (often less than that in practice when social distancing is applied) so seems to me just a return to the summer 2020 and Christmas regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

My local cinema has three screens seating 148, 85 and 52. Can't see max 50 in each screen more like 50 in the whole building.

• Advertisement

It all depends on capacity. A 52 seater screen will probably be down to 15 or so people once social distancing is in place (and dependent on group sizes too). Most cinemas leave several seats between groups plus every second row empty.

The Light House is a good example - during reopening they could fit roughly 50 people in the sprawling screen one, around 30-40 in the decent sized screen two, 20-30 in the modestly sized screen three, and then 10-15 in the small screen four.

Advertisement