Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

italodisco wrote: »
    Folks, quick question.

I'm gonna do the interview tomorrow morning, did everyone suit up for the stage 2 interview?

Shirt and tie id imagine...

Looks presentable imo anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33 neevobeevo

Folks, quick question.

I'm gonna do the interview tomorrow morning, did everyone suit up for the stage 2 interview?

Yes dressed as if it was an in-person interview, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

Any tips for Stage 3 Interview & Presentation tomorrow please? The nerves are starting to kick in! 😬 TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

This thread is very comforting when needed. It is good to see others having the same wobbles as me!! Trying to gear myself up for the shortlisting and thought I was leaving it last minute by doing it tomorrow. Good luck folks and also those in the stage 3...

edit: I will also suit up as if in person interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Skweefie wrote: »
    This thread is very comforting when needed. It is good to see others having the same wobbles as me!! Trying to gear myself up for the shortlisting and thought I was leaving it last minute by doing it tomorrow. Good luck folks and also those in the stage 3...

edit: I will also suit up as if in person interview.

I'm a bag of nerves to be honest, I'd much rather be heading in to sit in front of a panel of interviewers as I'd have a bit more than 3 mins to get a good example across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

I'm a bag of nerves to be honest, I'd much rather be heading in to sit in front of a panel of interviewers as I'd have a bit more than 3 mins to get a good example across.

Bag of nerves too! Just finished it. The actual process works well thank goodness. I just read my examples from my application form - I didn't have any particularly good ones since applying. I think I missed a few small details from these examples to really hit home the questions, so I probably won't make it through to the next stage, but will defo keep trucking on!

Best of luck to everyone left to do Stage 2. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CJMB

Just wondering if it's only people remaining in their own dept who have been placed so far? Or if they are working there way up through the order of Merit and we have only had posts from people who are remaining in their own dept?? This waiting is fierce!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

I'm trying to do mine now. Has anyone had any issues with getting the browser to recognise the camera? I have tried on chrome and Edge on both my PC and laptop? I'm trying not to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AverageDave

I'm trying to do mine now. Has anyone had any issues with getting the browser to recognise the camera? I have tried on chrome and Edge on both my PC and laptop? I'm trying not to panic.

Are you using a work PC / laptop, could be a firewall issue blocking access, Have you a smartphone, can you try using the camera on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

I have experience in the private sector too and trying to condense it down into 1 minute 30 is proving challenging!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 daenis123

My work laptop has a little slide for privacy that actually covers the camera lens....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

daenis123 wrote: »
    My work laptop has a little slide for privacy that actually covers the camera lens....
    Are you using a work PC / laptop, could be a firewall issue blocking access, Have you a smartphone, can you try using the camera on that.

I rebooted my home pc several times and eventually it started working.

All done now , thankfully.

I rebooted my home pc several times and eventually it started working.

All done now , thankfully.

If anyone else has camera issues on work laptop, press ctrl alt delete, go into task manager and shut down Skype completely.

Sonru sees skype on and won't share the camera with it.

Did mine today, found it challenging to get everything into 3 minutes. I sounded like a horse racing commentator!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

I was having issues with mine where it wouldn’t support my browser. Tried with several ones several times but still couldn’t work. In the end I have to download the APP and use my phone.

I couldn’t bare looking back at myself once it’s done.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ck18

Just finished mine now.. I don’t know if I was the last to finish it but got there at least ��

Quick question, for those of us finishing up stage 2, tonight being the deadline, how long of a wait will there be until the results come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

If anyone else has camera issues on work laptop, press ctrl alt delete, go into task manager and shut down Skype completely.

Sonru sees skype on and won't share the camera with it.

Did mine today, found it challenging to get everything into 3 minutes. I sounded like a horse racing commentator!

Ah this made me laugh, do you think they play the Sunday Game Music or similar when they watch us to keep timeI dread to think what I sounded like rabbling along.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Does anybody from batch 2 have their stage 3 interviews this week or are they finishing up today?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Quick question, for those of us finishing up stage 2, tonight being the deadline, how long of a wait will there be until the results come out?

Hi Italodisco, I was in the batch before ye guys doing the video interviews and we still haven't received our results. Can't remember the exact date anymore, so maybe someone else here does but it seems like it's been 4-5 weeks now already. Someone on this thread emailed PAS and they said that they wouldn't release results until end of June? So who knows??!

caarp wrote: »
    Hi Italodisco, I was in the batch before ye guys doing the video interviews and we still haven't received our results. Can't remember the exact date anymore, so maybe someone else here does but it seems like it's been 4-5 weeks now already. Someone on this thread emailed PAS and they said that they wouldn't release results until end of June? So who knows??!

Okay this thread is confusing, I though there were folk from the 1st batch saying they had already done stage 3.

This threat is for the competition in the title, maybe folk should start separate threads for discussion on different comps!

Thanks for the update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Tinkerbell83

caarp wrote: »

Yup:rolleyes: - still waiting patiently for our results of the video interview - our closing date for Regionals was the 13th May - so its just over 5 week now and counting....But I would be quite confident that ye won't be waiting anywhere near this long, as Dublin has the bulk of vacancies and is the priority. I would say 2-3 week mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tinkerbell83

Okay this thread is confusing, I though there were folk from the 1st batch saying they had already done stage 3.

This threat is for the competition in the title, maybe folk should start separate threads for discussion on different comps!

Thanks for the update

Hiya, I believe we are all talking about the same competition: Interdepartmental HEO 2020. Batches have been split into two, 1) Dublin, and 2) all other Regions. Dublin have had one full batch through to stage 3 completed, possibly two I'm not sure - it does get a bit confusing! Regionals have completed first batch of stage 2 last month and are awaiting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Thanks for the update

Not talking about a different competition at all. There have been a few batches called in this competition already ahead of yours which has just finished stage 2, video shortlisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bcatt

interviews/ presentation for the second group in the Dublin competition are finishing today.
    PAS have informed me that the hope the results will issue before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

bcatt wrote: »
    interviews/ presentation for the second group in the Dublin competition are finishing today.
    PAS have informed me that the hope the results will issue before the end of the month.

Brilliant, thanks. The first batch only took a week to hear back about results. Looking at this thread their interviews finished up on a Friday and results were issued the following Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ojpwO

Hey do we know how many have been assigned depratments yet? I've passed stage 3 Dublin batch 1 just curious if anyone knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 daenis123

bcatt wrote: »

Sounds like these results for batch 2 from Dublin will issue before batch 1 regionals. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Anyone else who had am interview this week find it a very difficult interview. Lots of interrupting and not competency based questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Landlord21

redmgar wrote: »
    Anyone else who had am interview this week find it a very difficult interview. Lots of interrupting and not competency based questions?

That's to test you, how you respond to pressure and also to see if you become irritated etc...

As HEO you could be in charge of as many as 10,20 EO & CO. Different personalites etc... so it's important you are calm and collected under pressure.

My advice, although too late now, come back to the question (interupted one) and ask to finish your point. The panel are not there to make you fail, its a test of suitability for the role, and to weed out those building up a CV but can't be relatable when pushed*

I could be talking pony, but that's my 2cents. Never as bad as it seems, good luck.

*think of the Apprentice if you watched that show, when the candiates are grilled at interview stage, nobody wins, it's feedback to Lord Sugar with HOW they dealt with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Ck18

Ok so I want to start getting prepared for stage 3 interview if I make it through! Should I be focusing on the competencies and scenarios to match or is it totally different? All tips appreciated

Trying to get things together next week to avoid the stress and panic the week before!

Advertisement