Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

purdy1984 wrote: »
    My HC was 20.3 with my HI now 18.6

Our course has a slope of 128 off our white tees so my playing handicap is 21 so my index has gone down but because our course is high slope i will be playing it with an extra shot compared to previous system.

On Golf Ireland all our comps were down as off yellow tee when they were off white tee so i expect this handicap index to change, would i be correct?
    Yeah. Your handicap index should drop. How much by is dependant on the difference between the ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Came down to 9.3 overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

For those of you that are looking to work our your course handicap on the R&A site, make sure you choose the “Without Minus Par” option.

The CONGU unions have a different calculation than the rest of the world.

Scotland will be using the Course Handicap to 1-decimal point and not Rounded as the rest of GB&I, before playing handicaps are calculated.

So not really that unified after all

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

My congu h/c was 8.9.New WHS h/c comes out at 7.0 with a course h/c of 8.0..all very confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

14.6 to 16.3. It missing about 10 rounds, including all from October. Plus all the rounds are off the front tees, not where they should be, comp tees or back tees. So it's a total mess but I suspect it'll get fixed by the time lockdown is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    My congu h/c was 8.9.New WHS h/c comes out at 7.0 with a course h/c of 8.0..all very confusing

Are you being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

checked there and I've lost 2 shots on the white tee's and 1 on the blues, was playing off 4.7 which is my lowest ever so thats a big drop

For some reason all my 2019 scores are missing on golfnet so not sure if that had a bearing, will need to look at this more

blue note wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic?

What are you talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

What are you talking about

As in are you actually saying it's confusing or are you being sarcastic when you say it and you actually find straightforward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Came down from 16.4 to 15 since last night

blue note wrote: »
    As in are you actually saying it's confusing or are you being sarcastic when you say it and you actually find straightforward?

Very confusing.. How will inter club work. Eg home course h/c 8.9. You are drawn to play a club let's say in metro cup where 9 is lowest allowed in comp and your team manager sends you away to play and your h/c comes out on away course as 8.4 let's say.. Are you eligible to play such match. There was nothing wrong with what we had., lasted over a century and straight forward

Very confusing.. How will inter club work. Eg home course h/c 8.9. You are drawn to play a club let's say in metro cup where 9 is lowest allowed in comp and your team manager sends you away to play and your h/c comes out on away course as 8.4 let's say.. Are you eligible to play such match. There was nothing wrong with what we had., lasted over a century and straight forward
    It'll be based on handicap index, not course handicaps. And CONGU had lots of problems and was amended many times in that 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

I also think it will be confusing for most.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I understand it, there are three items to keep in mind:
    Handicap Index is not the golfer's actual playing handicap.
    Course Handicap Is calculated according to course/tees that is about to be played, but is also not the golfer's handicap for a given competition
    Playing Handicap is 95% of Course Handicap for a stableford/medal comp or 100% of Course Handicap for a match

If the computers are down, a lot of people are going to be stuck.

Any competition I sign into usually asks me to confirm my handicap. For away comps I often have to adjust what is presented on the screen.
    If all the systems across the country unify, and won't require user input, then fine there won't be a problem, but if a golfer is presented with a screen asking for his/her handicap, I can see potential for golfers entering home course handicap in place of handicap index.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Is there a PCC in your results? There were similar differences on mine before they added PCC data.

Yes, there’s a PCC number in beside some of the rounds alright.

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    I also think it will be confusing for most.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I understand it, there are three items to keep in mind:
    Handicap Index is not the golfer's actual playing handicap.
    Course Handicap Is calculated according to course/tees that is about to be played, but is also not the golfer's handicap for a given competition
    Playing Handicap is 95% of Course Handicap for a stableford/medal comp or 100% of Course Handicap for a match

If the computers are down, a lot of people are going to be stuck.

Any competition I sign into usually asks me to confirm my handicap. For away comps I often have to adjust what is presented on the screen.
    If all the systems across the country unify, and won't require user input, then fine there won't be a problem, but if a golfer is presented with a screen asking for his/her handicap, I can see potential for golfers entering home course handicap in place of handicap index.
    All clubs will have tables to look up your course handicap from your index. They were issued a few weeks ago with the course rating certificates. And the important one is the course handicap, that's what goes on your card. The playing handicap is an adjustment made when the scores are input. Pretty much the same as strokes received currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 T453

I have 2 scores from July not included in my New index from the 15 and 17 of July they are on my Golfnet Anybody know why

All clubs will have tables to look up your course handicap from your index. They were issued a few weeks ago with the course rating certificates. And the important one is the course handicap, that's what goes on your card. The playing handicap is an adjustment made when the scores are input. Pretty much the same as strokes received currently.

Player A with a course handicap of 9, goes out and shoots 18 net pars = 36pts
    Player B with a course handicap of 18, goes out and shoots 18 net pars = 35pts

so player A wins by 1 shot, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Am I right in thinking course rating doesn’t matter for your playing handicap calculation? With the way Golf Ireland are using WHS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

etxp wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking course rating doesn’t matter for your playing handicap calculation? With the way Golf Ireland are using WHS?

Yes, only slope in the calculation

• Advertisement

Player A with a course handicap of 9, goes out and shoots 18 net pars = 36pts
    Player B with a course handicap of 18, goes out and shoots 18 net pars = 35pts

so player A wins by 1 shot, is that right?
    By two by my calculations. You may have missed my point here. The only requirement for a properly completed scorecard is the course handicap. You can put in your strokes received if you want, but you won't be DQ if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

By two by my calculations. You may have missed my point here. The only requirement for a properly completed scorecard is the course handicap. You can put in your strokes received if you want, but you won't be DQ if you don't.

Playing handicap is 95% of course for singles golf yes?

In my example
    Player A, course hcp 9, records 36pts on his card
    Player B, course hcp 18, also records 36pts on his card

when both enter their scores in the computer
    Player A's playing hcp = 95% of 9 = 8.55 => 9
    Player B's playing hcp = 95% of 18 = 17.1 => 17

Player A's 36pts on his scorecard is recorded as 36pts for the competition
    Player B's 36pts on his scorecard is adjusted to 35pts for the competition

I am certainly missing the point of a playing handicap. It would appear to me that whichever handicap number is going to decide how many strokes I receive should be written down on the scorecard prior to starting the round.

Or is the point of it for the player to not record stableford points on his card at all, and just leave it up to the computer to work it out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Given that no October scores are included yet aren't all these handicaps incorrect until after 4pm tomorrow??

In my example
    Player A, course hcp 9, records 36pts on his card
    Player B, course hcp 18, also records 36pts on his card

when both enter their scores in the computer
    Player A's playing hcp = 95% of 9 = 8.55 => 9
    Player B's playing hcp = 95% of 18 = 17.1 => 17

Player A's 36pts on his scorecard is recorded as 36pts for the competition
    Player B's 36pts on his scorecard is adjusted to 35pts for the competition

I am certainly missing the point of a playing handicap. It would appear to me that whichever handicap number is going to decide how many strokes I receive should be written down on the scorecard prior to starting the round.

Or is the point of it for the player to not record stableford points on his card at all, and just leave it up to the computer to work it out ?
    You might want to read your post again. You said player B had 35 points :D

And the point was in response to a poster who was discussing what happens if the computer isn't available.

But thanks for the fun game. :)

Given that no October scores are included yet aren't all these handicaps incorrect until after 4pm tomorrow??
    Yep. Assuming you've scores for October.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 4 Putt

I have no 2020 scores on it bar one from September let alone October scores‚

And talking to a few other members, they also have no scores at all from this year on theirs too..

4 Putt wrote: »
    I have no 2020 scores on it bar one from September let alone October scores‚

And talking to a few other members, they also have no scores at all from this year on theirs too..
    First check if they're on GolfNet. If they are, they should come through on the next update. If not, your club will have to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 4 Putt

First check if they're on GolfNet. If they are, they should come through on the next update. If not, your club will have to sort it.

They are on it but I also have 6 unprocessed away scores too on golfnet.. Will they come through as well, as I think 3 if not 4 of them will be in my top 8 scores??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Sorry lads, I don't understand the 95% ye are on about. What's the point of it? Thanks

Advertisement