Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It's inserting and ejecting discs again thanks to that video. Still not reading discs with the new laser installed, it's a KES 410 A laser. It says on my blu ray drive, KEM 410 ACA laser. Is there any difference in these two lens lasers?

Hope I didn't damage the new laser, anyway of knowing if I did? Anyone know of a shop I could bring it too, for a pro to take a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Id check the two ribbon cables inside the drive and make sure they are tightly secured, also make sure you connect the external ribbon correctly. Make sure you don't touch the laser diode itself, as they are quite ESD sensitive. Are the discs spinning up at all when you put them in?

As far as I know the KEM-410ACA refers to the laser diode module and the surrounding assembly (the ones I linked to before). KEM-410A refers just to the laser diode module itself. Both contain the KEM-410A laser(s).

I don't know of any way to test the laser diodes, best to just try reseat the cables again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

So the ps3 gave thew ylod and i did the hair dryer fix and it worked,then today it just tuned itself off,No it comes on for a few mins then shuts down.What usually the problem here and is it worth getting fixed.

Redisle wrote: »
    Id check the two ribbon cables inside the drive and make sure they are tightly secured, also make sure you connect the external ribbon correctly. Make sure you don't touch the laser diode itself, as they are quite ESD sensitive. Are the discs spinning up at all when you put them in?

As far as I know the KEM-410ACA refers to the laser diode module and the surrounding assembly (the ones I linked to before). KEM-410A refers just to the laser diode module itself. Both contain the KEM-410A laser(s).

I don't know of any way to test the laser diodes, best to just try reseat the cables again.

I definitely didnt touch the laser diode. I was clinically careful about that.

Yes the discs are spinning. Its definitely trying to play the disc.

Dunno what to do now, they may have sent me a faulty laser, but to be fair their rating is top notch. I emailed them about my problems last week. Still waiting on a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

As far as I know the discs only spin after the laser checks for it's presence.. When you put in a disc are you still getting that spinning circle on the screen?

Id just check all the ribbons, and make sure the case is on correctly. The fact that the disc is spinning suggests that something is working.

Also, try different disc types. IE, try a blu ray then try a dvd. As these use seperate lasers it's a good way to troubleshoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

ok so last night playing away ,then my ps3 shuts down its the fat 60 gb.
    tried to turn it back on and it starts for 2 seconds and then shuts off again.i the controllers dont turn it on they just flash .i tried to hold down the start button but nothing happens how long do you need to hold that down to get the options help menu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

ok so last night playing away ,then my ps3 shuts down its the fat 60 gb.
    tried to turn it back on and it starts for 2 seconds and then shuts off again.i the controllers dont turn it on they just flash .i tried to hold down the start button but nothing happens how long do you need to hold that down to get the options help menu

Any flashing lights on the front of the machine?

yes the red light flashes,and im sure i saw it go orange for a second.

when i press the power button it just stays red in standby mode then

Then I'm afraid that your PS3 is dead. Mine went the same way. There's ways of fixing it if you've got patience, some small screwdrivers and a heatgun (check Youtube or read online for various instructions). My sister's boyfriend fixed mine this week but I've gone and bought a 320GB Slim anyway as I doubt it's a longterm fix.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056121711

:(:mad::(:mad::(:(:mad: nooooooooo say it aint so ,im so far into gt5 and no back up .my days just ruined

• Advertisement

Sorry buddy. As I said, I was there two weeks ago.

As I said, it's possible to fix it yourself or look online for some shops near you who will fix these things. Sony will take it from you for €120 but I'm pretty sure that they usually replace it with a refurbished machine so you'd lose your data.

If you're desperate for the GT5 data then you'll need to get it fixed and then back-up.

found a place in tallaght ,that say they can fix this ahd alot of other problems ,might be of some help to other people with problems .

http://www.consolerepaircentre.ie/playstation.html

im told 80 euro to fix this problem from theese guys .sounds better than 120 from sony and geting a refurbished heap o crap

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

I was wondering if anyone else has been continually signed out of PSN as of late? I have the old 60gb model and never had problems with it before. I've always used the wireless connection (I know people say it's problematic but I've never had issues with connectivity, lag etc.) because the modem is too far away for wired. All the settings are correct, I have it set up for a static IP, UPnP is enabled and all that. But for a while now when I sign into PSN it can take anything up to 5 minutes to load my friendlist, the PS Store is extremely slow to browse (however download speed is still very fast), and usually after about 10 minutes or so I will be signed out. Attempting to sign back in is usually 50/50 between success and timing out.

I'm with eircom for broadband and a few months ago went from the grey netopia modem to the black zyxel one. I've noticed a few issues with this modem I didn't have with the old one. For example when DSL connection is lost, any device connected wirelessly is disconnected from the modem (previously you could still visit the modem's maintenance page). With the old modem I had lots of ports open due to the infamous NAT 3 issues but I have none open on the new one because UPnP with this modem works so I always have NAT 2.

Anyone else having this problem? Ideas would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

PS3 slim, connected to a new Full HD TV through HDMI but it won't show up at 1080p and the TV says "out of range". The cable works at 1080p with the xbox and all the HDMI ports on the TV are fine. Any suggestions how I might get it to 1080p instead of 720p?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

amacachi wrote: »
    PS3 slim, connected to a new Full HD TV through HDMI but it won't show up at 1080p and the TV says "out of range". The cable works at 1080p with the xbox and all the HDMI ports on the TV are fine. Any suggestions how I might get it to 1080p instead of 720p?

have you tried another HDMI cable.

Varik wrote: »
    have you tried another HDMI cable.

I have two and both work perfectly with the 360, didn't have to fcuk around with settings so they're both fine, as are the HDMI ports on the TV.

EDIT: It'll do 720p or 1080i but not 1080p.

I have two and both work perfectly with the 360, didn't have to fcuk around with settings so they're both fine, as are the HDMI ports on the TV.

EDIT: It'll do 720p or 1080i but not 1080p.

Do they happen to be those large fat black no brand cables, i used to have some low end cables and got problems with the ps3.

Can you give the model of tv and some information on the cables.

Varik wrote: »
    Do they happen to be those large fat black no brand cables, i used to have some low end cables and got problems with the ps3.

Can you give the model of tv and some information on the cables.

Yeah they're "Manhatten" or something like that. The TV is a Sony KDL32BX400U. The cables may be off-brand but they work with everything else, though I should've known the PS3 would find some problem with something.

Yeah they're "Manhatten" or something like that. The TV is a Sony KDL32BX400U. The cables may be off-brand but they work with everything else, though I should've known the PS3 would find some problem with something.

The PS3 throws a lot of uncompressed sound among other thing down it, i had a purple line showing up on 1 cable that worked fine with the 360.

While it's all digital you should try a better cable but there is no reason to spend over 20, anything between 10-20 would be good with out being a waste of money.

• Advertisement

It was 8.99. Thing is it's got a higher rating than a Monster cable a mate is using that he got about 3 years ago and his works fine.
    Fcuk it, 720p/1080i will do for now, sure the games only run at that anyway. :pac:

It was 8.99. Thing is it's got a higher rating than a Monster cable a mate is using that he got about 3 years ago and his works fine.
    Fcuk it, 720p/1080i will do for now, sure the games only run at that anyway. :pac:

i'm not saying that a €9.99 or less will be terrible but see if you can get a lend of another one for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Hi all, my fat PS3 60g suffered the YLOD 2 days ago,so i replaced her with a Slim.I was wonder if it be still possible to transfer (by LAN) the data from the Fat to the Slim even if the Fat has the YLOD? Thanks in advance

It's not possible. If you need the data then you'll need to either pay the cash to get it fixed or fix it yourself and then do a data transfer to the new one.

Sorry, a lot of us have been in the same boat.

Yeah thanks, think i'll give Sony a call and get the Fat fix and keep her as a spare.

Anyone know the contact number for Sony? I can't seem to find it in PSN. Thank you

I just installed a brand new laser, I did it extremely carefully. It has to be something else thats the problem. Alignment or cabling. I don't know what to try next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

I have a question,

I'm having a problem transferring a game save from the web on a usb to my ps3?

Thanks,
    Mal

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    I have a question,

I'm having a problem transferring a game save from the web on a usb to my ps3?

Thanks,
    Mal

Not all PS3 Game Saves can be shared. Some are "locked" to the game console that first created it and in either case trophies and some online feature won't work.

What game are you having trouble with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rozzz3

I put in a game into my ps3, goes in half way, blue light flashed twice, then goes in another 1/4 way(so thats 3/4 way) then the ble light flashes once more then it gets stuck, i got quoted €140 by cork compter clinic(buts it was on the phone) i think my blu-ray drive is just stuck?

Anyone any ideas? Do i need a new drive or...?

Can anyone in cork help me? Im in blackrock:cool:

Thanks guys

~Ross

Advertisement