Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

There should be no doubt that Ireland is one of the wealthiest countries on earth.

I'm sure that will be of huge comfort to the people standing in line at food banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

blueshade wrote: »
    I'm sure that will be of huge comfort to the people standing in line at food banks.

You can bet the richest country in the world has hungry people also.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't think we ever had a hand in over 4,000,000 English either starving to death or having to leave their shores or starve to death. Granted, it was a while ago but hey ho, that happened.

You do know that famines were common all over Europe right? You do know that the rich landowners and monarchies of Europe were totally fine with people who couldn't afford food starving to death? There is no justification for the famine, but this juvenile Brit hate got tiresome a long long time ago. Many British people starved to death during famines and many more who had no money were left to starve to death too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Blueshade said something reasonable and true regarding famines.

You do know that famines were common all over Europe right? You do know that the rich landowners and monarchies of Europe were totally fine with people who couldn't afford food starving to death? There is no justification for the famine, but this juvenile Brit hate got tiresome a long long time ago. Many British people starved to death during famines and many more who had no money were left to starve to death too.

I don't hate the Brits. Quite the contrary. All my family (parents, uncles etc.) all made their living in England when there was fcukall employment here. England was good to my family. My point was to counter your 'we were worse than the Brits' claim.

And the fact that there were rich landowners and monarchies and famines all over Europe doesn't change the fact that the Brits contributed greatly to the number of deaths and displacement caused during this period.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't hate the Brits. Quite the contrary. All my family (parents, uncles etc.) all made their living in England when there was fcukall employment here. England was good to my family. My point was to counter your 'we were worse than the Brits' claim.

And the fact that there were rich landowners and monarchies and famines all over Europe doesn't change the fact that the Brits contributed greatly to the number of deaths and displacement caused during this period.

Where did I say 'we were worse than the Brits' and I think you meant the British establishment not the poor who had no more help or rights than the Irish peasants.

Irish people (and its generally men from experience) still holding a grudge against England are idiots. Irish have done a lot more damage to English life over the last 50 odd years than they ever done to us. From experience they love the Irish

Apologies blueshade. It wasn't you who said we have done a lot more damage to the English than they have ever done to us. It was the poster I quoted in the paragraph above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Not in the 1840s in the richest country in the world

The Potato failed in Belgium , Germany and Scotland as well as Ireland.

The famine was a genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Irish people (and its generally men from experience) still holding a grudge against England are idiots. Irish have done a lot more damage to English life over the last 50 odd years than they ever done to us. From experience they love the Irish

That's some **** your talking there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That's some **** your talking there

in fairness he has form for it with his odd Sean Cox post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

While it is foolish to hold a grudge after all this time it should not be forgotten either.

I cannot see how Irish have done as much damage in the last 50 years. How do you figure that? Forced deportations, plantations, penal laws, population displacement and a policy of export of foodstuffs during mass starvation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Not really an opinion that u ever really hear but growing up was always encouraged to think of all the angles, don’t put your hat firmly on one position etc but I actually find this bad advice. Not having strong opinions or convictions in your thoughts is not a nice way to live. And imo if you except the fallibility of your judgement, you can never really have a strong opinion on anything...I’m nearly certain of it ��

Not in the 1840s in the richest country in the world

The Potato failed in Belgium , Germany and Scotland as well as Ireland.

The famine was a genocide.

There were many many many famines, not just in 1840 and the average citizen had no say because they were poor and had no vote.

There were many many many famines, not just in 1840 and the average citizen had no say because they were poor and had no vote.
    The potato crop failed all over Europe in the mid 1840s as a result of a blight brought to Europe from British controlled Canada.

That's a matter of historical record.

There was a famine in two places Ireland and the Scottish Highlands. This was genocide aimed at the Gael.

The British continue to occupy our land.

Onto ignore you go now, no more trolling for you.
    Poor little racist can't handle facts.

It's like I say folks the right is not based in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Some hate the English. I don't. They're just w*nkers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by w*nkers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by. We're ruled by effete ar*eholes

Some hate the English. I don't. They're just w*nkers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by w*nkers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by. We're ruled by effete ar*eholes

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah , Trainspotting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

The potato crop failed all over Europe in the mid 1840s as a result of a blight brought to Europe from British controlled Canada.

That's a matter of historical record.

There was a famine in two places Ireland and the Scottish Highlands. This was genocide aimed at the Gael.

The British continue to occupy our land.

Dont forget the british people donated and helped the irish, as did the germans, native americans etc....

I never had a problem with the British people, I had an issue with the British government and politicians, I dont hate all their people because of them.

I despises the Irish government and its politicians as much, but dont hate Irish people in general.

Every culture , race etc has good and bad people, the british are no better or no worse than any one else, and to despise the average brit of today or hold them responsible for something they were not part off for in the last century is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Dont forget the british people donated and helped the irish, as did the germans, native americans etc....

I never had a problem with the British people, I had an issue with the British government and politicians, I dont hate all their people because of them.

I despises the Irish government and its politicians as much, but dont hate Irish people in general.

Every culture , race etc has good and bad people, the british are no better or no worse than any one else, and to despise the average brit of today or hold them responsible for something they were not part off for in the last century is wrong

And playing the victim doesn't help anyone. People going on about the famine a century and a half later is ott

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

My edgiest opinion? If a woman is constantly emotionally abusing her husband, constantly criticising him and belittling him, he is fully entitled to hit her.
    If your partner is being emotionally abusive you leave them. Violence is illegal and can only be condoned in self defence ie someone else is physically attacking you.

Mules wrote: »
    And playing the victim doesn't help anyone. People going on about the famine a century and a half later is ott

of course.

This hatred for british people based on what their politicians done in the past serves no purpose.

These so called people who hated the British forget some of Ireland s greatest heroes, if you are into that were in fact actually British,,,ie roger casement for example.

to hate a nation of people based on what their politicians in the last century did is simply retarded

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Gimme the English anyday over the Scots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Blueshade has been banned.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

It was a quote from Mark Renton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Irish people (and its generally men from experience) still holding a grudge against England are idiots. Irish have done a lot more damage to English life over the last 50 odd years than they ever done to us. From experience, they love the Irish

Interested in this claim!! Can you provide information and sources to make it stand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sorry, my opinion seems to be misconstrued and not explained. Was travelling over the last day so didn't realise it was remarked upon so much.

I suppose what I was trying to say, with all the IRA-led terrorism over there in a more recent time-frame than the colonialism stuff, that they would be within their rights to hold a grudge for prior "Irish incidents", but don't. From experience (however limited), they actually love the Irish.

Compare that to the number of people over here that would be anti-British, and it's sad.

Oh and I take umbrage to Johnny Sausage calling me out for a previous post. It is the Unpopular Opinions thread after all- obsessed much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just looking at the web I found these figures from 1970 to date..

Civillians killed by British forces (Legal standing in UK) in Ireland (32 counties) over 300

Civillains killed mainly by IRA (Illegal organisation in both juristictions) in GB

over 100

I know that this is just one aspect but it does not seem to support your argument.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Just looking at the web I found these figures from 1970 to date..

Th

Civillians killed by British forces (Legal standing in UK) in Ireland (32 counties) over 300

Civillains killed by mainly by IRA (Illegal organisation in both juristictions) in GB

over 100

I know that this is just one aspect but it does seem to support your argument.

The flaw is how many of those 300 killed in Ireland were killed in the republic ?
    Because the point is the attitude of Irish people in the republic towards british people.

As I said earlier in the thread, I dont think this anti british hatred is as bad as some seem or if it is I am not seeing it in my social circle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Sandwizard wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that most wives do not find their husbands sexually attractive. The sex they do have is transactional. The husband does not experience her true sexuality that other men likely did in her younger years.

What are your secrets for a happy marriage?

Advertisement