Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

Hi I just have a question about you I am not going there to be there a couple days late so if I could lose a couple things and then I’ll get them a couple days before Christmas so if I get there any longer I can get it to him and I can see what you think about that and I’ll be sure that to you see what I have to say about you guys I don’t want you guys in there and you can see what I want and you want me stuff like you do and you get to work with him I want you and you want me stuff like you like me and I don’t know how to get you to get it to you I know it’s a lot but you can see what you do for you guys I don’t want you guys I want you guys I don’t want to you do anything you want to do and I don’t think 🀔 I ever got anything I just want it I just don’t know if it’s just that

Hi can I check my Twitter??????

Someone grab a hospital trolley immediately, the professor has finally lost it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wall to wall sports on across almost all radio on Sunday is so boring. How many times do matches have to ruminated over?

A replacement radio program is urgently needed for Donnacha's Sunday: Donacha O Duailinn.

Showing my age now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wall to wall sports on across almost all radio on Sunday is so boring. How many times do matches have to ruminated over?

Saturdays, too.
    Come lunchtime it's all sport or crap music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I know for a fact that nobody visits Versailles now that it doesn't have any royals.

In 2017 the Palace of Versailles received 7,700,000 visitors, making it the second-most visited monument in the Île-de-France region, just behind the Louvre and ahead of the Eiffel Tower.[3]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There should be no taxpayers money given to Irish Soccer i.e. FAI if it can't support itself it should be left die. Concentrate on GAA and perhaps Rugby instead. Soccer is only reasonably popular in the cities anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

The only reason the Royals keep their enormous wealth and privilege is because of their target audience, middle aged women who watch Coronation St and Emmerdale..and the media who do a great job in turning the whole thing into a silly soap opera

Yes yes yes oh my god yes.

They know exactly who to market themselves to and how.

They're slick as fck, and I'm pretty sure they time weddings and babies to the end of keeping the numbers up.

They are especially marketed to women on the basis of evolutionary psych.
    Babies, marriage and high profile pomp.

And the women love it. How could they not, they're wired for it.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

saabsaab wrote: »
    There should be no taxpayers money given to Irish Soccer i.e. FAI if it can't support itself it should be left die. Concentrate on GAA and perhaps Rugby instead. Soccer is only reasonably popular in the cities anyway.

They reaped what they sow. Such disdain towards the GAA (or as they call it Gah or Grab All Association. Hilarious), yet no ounce of criticism towards Delaney so long as he was opening clubhouses around the country. How could both the FAI and IRFU shoulder debt after the redevelopment of the Aviva, yet one of them fail utterly to get profitable again?

I suppose though being an off-shoot of UEFA, it shouldn't be a surprise that there's financial issues.

Cowboys. Wouldn't give them a red cent of funding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

not defending the corruption, but unlike the gaa, at least "soccer" players get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

All this thing
    Best actor in a male and female role is bull****
    There was nothing wrong with actor/actress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The irish love to laugh about the english soccer fans fraternity. Yet we follow the exact same script with irish rugby, and that seems to be completely lost on us.

I cant understand why court proceedings cant be brought against everyone involved in the fai situation

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

It doesn’t matter what you, your family, or your friends think, cause even if you all agree on what you want the world to be like, it will always be something unexpected, and something you never wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I cant understand why court proceedings cant be brought against everyone involved in the fai situation

Some people were caught but they did not act in isolation.. don't want to rattle the boat too much!

The value system at the FAI is present in a lot of other places where government funding is involved. Look at Rehab/Angela Kerins.. the sense of entitlement is ripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

20Wheel wrote: »
    They are especially marketed to women on the basis of evolutionary psych.
    Babies, marriage and high profile pomp.

And the women love it. How could they not, they're wired for it.

Yeah all the leading republics of the world have aisles of stuff for girls in their shops based around the princess fantasy. The U.S., a republic of some two and a half centuries' standing, produced a lot of background material for this through Hollywood and Disney animations.

Although a lot of recent SJW whinging be irritating, getting the little girls of the western world to have more meaningful ambition in life can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Irish culture is basically dead, what we've got now is a weird mutilated hybrid of cultural pieces taken primarily from the UK and America.

Irish culture is basically dead, what we've got now is a weird mutilated hybrid of cultural pieces taken primarily from the UK and America.

In a way that is good,personally I am sick of the over bearing church influence we had, the parochial nostalgia, the grubby manipulative GAA mentality and the ridiculous and utterly useless Irish language.

Sooner teach your kids a language that would be of actual benefit that they could use for advancement in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Amalgam wrote: »
    Some people were caught but they did not act in isolation.. don't want to rattle the boat too much!

The value system at the FAI is present in a lot of other places where government funding is involved. Look at Rehab/Angela Kerins.. the sense of entitlement is ripe.

I get what you are saying, but surely their hiding of payouts made to themselves is something that can be acted upon? They emphatically cooked their books, which cant be legal.
    Similarly, surely the failure of auditers to notice such things year upon year would warrant an investigation into their practices at a minimum, as well as some form of penalty against them?

In a way that is good,personally I am sick of the over bearing church influence we had, the parochial nostalgia, the grubby manipulative GAA mentality and the ridiculous and utterly useless Irish language.

Sooner teach your kids a language that would be of actual benefit that they could use for advancement in life.

Is the anglo/USA culture any better? You know that Irish is still used in parts as a daily language? Grubby GAA?, a bit rich considering what is coming out now about Irish soccer.

Is the anglo/USA culture any better? You know that Irish is still used in parts as a daily language? Grubby GAA, a bit rich considering what is coming out npow about Irish soccer.

Just because the FAI are a bunch of corrupt a-holes does not make the GAA any less grubby.
    They are not mutually exclusive.

As for the Irish language, what use is it except in some kip like ballygobackwards or reading the weather on TG4.

Learn mandarin, french, spanish, a language that is spoken by millions not muck savages trotting trough a bog that belong in the last century.

People have a rose tinted view of irish culture and its past, but as someone who grew up in a time when the priests were fiddling kids, brown envelopes between politicians were common practice, nepotism was rampant, the police would think nothing of beating you, regardless if you were innocent or not, and it was illegal to buy condoms, because the same church that covered up paedos, were telling us it was wrong to use condoms.
    People need to take off the blinkers and realize the past was not as great as some make out

Just because the FAI are a bunch of corrupt a-holes does not make the GAA any less grubby.
    They are not mutually exclusive.

As for the Irish language, what use is it except in some kip like ballygobackwards or reading the weather on TG4.

Learn mandarin, french, spanish, a language that is spoken by millions not muck savages trotting trough a bog that belong in the last century.

People have a rose tinted view of irish culture and its past, but as someone who grew up in a time when the priests were fiddling kids, brown envelopes between politicians were common practice, nepotism was rampant, the police would think nothing of beating you, regardless if you were innocent or not, and it was illegal to buy condoms, because the same church that covered up paedos, were telling us it was wrong to use condoms.
    People need to take off the blinkers and realize the past was not as great as some make out

That is some statement to make above I take it you are from Dublin with an extreme view and never went to a Gaeltacht. Have you any examples of the grubby GAA?

On your last point there is some truth about the RC church's dominance but that is fading fast and Anglo/USA culture is equally bad in a different way. Multiple stabbings/shootings in cities all the time and spreading here unfortunately.

• Advertisement

That is some statement to make above I take it you are from Dublin with an extreme view and never went to a Gaeltacht. Have you any examples of the grubby GAA?

On your last point there is some truth about the RC church's dominance but that is fading fast and Anglo/USA culture is equally bad in a different way. Multiple stabbings/shootings in cities all the time and spreading here unfortunately.

again you are missing the point,

I accept crime is worse, people more aggressive etc,today, and things are far from rosy but that does not lessen the point the past and this Irish culture we had was somehow better.

The past had more than its fair share of flaw.
    No I am not from dublin, and any organisation that rakes in MILLIONS per year from gate receipts, sponsorship, rte and sky tv rights and does not pay their players are more than just grubby.

again you are missing the point,

I accept crime is worse, people more aggressive etc,today, and things are far from rosy but that does not lessen the point the past and this Irish culture we had was somehow better.

The past had more than its fair share of flaw.
    No I am not from dublin, and any organisation that rakes in MILLIONS per year from gate receipts, sponsorship, rte and sky tv rights and does not pay their players are more than just grubby.

Ok, so you are not from Dublin but that mindset is mainly found in some parts of Dublin. We shouldn't surrender our culture to anyone that includes Irish language and the GAA . The GAA doesn't pay its players because they want tp play for the enjoyment and for pride of place unlike soccer a garrison game.

Ok, so you are not from Dublin but that mindset is mainly found in some parts of Dublin. We shouldn't surrender our culture to anyone that includes Irish language and the GAA . The GAA doesn't pay its players because they want tp play for the enjoyment and for pride of place unlike soccer a garrison game.

Enlighten me, what exact "culture" are you speaking off ??

I am curious, other than a dying language that is not worth snot and only kept alive by government backing, and that will fail after costing far too much.

what exactly should we be holding on to...the influence of the church, the gaa parochial mentality, what exactly ?

Irish literature, art, music etc will survive maybe thrive even further, and good luck to them, but this notion of irish people becoming westernized in something that is not all evil and something that will have to be accepted in todays world.

As for your nonsense of "garrison town" game, Soccer is the biggest watched sport in the world, players in the lower leagues of many countries earn a living playing the game, toip leagues makes players millionaires.

GAA is mickey mouse in comparison, where some GAA director on a big salary visits some culchie club and donates a few hurleys and a net and everyone is happy.

The GAA should pay their players. If one of my employees got hurt playing that game, and was out of work why should I burden the responsibility ?
    The GAA as i said rake in millions upon million per annum from sky, rte, guinness, and the hundreds of gates receipts and they are too tight to play the players.

And dont give me that brainwashed rubbish the GAA indoctrinated the players with, its for "the love of the game", thats the mantra they have told people over and over til they actually believe if you ask for your value you are not a true gaa player.

Ask yourself this, a soccer player like Roy Keane, or a top GAA player...which one has the better bank balance, more fame, universally recognized etc.

Enlighten me, what exact "culture" are you speaking off ??

I am curious, other than a dying language that is not worth snot and only kept alive by government backing, and that will fail after costing far too much.

what exactly should we be holding on to...the influence of the church, the gaa parochial mentality, what exactly ?

Irish literature, art, music etc will survive maybe thrive even further, and good luck to them, but this notion of irish people becoming westernized in something that is not all evil and something that will have to be accepted in todays world.

As for your nonsense of "garrison town" game, Soccer is the biggest watched sport in the world, players in the lower leagues of many countries earn a living playing the game, toip leagues makes players millionaires.

GAA is mickey mouse in comparison, where some GAA director on a big salary visits some culchie club and donates a few hurleys and a net and everyone is happy.

The GAA should pay their players. If one of my employees got hurt playing that game, and was out of work why should I burden the responsibility ?
    The GAA as i said rake in millions upon million per annum from sky, rte, guinness, and the hundreds of gates receipts and they are too tight to play the players.

And dont give me that brainwashed rubbish the GAA indoctrinated the players with, its for "the love of the game", thats the mantra they have told people over and over til they actually believe if you ask for your value you are not a true gaa player.

Ask yourself this, a soccer player like Roy Keane, or a top GAA player...which one has the better bank balance, more fame, universally recognized etc.

The Irish language has been around far longer that english only a philistine would like to see it die.

The answer is obvious on the money front but a bigger bank balance isn't important to culture or many people. Soccer in Ireland is based in the former the garrison towns and likes to milk its poor adherents from the backstreets of those towns - nothing to do with Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sure by your token we should pay every soccer player at every level then. If a GAA player is good enough to make it professional at any sport, he will be found. See the increasing number of young lads going over to play Aussie Rules.

One thing I have noticed though which is probably the biggest irony in the country is that so many lads that play soccer at a local level and love rebel music but hate GAA.

The Irish language has been around far longer that english only a philistine would like to see it die.

The answer is obvious on the money front but a bigger bank balance isn't important to culture or many people. Soccer in Ireland is based in the former the garrison towns and likes to milk its poor adherents from the backstreets of those towns - nothing to do with culture.

oh because someone does not have time for an outdated language then are now a philistine.What next teach out kids sanskrit because that too is old. Languages die for many reasons.

The difference is I rather my kids learn a language that will broaden their mind, something they can use for multiple types of jobs, or even travel.
    Expand their minds with something that is important, or useful, not because mammy or daddy are stuck in the past. sticking kids in gaelschools in order to impress others

Tell me how does soccer milk its poor people from the street....?

How does the GAA recruit them...?

You are entitled to your opinion, but in mine Irish is a stupid language.
    Do the gardai even require it anymore ?
    Faster it dies, and the mentality of the past dies with it the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭bmc58

And about time too.Enough of this cap tipping to the big man with all the money in the parish and the scamming TD's who think they are our betters.

I repeat the Irish language has been around far longer that english only a philistine would like to see it die, I'd say most Irish people would agree.

Unlike Sanskrit, I don't have anything against it by the way, Irish is still alive and doing fine. I can't see it narrowing anyone's mind either.

Soccer milks its adherents through Sky subscriptions jerseys etc that many can ill afford anyway most soccer games are boring nill all draws or 1-0 etc. etc.

bmc58 wrote: »
    And about time too.Enough of this cap tipping to the big man with all the money in the parish and the scamming TD's who think they are our betters.

Nobody tips the cap anymore that was before the english were driven out and like it or not the people decide who is elected as TD. Is the new big man the local drug dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I repeat the Irish language has been around far longer that english only a philistine would like to see it die, I'd say most Irish people would agree.

Unlike Sanskrit, I don't have anything against it by the way, Irish is still alive and doing fine. I can't see it narrowing anyone's mind either.

Languages come and go. No one gets killed in the process. Irish has ceased to be a working language by and large, it's been preserved in aspic to please lobby groups.

The majority of Irish people may like Irish to survive, but hypocritically "someone else" must do that for them, the govt or schoolchildren. Someone living in the arse end of a Gaeltacht.
    Whoever. Doesn't matter.
    They're not going to break a sweat learning or relearning it for themselves.

Advertisement