Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is it not?
    Here today was a little windy, but nothing compared to last night.

Depends where you are! Wide variation … Same as you here until a sudden loud squall a few minutes ago. Wait and see time..Quiet again now..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

The latest orange wind warning that includes Kerry starts at 6 am tomorrow until 8 pm tomorrow night.
    I read the warning earlier honestly could have sworn it said tonight ! Must have read it wrong! Makes sense now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Graces7 wrote: »
    Had that been before the
    election? Not a chance now ;)

Are the chucks ok?

Chuck's are fine. He'll just phone junior to have it fixed. He needs to be able to claim his expenses in Dublin,!

Bucketing down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Amazes me how the usual suspects can’t resist with the “very windy , house shaking “ type comments in the technical thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

Daz_ wrote: »
    Amazes me how the usual suspects can’t resist with the “very windy , house shaking “ type comments in the technical thread .

I would suggest that in future the 'Level X Weather Warning' banner should go on the chat thread, then that would be where these type of comments will gravitate to. Anyone in the technical thread will already know all about the warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Daz_ wrote: »

I think that it didn't help that the existing chat thread became the technical one. It might of been better to start a new technical thread. Plus the last storm only had one combined thread.

Also people think that such comments are observations.

Discodog wrote: »
    I think that it didn't help that the existing chat thread became the technical one. It might of been better to start a new technical thread. Plus the last storm only had one combined thread.

Also people think that such comments are observations.

They are observations.

If the thread needs to be refined, the term 'technical' needs to be properly defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

Just sitting here in the quiet of a blackout..a big clap of thunder and lightening and 'out' went the lights..the quiet of 'off grid' is sublime..have a few candles on the go..so peaceful apart from the battering rain..from the sticks of south Kilkenny..

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

They are observations.

If the thread needs to be refined, the term 'techinal' nerds to be properly defined.

As long as people don’t understand simple terms such as “technical discussion “ this will continue .

I don’t think the thread title says “observations “ take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Thread titles should be very simple, leaving out the date and other stuff that takes up valuable space and dilutes the message.

Storm Ciara TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY

Storm Ciara GENERAL CHAT ONLY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Try not to set fire to your house with candles.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

greasepalm wrote: »
    Try not to set fire to your house with candles.

Thanks for reminder!

Technical only threads will never work. Every page has a bit of banter. You're not robots, lads and ladies. You should be glad to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Fishguard
    W6aA6OD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Omg its gone ,god help the ferryman as no where to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Heavy squall around 10am in South Dublin this morning with a bit of hail added in.
    Blew a lot of crap down my side passage which blocked my drain, only noticed when the water started flowing into my utility room.
    6 inches of standing water in the side passage, 2+ in the garage.
    Not the start I wanted to my morning :-|

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm

Mace head gusting 59 knots (109km/h)
    Sherkin 51 knots
    Finner 47 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

As I type, Thunder/lightning west of Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wintry showers here now in Donegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

As I type, Thunder/lightning west of Castlebar

Some in kinvara earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It was extremely windy in Limerick between 9pm and 10pm with heavy rain.

Calmer now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

If the stream of showers kept up and and were snow then we'd be getting plastered in cork, very heavy showers all evening.Hopefully it turns cold enough for some winteryness

Fingers crossed this snow comes (if it’s coming) before I get too far away tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Fingers crossed this snow comes (if it’s coming) before I get too far away tomorrow.

How far do you plan on going? :pac::pac::pac:

Monkeynut wrote: »
    How far do you plan on going? :pac::pac::pac:

West Cork and Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We had 2 brief power outages earlier tonight in the Ballysimon and Ballyneety areas of Co. Limerick. The first one shortly after 8.30 Pm and the second one about 9.15Pm. Outages last no more than 10 minutes. There was some severe gusts at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Guys. Anyone know if it will be safe to travel to Glasgow from Dublin on Wednesday morning. Back on Thursday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Guys. Anyone know if it will be safe to travel to Glasgow from Dublin on Wednesday morning. Back on Thursday afternoon.

What mode of transport?

For flights, it's up to the pilot and the airports whether the flight can depart safely (plane and airfield have to be operational). Can't see weather impacting either right now.

Also - these questions should be elsewhere. Technical discussions on this thread. Mods - feel free to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

been windy all day here in south galway however the winds are definitely picking up here now as the colder air encroaches from the west

• Advertisement

As regards the Tech thread v the Chat thread:

I understand it's a very tricky one to moderate, but I think Mods are cherry picking which posts to move to chat. Chatter isn't moved when it comes from the seasoned weather posters. I think that's wrong. If they really want a pure technical thread then let them have exactly that, just technical data. Move All other posts, not just the ones that annoy the amateur weather enthusiasts.
    The posters here are all weather enthusiasts, Graces7 is as deserving of that title as anyone else on this forum. She posts regularly, lyrically and graphically about weather conditions as she sees them. She should be held up as an elder and an elite of the weather forum rather than being relegated to a 'chat' thread.

The boards weather experts are always welcomed to the chat thread. Unfortunately the reverse isn't true.

Advertisement