Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looks like it’s there to stay.

If anything I thought it would be upgraded...strange

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

easypazz wrote: »
    I always find that once drama queen starts sending may day worst storm of all time signals from the island then it inevitable that a non event will follow.

Mod Note: easypazz has got a warning for being uncivil.

Stay on topic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rainfall so far today.

iwDksHF.gif

d2uic_ahx0.jpg

R9UgVol.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very strange they downgraded to yellow, though they haven't posted anything on twitter so could be potentially upgrading/changing the times. Highly unlikly there wouldnt be any orange, especially for kerry and parts of cork at least anyway.

EDIT: Doesn't even mention storm ciara in those updates, so most definitely just changing stuff id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very strange they downgraded to yellow, though they haven't posted anything on twitter so could be potentially upgrading/changing the times. Highly unlikly there wouldnt be any orange, especially for kerry and parts of cork at least anyway

Taking their time to update! Must have gone for coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

aidanodr wrote: »
    https://www.met.ie/warnings

Have met eireann downgraded ( updated 7pm )? Country was all ORANGE earlier ..

Marine also gone from RED to ORANGE

The orange warning was only until 6pm, already passed. Presumably there'll be another for tomorrow but again it looks like it'll be a fairly standard wet and windy winters day

oHFlliC.jpg

This is a Technical discussion Thread only: Charts, Maps, Satellite Pics, Observations, Data, Forecasts etc , all other chat in event chat thread here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058052509

Please follow Moderators instructions, post in appropriate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

It looks like the Orange warning is still in effect for tomorrow I think its a glitch with there website.

It could be that they can't have a yellow and orange warning in place nationwide for the whole country at once.

Earlier they had a Yellow warning in place for all counties apart from Donegal, Mayo and Galway and this is the reason they have updated that Status yellow warning to Add Donegal, Mayo and Galway as that Orange warning has expired. The current yellow warning is only in effect until midnight.

As for the status red Marine warning that was for today and not tomorrow.

This is the email I received at 7:14pm 2 minutes after that yellow warning was issued. The status orange warning still remains in place for Sunday.

Level: Orange
    Type: Wind
    Message: On Sunday, Storm Ciara will produce very strong southwest winds with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts generally up to 130km/h.

A combination of Spring Tides and high seas as well as stormy conditions will result in a significant risk of coastal flooding especially along western and northwestern coasts.
    Affected Regions: Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Leitrim, Laois, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford, and Wicklow
    Issue Time: Thursday 6/2/2020 11:00
    Expected Onset: Sunday 9/2/2020 05:00
    Expires: Sunday 9/2/2020 12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We'll see how tomorrow goes, but it is looking increasingly like the GFS, the more conservative model regarding this event, could come out tops. That is not to downplay whatever potential is there for some wild weather between now and tomorrow night, but this would not be the first time that the ECMWF has forecast winds to be worse than they end up being right up to last minute.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Still pretty quiet in Dublin. Although not dry anymore. A few squally showers in the last hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Downgraded to yellow. Strange one, 7 hours ago they only issued the orange...

I have been in contact with Met Eireann there

This is the reply I got

We are currently updating our warnings. The Orange Warning is still valid and will be back on the website shortly. Galway, Mayo and Donegal have been added to the Yellow Warning valid until tomorrow night.

Regards,

Forecast Division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

Snow will be the bigger disruptive influence rather than wind over the next few days.

Given recent downgrades (?) do you still believe this to be the case? In Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I have been in contact with Met Eireann there

This is the reply I got

We are currently updating our warnings. The Orange Warning is still valid and will be back on the website shortly. Galway, Mayo and Donegal have been added to the Yellow Warning valid until tomorrow night.

Regards,

Forecast Division

Why do they always 'take down' the warnings when they're being updated :confused: Its a modern website, surely they can just publish an updated version without affecting what's already on the site..

Given recent downgrades (?) do you still believe this to be the case? In Dublin?

The warning has not been downgraded it will be back up shortly as they are updating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From Met Eireann

The Status Orange wind warning for tomorrow morning is still valid. It will return to our website shortly, we have had technical difficulties relating to the expired Status Orange warning for selected western counties.

Why do they always 'take down' the warnings when they're being updated :confused: Its a modern website, surely they can just publish an updated version without affecting what's already on the site..

I think it could be something to do with there alerting service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

The warning has not been downgraded it will be back up shortly as they are updating it.

My bad, sorry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I know, seems nuts.

Very wild conditions here, large puddles and spot flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The new Met Eireann radar is a joke. It's bucketing here in Cork and it's latest slide isn't even showing ppn over us. Met office radar UK for me next few days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭jirafa

aidanodr wrote: »
    https://www.met.ie/warnings

Have met eireann downgraded ( updated 7pm )? Country was all ORANGE earlier ..

Marine also gone from RED to ORANGE

Latest from .... Met Éireann
    @MetEireann

The Status Orange wind warning for tomorrow morning is still valid. It will return to our website shortly, we have had technical difficulties relating to the expired Status Orange warning for selected western counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The new Met Eireann radar is a joke. It's bucketing here in Cork and it's latest slide isn't even showing ppn over us. Met office radar UK for me next few days!!

Net weather is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I'd say we'll get a snow warning early next week???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Still pretty quiet in Dublin. Although not dry anymore. A few squally showers in the last hour

Very windy in lucan at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

DellyBelly wrote: »

Don’t known whereabouts in Dublin you are.
    However the wind and rainfall has been steadily increasing in the D15 area since 16:30. I’d currently rate it as a Force 6 gusting to Force 7 at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

So is it a yellow or orange warning for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I know Met Éireann still say it’s an orange warning but all over virgin news now as a low yellow warning ... why do this ? Why the confusion. Most people would rightly think it was been downgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Seems to be broken.

Showing no rain anywhere in the country but it has rained steadily since about 5PM in Kildare.

Anyone looking for the latest warning use Met Éireanns old website you can find them there http://archive.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭jirafa

National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Ireland

On Sunday, Storm Ciara will produce very strong southwest winds with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts generally up to 130km/h.

A combination of Spring Tides and high seas as well as stormy conditions will result in a significant risk of coastal flooding especially along western and northwestern coasts.
    Issued:
    Saturday 8 February 2020 20:00
    Valid:
    Sunday 9 February 2020 05:00 to Sunday 9 February 2020 12:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Ireland

Southwesterly winds with mean speeds of 50-65km/h with gusts reaching 90-110km/h.

The combination of Spring Tides and high seas, as well as stormy conditions, will result in an elevated risk of coastal flooding.
    Issued:
    Saturday 8 February 2020 20:00
    Valid:
    Saturday 8 February 2020 20:00 to Sunday 9 February 2020 04:59

Link .................. http://archive.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Advertisement