Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat....
    This photo was taken yesterday. Note the man with the ladder. He is putting up the lights.

By the way I hope to have a lovely new set of placemats to grace my Christmas table, where I'll drink a toast to all the kind souls who helped me win!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I do not know who is going to win the quiz but I think Boroman has done a great job and the number of people looking at the Listowel Thread has greatly increased. In one week the number of views has gone from about 103,000 to over 108,000.

Thank you Boroman.

When the first lot of answers are put forward by boroman and the arguments start the numbers of " views" will greatly increase.

Thank you again Boroman. It is a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Well, the answers have been dispatched but me thinks they are no threat to Cherry Tree's placemats. :D

At last I've emailed my entry.
    Having toyed with it and worried it like a hungry greyhound with a bone, I am almost reluctant to part with it finally.
    Following clarification from the quizmaster, I find I am only allowed one entry so I have had, in some cases to take the most likely possibility of a selection suggested to me by new best friends.
    I here acknowledge the invaluable help of certain individuals whom I cannot name for fear of conceding advantage to my rivals but to whom I am very grateful.
    Thanks lads and be warned, I'll be back again next week.

Thanks Boroman, for cooking up such a wonderful quiz. I can't wait for the next round.
    Good luck to everyone else taking part.
    How our beloved Sandhill would have enjoyed this!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Boroman,
    Sent you my answers...all correct I hope !
    Let the forum know how many entries you get when you post the correct answers.

• Advertisement

Look what I found

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

ANSWERS TO ROUND 1

(1) 20th December 1880.
    (2) Canon Davis,died on 13/2/1911 and buried in front of main Altar
    (3) Matthew J Byrne, he died while opening a feis at Listowel Sportsfield.
    (4) Sive.
    (5) Jacko Lenihan, grandfather to Donal Lenihan (ex Irish and Lions player)
    (6) Moshin Walsh, great grandfather to the Dennehy brothers of Tralee who were
    signed by Sunderland and Everton football clubs.
    (7) Patrick Corbett.
    (8) A pumphouse built by CIE to pump water to Listowel railway station for the steam trains.
    (9) The Wonder Bakery.
    (10) O'Connors bar in upp.William St. to celebrate their centenary 1907-2007 with a
    sponsored race.
    (11) No 1 Main St. owned by Con Mc Carthy, occupied by The Kerryman.
    (12) Tanavalla House.
    (13) The O Grady family.
    (14) J.D. Keane (Barry and Grogans afterwards).
    (15) John Adams.
    (16) Tadhg Regan.
    (17) Lawlors bar, the square.
    (18) Cuthbertson Printers, first office in Ned Wilmots,Church St.
    (19) A greyhound (owned by Vangie Hanlon)who won a big stake at Wimbleton dog track.
    (20) Tom Somers of Convent St.

Question 2, I will allow anyone also with Fr. o Mahoney or Canon McDonnell even though they are in unmarked graves.
    Question 6, Moshin Walsh lived in O Connell's Ave, and was Father to Phil and the late Theresa Dennehy.
    Question 11, I can only allow Con Mc Carthy as owner.

No1 15 correct price of the pint.

No2 14 correct (joint) Lovely Writer and Cherry Tree

No3 13 correct Miss Cellaneous.

A TIGHT RACE, WHO HAS THE STAYING POWER.

Well done, Price of a Pint!!
    I always feared a dark horse overtaking me on the inside but fair dues to you. I will have to keep my cards closer to my chest in the next round. Only joking, since most of them are not my cards to begin with.
    Now Boroman, a few points of information.
    Since when does one man John Adams, count as a family. Trip to the dictionary required.
    C.I.E. came into existence in 1945. Was the pumphouse there before that?
    I think you should have allowed The Kerryman, even though I did not have it, since it is very hard to know who owns a building and the person who presented it at least knew the place. I opted for the wrong expert here, unless the Spillanes whom she remembers, an aunt and a niece previously had a shop in the Square.
    Thanks anyway and well done to all

• Advertisement

John Sheehy Memorial Quiz.
    Round 2.
    Sports Round.
    Weekend 29/30 November.

(1) How many All-Ireland medals were won by the late Tim Kennelly. ?
    (2) Name the Moyvane man who won the Aintree Grand National, name his horse and what year. ?
    (3) I won a town league medal with the Boro and I came 9th in a Olympic Marathon, who am I. ?
    (4) A famous Showjumper bred in the Listowel area and ridden by Sheamus Hayes won many international events, what was the horse's name and the name of the family who bred him. ?
    (5) Name the only Listowel man to own the winner of the Kerry National and name his horse. ?
    (6) True or False, Tadhg Kennelly was the first Kerryman to play in a AFL Grand Final. ?
    (7) Who was the first listowel man to win a international Rugby Cap for Ireland.?
    (8) Name the teams who played an International soccer game in Kennedy Park. ?
    (9) Name the year that the great Christy Ring played a hurling match in Listowel and who did he play for. ?
    (10) What Master became a national hero when he won a Derby. ?
    (11) What Listowel man played in the AFL with Melbourne Football Club. ?
    (12) The late Garry McMahon set what record in the 1962 All-Ireland Final which remains unbroken. ?
    (13) What Listowel event began in 1913, was held each June and finished in 1957.?
    (14) Who trained Feale Rangers to win their first senior county championship in 1978. ?
    (15) Two teams from the same parish contested the 1957 North Kerry League final, name them.?
    (16) There was a connection between the Down team of 1960 and the Lartigue railway, what was it. ?
    (17) For the re-opening of Pairc Mhic ****high in 1981 who were the visiting teams, hurling and football. ?
    (18) What Listowel man boxed heavyweight for Ireland. ?
    (19) What Gleanaphuka man has a football ground named in his honour. ?
    (20) Which team have won the most town leagues (a)Ashes (b)Boro (c) Clounmacon (d) An Gleann (e)Greenville (f)Pearses. ?
    Answers emailed to

emmetsabu

before weekend 13/14 December.

HAPPY ANSWERING.

Church Newsletter

Boroman re question 10 from round 1.
    I understand your answer as "mike the pies"......but ( the proverbial but) Prince Monolulu actually was at the races in 1958 and clebrated the 100th anniversary of the races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DoodleAvenue

As the fighting has begun I feel I have to share my disappointment in not even reaching the rankings. I can only imagine my email entry wasn't received. I include my original entry:

Boroman,

Congratulations for creating a wonderful quiz. You have damaged my liver after a week of bribing every sage in the town with drink. My advisors seem sure of the accuracy and are happy for me to use their answers but wanted to remain unnamed (even to me). My eyesight will never be the same from writing the answers down carefully on the back of fag packets in dimly light snugs not to mention the risk of lead poisoning stabbing myself several times with a blunt 2B in wet doorways. Most of my advisors suggest you are a clever but tricky whore and your questions were not as straight forward as they first appeared. I feel I have unravelled your cryptic puzzles with their help. The following are the answers carefully transcribed each morning. However I fear by morn my memory, handwriting and accuracy may have suffered equal blurring caused by drinking from wet glasses. Being also from the boro and an old neighbour, a kind marking scheme would be much appreciated.

1. Never! "rail" and "line" both being singular aka "mono rail". Listowel's monorail never went to Tralee only BallyB. Clever!
    2. Nobody. No liar is alone how can you tell a lie without someone else to listen to it. Tricky!
    3. Lord Listowel's entry into the 19:55 evening bumper Legal Agent fell at the first fence. When the crowds laughed he ordered no race be held that late again and cursed the races with dark evenings in Sept. It took over 100 years before a summer race meeting was allowed again although no one has yet suggested 19:55 race. This cost me a pack of 20 Major.
    4. Ms Joy from the Square married a travelling salesman Mr Glum. He finally convinced her to dye her hair red in Feb 2nd 1959. They showed me a picture on the wall pity it was in black and white.
    5. Ding dong was the name given to the grandfather clock in the old tech by school lad. It was sentenced to death by a young pup who took revenge for his beating when it claimed it was 9:45 as he walked in the door. The damaged carcass was recycled into a cabinet as a woodwork project and named "son of ding dong". When the tech moved a local lad who's name escapes me retrieved the weights and chains from the dump truck and became Listowel's first community games hammer thrower using the uncertified equipment. Given the face of the clock was long since smashed the grandfather without a face could never have seen he's third generation descendant win gold. I remember this one myself and needed no help.
    6. When people ask where they can now be seen everyone points at d'Sky. Tough one.
    7. The tinman of william street was a derogative name for Tae Lane. A derivation of "The tenement of William Street" suggesting Tae Laners to be below the William St folk. Damn right that place was a sewer!
    8. Obviously the town folk used it to avoid getting wet feet crossing the gloun. It's the old stone bridge that first bridged the gloun stream. It was demolished when they built the road you drive over.
    9. He called it "Work". I'm off to "work" he'd be heard saying apparently. Tough one that was.
    10. Ten of the 10 year olds from the national school went to celebrate their last week off school for the races by sneaking in disguised as jockeys. It was in the Kerryman.
    11. The Spillane's of course. The answer was in the question isn't that what they say.
    12. She called it "Home". You won't get me ya boyo!
    13. The bus stop. You'll see people arriving there most Friday evenings. Too obvious.
    14. The first Saturday evening mass in Listowel began seven minutes early to get a good run at the ceremony. The signpost for St Mary's has only recently been placed in the square for lost souls.
    15. The King of England. The A.R.M's get's it's name from Authorised Royal Majesty Hotel. Every town with a court needed one I'm told.
    16. By royal order the bar which holds the main door of a sieged castle was to be bent in two to illustrate the strength of the crown court. It can still be seen impaled in the wall opposite the castle.
    17. The Arms hotel. Authorised Royal Majesty Hotel. The lads thought you were getting lazy here repeating the reference but without their help I wouldn't have got it.
    18. The minister for justice's house. Who could forget the 400 yard munster champion relay team nicknamed: Cuthbertson Sprinters. They would practice on the only door to door stretch in town which was exactly 400 yard. Starting from the front door of the COURTHOUSE to the back door of Patrick's hall.
    19. Cloonemacon famed for street fighting led to its nick name Macon Row. The answer being "Macon Rows"/McEnroe. A masterful question worthy of putting some many letters after your name some wanted to call you "Boroman The Letterman".
    20. When the one way system was introduced into the town. The Crowleys of the corner shop fame were delighted they were no longer at the end of Church Street but were now at the beginning.

I have been promised clippings and photographic evidence to support my answers. Unfortunately my sources have left them at home each time I've seen them since. I'd say there's a book in them.

Thanks again for putting a great quiz together. I think Sandhill Road would have been in his element.

DoodleAvenue
    The more I read your answers, the more I laugh.
    Priceless.
    Bravo!
    Boroman should make a special award for your wit.
    Up the Ashes !!

Loved your answers Doodleavenue. I'm glad you let us all see them. I, for one, am starting a petition here and now to have you given a coaster as a consolation prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Boroman
    Putting the final pieces together, you have half of Listowel driven mad!
    Forum has been quiet of late, as probably all are diving into the books and pestering people for answers.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

My God...tough indeed!. That half of Listowel which lives abroad are driven mad, too.

Maybe " Sive " for that 1959 question AND Denis Guiney for " Races at 100 y/o " & [ ' Dagger '] McElligott for ' owner of Listowel Arms '.

Otherwise, stumped.

Good luck all.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DoodleAvenue

First clipping.

Doodle Syndrome
    Having just arrived back from a weekend sun holiday in Cuba I have again redigested The Doodle answers and I have to say
    that I am in total agreement with the sentiments of both Cherry Tree and our polltopper(SO FAR) Price of a Pint
    about an award.Having at last made contact with both Vincent Carmody and Maurice Whelan of www.irishoriginals.ie
    they have most kindly agreed to create and sponser an additional prize, this will be in the form of a specially designed
    and unique Tom Doodle tablemat, this will presented after our final round to the person who I consider to have presented
    the most humourous and entertaining answers.
    This will also be in honour of our esteemed townsman ,Thomas Doodle esquire, who through the now historic address to his
    fellow denizen's of our beloved town back in the Summer of 1951 did so much to inspire a new found confidence that has
    embellished Listowel people ever since. However more about Doodle anon. I finish with a few lines of the Doodle anthem.
    (1)
    Our song is sung for Doodle Tom, he made us free,
    He is no gom, our Doodle Tom,
    The champion of love and liberty,
    Three cheers for Tom, three beers for Tom,
    Three cheers and beers for Doodle and for victory.
    (2)
    He took the sick mans head away and gave us porter free,
    He topped the poll in old Listowel,
    And gave us polly goats to see,
    Three cheers for Tom, three beers for Tom
    Three cheers and beers for Doodle and for victory.
    Viva la Doodle.

"Those who do not learn from the mistakes of history are destined to repeat them."
    Following my regrettable outbursts of hubris in Round 1, I have learned my lesson.
    I am keeping my powder dry, consulting only bone fide sports experts, double checking answers and giving nothing away in conversation or print.
    So you shall hear nothing but silence from this corner until all the answers are in on Saturday next.
    I wish the best of luck to all my rivals.

• Advertisement

Question no. 17, Pairc Mhic S***high is Sheehy Park Listowel,
    it seems that the moderater thinks the Irish version is offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

boroman wrote: »
    Question no. 17, Pairc Mhic S***high is Sheehy Park Listowel,
    it seems that the moderater thinks the Irish version is offensive.

That's funny that the moderator should find the Irish version of Sheehy Park offensive, when on the same page, last time I looked, there was an ad for boards.ie's very own "feckoff giveaway'.

Round 2.
    Sports Round.
    Weekend 29/30 November.

(2) Name the Moyvane man who won the Aintree Grand National, name his horse and what year. ?
    (3) I won a town league medal with the Boro and I came 9th in a Olympic Marathon, who am I. ?
    (4) A famous Showjumper bred in the Listowel area and ridden by Sheamus Hayes won many international events, what was the horse's name and the name of the family who bred him. ?
    (5) Name the only Listowel man to own the winner of the Kerry National and name his horse. ?
    (6) True or False, Tadhg Kennelly was the first Kerryman to play in a AFL Grand Final. ?
    (7) Who was the first listowel man to win a international Rugby Cap for Ireland.?
    (9) Name the year that the great Christy Ring played a hurling match in Listowel and who did he play for. ?
    (12) The late Garry McMahon set what record in the 1962 All-Ireland Final which remains unbroken. ?
    (13) What Listowel event began in 1913, was held each June and finished in 1957.?
    (14) Who trained Feale Rangers to win their first senior county championship in 1978. ?
    (15) Two teams from the same parish contested the 1957 North Kerry League final, name them.?
    (16) There was a connection between the Down team of 1960 and the Lartigue railway, what was it. ?
    (17) For the re-opening of Pairc Mhic ****high in 1981 who were the visiting teams, hurling and football. ?
    (20) Which team have won the most town leagues (a)Ashes (b)Boro (c) Clounmacon (d) An Gleann (e)Greenville (f)Pearses. ?
    Answers emailed to

emmetsabu

HAPPY ANSWERING.
    A little easier this time for some...i was never a sporting type so i feel I will not be in the lead for long.
    Come on lads and lasssies !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

well price of a pint i think i gave you enough of a head start.I had 1 correct answer in round 1,that was after taking a week to remember where the castle bar was and then remembering teigh regan hitting someone with a mallit when i was a kid.before your time i think.I might do lots better this time.Up to 10 solid answers this time.I must phone -a-friend at kevins who knows his sports.

Round 2.
    Sports Round.
    Weekend 29/30 November.

Answers emailed to

emmetsabu

HAPPY ANSWERING.

Listowel8
    Good to hear you have 10 solid answers. I'm playing my cards close so I will not divulge my solids.
    All the views at this site must make for lots of contestants.
    Looking forward to Doodleavenue's response for round 2.

The new quiz seems to have brought new players to the field while some of the more experienced are at this stage keeping their cards close to the chest.Listowel 8 seems a little cocky and I will recommend extreme caution on his part especially as he says that he intends giving someone a tinkle in Kevins, I may not be right but reading between the lines a little birdie told me that a certain sporty gent who frequents a certain bar has been retained by no less than 4
    would be contributors to the quiz and if one is not on top of his Christmas card mailing list then one could pay the price and could end up at the wrong side of what our old friends from Astor days would have called a forked tongue.

Round 2.
    Sports Round.
    Weekend 29/30 November.

Answers emailed to

emmetsabu

HAPPY ANSWERING.
    I have cajoled, googled and begged for answers. My library of books is dog eared from my grubby fingers.
    If I could get my hands on a copy of the original " Listowel an it's Vicinity" I may survive a fighting chance.

Still

Just a thought for today, the feast of St.Nicholas.

He came from a wealthy family and decided to give all his money to the poor. He always did so quietly and without fuss. He would drop some gold coins down the chimney of those who were really poor.

This tit bit might to useful to quizz buffs in future.

I'm maintaining my dignified silence on the subject of Round 2. Despite a mischiefmaker giving me false information about Christy Ring having a holiday home in Ballybunion and playing hurling for Crotta, I'm doing quite nicely.
    It pains me to hear of my rival in such a quandary but I will not be lending my precious copy of Listowel and its Vicinity to anyone with grubby paws.

Church Newsletters

• Advertisement

"not on top of his Christmas card mailing list then one could pay the price "

I am watching very carefully and I wonder if boroman is referring to "The Price of a Pint".

Advertisement