Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

It’s up well over the path in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

We have had over 22mm of rain today + lashing again. If this continues there will be some amount of flooding by the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Anyone see any sun dogs/Iridescent Clouds over swords today?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

For the general public -- the worst is over.

For the weather forum hard-core -- the best is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry

Storm Ciara will continue to produce very strong westerly winds in coastal areas with mean speeds of 65-80km/h and gusts generally between 110 and 130km/h.

A combination of Spring Tides and high seas will result in a significant risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 06:00 Monday 10/02/2020 to 20:00 Monday 10/02/2020

Issued: 17:00 Sunday 09/02/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

not if the best is the snow part hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

I hope the worst is over + we get no snow cant stand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Heavy gusts,rain and lighting after passing through in my part of Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

NIMAN wrote: »
    It was lovely afternoon in north Donegal a few hours back.

But just as it's starting to get dark the wind is whipping up again now.. is there a second spell of wind due?

hail shower earlier but nothing worth a warning today barely a branch on the roads, last night was pretty rough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Still a fair breeze in north kerry. Was on the coast this afternoon and it took all my time to stay on my feet....great for the camera though:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was watching the BBC's news and the UK got hit hard with major flooding in parts,footage of water pouring out through people's letter boxes in Yorkshire as streets were inundated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thats a job for the H-R dynasty. Wonder how long it will take Michael to get it fixed.

I wonder could he get my chicken coop fixed as well..the storm too a few panels on the run:D

RTE's report on Storm Ciara featured the obligatory shot of a car submerged in a Salthill car park. Incredibly lazy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

The Orange is for wind ? Not Snow and ice ?

Mad how everyone saying it’s all over

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

je551e wrote: »
    Mad how everyone saying it’s all over

Is it not?
    Here today was a little windy, but nothing compared to last night.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is it not?
    Here today was a little windy, but nothing compared to last night.

Maybe it is but just when we’ve just been issued an orange warning in a kerry seems strange

Maybe it is but just when we’ve just been issued an orange warning in a kerry seems strange

Also I’m not saying it isn’t sure even MT says it is

• Registered Users Posts: 23,869 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

RTE's report on Storm Ciara featured the obligatory shot of a car submerged in a Salthill car park. Incredibly lazy journalism.

Parked by an obligatory eejit.

What would you rather they film?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Weather for the week on BBC one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Parked by an obligatory eejit.

What would you rather they film?

To be fair to use it as a news item and say "authorities had to deal with a partially submerged car...." when it had about 2inches of water around it was a tad pathetic. They obviously wanted footage of cars flooding in rivers etc but this was the best they could get. One single car and the water was barely touching the alloys.

Ah you're just mad because Mary Lou is riding you now.

An Orange warning, in layman's terms means: Very Bad Weather.

Yellow is: Bad Weather.

Red means: Really Very Bad Weather!

Red comes with an asterisk (*) that says: Try not to get yourself killed because of this Really Very Bad Weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

The latest orange wind warning that includes Kerry starts at 6 am tomorrow until 8 pm tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Wind and rain really picking up again here!! Howling down chimney.
    Galway/Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Probably the orange now in place is more to draw attention to the coastal flooding risk which remains considerable even if winds don't reach orange level from now on, the biggest peak of fetch comes with the next high tide. So my remark earlier was more about the widespread squally conditions earlier easing off. The snow portion of this event has to be respected also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some power in those showers, a mixed graupel/rain shower pushing through West Clare at the moment, fierce gusty with sheets of precip.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thats a job for the H-R dynasty. Wonder how long it will take Michael to get it fixed.

I wonder could he get my chicken coop fixed as well..the storm too a few panels on the run:D

Had that been before the
    election? Not a chance now ;)

Are the chucks ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

No mention or maybe its on another thread of baltic conditions with slippery conditions and white stuff covering all ireland from midnight tonight.I do hope cars have strong antifreeze and strong washer additive and wrap up well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Probably the orange now in place is more to draw attention to the coastal flooding risk which remains considerable even if winds don't reach orange level from now on, the biggest peak of fetch comes with the next high tide. So my remark earlier was more about the widespread squally conditions earlier easing off. The snow portion of this event has to be respected also.

I was roused from a deep sleep a few minutes ago by an almighty squall. Seems to have all revived out here. A couple more house-shakers since too.

Advertisement