Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if there is no cure?

Options
  • 06-04-2020 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

The common cold is also a coronavirus, there has been no prevention or cure for this for centuries. So what if there’s no cure for Covid-19? Do we stay on lockdown for life and watch our economies and mental states dwindle, or just accept that grandma’s gotta go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The common cold is also a coronavirus, there has been no prevention or cure for this for centuries. So what if there’s no cure for Covid-19? Do we stay on lockdown for life and watch our economies and mental states dwindle, or just accept that grandma’s gotta go?

I think you know the answer, everyone eventually gets it over a period of time and based on the most solid number currently available, 0.5% of the population die in the best case scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

It's an interesting question.

The normal flu can cause up to 1000 deaths a year in Ireland and even with vaccines etc. people still catch it.

Even if we do get a vaccine there will be different strains and no one will ever be fully immune like the chicken pox.

I think people with underlying conditions and the elderly will need to wear face masks and goggles whenever they are out in public for a long long time.

Its horrible to think about to be honest but i reckon it will be around the 1% mark whoever catches it.

We can't put the country on hold forever.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The common cold is also a coronavirus, there has been no prevention or cure for this for centuries.

Not quite. There are a few varieties of coronavirus that cause cold like symptoms, but the vast majority of colds are caused by rhino viruses. Rhino viruses mutate rapidly and there are so many varieties that there is no way to easily create a vaccine. Added to that, it's not necessarily a case of being 'impossible', but rather it’s a waste of time and money to develop vaccines for just one let alone hundreds of non-life threatening viruses.

On the other hand, a vaccine for COVID-19, which is caused by a specific coronavirus, is comparatively easier. There is one (possibly 2) virus and pre-existing data to start with (SARS research) in creating the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Must reports suggest it's quiet stable so won't mutate reach year. So once you're immune, you stay immune

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The common cold is not a coronavirus, it's a HRV (human rhinovirus).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Must reports suggest it's quiet stable so won't mutate reach year. So once you're immune, you stay immune
    Not quite D, or at least length of immunity is still an unknown variable. In those who contracted and survived SARS, a similar virus, most had antibodies after two years, some out to three, but IIRC that dropped off after that time. I'll try and dig up the study on it. Then again if most people in the world gained immunity through either catching and surviving the virus or through a vaccine the potential pool for hosts would fall off a cliff and the virus would be homeless. Even if that immunity only lasted a few years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Diarmuid wrote:

It's already mutated 8 times, to some extent, that we know of in the last 4 or 5 months. As of 2 weeks ago there were 8 separate strains of the virus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's where the mutations occur is the thing I gather. If the mutations are "internal" not on the protein coating then immunity/vaccines will keep working, but if the protein coating mutates it becomes less recognisable to the host's immune system. Measles mutates like all viruses do, but one dose of it, or a vaccination and you're essentially covered for life.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

It's a tough one. We can't sit here forever, our money loving economy is dying on its feet right now. That said, I don't want anyone to die from some uppity virus either. Where's the balance?

The balance is where the we discover that we do actually all care for one another, albeit in a slightly impersonal way.

Interesting about the economy... apparently it has to grow all the time. Like us. But growth for the sake of growth is the philosophy of cancer.

I dunno, to be blunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Interesting about the economy... apparently it has to grow all the time. Like us. But growth for the sake of growth is the philosophy of cancer.

Many economic commentators use this anology, there's an element of truth in it, are we just slowly killing ourselves with all this growth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

This is probably the best explanation of the purpose of a virus, if it persists then it will most likely mutate into something milder over a period of time - so it can live with us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

What if it's like Spanish flu?
    Spanish flu targeted the old and infirm its first year too.
    What if next year it roars back targeting the young?
    Is it time to say juniors gotta go then too?
    Better to beat it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's a conversation we should definitely have. In one way we should dave had this conversation before the lock down. But I also think that if the governments all around the world had been completely upfront at the beginning and told everyone that they were going into a kind of lock down for 2 or 3 months, only going outside for food and exercise, then people might have bucked. So they had to do it in increments to get people used to each set of changes before introducing further changes.

Eventually we might have to make the decision to just go back out and accept the fact that people will die at a higher rate then if we all.stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect over if it is not gone in a couple of months we will all be exposed to it and a large proportion have contacted minor doses already. It may be by contacting a small amount our bodies learn to deal with it and build up immunity. The biggest danger seem be people who have being on prolonged medication.

I met a friend the other day who was out with dog. This friend is the head nurse in local ICU. We were keeping our social distance.
    The dog was not on a lead as we were beside friends house, during the course of chat i mentioned the dog and covid 19 as dog was beside me and i was aware of this so i mentioned it.
    They said animals do not carry viruses, i accepted this completely as from a professional.
    This morning i read that a 4 year old tiger in New York has being diagnosed with Covid 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I reckon a big reason for that is that the common cold is generally a very mild, self-limiting illness. So the impetus to find a cure just never was there. Coronavirus 'mild' and common cold 'mild' seem to be two very different things.

Apparently some people can die from a cold but it seems incredibly rare.

The dog was not on a lead as we were beside friends house, during the course of chat i mentioned the dog and covid 19 as dog was beside me and i was aware of this so i mentioned it.
    They said animals do not carry viruses, i accepted this completely as from a professional.
    This morning i read that a 4 year old tiger in New York has being diagnosed with Covid 19.

The dog can carry it on their coat and rub against your leg or you pet the dog and then you bring it back to your house - or the other way around and your friend brings it back to their house.

If you kept your distance from your friend in case you might transfer it between you, then the same needs to apply to the dog.

You can carry it on your clothes but your clothes can’t get sick. Of course the dog could have it on their coat even if they couldn’t get sick

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

GM228 wrote: »
    The common cold is not a coronavirus, it's a HRV (human rhinovirus).

There's still a large minority of common colds caused by coronaviruses, around 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It'll become milder in time so one won't know if it is a cold or Chinese Bat Flu.

Medical treatments will vastly reduce the fatality rate.

Hand sanitizer and masks will be everywhere after the lockdown.

5 minute tests, home tests will be everywhere and used for every sniffle.

All within 8 to 10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I did not keep distance as the person said dogs not carry, i actually thought same as you you until they said dogs not carry.
    Anyway not much i can do now, there is a good chance i may have contacted as i returned from one of the countries which has being seriously effected 3 weeks ago.
    I did stay home as it was just then we all started to realize that this was a serious. Buses. trains planes etc are lethal....

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

There is a possibility of an easy cure with the use of 3 different medicines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zer6omW0vnU

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's already mutated 8 times, to some extent, that we know of in the last 4 or 5 months. As of 2 weeks ago there were 8 separate strains of the virus.
    The 'flu mutates 8-10 times a month. Its called viral genetic drift (and "shift")...its responsible for the difficulty in vaccinating against it.
    COVID mutates about 1-2 times a month it seems. Remember, not all mutations will cause vaccines to stop working. If its not a big mutation (which likely renders the virus non-functioning anyway) or a mutation in the protein/RNA/whatever the immunes system uses to recognise it, then the vaccine continues to be effective.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It's a conversation we should definitely have. In one way we should dave had this conversation before the lock down. But I also think that if the governments all around the world had been completely upfront at the beginning and told everyone that they were going into a kind of lock down for 2 or 3 months, only going outside for food and exercise, then people might have bucked. So they had to do it in increments to get people used to each set of changes before introducing further changes.

Eventually we might have to make the decision to just go back out and accept the fact that people will die at a higher rate then if we all.stayed at home.
    But its not just "the same people dead at a higher rate". Thats just not true. When the italians maxed out their healthcare system their CFR (case fatality rate) sky rocketed.

Not having ICU/Ventilator beds is a disaster and many many more people will needlessly die. Its not the same number of people, just quicker.

It seems that the virus is considered to be very stable, ie little mutation

Which is not the same as no mutation, you can be certain that there are multiple strains in Ireland now.

Just not enough to concern immunologists or those racing to a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Danzy wrote: »
    It seems that the virus is considered to be very stable, ie little mutation

Which is not the same as no mutation, you can be certain that there are multiple strains in Ireland now.

Just not enough to concern immunologists or those racing to a vaccine.

and you cannot catch it from pets - unless you have a bat or civid cat or camel in your luving room in which case you have far greater problems.

Current stats are running at 2% death. For Iteland that would be what 40,000 people. Time to stop the local authority councils charging a thousand euro to JCB dig a 6 foot grave open and to start externally regulating the small group of families that run the funeral industries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

The Chinese will have a vaccine in a few months time to sell us.

Podge201 wrote: »
    The Chinese will have a vaccine in a few months time to sell us.

There are several vaccines already in human trials and over 50 being worked on.

It's not considered a highly complex virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

There's a whole new dimension to this virus now with the human to animal transmission confirmed today.
    A Covid-19 infected zoo employee transmitted the virus to a tiger in the Bronx zoo, and other animals in the zoo now have it also.

I have seen confirmation of a transmission to the tiger but only of a "coronavirus". Cats are already known to be susceptible to a variety of coronaviruses but I havent seen it confirmed that its COVID 19. If it is (and it may well be), the paper I read on the topic was clear that cat-to-human transmission isnt proved (it also may well be, but it hasnt been researched yet so we dont know either way).

Zoonotic diseases are relatively rare. Viruses dont like humans to begin with (we have very elaborate and nasty immune systems) and tend to want to stay within a species. There are some that can jump species for sure, but we're not sure yet if this is one that can jump from cat to humans.

Edit: for example, heres an NCBI study from 1993 about coronavirus transmission to cats: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8380655

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

DeVore wrote: »
    I have seen confirmation of a transmission to the tiger but only of a "coronavirus". Cats are already known to be susceptible to a variety of coronaviruses but I havent seen it confirmed that its COVID 19. If it is (and it may well be), the paper I read on the topic was clear that cat-to-human transmission isnt proved (it also may well be, but it hasnt been researched yet so we dont know either way).

Zoonotic diseases are relatively rare. Viruses dont like humans to begin with (we have very elaborate and nasty immune systems) and tend to want to stay within a species. There are some that can jump species for sure, but we're not sure yet if this is one that can jump from cat to humans.

Edit: for example, heres an NCBI study from 1993 about coronavirus transmission to cats: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8380655

From the Zoo themselves:-

https://newsroom.wcs.org/?_ga=2.73784145.2118705509.1586164888-971338039.1586164888
    Nadia, a 4-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo, has tested positive for COVID-19. She, her sister Azul, two Amur tigers, and three African lions had developed a dry cough and all are expected to recover

If that's not enough the US Department of Agriculture has also confirmed it:-

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/news/sa_by_date/sa-2020/ny-zoo-covid-19
    The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Veterinary Services Laboratories has confirmed SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19 in humans) in one tiger at a zoo in New York. This is the first instance of a tiger being infected with COVID-19. Samples from this tiger were taken and tested after several lions and tigers at the zoo showed symptoms of respiratory illness.

There has also been officiial confirmation in two dogs released by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department in Hong Kong previously.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    But its not just "the same people dead at a higher rate". Thats just not true. When the italians maxed out their healthcare system their CFR (case fatality rate) sky rocketed.

Not having ICU/Ventilator beds is a disaster and many many more people will needlessly die. Its not the same number of people, just quicker.

Sure. It's what I said "people will die at a higher rate then if we all stayed at home. For example 5% death rate is a higher rate than 2% death rate. And that's the conversation we ought to have sooner or later, no matter how unpleasant it might be to think about.

If we go into a big recession when this is over, and have to cut spending on the health service by 20%. That would also bring a higher death rate. So it's not a clear cut answer and we should have the discussion

Advertisement