Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭PommieBast

When I walked by The Oval on Abbey Street today there were some workmen taking down something from the outside, so something is going on there..

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Lanigans Pub Eden Quay, announced it was closing in Facebook.

A lovely pub with lovely staff, hopefully it reopens.

Was always a friendly spot with a good pint. Sad to hear its gone.

Anyone know anything about status of Chaplins on Hawkins Street? passed it on luas the other day and looked like there was a planning notice beside the door of it. Be very sad to see it go, great memories of my early 20's drinking with my late uncle who was a skipper in Pearse St when he'd finish up for the evening and telling his war stories. Great pint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

Anyone know anything about status of Chaplins on Hawkins Street? passed it on luas the other day and looked like there was a planning notice beside the door of it. Be very sad to see it go, great memories of my early 20's drinking with my late uncle who was a skipper in Pearse St when he'd finish up for the evening and telling his war stories. Great pint too.

Big Tipp pub, great place after a match if Mulligans too busy

Jizique wrote: »
    Big Tipp pub, great place after a match if Mulligans too busy

Ya, it was a lovely spot, decent pint, friendly owner/manager, always had the hurling on, and was never so busy you couldn't find a seat. Bit of a hidden gem, and I'd be sad to hear it's gone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Permission was for pizza ovens out back, nothing sinister. Suspect it'll reopen as soon as anyone else can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

About 20 years ago I briefly worked in that abomination Hawkins House. The go-to spot was Mulligan's, but Chaplin's was a decent backup, had my going away drinks there. HH was a dreadful kip and I'd gladly pay money to press the button to dynamite the place.

It had the best views in Dublin - because it was the only place from which you couldn't see Hawkins House :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

Might be ok, went past today and didn’t see any notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

About 20 years ago I briefly worked in that abomination Hawkins House. The go-to spot was Mulligan's, but Chaplin's was a decent backup, had my going away drinks there. HH was a dreadful kip and I'd gladly pay money to press the button to dynamite the place.
    About 40 years ago, it was the Regal Inn, owned by Tony Weir who moved out to the burbs to run the Step Inn in Stepaside.

We had some great nights in the Regal, my first real pub pints were there, for £1 each. Happy days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

It had the best views in Dublin - because it was the only place from which you couldn't see Hawkins House :)

Off topic slightly. But HH is even more of an abomination when you think they knocked the Theatre Royal to build it. The Royal while showing its age a little was still a very impressive looking art deco building.

Another pub around that area that's gone is The Fleet. Had a few good nights in there. Though the clientele could be a rough and ready

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

ShyMets wrote: »
    Off topic slightly. But HH is even more of an abomination when you think they knocked the Theatre Royal to build it. The Royal while showing its age a little was still a very impressive looking art deco building.

The Theatre Royal can't have shown much age, it was only 27 years old when it closed in 1962.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    The Theatre Royal can't have shown much age, it was only 27 years old when it closed in 1962.

Showing its age is probably the wrong expression. But by many accounts it was beginning to look a bit unloved.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Unknownability

In that same general area, I was reading an article about the Pearl Bar on Fleet Street, seemed a very interesting place.

Can anyone pinpoint its exact former location for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In that same general area, I was reading an article about the Pearl Bar on Fleet Street, seemed a very interesting place.

Can anyone pinpoint its exact former location for me please?

Have you got the article?

Great video in the RTÉ archive:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0327/950474-pearl-bar-a-journalists-pub/

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/03/04/archives/a-pearl-of-taverns-in-dublin-is-doomed.html

http://www.archiseek.com/2014/1960s-pearl-bar-fleet-st-dublin/

Based on this it's that infill building:

549643.JPG

https://goo.gl/maps/fSMKjX9TML39zkfT8

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

About six doors closer to Westmoreland Street than Bowes. Was eaten up by the AIB which itself mostly became the Westin.

L1011 wrote: »
    About six doors closer to Westmoreland Street than Bowes. Was eaten up by the AIB which itself mostly became the Westin.

Do you know when the Pearl Bar was eaten up by AIB. I started drinking around there in the mid 90's and I have a recollection of the shell of the Pearl still being there. But I could be wrong

When the Westin was redeveloped in 1999/2000 was when it would have happened. I don't think the AIB ever ate it up before the hotel redevelopment and the the subsequent branch move to the corner of College St/Westmoreland St.

To think at one stage on that small section of Fleet St. Which is a little of the beaten track there were 3 pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

To think at one stage on that small section of Fleet St. Which is a little of the beaten track there were 3 pubs.

And a sneakily well placed bookies in between!

Four at one point - the corner of the Irish Times building was a pub too (in a previous building on that site); albeit it closed decades earlier.

Four at one point - the corner of the Irish Times building was a pub too (in a previous building on that site); albeit it closed decades earlier.

Thanks. If I remember right that's hairdressers now.

• Advertisement

And a sneakily well placed bookies in between!

And if the owner of Bowes had got his way he would have extended Bowes into. Thankfully he's plans were shot down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Planning has gone in for a hotel (cause what the feck else could it be?) on the site of Dublin's most wrecked but still standing pub - the Barley Mow on Francis Street.

I passed it today - standing no longer :(

549774.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Quinns, well the building, granted a reprieve by DCC for now.

https://www.thejournal.ie/quinns-pub-drumcondra-escapes-demolition-5406677-Apr2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Never knew it was owned by Sean Quinn.

Kip of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Collie D wrote: »

Kip of a place.

Must be the place he played domino’s with his mates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭PommieBast

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Quinns, well the building, granted a reprieve by DCC for now.

https://www.thejournal.ie/quinns-pub-drumcondra-escapes-demolition-5406677-Apr2021/
    Probably will take a walk by this evening. I thought some of the shop fronts had already been torn down..

There's valid planning on the shops site, it started and stopped again quite some time ago - pre COVID restrictions even.

Collie D wrote: »

Kip of a place.

Kip is right, but a kip with fond memories. Too much of a our city's built heritage is being torn down or left to rot. Delighted sense was seen here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Quill on Aran Quay looks to be sold also... Wonder if it will open as a pub.
    Had planning to be converted to a cafe + apartments and the licence is probably long lapsed (not been on the register since 2009) - but if Vallence & McGrath and The Dockers (soon) can return to service, who knows?
    Signs in the window indicating that The Quill will be a branch of the Copper + Straw coffee shop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Advertisement