Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The flaw is how many of those 300 killed in Ireland were killed in the republic ?
    Because the point is the attitude of Irish people in the republic towards british people.

As I said earlier in the thread, I dont think this anti british hatred is as bad as some seem or if it is I am not seeing it in my social circle

No flaw, OP didn't mention republic just 'Irish people' All people born on the Island can be called Irish.

I don't think there is hatred towards British people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

When the Irish starve, it's because of the free market.

When the Indians starve, it's because of the war.

Funnily enough, I don't recall any case of mass starvation in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Sorry, my opinion seems to be misconstrued and not explained. Was travelling over the last day so didn't realise it was remarked upon so much.

I suppose what I was trying to say, with all the IRA-led terrorism over there in a more recent time-frame than the colonialism stuff, that they would be within their rights to hold a grudge for prior "Irish incidents", but don't. From experience (however limited), they actually love the Irish.

Compare that to the number of people over here that would be anti-British, and it's sad.

Oh and I take umbrage to Johnny Sausage calling me out for a previous post. It is the Unpopular Opinions thread after all- obsessed much?

The Scots ( large chunk of them) hate us, are they not British?

The idea that we dislike the brits more than they us is a myth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Facebook
    I want to wish my 11 year old daughter a happy birthday but I have to announce it to the whole world to show people what a good parent I am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

That you should hold your elected leaders to task on the bull**** they enact on the masses. And not just accept their idiotic bull**** reasons for it.And then complain on talk shows about how wrong you've been done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Former boards prisoners might'nt appreciate: The Prison Forum actually contains more Humour being comical to read than the actual Humour forum here on boards.ie

Somone offering beasty out for a scrap in there now haha

only wants to discuss in person and not behind a keyboard :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The world is overpopulated by a good 6 billion people, there I said it.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The rise of modern political radicalism (both extreme right and left/hyper liberal leaning) and the virtual elimination and silencing of the traditional middle ground in Western nations is almost entirely the result of easy communications via social media and the Internet combined with an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity for these countries.

You're probably right. With a western lifestyle the max figure is about 1.5 Billion. Some calamity will overcome most of the human race but who knows when or what, probably happened before too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Dogs > children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and you're probably 1 of the 6 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

parking in town's should be free, let the council get their money somewhere else instead of giving most of it to parking company's.

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and you're probably 1 of the 6 billion.

Probably. You too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

decky1 wrote: »
    parking in town's should be free, let the council get their money somewhere else instead of giving most of it to parking company's.

It's already hard to get parking in town sometimes, if it was free finding parking space would be close to impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The only reason the Royals keep their enormous wealth and privilege is because of their target audience, middle aged women who watch Coronation St and Emmerdale..and the media who do a great job in turning the whole thing into a silly soap opera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

The people who keep posting that they have never seen an episode of Game Of Thrones are sad

I've never seen an episode of other popular shows I don't announce it like its something I'm proud of

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The luas is nowhere near good enough or complete enough a service to facilitate a city the size of dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Greyfox wrote: »
    It's already hard to get parking in town sometimes, if it was free finding parking space would be close to impossible

thinking more of small towns,not Dublin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

The only reason the Royals keep their enormous wealth and privilege is because of their target audience, middle aged women who watch Coronation St and Emmerdale..and the media who do a great job in turning the whole thing into a silly soap opera

Actually, most years the royal family make a profit for the uk tax payer.
    Apart from that they are a figure head, much like a statue on a car bonnet, completely unnecessary but adds stature, pride and grace.
    It is exactly because they are that, that millions of people come from all over the world to see Buckingham palace, and there other homes dotted around England, and there able to open up trade deals worth billions that the politicians cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Midster wrote: »
    Apart from that they are a figure head, much like a statue on a car bonnet, completely unnecessary but adds stature, pride and grace.
    It is exactly because they are that, that millions of people come from all over the world to see Buckingham palace, and there other homes dotted around England, and there able to open up trade deals worth billions that the politicians cannot.
    Unverifiable statement - includes Crown estates (obviously wouldn't be owned by Windsor family if the Windsor family were dead) and attributes a significant proportion of tourism to them.

Al Yamami deal was won by paying bribes. Hard to think of any other deal that politicians couldn't have 'won'.

Why don't they set Prince Andrew against Barnier and see how that works out.

• Advertisement

Midster wrote: »

That it brings in more tourism is nonsense. More people go to London Zoo each year than to Windsor castle. Also, you could have people coming to see Buckingham Palace and such landmarks WITHOUT any Royals in it(they are not permitted to meet them anyway, for the money they earn a bit of tourguiding would go astray). People go to see the colleseum in Rome but don't expect any Gladiator fights to take place. That is ancient history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I know for a fact that nobody visits Versailles now that it doesn't have any royals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Rock n Roll Christmas by Paul Gadd and the lads, is a cracking tune.

Not to be heard on Christmas FM sadly.

KungPao wrote: »
    Rock n Roll Christmas by Paul Gadd and the lads, is a cracking tune.

Not to be heard on Christmas FM sadly.

Paul did some nasty. So he can go the gollum off.

armaghlad wrote: »
    Dogs > children
    Cats > dogs too. Cats clean themselves and don't have to be walked.

Cats > dogs too. Cats clean themselves and don't have to be walked.

Yeah but dogs are warmer and more caring

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

That it brings in more tourism is nonsense. More people go to London Zoo each year than to Windsor castle. Also, you could have people coming to see Buckingham Palace and such landmarks WITHOUT any Royals in it(they are not permitted to meet them anyway, for the money they earn a bit of tourguiding would go astray). People go to see the colleseum in Rome but don't expect any Gladiator fights to take place. That is ancient history.

As Buckingham palace is the royal families main home, and that it’s also in London, anyone coming to see it would most likely also be there for the other things in London, like London zoo for example.
    I also don’t think the people who come from all these different locations on earth to take a selfie outside Buckingham palace are really expecting any kind of show up by a member of the royal family. If there in or out, it makes no difference to those people. However, there is a small chance a small number of these people may get a selfie with the added bonus of one of the royal family casually looking out of the window.
    And, of course your right about the colosseum, after all that building has been empty and un used for like centuries. But that doesn’t stop people traveling thousands of miles each year with having a selfie of them either in or near the colosseum top of the agenda. Bringing much needed money into the Italian economy.
    Much like the uks royal family and there houses do for the uk economy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Pure Imagination by Gene Wilder absolutely counts as a Christmas song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Hi I just have a question about you I am not going there to be there a couple days late so if I could lose a couple things and then I’ll get them a couple days before Christmas so if I get there any longer I can get it to him and I can see what you think about that and I’ll be sure that to you see what I have to say about you guys I don’t want you guys in there and you can see what I want and you want me stuff like you do and you get to work with him I want you and you want me stuff like you like me and I don’t know how to get you to get it to you I know it’s a lot but you can see what you do for you guys I don’t want you guys I want you guys I don’t want to you do anything you want to do and I don’t think 🀔 I ever got anything I just want it I just don’t know if it’s just that

Hi can I check my Twitter??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Cats > dogs too.

No.

Advertisement