Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Champion of Champions - 2nd-8th November on ITV4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Steve Peters certainly earns his money with that particular client.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Think there might have been a bit to it. Fair enough Ronnie was gracious enough in his interview. Mark's logo did seem to be peeling off earlier in the match, he was fiddling a bit with it and Ronnie wasn't up for it at 3-5 down so he went off on one.

Just scanning through the frame and you can see Allen is standing up a good few times when O'Sullivan is shooting back down the table. I also noticed he's walking in for his turn in front of Ronnie while the balls are still moving. Not sure it's enough to warrant going off on one though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The shot ronnie was talking about when the argument was in full swing, allen was definitely standing a bit close to the table, no question about it. But why he picked the moment he did to go off on one is hard to say as allen seems to be sitting quietly in his seat at that point, though the camera isn't on him so impossible to say exactly what triggered ronnie at that very moment. Ronnie only refers to the previous incident, at considerable length it has to be said, as they argue so there doesn't seem to be any suggestion of a further transgression by allen. Almost like it's still broiling in his mind and he eventually just erupts. Very nasty business all told, clearly longstanding bad blood there i would imagine.

When Ronnie was down on the shot that led to the outburst, Allen was fiddling with his sponsor badge. ITV showed both in the one shot from another camera.

• Advertisement

There's definitely 2 or 3 occasions that last frame where allen is standing a bit close to the table as ronnie is striking. No question. The time allen fouls, he then stays standing behind the table, actually closer to ronnies side which definitely irks ronnie. So there's definitely an issue there which i think Ronnie should have raised earlier than he did, especially If, as he said, it was happening earlier in the match. Same with anto mcgill really.

Might be an idea if all players were instructed to sit down between every shot, just to avoid all doubt about this, at least as long as restrictions are in place and any movement at all can seem that much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Here is a clip of the Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Allen row.

Ref clearly says "I know you didn't do anything" to Allen @00:55

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Between his rant against the newer players a while back, and now this, I think Ronnie needs to up his meds or take a break from the game.

There's a couple of links below don't look great for allen frankly. I believe ronnie does not go about it the right way at all, but that's not an excuse for way mark is going on there. Disappointing really.

https://twitter.com/OOCSnooker/status/1324619622163906560?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

All a bit of a storm in a teacup really. I don't really see why Ronnie reacted like he did. There was no need for it. It looked bad when he confronted Mark and it only ended up scrambling his brain which more than likely lead to him missing that simple red.

It's a bit much from Ronnie especially as he's been involved in two blatant cheating contoversies in the last couple of years that were a thousand times worse than this perceived mind games or play acting by Allen. Looks like just a bit of carelessness at worst from Mark.

• Advertisement

All a bit of a storm in a teacup really. I don't really see why Ronnie reacted like he did. There was no need for it. It looked bad when he confronted Mark and it only ended up scrambling his brain which more than likely lead to him missing that simple red.

It's a bit much from Ronnie especially as he's been involved in two blatant cheating contoversies in the last couple of years that were a thousand times worse than this perceived mind games or play acting by Allen. Looks like just a bit of carelessness at worst from Mark.

Very reminiscent of this craic between McGill and Clarke in the WC.

Blondini wrote: »
    Between his rant against the newer players a while back, and now this, I think Ronnie needs to up his meds or take a break from the game.

He just loves the attention I think. Annoying at times.

In fairness to him Ronnie really knuckled down and improved as a player. Since he got older and his family life became settled and he got professional help from outside snooker and within, he was able to fulfil his talent.
    I never thought he would, to be honest.

However, Ronnie, will always be prone to the odd explosion or hissy fit. It is just in his make up.

I doubt there will be another Ronnie type player as gifted, within the next 30-40 years. So we should be thankful he is still playing and still producing good stuff.

1 apiece. Selby having the best of it so far. Robbo playing Selby at his own game so far; strangely enough, as 'Angles' alluded to earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Yeah, even though it’s 2-2 I feel if the pattern of this match continues Selby has the advantage. Robertson could do with playing a little more aggressively.

Dead right.. Robbo the 'better' player (speaking generally) nowadays, and a heavy break builder - last frame prime example. He should play a bit looser early on - Selby not guaranteed to 'cash in'. Don't think he even had a ton in the Wilson match.

Don't think I've seen Mark miss a roll in from close to the black cushion this week. Really is a master tactician all around. Plays the reds dead weight to give the ball every chance of going in, with the seemingly friendly cushions/felt/angle of drop, or whatever, and gravity taking over at the end.

Really has that side of the game down. Neil deffo needs to get them opened up earlier on, as the longer the frame - to point out the obvious - the more one fancies the jester to steal it. Hope Neil wins.

Very high quality match. Hendry seems a little in awe of Selby's game in commentary. And he doesn't give praise out willy nilly.

Selby seemed to be pointing to being hampered by the green as an excuse for missing that easy red. Poor excuse Mark. No need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Both Selby and Robertson are playing fantastic tonight. Impossible to predict a winner here.

Brilliant match. Two top players playing close to their best.

• Advertisement

Neil Robertson’s cue action really is a tremendous feat of engineering.

That was an insane red to help Robbo get another century. Incredible double. What a match!

Yeah, unbelievable shot on that 14th red.

That was an insane red to help Robbo get another century. Incredible double. What a match!
    Rothko wrote: »
    Yeah, unbelievable shot on that 14th red.

It was like a Mark Williams shot at the pace he played it. I started laughing.
    Selby looks like getting another century.

It is like watching a computer game. I am starting to wonder is the table playing easy???

Going to a decider. I think it always looked like it was going this way.

So far the takeaway for me from this comp from the players' perspective is some excellent play by the World's number 1, a fantastic 'return to form' for Mark Allen, Selby and Robbo back to their best (although Mark's been out of the doldrums for a while I suppose, and Neil's been pretty good as well of late) , Kyren Wilson not really up to the mark, and Shaun Murphy all over the gaff.

All in all, one of the best, high quality comps for quite a while.

Tables playing like a dream - this could well account for the quality.

An enthralling match atm, which should go down to the wire if Mark capitalises here, and tomorrow looks like it could be a 'match for the ages' (on paper at least).

The big story, unfortunately will be Ronnie's shenanigans - but that's all it is: a story.

Snooker fans will just remember the high quality, and no story can take from that.

A little early for a comp synopsis, but what the hey :pac:

Now sit back and watch the decider. Am warming to Selby, and wouldn't begrudge him winning tonight. He's a lot less ponderous, so that's a plus.

Neil Robertson’s cue action really is a tremendous feat of engineering.

He is real calculating in his shots on top of that. I remember him saying he analyses opponents weak/strong side of the table for certain shots.
    Machine like when he gets going.

Shame there’s only one frame left...

The big story, unfortunately will be Ronnie's shenanigans - but that's all it is: a story.

I hope not. Love watching Ronnie play of course but I hate all that crap that he gets up to. It takes away from the game.

• Advertisement

Hendry calling for a safety exchange the world has gone mad! Never mind covid!

Advertisement