Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

showers look fairly wintry alright but lying snow will probably mostly be restricted above 200 meters during daylight hours, maybe a dusting to lower levels in the west and north at night. Showers in the east and south will probably be scattered and brief in passing.

Hirlam going for a mix of rain, sleet and snow showers, snow mainly over high ground. Not much precipitation making it to the far east of Leinster, aside from light showers.

hirlamuk-1-44-0.png?08-17

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png?08-17

Arpege going for mostly rain and sleet showers, snow on hills. Dryer across Leinster with only a few showers.

arpegeuk-1-50-0.png?08-17

arpegeuk-1-72-0.png?08-17

GFS as usual overdoes the amount of snow. Showers in many places, heaviest across the west and north, a band of rain, sleet and snow slides across the southern third of the country on Monday.

48-574UK.GIF?08-12

Monday night looks dry with showers confined to western and northern coasts.
    60-574UK.GIF?08-12

Tuesday, heavy wintry showers across the west, midlands and especially the north. Showers may struggle to reach the east coast.

72-574UK.GIF?08-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Gonzo wrote: »
    showers look fairly wintry alright but lying snow will probably mostly be restricted above 200 meters during daylight hours, maybe a dusting to lower levels in the west and north at night. Showers in the east and south will probably be scattered and brief in passing.

Hirlam going for a mix of rain, sleet and snow showers, snow mainly over high ground. Not much precipitation making it to the far east of Leinster, aside from light showers.
    Gonzo you're killing me here, got in the bags of coal all set for a snowy day monday/Tuesday with a blazing fire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

The snow will arrive mixed with sleet and rain. I'd say well get an hour or two of a covering in the Northwest at least but it will melt readily. No big freeze just cold sourced air

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

mumo3 wrote: »
    Gonzo you're killing me here, got in the bags of coal all set for a snowy day monday/Tuesday with a blazing fire

You’ll still need the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

@Gonzo, it's my opinion that the gfs precipitation charts are quite accurate and a world ahead of hirlam, euro 4 etc

They got the last cold Westerly spot on!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

@Gonzo, it's my opinion that the gfs precipitation charts are quite accurate and a world ahead of hirlam, euro 4 etc

They got the last cold Westerly spot on!!

I think this event in terms of cold and snow will be very similar to the last one, just more places will see flakes this time with usual places seeing lying snow (Knock, hills across the west and north) and temporary transitional dustings elsewhere. Daytime temperatures will still be 3 to 5C generally, so any lying snow won't last very long.

There could be a band of rain/sleet or snow across the south on Monday, but how far north it goes has yet to be determined unsure if it will be all snow or just a wintry mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's the GFS sounding for a point in northern Cork/South Tipp in the chart below Monday lunchtime. Right on the border of marginality, with temp and dewpoint both above zero. It does show a pasting for hills and mountains, though.

48-779UK_qbw3.GIF

gfs_2020020812_fh48_sounding_52.43N_8.36W.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty heavy rain in Letterkenny since around 2pm though looks like the heaviest stuff is just east of here, the Mourne/Foyle river will definitely be full tonight

Wind not a feature at all though, got breezy earlier but calmed down again when the rain arrived.
    From a quick look at the hi res models, only Euro 04 is seeing the snow a lot of us think possible....

Euro4 has also been forecasting snow all afternoon across Ulster today so I'd take those charts with a grain of salt.

euro4_uk1-1-4-0_rka1.png

Would agree with Gonzo on snow potential, a good chance plenty of us will see some snow showers but nothing more than a slushy dusting for most on lower ground with a few spots here and there faring better. If temperatures are a degree or two lower than forecast then maybe more of us will see a proper covering

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

pauldry wrote: »
    The snow will arrive mixed with sleet and rain. I'd say well get an hour or two of a covering in the Northwest at least but it will melt readily. No big freeze just cold sourced air

It won't noticeably lie at all below the usual 250/300m level, too much modification with all that post storm energy and source

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Tbh any snow that does fall will just drown in the biblical floods around here...... fields and garden flooded more than I’ve seen in years. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

How winds in Galway city now? Will there be groans because 2020 was cancelled or is it nasty there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭squonk

In north Clare it’s pretty windy and very wet. I’d say they made the right call n cancelling really. It’s not a great evening to be out. The swamp is very exposed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

squonk wrote: »
    In north Clare it’s pretty windy and very wet. I’d say they made the right call n cancelling really. It’s not a great evening to be out. The swamp is very exposed as well.

The swamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, it’s a green area between salthill and the Claddagh where the event was to be. Right on the bay and no break for the wind and rain. Also it can get quite mucky so wouldn’t be fun tonight n

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Kilfarrasy on the copper coast at high tide. just trying to stand in one place and breath was starting to become difficult. Tramore was not too bad.

https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1226207732195262467?s=20

https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1226210382529912832?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

How winds in Galway city now? Will there be groans because 2020 was cancelled or is it nasty there?

I'm about 30km or so along the shoreline west of the swamp in Galway and tis a horrible evening out there. Fairly blowy with the odd punchy gust and heavy showers. Would have been miserable for those attending the 2020 event.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It won't noticeably lie at all below the usual 250/300m level, too much modification with all that post storm energy and source

The air does not have as much time to mix it out in this very unstable flow, so
    I think areas in the northwest, at relatively low levels, will have an inch or two of snow on the ground at night through Monday and Tuesday. It will be something similar to two weeks ago. Higher places, like Knock, may see see higher totals this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Now that I'm back up to speed on developments, would say first of all, no obvious signs of unforeseen intensification, but it is worth mentioning perhaps that unlike many storms following roughly similar track, this one was always forecast to have a much wider band of strong winds that were most intense at latitudes between 50 and 55 N, only in some very late stage near landfall was there any hint of a strong wrap-around near the low centre. So there won't likely be a scenario where the strongest winds are offshore, Ireland is likely to see whatever is strongest of Ciara.

Noted some sustained 70 kt winds east of Newfoundland on oil platforms (similar exposure to Kinsale energy platform) as 968 mb low tracked past to their north last night and this morning. That may indicate at least a similar outcome for south coast of Ireland (70 kt at the energy platform usually means 60-65 at the coastal heads). No useful ship reports (all routed away from strong wind zone).

As to this question of snow becoming disruptive later Monday into Tuesday, yes I am taking the "high ground mainly" approach but not ruling out some mixing at all elevations, don't want anyone to interpret the comments by me or about me as "it won't snow below 200m" because it probably will at some point, just the accumulating and not rapidly melting snow would be on higher terrain.

Cork may be an exception too, if the snow were to stick at elevations closer to 100 metres then it could be in west Munster getting the best of the upper dynamics with this set-up. Will perhaps address that in more detail with the Sunday morning forecast. I think we've all seen a few cases where this kind of long-fetch cold just modifies that little bit at the end of the buildup period and cuts off the potential, maybe that's in the back of my mind (lots of room in there see username). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Discodog wrote: »
    Thanks. I have often wondered as I have seen it before. I think the new radar image makes it more obvious.

Some bright banding effect visible on the Dublin Airport radar now too.

Also what precipitation level does the colour green represent here, green is not on the scale!!!

WEB_radar5_202002081845.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Plenty heavy rain in Letterkenny since around 2pm though looks like the heaviest stuff is just east of here, the Mourne/Foyle river will definitely be full tonight

Same story here. Pretty bog-standard stuff so far. ECM12z seems to be pushing the strongest of the winds further south (surprise surprise) for tomorrow.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Models showing Kerry / Munster possibility of Thunderstorms from early morning ,as from around 03.00 / 04.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭squarecircles

yep bog standard storm conditions now and no disruptive accumulating snow for monday /tuesday.

it was looking interesting there for a while but nope standard winter pig muck.

time to turn ones attention to the valentines day storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭King of Spades

I'm about 30km or so along the shoreline west of the swamp in Galway and tis a horrible evening out there. Fairly blowy with the odd punchy gust and heavy showers. Would have been miserable for those attending the 2020 event.

Unlucky having a 2 day storm but you’d still have to wonder who thought it would be a good idea to host the event there at the start of February!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://www.met.ie/warnings

Have met eireann downgraded ( updated 7pm )? Country was all ORANGE earlier ..

Marine also gone from RED to ORANGE

aidanodr wrote: »
    https://www.met.ie/warnings

Have met eireann downgraded ( updated 7pm )? Country was all ORANGE earlier ..

Marine also gone from RED to ORANGE

Yeah certainly looks like it. Just never know with that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is that cos they are updating? Surely it isn’t going to be downgraded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

yep bog standard storm conditions now and no disruptive accumulating snow for monday /tuesday.

I always find that once drama queen starts sending may day worst storm of all time signals from the island then it inevitable that a non event will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A little bit breezy outside Limerick City.

Not much different from a typical day

In fairness I'm glad the storm has progressed into something more manageable and regular for our part of the world. This storm will still bring some disruption, power cuts that sort of thing, people still need to be careful.

What was shown on the charts about 4 days ago was fascinating to watch with far more intense windspeeds/gusts most of us have never experienced before, I'm happy we're not waiting to find out the sort of damage that would have done. It would have beaten Storm Darwin for sustained windspeeds and gusts, especially inland. Thankfully it hasn't turned out like that.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Is that cos they are updating? Surely it isn’t going to be downgraded?

Looks like it’s there to stay.

Advertisement