Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hatton123 wrote: »
    And the SNR and Attentuation are:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps): Downstream=160 Upstream=512

SN Margin (db): Downstream=4.00 Upstream=9.50

Line Attentuation (db): Downstream=34.00 Upstream=19.50

CRC Errors: Downstream=2651 Upstream=14

SNR 4 is terrible the line would be disconnecting all the time, the disconnections are probably is too fast for you to notice when the normal speed is that slow.

Try to use the internet while you can see the router and see what happening to the lights, it should show that the router is disconnecting and re-dialling every so often.

There is a lot of noise on your line, how far are you from the exchange are you, is there a town hall or some building near you that has eircom vans outside it a lot. There may be a fault in the house that's messing with it otherwise if your not that far.

Is there a connection in the house that looks like this, it's the mains in from eircom try removing the outer part and plug the modem in to where the arrow is pointing but it can be wire odd but mostly this will give a direct connection without anything in the house interfering with it. if it works better then it something in the wiring of the house that messed it up other wise you need eircom to fix it as it's on their side of the wire.
    phoneru.png
    I had an Eircom technician call out to me today, and he said that he couldn't pick up a signal, but the signal strength on my laptop is 100% and I can use the internet on my laptop, but its slow.

That 100% is the connection between the laptop and the router, it's not you overall connection to the internet.

This is not a PS3 problem when there is that noise on a line and it would be disconnecting all the time the ps3 just can't stay online long enough to make the connection, try asking on the Broadband forum you may get some more help than you can here.

Slick50 wrote: »
    That was very good of him, did he give any indication as to how he'll improve your broadband. Getting a third of a mb while paying for 8mb is beyond a joke. I would be cancelling my subscription if they couldn't improve the service they provide.
    everyone gets up to 8 but you pay for the download limit you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

I have my media sever working with my PS3 from PC. Shows up fine. All the folders are showing up but when I click on anything, nothing is there. No thumbnails show, either. I get a network error when trying to view anything. The error code is 80710092. I enabled all the sharing options, home and public networks. Nothing seems to be fixing the problem, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Try adding the files/folders to windows media player via wmp toolbar, that fixed all my problems

I was having recurring problems until I tried it that way. Now it works everytime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Varik wrote: »
    everyone gets up to 8 but you pay for the download limit you get.

That is the impression we are given, but it has to be "fit for purpose". If they can't give you a reasonable and reliable service, you are entitled to cancel your subscription. I would write to them and ask what they intend to do to provide this, and let them know that you intend to cancel if they can't. I would give them a time frame to do this in. If they said I couldn't, I would tell them to discontinue the service from that point and cancel the direct debit at my bank, and let them decide what they are going to do. I wouldn't listen to any bull about minimum notices to cancel, if they aren't providing what they sold me they can't insist I continue to pay for it.

Try adding the files/folders to windows media player via wmp toolbar, that fixed all my problems

I was having recurring problems until I tried it that way. Now it works everytime :)

I've noticed that my MAC address for the PC information link is different than the one for the PS3 MAC address. I think this might be a problem. Don't know how to get both the same.

• Advertisement

I'm not really sure what u mean!
    Ure pc and ps3 will have different MAC address's and u can't change them, they are a hardware identification number! Unlike an ip address which is changeable

Edit : Ur router/modem may also have a MAC Address

I'm not really sure what u mean!
    Ure pc and ps3 will have different MAC address's and u can't change them, they are a hardware identification number! Unlike an ip address which is changeable

Edit : Ur router/modem may also have a MAC Address

See, I read this on another forum, people seem to know what they're talking about and fixing problems for others.

"MAC address of PS3 should be same on PC .. if its is different then you are not connecting to PS3"

What can I say?? Ask in that forum!!
    Any piece of hardware that can connect to a network will have a unique MAC address that will be the same no matter where it's viewed from!
    If ure ps3 has a different MAC address when viewed from different places on the network then ure in serious trouble or maybe ur reading the MAC address of ur router/modem or of the pc or ur wifi phone , printer , media player , any other networked device that may have connected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Just fixed YLOD on a 60g fat It took me 5 hrs
    Sony wanted €170 for a refurbished model !!!
    I followed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU hopefully it will last.
    Yesterday 21:18

AHHHH !

Last night I just turned the machine on, registered the controller but did not check the disc drive.
    When I had the machine dismantled I took the blu ray drive apart to remove the disc that was stuck inside.
    Now it won't read any discs, it will accept, eject and spin the disc but it won't play.

Any ideas ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Have you made sure you have reconnected the ribbon properly?Did you dismantle the actual drive?There is no need to dismantle the drive, there is a way to eject disc even with the ylod.Search on google and ull find it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hatton123

Hey, thanks for your replies. I had the eircom technician out yesterday agisn and he gave me a new splitter but the problem seemed to be stemming from my Eircom Phonewatch. I then had somebody out to me today from Eircom Phonewatch and he has fixed the problem, but still having problems playing online.

I have just ran anohter internet connection test and I am getting the following results:

Obtain IP Address: Succeeded

Internet Connection: Succeeded

Playstation Network: Succeeded

UPnP: Available

NAT Type: Type 2

Connection Speed (Download)*: 4.4 Mbps

Connection Speed (Upload)*: 415.0 Kbps

I don't seem to have a problem playing Call of Duty: Black Ops online, but when I try to play Fifa 11 I am getting only a low connection quality and can't play. Anyone know how this can be fixed?

Thanks in advance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't seem to have a problem playing Call of Duty: Black Ops online, but when I try to play Fifa 11 I am getting only a low connection quality and can't play. Anyone know how this can be fixed?

Thanks in advance.:)

have you checked that fifa has any extra ports that are needed to be opened more so than other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hatton123

Don't mean to sound stupid, but how do I check if extra ports need to be opened?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

just fixed it,
    like you said must have been a loose connection
    Thanks

just fixed it,
    like you said must have been a loose connection
    Thanks
    No problem.I had the same problem when I fixed the ylod.First the blue ray drive didn't work and then the wireless both due to not reconnecting then properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Ive just switched back to eircom from vodafone and im having problems playing FIFA11 online.My connection has dropped from excellent to poor.I can connect to the PSN ok but when in the lobbies trying to connect for a game its not happening.WHY????

mickob16 wrote: »
    Ive just switched back to eircom from vodafone and im having problems playing FIFA11 online.My connection has dropped from excellent to poor.I can connect to the PSN ok but when in the lobbies trying to connect for a game its not happening.WHY????
    Have you opened/forwarded the ports used by the ps3 when you changed back?

Sorry but i havent a clue what opening ports is or how to do it!!

Sorry but i havent a clue what opening ports is or how to do it!!
    HHmmmm ok.Have a goolge at how to forward ports with eircom for ps3 and if you still cant get it let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

not sure if this is here but it works
    if your PS3 is stuck on the wavey lines this works superb only tried it today as it happened to my sons its just gone out of warranty bit this has done the job well now everybody is happy

http://blogallalong.com/2008/12/05/ps3-green-light-on-and-system-wont-start/#comment-51125
    hope this helps

• Advertisement

Thanks for that but my problem is that i can get online(ps3 working fine)but when i check my connection quality ive gone from excellent to poor

Thanks for that lads problem sorted.Just had to change settings on PS3 to NAT1.I have another problem though.When playing online and house phone rings i lose connection.At the moment i disconnect the phone to play.Ive talked to PSN support and my phone provider but both havent a clue whats wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I moved from the UK to Ireland a year or so back. My PS3 account predates the move so it's a UK account but my bank cards are now Irish and therefore can't be used with this account. Is there any way to change the details of my PSN account to Ireland? i know that I could create a new account but I don't really want to go down that route.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I moved from the UK to Ireland a year or so back. My PS3 account predates the move so it's a UK account but my bank cards are now Irish and therefore can't be used with this account. Is there any way to change the details of my PSN account to Ireland? i know that I could create a new account but I don't really want to go down that route.

You could email Sony support and explain your situation.

However if you create a new account, any dlc you buy can be used by all accounts on the system.

I have an EU, US, Japanese and Hong Kong accounts on my system, and whatever I buy gets played on my main account.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭samsx

Thanks for that lads problem sorted.Just had to change settings on PS3 to NAT1.I have another problem though.When playing online and house phone rings i lose connection.At the moment i disconnect the phone to play.Ive talked to PSN support and my phone provider but both havent a clue whats wrong

Souns somewhat familiar i think but could be way off. When you initially got your b/band and wirelss router you should have got an adaptor for your phone line (looks like a double adaptor for the phone) can't remember the name for it. has a short cable and adaptor at the end of it. This should be plugged into your connection on the wall where your b/band is coming in and then connect the full phone line cable to your router and phone through the adaptor. Should solve the issue of being disconnected when online. Hope this is correct and helps somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭samsx

need some help please. Have the old PS3 but got the YLOD and couldn't be arsed getting it fixed. Got the new slim PS3. In the old PS3 i have a lot of movies/tv shows/pictures and music. Is there any way of getting these off the hard drive? The old HDD is a different physical makeup to the new HDD in the slim so I can't just replace in the slot. Can I get a cable to connect the old HDD to my new PS3 through USB or any other method or else to my home PC??Also does anyone know when a DVD rental service will become available on the PS3 XMB in Ireland. I know the GB region can get this option but just wondering if anyone has any knowlege of a similar service for us poor Irish mugs?? Have one on the XBOX so I presume Sony will follw suit for Ireland also.thanks in advance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

samsx wrote: »
    need some help please. Have the old PS3 but got the YLOD and couldn't be arsed getting it fixed. Got the new slim PS3. In the old PS3 i have a lot of movies/tv shows/pictures and music. Is there any way of getting these off the hard drive? The old HDD is a different physical makeup to the new HDD in the slim so I can't just replace in the slot. Can I get a cable to connect the old HDD to my new PS3 through USB or any other method or else to my home PC??

I'm not certain, but if you get a HDD caddy you may be able to transfer your files over.
    Even if you could put your HDD with all your files into your slim, first thing it does is a format...
    samsx wrote: »
    Also does anyone know when a DVD rental service will become available on the PS3 XMB in Ireland. I know the GB region can get this option but just wondering if anyone has any knowlege of a similar service for us poor Irish mugs?? Have one on the XBOX so I presume Sony will follw suit for Ireland also.thanks in advance

There is MUBI, :o, has ~500 or so movies. Some are pretty decent. You can rent individual films or subscribe monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

F1ngers wrote: »
    There is MUBI, :o, has ~500 or so movies. Some are pretty decent. You can rent individual films or subscribe monthly.
    Does anyone know if "Love Film" delivers here? Because there is an XMB app on the Uk accounts. You could look into that. See if people have been successful signing into love film on a UK PSN account. I have no idea if it would work, but would be interested to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

F1ngers wrote: »
    You could email Sony support and explain your situation.

However if you create a new account, any dlc you buy can be used by all accounts on the system.

I have an EU, US, Japanese and Hong Kong accounts on my system, and whatever I buy gets played on my main account.

Really? Fantastic. I'll do that then. I assumed that any DLC I bought would be linked to the one account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Is it possible to make the PS3 DVD player region free? I've done the goolging thing and a load of other forums have a multiple discussions but the advice seems to be to rip & burn said disc which is a rubbish solution.

Any way to make a Euro PS3 play DVDs from regions other than Region2?

Advertisement