Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Landlord21

Ck18 wrote: »
    Ok so I want to start getting prepared for stage 3 interview if I make it through! Should I be focusing on the competencies and scenarios to match or is it totally different? All tips appreciated

Trying to get things together next week to avoid the stress and panic the week before!

Normally competency based interview, that can change depending on the interview panel.

Practice practice practice, have some examples that may not be on your form outside work environment (volunteer, football coach etc.. )

Nerves are normal, keep answers tight, don't go "off script" pauses and lulls are normal. If you not 100% ask for clarification on a particular question.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DancingQueen1

Hi redmgar. I did my interview this week too and found that it was not competency based at all. I have no idea after it if I hit any of the competencies at all. Wasn't asked to give one example of my competencies at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Hi redmgar. I did my interview this week too and found that it was not competency based at all. I have no idea after it if I hit any of the competencies at all. Wasn't asked to give one example of my competencies at all.

Had a similar experience. Each competency started out by announcing the competency as you would expect then branched into a much more general interview.

How did we all find the presentation Q&A? I think one of my board members must have worked in my report's target Department because they asked some really tough questions and clearly had a good knowledge of the sector. They really went deep and didn't give me an inch on it. Very challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DancingQueen1

Yeah. I had the same experience. Lasted about 1 hour and 15 mins in total. Glad its behind me now. Won't be holding my breath on results.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Glad it wasn't just me, a lot of questions regarding strategy and policy. How did you find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Had a similar experience. Each competency started out by announcing the competency as you would expect then branched into a much more general interview.

How did we all find the presentation Q&A? I think one of my board members must have worked in my report's target Department because they asked some really tough questions and clearly had a good knowledge of the sector. They really went deep and didn't give me an inch on it. Very challenging.

Same, very detailed questioning regarding specific policies. Not sure how it can be scored on that

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

redmgar wrote: »
    Same, very detailed questioning regarding specific policies. Not sure how it can be scored on that

There are now two AOs in my division that have staff and I know of at least one HEO in the same division who works in a pure policy section. I wonder if the lines are getting blurred between these grades sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bcatt

daenis123 wrote: »
    Sounds like these results for batch 2 from Dublin will issue before batch 1 regionals. :-(

No I was in batch 1 for video shortlisting Dublin however batch one was broken in 100s for interview so technically interviews for batch 1.2 finished last Friday rather than batch 2 . Does that make sence sorry if Im not being clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

redmgar wrote: »
    Glad it wasn't just me, a lot of questions regarding strategy and policy. How did you find it?

Could you give some examples of the strategy / policy questions?

By pm even if you're not comfortable posting it here perhaps, would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Aoibhinkenny

Skweefie wrote: »
    I have experience in the private sector too and trying to condense it down into 1 minute 30 is proving challenging!!

I had exactly the same problem!!!! Nightmare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

To be honest, I wasn't holding out much hope of jumping from CO to HEO and was viewing this as a practice for future competitions. Like, never say never but I understand it is a jump. I just got my EO assignment notice to start after my shorter working year so YAY and just waiting on the results here so I can see how far I crashed and burned. Never say never I know but best to be realistic I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Haaaas anyone been assigned from stage 3 or know from PAS when it may be ?

I know I should be grateful that it’s gone so quick this far but I kinda just want to know at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 primadonnagirl

Results seem to be out for regionals....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoiferyan92

Haaaas anyone been assigned from stage 3 or know from PAS when it may be ?

I know I should be grateful that it’s gone so quick this far but I kinda just want to know at this stage.

I’d also love to know this, I was placed in the 40’s a few weeks ago when we got our stage 3 results and have heard nothing since! If you go back a few pages in this thread a couple of people who seem to be in the top 20 have said they’ve gotten their assignments about a week ago… hoping they get moving soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sarahlaois

Results seem to be out for regionals....

No results for me yet ...... that can't be good

• Registered Users Posts: 7 primadonnagirl

Sarahlaois wrote: »
    No results for me yet ...... that can't be good

I wouldn't worry I failed out so I'd say they're getting the rejects out of the way first ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Cork is out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bubblesforyou

Galway is out :) 17 for me on OOM. Didn't score very high on any of the competencies. Lucky to have go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedBarchetta

Wexford is out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hunter72

Galway is out :) 17 for me on OOM. Didn't score very high on any of the competencies. Lucky to have go through.

I got 14 in Galway. Reckon only a few will be called for here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭teaontap

Placed quite high on OOM for my area but my score seems quite low for each question. Making me panic a bit about how hard they are scoring for this panel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AverageDave

for those that passed, Have you gotten OOM for both Counties yet ? Or one a OOM for 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hunter72

for those that passed, Have you gotten OOM for both Counties yet ? Or one a OOM for 1 ?

Just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bubblesforyou

Just for the one area. Also my scores were much lower than I expected; 45/50/41/50 - i would have expected 60's and 70's as I put a huge amount into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Elpeep

Hmm a bit confused - I placed in the first batch for Dublin (I've even been assigned but still no word from the dept) and confirmed that I would take that spot rather than wait for my regional county. But today I got my OOM for Laois.

Also, I don't know if this is standard but it was the same results for competencies as my Dublin results for Stage 2.

This is my first time doing an Interdepartmental competition, is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭barryos1505

Limerick is out also

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

Got both location results. 2 in my first location and 1 in my second location. Delighted !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

I’d also love to know this, I was placed in the 40’s a few weeks ago when we got our stage 3 results and have heard nothing since! If you go back a few pages in this thread a couple of people who seem to be in the top 20 have said they’ve gotten their assignments about a week ago… hoping they get moving soon!

I'm a few spots ahead of you and I heard nothing yet either. Filled out my self declaration form a few weeks ago but heard nothing since then. Hopefully we won't have to wait much longer.

Good luck to everyone getting results today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Just for the one area. Also my scores were much lower than I expected; 45/50/41/50 - i would have expected 60's and 70's as I put a huge amount into it.

What was the pass mark for each competency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

Elpeep wrote: »
    Hmm a bit confused - I placed in the first batch for Dublin (I've even been assigned but still no word from the dept) and confirmed that I would take that spot rather than wait for my regional county. But today I got my OOM for Laois.

Also, I don't know if this is standard but it was the same results for competencies as my Dublin results for Stage 2.

This is my first time doing an Interdepartmental competition, is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. you would expect to be told where you placed in your second county once they reached that point also.
    Depending on your oom and how many they take to stage 3, you could also expect to get a placing then too.
    As you have accept the position in Dublin, you won't be offered a place.

Advertisement