Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Does anyone know exactly what size philips screwdriver i need to change the Hard drive out. It's a launch model. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Its a size 1 just to remove the small blue bolt be carefull its very soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it's not a perfect fit don't do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

damagegt wrote: »
    Its a size 1 just to remove the small blue bolt be carefull its very soft.

There is no blue bolt in the launch models, only the slims.
    weiland79 wrote: »
    Does anyone know exactly what size philips screwdriver i need to change the Hard drive out. It's a launch model. Thanks.

Don't know exact size, but if you have a jewellers set, one of them will do.
    Be very careful...

F1ngers wrote: »

Be very careful...
    I dont a slim ,I have a fat 80gb and a fat 60gb and both have blue bolts.

• Advertisement

I dont a slim ,I have a fat 80gb and a fat 60gb and both have blue bolts.

Just checked mt phat there, you're right. Apologies, didn't remember it from when I changed my HDD.

My brother's got a fat PS3 with the laser issue. Any suggestions on getting it sorted? I've been told to stay away from eBay refurbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Where is the best value and most reliable place to buy a replacement lens?

Karsini wrote: »
    My brother's got a fat PS3 with the laser issue. Any suggestions on getting it sorted? I've been told to stay away from eBay refurbs.
    If your definate its a laser issue your best bet is to pick up a new drive.ull get them cheap enough and if your any way practical its easy to do.Just make sure If do try it that you reconnect all the cables properly.Iv bought parts for my systems on ebay and iv had no problems.

If your definate its a laser issue your best bet is to pick up a new drive.ull get them cheap enough and if your any way practical its easy to do.Just make sure If do try it that you reconnect all the cables properly.Iv bought parts for my systems on ebay and iv had no problems.

Thanks, I'm not sure myself if it's the laser but he says it is. I did disassemble a PS3 once before to clean out the fans so I wouldn't be uncomfortable doing this.

• Advertisement

wel lif you think its the laser and your confident you could always just buy a new laser and replace the broken laser in the drive.It would be cheaper.I personaly havent done this but I know it can be done.Maybe someone here would have more info if you were to try it.

What's the difference in price between replacing a laser and a drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

F1ngers wrote: »

Be very careful...

Actually i am a Jeweller so score one on that front!
    But are they really that small? I'll just bring home my kit tonight so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ok so your a jeweller so think the opposite of a diamond.....good got it so that's what they're made of, basically there not small just very very and easily ****ed up and very well tightened.

Deedsie wrote: »
    What's the difference in price between replacing a laser and a drive?
    As I said earlyer Iv never bought a laser but from prices iv seen a laser is about 30-40 euro which would be around half the price of a drive

As I said earlyer Iv never bought a laser but from prices iv seen a laser is about 30-40 euro which would be around half the price of a drive

Sorry for the repetitive questions, I know nothing about these things. Is there a specific symptom that can tell you if it's the laser or the blu ray drive that needs replacing?

Sorry for the repetitive questions, I know nothing about these things. Is there a specific symptom that can tell you if it's the laser or the blu ray drive that needs replacing?
    I have had to change both drives on my two systems and the only way i knew they needed changing was they didnt read games or blue-rays any more.I didnt know was it the laser or something else in the drive so I just bought new drives and sold the others on ebay an faulty.What exactly is the problem your having?

I have had to change both drives on my two systems and the only way i knew they needed changing was they didnt read games or blue-rays any more.I didnt know was it the laser or something else in the drive so I just bought new drives and sold the others on ebay an faulty.What exactly is the problem your having?

First of all, thanks for the help. The problem is, the ps3 recognises no discs, games or regular DVD,s. When you put a disc in, the icon on the top right does move, but it never gives an option to open the disc!

Would I be better off to buy a new drive to be sure the problem will be solved. Would be gutting to pay for a laser, replace it and then find out it was the drive all along?

First of all, thanks for the help. The problem is, the ps3 recognises no discs, games or regular DVD,s. When you put a disc in, the icon on the top right does move, but it never gives an option to open the disc!

Would I be better off to buy a new drive to be sure the problem will be solved. Would be gutting to pay for a laser, replace it and then find out it was the drive all along?
    No problem.Thats what i said to myself.I fix all sorts of electroics and if you cant pin point the problem then replace whole part.If you had two the same systems you could take out the bad laser and but itin the good system and see if it plays then but that could get messy if your not used to it.Make sure when your getting a drive that it matches your system.Theres a CECHE number (its tell your your model) beside the barcode on your system .Quoto your ceche number when buying the drive.

No problem.Thats what i said to myself.I fix all sorts of electroics and if you cant pin point the problem then replace whole part.If you had two the same systems you could take out the bad laser and but itin the good system and see if it plays then but that could get messy if your not used to it.Make sure when your getting a drive that it matches your system.Theres a CECHE number (its tell your your model) beside the barcode on your system .Quoto your ceche number when buying the drive.

I'll have to wait till I get home to check the CECHE number, so I'd be looking at €60-€80 to fix it? Do you mind me asking where you bought yours? How long ago did you change the drives? Are they still working ok? Is it hard to do? I have watch a video on YouTube of changing te laser, I presume changing te drive is easier again?

• Advertisement

I'll have to wait till I get home to check the CECHE number, so I'd be looking at €60-€80 to fix it? Do you mind me asking where you bought yours? How long ago did you change the drives? Are they still working ok? Is it hard to do? I have watch a video on YouTube of changing te laser, I presume changing te drive is easier again?
    I bought mine from ebay from a 100% positive electronics retailer around 80 will get you one.Both my systems are over 4 years old and drives were bought in the last 2 and are still working fine.Its not hard once you get the case off youll see the drive,ull find loads of help on youtube.Best of luck if you need any help give me a shout.

That's handy.

There is one standard sized philips screw that needs removing too, the blue one I forgot about.

Ok the code is CECHGO3. so how do I find out which Blu Ray drive I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

@Deedsie

Why are you posting both here and in a seperate thread about this? Might be easier to stick to the one place.

Anyway, the guide below suggests yours is a KES-400A
    http://www.ps3laser.com/category/guide/

There would be no problem replacing the laser assembly btw. You can buy the whole assembly on ebay no problem, might be best to get a unit with warranty to avoid early failure.

Btw, if you do get a whole new drive just keep in mind that you need to keep the controller board from the existing drive (circuit board attached to the underside of the drive). The controller boards are linked to the console and have to be kept with it. So you swap the controller board from the old drive to the new and reinstall.

Redisle wrote: »
    @Deedsie

Why are you posting both here and in a seperate thread about this? Might be easier to stick to the one place.

There would be no problem replacing the laser assembly btw. You can buy the whole assembly on ebay no problem, might be best to get a unit with warranty to avoid early failure.

Btw, if you do get a whole new drive just keep in mind that you need to keep the controller board from the existing drive (circuit board attached to the underside of the drive). The controller boards are linked to the console and have to be kept with it. So you swap the controller board from the old drive to the new and reinstall.

I think I would be able change the laser, I am just apprehensive about buying the laser when it may be the entire drive that's kaput! If there was a way to diagnose 100% what the problem actually is? Would it be advisable to open up the console and give the laser a clean before ordering a new one?

Hi again, when I go through your guide, all I can see is the Cechg01, can we assume the cechg01 and the (my model) have the same laser/blu ray drive requirements?

Not sure if this matters, but the disc when inserted, rolls in at a clockwise movement. Instead of a straight tray movement. Based on other posters from other sites, this can indicate 410 rather than 400????

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-hardware/697086-ps3-blu-ray-died-24.html

Post 693

Help!!!

Pretty sure they are numbered sequentially. So based on the data below yours is the 400A, G01,G02,G03..

40GB CECHG01 2 Nov-07 Kes/Kem-400A
    40GB CECHH01 2 Mar-08 Kem-410ACA

Don't know anything about the disc loading action, but Im pretty sure the above is correct. if you want to be certain you can open the console and take the case off the drive, and check if it has 1 laser diode or two.

Here
    is a KES-400A (One diode/lens) and Here is a KES-410ACA (two diodes/lenses).

I don't know anything about that ebayer but he has very good feedback, just linked those two because he offers a 1 year warranty on the laser, which is well worth having. Some have a tendency to die after a few months.

Pretty sure they are numbered sequentially. So based on the data below yours is the 400A, G01,G02,G03..

40GB CECHG01 2 Nov-07 Kes/Kem-400A
    40GB CECHH01 2 Mar-08 Kem-410ACA

Don't know anything about the disc loading action, but Im pretty sure the above is correct. if you want to be certain you can open the console and take the case off the drive, and check if it has 1 laser diode or two.

Here
    is a KES-400A (One diode/lens) and Here is a KES-410ACA (two diodes/lenses).

I don't know anything about that ebayer but he has very good feedback, just linked those two because he offers a 1 year warranty on the laser, which is well worth having. Some have a tendency to die after a few months.

Thanks for that Redisle, I emailed the seller with my query, if he doesn't know, I will open up the console to check.

Do you think, just changing the lens would be enough? The fact that, the machine makes no noise when a disc is entered has me convinced the problem is the hard drive.

It's nothing to do with the hard disk. The console wouldn't be booting to the dash if the hard disk was faulty. As far as I can tell the disc won't actually spin at all if the laser is faulty, going by what I read here "The laser does check for a disk before it spins. It seems to emit a short duration blue light (not laser, more like a flash light) and when there is a disk it then spins, if not, no spin."

Laser faults are very common on the ps3 unfortunately.

Edit: Just saw on another site that you should defo open up and check your console. I think Sony made the transition from the 400A to the 410ACA during the CECHG model run. Plenty of vidoes on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Right im on the verge of losing it at this stage i need help
    Basically i cant maintain a connect to the psn.Its all over the shop.
    If i set up using the easy connection i connect grand but with nat type 3.Can be grand for Cod but with Fifa 11 i disconnect every game without fail.My DNF is high.Then i changed the settings around to get nat type 1 see below.Btw when i disconenct from the Fifa games it appears to be only the E.A servers but not PSN itself
    Obtain IP address: Succeeded

Internet Connection: Succeeded

Playstation Network: Succeeded

UPnP: Not Available

NAT Type: Type 1

Connection Speed (Download*): Failed
    Connection Speed (Upload*): Failed

Now this works grand when i back out and sign in.However once i get into the black ops multi player menu it disconnects again and wont re connect. Its driving me up the wall how inconsistent it is. And its nothing to do with my connection strength or anything like that as i have a PC on one side of me that has no problems and until my recent ps3 purchase had a Xbox in the same spot as the PS3 is now with no problems.
    Any help on why im loosing my connection for no apparent reason would be great.

Advertisement