Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

smash wrote: »
    I've literally never heard that name before.

Neither have I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Kovu wrote: »
    I agree that Padraigin sounds much much better than it looks, more like paw-ree-geen than prouncing the hard 'ig' in the middle of Padraig.

Now I'm even more confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Bart

Bort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think we have a winner in Sadhbh. First step on the road to being a terrible parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think we have a winner in Sadhbh. First step on the road to being a terrible parent.

I think that's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard on boards.ie (and that's saying something).

What is wrong with Sadhbh? Is it the Irishness you object to? Or the spelling?

I think it's a beautiful name.

There's scores of terrible names listed on this thread and you pick that as the worst? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think that's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard on boards.ie (and that's saying something).

There's scores of terrible names listed on this thread and you pick that as the worst? Seriously?

It's a cry for attention. I wouldn't pay much heed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I always just thing of scythes or a side of coleslaw.

I come across some strange names in the course of my work. Today was a middle name 'Enigma' for a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I remember being in a shop in Letterkenny and a white lady was roaring at her also white child, little Shaniqua, to cop the fcuk on. I had to leave as I nearly burst out laughing. Few Shakiras about too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I moved hospitals from a kids one to one where the main demographic is 70+. Names are verrrry different, but equally unlikeable.

Augustine, Winifred, Sylvester are dodgy but the worst is Wilhelmina so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

furiousox wrote: »
    Assumpta
    Padraigin (For a girl)

I met a Dympna recently. She was in her 20s. And definitely not a nun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Frank. Such an old man name. I thought maybe they were naming the little kid after some relative that'd died. They weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah get over yourself it's a lighthearted thread. You're entitled to thinking it's a beautiful name much the same that others are entitled to think it sounds like an itchy skin condition or something you put in a curry.

'-dhbh', hard to make sense of that in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah get over yourself it's a lighthearted thread. You're entitled to thinking it's a beautiful name much the same that others are entitled to think it sounds like an itchy skin condition or something you put in a curry.

'-dhbh', hard to make sense of that in fairness.

I could understand a foreigner finding it hard to pronounce, just like many Irish people might find it hard to pronounce foreign names. But I would expect Irish people to know how "dhbh" sounds..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    But I would expect Irish people to know how "dhbh" sounds..
    Out of context, this is hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rhabarbarum

Soviet names of the early period, tho. I found myself one night reading those on wikipedia and I was left kinda speechless. Engelsina. Barrikad. Dazdraperma. Honestly, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    I could understand a foreigner finding it hard to pronounce, just like many Irish people might find it hard to pronounce foreign names. But I would expect Irish people to know how "dhbh" sounds..

I'm just over 30. First time I heard this name was last year. I don't think it's spelled in any way that's intuitively pronounced even if I'm wearing my "Paddy-hat."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm just over 30. First time I heard this name was last year. I don't think it's spelled in any way that's intuitively pronounced even if I'm wearing my "Paddy-hat."

The original was Sadhbh Nic Donnchadh, wife of the Ard-Rí back in the day. That's this chappie, so don't dis the Woman:

Ard-Rí pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Spudgun wrote: »
    Fiadh, how could you look at your tiny baby and call her that.

Well, phonetically it's not all that different to Aoife.

Fee-ah. Ee-fah.

I wouldn't use either name myself, but I don't think either are particularly awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I have a William. He's the only grandchild so far on my side of the family, but my brother's missus is due in a few days and Michael is a strong contender if it's a boy. My dad is dead set against it, because my sister's partner's name is Richard ... she's not pregnant yet, but my dad's afraid of ending up with three grandsons called William, Michael and Richard - Willie, Micky and Dick! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Imagine a foreigner trying to pronounce Bláthnaid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

maudgonner wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're not Irish? It's not at all unusual, although less common now than it would have been 20 years ago, even.

It's the feminine of Padraig, the Irish equivalent of Patricia.

I certainly am Irish, I'm actually from one of the counties that it's apparently common in! Genuinely never heard of it. Still think it's awful I'm afraid :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I certainly am Irish, I'm actually from one of the counties that it's apparently common in! Genuinely never heard of it. Still think it's awful I'm afraid :pac:

Fair enough, we all have our likes and dislikes :)

I was just genuinely surprised that people haven't heard of it, or have such a strong reaction to it when Padraig is so commonplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So that wasn't just in a Fr. Ted episode so ! :eek:
    There's a housing estate in Kildare town called Assumpta Villas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Jarick. After his grandads jack and Patrick.
    Muireann. I like most Irish names but Muireann sounds like a disease.

Adrian, just ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

tupenny wrote: »
    Jarick. After his grandads jack and Patrick.
    Muireann. I like most Irish names but Muireann sounds like a disease.

Adrian, just ugh

Funnily enough, it's very similar to a term used with fatal livestock diseases ; murrain. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's outrageous. I mean why can't everybody else be as perfect as Irish people at pronouncing names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It's outrageous. I mean why can't everybody else be as perfect as Irish people at pronouncing names.

How do you pronounce you user name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

There's a housing estate in Kildare town called Assumpta Villas.

Common enough I'd imagine; our nearby "Assumption Terrace" was usually called Consumption Terrace.

A local family had a fondness for nun-type names so called their daughters Roberta, Fidelma and Helena

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Many years ago there was baby in one of the wards. She was the daughter of Mr & Mrs Hole. With a surname like that you think they would be very careful in their name selection. If they had got that right it would not be memorable. They didn't.

The name they gave her was Phillipa.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I am not a hater of our beloved Irish culture. But I think we have some very stupid sounding names in the Irish Language like Odhrán, like put a B in front of it an you're a f&*cking percussion instrument.

You could say the same for Ethel Drumm and Ryan Gaulle. And Amber Inman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Tristan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Soviet names of the early period, tho. I found myself one night reading those on wikipedia and I was left kinda speechless. Engelsina. Barrikad. Dazdraperma. Honestly, what?

Tractor (seriously)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Donnchadh(sp) horrible name up there with Adrian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Tristan

I know a guy named Tristram.

Not only is it wanky, it has also left the unfortunate chap with the job of telling everyone he meets "No, not Tristan, TristRaM."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Tristan

Years ago, when in our late teens, i bumped into an old aquaintance. She showed me her tattoo with her daughters name. She was saying how she wanted another kid but she was single so she planned to take a guy home and get herself pregnant. Fast forward a year and i bump into her again, shes still single but Tristans name has been added to his sisters.

That name association has really stuck with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

And? "Won't something think of the poor foreigners" -- Imagine an Irish person trying to pronounce a dutch name correctly (I don't know something like Jelte or Eelse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I'm a foreigner and have never had a problem pronouncing Irish names, especially if the person has told me how their name is pronounced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Try to say his name and place where he was born:
    Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz born in Mszczonowieścice, Grzmiszczosławice, county Trzcinogrzechotnikowo :p:p:p:D

Anyway the worst name I heard was some Polish woman gave name Bryan but with Polish translation- BRAJAN (WTF???)

Try to say his name and place where he was born:
    Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz born in Mszczonowieścice, Grzmiszczosławice, county Trzcinogrzechotnikowo :p:p:p:D

Anyway the worst name I heard was some Polish woman gave name Bryan but with Polish translation- BRAJAN (WTF???)

Compared to Irish, it's not that tough.
    'J' seems to be pronounced 'Y' in all Slavic languages; it definitely also is in the Balkans.

Eg. a 'Brian Treacy' book

• Advertisement

Gyalist wrote: »
    I'm a foreigner and have never had a problem pronouncing Irish names, especially if the person has told me how their name is pronounced.

Our son's name is a 5 lettered name that most adults get wrong because they either read it first and then try to pronounce it from that or when they hear it, they try to map it a name/sound they already know. That's normal human grown up behaviour; we try to categorise new things into groupings we're already familiar with.

All his Junior Infant classmates can pronounce it perfectly because they all heard it before they could read and at that age their minds are very open to accepting new sounds/concepts. It's funny to hear the 5 years olds correct their parent's pronunciations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

josip wrote: »
    Our son's name is a 5 lettered name that most adults get wrong because they either read it first and then try to pronounce it from that or when they hear it, they try to map it a name/sound they already know. That's normal human grown up behaviour; we try to categorise new things into groupings we're already familiar with.

All his Junior Infant classmates can pronounce it perfectly because they all heard it before they could read and at that age their minds are very open to accepting new sounds/concepts. It's funny to hear the 5 years olds correct their parent's pronunciations.

That's true. I've lived here for a long time and I don't speak a word of Irish, but if someone has gone to the trouble of telling me the correct pronunciation of their name it is only good manners to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭deirdremf

js35 wrote: »
    Donnchadh(sp) horrible name up there with Adrian
    Gwan, tell us what Donnchadh did to yeh - did he leave yeh up the pole, or just refuse to go out with yeh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I am not a hater of our beloved Irish culture. But I think we have some very stupid sounding names in the Irish Language like Odhrán, like put a B in front of it an you're a f&*cking percussion instrument.
    What about the name Rob.
    If you put TH before it, it becomes Throb, how stupid is that like?
    If you swap a G for the R, it turns into Gob, and if you put KN in place of the R it becomes Knob.
    Just imagine being nicknamed Rob the Gob with the Throbbing Knob.
    Nuff said.

Gobnait
    Gertrude
    Cornelius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Triboro

Anselm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Knew a girl a few years ago, called Deborah Crossan.

She looked great in Stripes ;)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

my mates sister named their son Ira.. no shes not a republican,apparently its a jewish name and she likes it. Not a name i would have picked going by recent history in ireland. I can see a few awkard moments for him later on in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Gobnet (Irish name pronounced Gubnet)- WTF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

my mates sister named their son Ira.. no shes not a republican,apparently its a jewish name and she likes it. Not a name i would have picked going by recent history in ireland. I can see a few awkard moments for him later on in life.

Yeah, it's a pretty common Jewish name. Maybe a bit old-fashioned now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement