Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

I was just wondering if the PS3 will play blu-ray discs from America? Different regions and all, so I was just wondering cos a friend of mine in Los Angeles wants to send me a few discs.

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if the PS3 will play blu-ray discs from America? Different regions and all, so I was just wondering cos a friend of mine in Los Angeles wants to send me a few discs.

Nope. While the games aren't region locked the Blu-ray movies still are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Karsini wrote: »
    Nope. While the games aren't region locked the Blu-ray movies still are.

ok, thanks. So if I got a PS3 game from there it will play no problem. Didn't know that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Suspiria79 wrote: »

Games are region free.
    Some blu ray films are too. Check here, http://regionfreemovies.com/region/free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Redisle wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the hard disk. The console wouldn't be booting to the dash if the hard disk was faulty. As far as I can tell the disc won't actually spin at all if the laser is faulty, going by what I read here "The laser does check for a disk before it spins. It seems to emit a short duration blue light (not laser, more like a flash light) and when there is a disk it then spins, if not, no spin."

Laser faults are very common on the ps3 unfortunately.

Edit: Just saw on another site that you should defo open up and check your console. I think Sony made the transition from the 400A to the 410ACA during the CECHG model run. Plenty of vidoes on youtube.

Thank God you edited that. I opened her up and low and behold, KEM-410ACA 1 is the lens. Gonna order it later. Thanks again for your help Redisle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lads.... HOLD ME!

My PS3 just died. Started a game of FIFA and it froze, then the red light started blinking then turned off and now it's having none of it.

I'm gutted. It's a launch 60GB model so I knew it was only a matter of time but I didn't want to trade the old girl in because I don't like the look of the Slim. Plus I'd miss backwards compatibility.

****! I'm not going to be able to play MGS3 again!

:(

Right, I need some advice. Is there realistically a way I can get the disc out? I don't mind paying for a new machine (well, I do, but....) but I object on principle to re-buying the disc which is inside my dead sexy black games machine.

Also is there any way of salvaging anything on the HDD? I'm presuming not but I'm just annoyed I've lost all my save games, my FIFA Pro, etc.

I'm just glad I got to 100% in Red Dead Redemption a couple of days ago.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Lads.... HOLD ME!

No way...:p
    Right, I need some advice. Is there realistically a way I can get the disc out? I don't mind paying for a new machine (well, I do, but....) but I object on principle to re-buying the disc which is inside my dead sexy black games machine.

This worked for me. Doesn't always work though.

Also is there any way of salvaging anything on the HDD? I'm presuming not but I'm just annoyed I've lost all my save games, my FIFA Pro, etc.

You could get it repaired, which might work. If it does, back up your HDD straight away.

I happen to have come into a small amount of cash last night (thanks to a wonderfully-timed first goalscorer bet) and I'm flying to the UK tomorrow by chance so if I pick up a relatively cheap Slim PS3 in England at the weekend and then get this one fixed would I be able to transfer any of the data from the old machine to the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

if I pick up a relatively cheap Slim PS3 in England at the weekend and then get this one fixed would I be able to transfer any of the data from the old machine to the new one?

There are a few ways to transfer stuff from 1 ps3 to another, i think the fastest is to use an ethernet cable and you should have gotten one with the ps3 so you don't need to buy a extra external hard drive to copy the stuff to first.

transferutility001.jpg

Transferring data
    Turn off both PS3™ systems, and then perform the following steps. If the transferred data is saved game data that is copy-prohibited or data that is copyright-protected, it will be moved to the destination PS3™ system and deleted from the source PS3™ system.

1.Using an Ethernet cable, make a direct connection between the two PS3™ systems.
    You can use either an Ethernet straight-through cable or an Ethernet crossover cable.

2.Connect the PS3™ systems to different video input connectors on the TV.
    For example, use the HDMI input connector and the video input connector on the TV.

3.Turn on the TV, and then turn on the PS3™ systems.
    Use the TV remote control to switch the video input to display the screen of the source PS3™ system.

4.On the source PS3™ system, select (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Data Transfer Utility].

5.Select [1. Transfer data from this system to the other PS3™ system.].

6.When the PS3™ system is on standby to begin the data transfer, use the TV remote control to switch the video input to display the screen of the destination PS3™ system.

7.On the destination PS3™ system, select (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Data Transfer Utility].

8.Select [2. Transfer data from the other PS3™ system to this system.]

Great. That looks easy enough.

A friend of mine sent me a link to a video of the hairdryer temporary fix. I'd be pretty happy to get it working for half an hour to just get everything off of the HDD, tbh. Has anyone had any success using that method?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭n32

When I go to start the ps3 the green light comes up but a few seconds later a red and yellow light flash at same time and then the red light stays on as if it is in standby. Any ideas?

I sourced my brother a new laser assembly for his PS3, he gave me the part number of his so I ordered the same part through my job. It worked, happy days. :)

Possibly the most stupid question in 19 pages but who cares? So here goes....

Are the power cords for an old-style PS3 interchangeable with a new Slim PS3? My new Slim's power cord is much shorter so I want to use the old one but am worried aboiut it being a slightly different power-output or something and then frying the new PS3.

I destroyed a Commodore 64 20+ years ago doing the exact same thing so I'm slightly paranoid....

Are the power cords for an old-style PS3 interchangeable with a new Slim PS3? My new Slim's power cord is much shorter so I want to use the old one but am worried aboiut it being a slightly different power-output or something and then frying the new PS3.

I destroyed a Commodore 64 20+ years ago doing the exact same thing so I'm slightly paranoid....

Both PS3s have a universal power supply so even and the cable is standard with a lot of electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Anyone know how to connect PS3 to an old Sony Wega LCD TV as there is no HDMI connection and connecting through Scart or Component cables does not work. I have tried (I think) everything and PS3 does not show up on AV1-AV5. It's for my own use as the kids have a Samsung Plasma and it works a treat on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Was the ps3 setup to use hdmi previously? If so u have to " reset" it to use scart/ component connection. This can be done by holding the power/on switch for 5-7 secs

Was the ps3 setup to use hdmi previously? If so u have to " reset" it to use scart/ component connection. This can be done by holding the power/on switch for 5-7 secs

It was using HDMI previously. I shall try your suggestion this evening do I reverse the procedure to reset to HDMI so I dont upset the kids enjoyment of mindnumbing button bashing. I fear for my life if they could not play on their TV. Thank you rampantglory for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Na too go back to hdmi just connect it to the hdmi tv and select the option fro
    The xmb menu...... U can also switch back to scart composite from there but u won't be able to see the result until the scart is plugged in... If u follow me

Ure welcome :)

Varik wrote: »
    Both PS3s have a universal power supply so even and the cable is standard with a lot of electronics.

The correct answer was 'no'. The leads aren't the same at all and my PS3 is now in a different country to its power supply.

Oh well, my fault for not checking!

The correct answer was 'no'. The leads aren't the same at all and my PS3 is now in a different country to its power supply.

Oh well, my fault for not checking!

I never said they were the same, i said that they had universal power supplies and that the cable used were standard.

They take a C7(slim) and a C13(fat) but it doesn't matter from what you get them from if it fits its right, what ever country your in will have a C7 for the local plug type.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, I didn't look to even check that they fitted. I just assumed that they would do, grabbed the fat's power lead because it was longer, packed it in with the PS3 slim and headed to Ireland! Entirely my stupid fault, obviously.

Yeah I know, I didn't look to even check that they fitted. I just assumed that they would do, grabbed the fat's power lead because it was longer, packed it in with the PS3 slim and headed to Ireland! Entirely my stupid fault, obviously.

Any electronics shop would have the right cable

Yeah I know. My UPC box uses the figure 8 lead too so until I can pick up a new one I can just keep swapping over.

Annoyingly I know that I've got a lead kicking around the flat somewhere as my old printer uses one of those leads. I can't find it anywhere though.

The xmb menu...... U can also switch back to scart composite from there but u won't be able to see the result until the scart is plugged in... If u follow me

I do indeed follow thee rampantglory and I shall live by your teachings if it works as indeed it should. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again.

Worked a treat rampantglory, I shall kill my fattest calf in your honour I shall then eat the fattest calf with other fattening products. Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

hi all.

turned on the ps3 60gb today selected grand turismo and the screen wen black,

it now does this everytime i turn it on no main screen just black .im gutted now .

is it knackered?

hi all.

turned on the ps3 60gb today selected grand turismo and the screen wen black,

it now does this everytime i turn it on no main screen just black .im gutted now .

is it knackered?

Did you check your connections?
    Is your output set to HDMI/not HDMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

no worries i had a look online .i fell victim to the hdmi black screen annoyance. simply fixed by turning off the tv and back on again :rolleyes:

let the gaming continue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I ordered a new bluray lens for my PS3. I tried to install it, but when i was taking the Bluray drive apart, i forgot to take out a disc i had in it. So the PS3 thinks there is a disc in it. I cant insert a disc since, as there is a little white bar down in the middle of the disc insert slot. Anyone any suggestions how i might get around this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Deedsie,

I believe you need to reset some of the the drive loading sliders, I have not had this problem before but this video seems to explain it well.

Advertisement