Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if there is no cure?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If there is no cure we will just live with it until there is herd immunity in a few generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

If there is no cure we will just live with it until there is herd immunity in a few generations.

A few ... generations? :confused:

I thought we'd get it when 60% of the population gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

If no cure is found then it might disappear just like sars did, of which no cure was found and btw, sars originated in china also.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A few ... generations? :confused:

I thought we'd get it when 60% of the population gets it

Immunity for other coronaviruses lasts for between a few months and a couple of years. Unlikely we will ever develop herd immunity to SARS-CoV-2.

ek motor wrote: »
    Immunity for other coronaviruses lasts for between a few months and a couple of years. Unlikely we will ever develop herd immunity to SARS-CoV-2.

Aren't we absolutely fúcked without herd immunity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Why do people keep saying it mutates fast when in fact it is slow, drives me around the bend. Where are your facts ?

Here's a little link for you

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutation-rate.html

Cool. I see you absorb news with speed and ease. Then you should also wonder about its ability to jump from animals to people and then infect whole world in less than 3 months with over 30 different strains already.
    This virus in quite new and what you perceive as a "fact" may not be so in a few days. There are scientists who think it is fast and others who think it is slow it is all a matter of perspective.
    Truth is there are different strains and if we look at flu vaccination for example that show us that you can get sick even with a vaccine taken so people should not expect that some miracle vaccine is going to put it all away.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    All that lovely vit D from the sun didn't help the Italians or Spanish?

Oh but it did. And still it is. You need to realize that this virus while attacking everyone is having different effect on people. There are people who do have it and do not experience any inconvenience as their body fight it off with ease.
    Assymptomatic carriers arent some mythical breed of people - their immune system just works fine so in most of the cases they do not even know they have it. Some other people have a bit of temperature or headache for a day or few and that is it.
    Then there are other people mostly old with 2 or more other underlying health issues and they are the ones who are struggling with it.
    Even common cold can put someone in ICU while others will walk it off while still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

patnor1011 wrote: »

Then you should also wonder about its ability to jump from animals to people and then infect whole world in less than 3 months with over 30 different strains already.
    This virus in quite new and what you perceive as a "fact" may not be so in a few days. There are scientists who think it is fast and others who think it is slow it is all a matter of perspective.

What scientists think it mutates fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

No evidence yet recovered Covid patients cannot be reinfected - WHO
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0425/1134740-virus-toll-nears-200-000-as-un-calls-for-global-vaccine/

In a statement, the United Nations heath agency warned against issuing "immunity passports" or "risk-free certificates" to people who have been infected, saying the practice may actually increase the risk of spread as they may ignore standard advice.

Too early it seems to waste billions on mass rollout of testing (if meant to issue immunity digital certificates), until evidence of immunity actually exists in any meaningful way.
    Wave2 is forecast for November, might want to wait until that passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Not sure how this is even a discussion since multiple ant viral drugs are already being trialed. We'll have effective treatment soon.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Not sure how this is even a discussion since multiple ant viral drugs are already being trialed. We'll have effective treatment soon.

Have you read the thread?

• SARS 1 from 2013 still hasn't got an effective vaccine
    • Covid 19 has already mutated into other strains. What if an anti viral drug starts being effective and then the bastárd mutates into a strain that needs another year of research to beat?
    • How long before any of these trials get out of the lab? I've read more than once that 90% of all lab tests never get past the lab

Aren't we absolutely fúcked without herd immunity?

No, there's the possibility of an effective vaccine or anti-viral drugs being developed.

No, there's the possibility of an effective vaccine or anti-viral drugs being developed.

And, in keeping with the thread's title, what if there's none?

And, in keeping with the thread's title, what if there's none?

I'd imagine a dramatically reduced life expectancy, permanent social distancing of some sort, PPE becoming compulsory. The end of life as we knew it. Possibly an extinction level event, if reinfection proves possible and deadlier due to already damaged organs.

I hope there's a vaccine or effective treatment for this soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I'd imagine a dramatically reduced life expectancy, permanent social distancing of some sort, PPE becoming compulsory. The end of life as we knew it. Possibly an extinction level event, if reinfection proves possible and deadlier due to already damaged organs.

An extinction level? Ah here. When the numbers completely drop Worst case scenario is older people and people with underlying conditions will need to be ultra careful in their day to day lives. That's the worse case scenario.

The restrictions are going to be gradually lifted next month.

I'd imagine a dramatically changed lifestyle, proper nutrition. Less chemicals and preservatives in our food, water, air... That way we beat this virus and many other ailments.

p.s. And no, I will not vote for greens as what they propose is nothing short of global economic suicide.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I'd imagine a dramatically changed lifestyle, proper nutrition. Less chemicals and preservatives in our food, water, air... That way we beat this virus and many other ailments.

p.s. And no, I will not vote for greens as what they propose is nothing short of global economic suicide.

How does any of that 'beat' this virus ? This virus is already absolutely flooring even relatively young and healthy people. The only way this virus will be 'beaten' is with a vaccine or totally effective anti viral drugs.

Have you read the thread?

• SARS 1 from 2013 still hasn't got an effective vaccine
    • Covid 19 has already mutated into other strains. What if an anti viral drug starts being effective and then the bastárd mutates into a strain that needs another year of research to beat?
    • How long before any of these trials get out of the lab? I've read more than once that 90% of all lab tests never get past the lab

The mutations seen so far aren’t enough to stop a vaccine from being effective. Just because you read random information somewhere doesn’t make it true. We’ll have drugs in a few months and a vaccine next year. If only one of the many drugs being trialled is effective that’s enough, but there’ll be multiple. The flu mutates every year (segmented genome) and we just come up with a new vaccine every year. Coronaviruses are different so that likely won’t be necessary. Vaccine should be effective for many years. But even if we have to make a new vaccine every year that is what will happen.

You’re right about SARS 1 having no vaccine though and yet it has been essentially eliminated or at least massively suppressed. HIV also has no vaccine but most HIV sufferers can live relatively full lives now due the quality of treatments available. There are other solutions even without a vaccine but a vaccine is the quickest way back to normal.

The mutations seen so far aren’t enough to stop a vaccine from being effective. Just because you read random information somewhere doesn’t make it true. We’ll have drugs in a few months and a vaccine next year. If only one of the many drugs being trialled is effective that’s enough, but there’ll be multiple. The flu mutates every year (segmented genome) and we just come up with a new vaccine every year. Coronaviruses are different so that likely won’t be necessary. Vaccine should be effective for many years. But even if we have to make a new vaccine every year that is what will happen.

What is your source for any or all of that?

SARS 1 from 2013 still hasn't got an effective vaccine - in 17 years. My point still stands.

Why should SARS 2 (Covid) be ok to vaccinate against when they couldn't find one for SARS 1?

• Advertisement

You’re right about SARS 1 having no vaccine though and yet it has been essentially eliminated or at least massively suppressed. HIV also has no vaccine but most HIV sufferers can live relatively full lives now due the quality of treatments available. There are other solutions even without a vaccine but a vaccine is the quickest way back to normal.

SARS 1 is like a mild cold compared to SARS 2 (Covid). It was reletively easily eliminated, it didn't spread anywhere near as much as Covid. There's no comparison

As for HIV? Seriously?

When could you last catch HIV by someone coughing on you or you putting your hand on the wrong surface?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

How does any of that 'beat' this virus ? This virus is already absolutely flooring even relatively young and healthy people. The only way this virus will be 'beaten' is with a vaccine or totally effective anti viral drugs.

Dear oh dear oh dear my poor man.

Go and find your tinfoil.

The percentage of young and healthy people who have dies is absolutely tiny.

My goodness it's a long time since I've seen such nonsense my poor friend.

I'd strongly advise taking a walk in the fresh air my poor friend.

These claims are incredibly outlandish nonsense on a great, massive napoleonic scale.

I could explain the reality to you but what's the point.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

trapp wrote: »
    Dear oh dear oh dear my poor man.

Go and find your tinfoil.

The percentage of young and healthy people who have dies is absolutely tiny.

My goodness it's a long time since I've seen such nonsense my poor friend.
    I'd strongly advise taking a walk in the fresh air my poor friend.

These claims are incredibly outlandish nonsense on a great, massive napoleonic scale.

I could explain the reality to you but what's the point.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Your condescending attitude really isn't helping. Covid is indeed flooring young people. It's putting fit people who've done Triathlons and fitness instructors in the fúcking ICU!

Dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. Etc

Your condescending attitude really isn't helping. Covid is indeed flooring young people. It's putting fit people who've done Triathlons and fitness instructors in the fúcking ICU!

Dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. Etc

The exceptions that prove the rule my poor man.

All of the evidence and experts agree that covid in the majority of cases is a serious illness for our older population or less often younger people with poor health or who are quite ill already.

It doesn't put young healthy people in the icu my poor man.

I suggest you remove your tinfoil and stop scarmonegering.

We're all aware of the seriousness of the virus.

However making it worse than it is is quite unneccessary my man.

An extinction level event as you and another poor man suggested is napoleonic hyperbolic nonsense on an incredible scale.

What is your source for any or all of that?

SARS 1 from 2013 still hasn't got an effective vaccine - in 17 years. My point still stands.

Why should SARS 2 (Covid) be ok to vaccinate against when they couldn't find one for SARS 1?

SARS 1 didn't cause a pandemic so a vaccine wasn't needed. A vaccine for SARS 1 actually was in the works but it was shelved when the epidemic subsided. It took them 4 months to sequence the SARS 1 genome, were much faster at that today and as I type there about 60 different research groups working on a vaccine for SARS 2. Trials have already started https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52394485

Sorry to burst your bubble :o

I'm not familiar with the south china morning post but there's good basic info in this article https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3051853/there-was-no-vaccine-sars-or-mers-will-there-be-one-new

The exceptions that prove the rule my poor man.

It doesn't put young healthy people in the icu my poor man.

However making it worse than it is is quite unneccessary my man.

Lol, I'm not engaging with you in any more debate on this.

I just remembered you're "that loon who started that 2am thread one night screaming for lockdowns to be lifted"

I was worried for you that night. Now I just feel pity

SARS 1 didn't cause a pandemic so a vaccine wasn't needed. A vaccine for SARS 1 actually was in the works but it was shelved when the epidemic subsided. It took them 4 months to sequence the SARS 1 genome, were much faster at that today and as I type there about 60 different research groups working on a vaccine for SARS 2. Trials have already started https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52394485

Sorry to burst your bubble :o

No "bubble" bursted here. That's good news, if the trials make it outside of a lab (the vast majority of them don't)

The toxicity from some posters is quite something considering what we're talking about

• Advertisement

Lol, I'm not engaging with you in any more debate on this.

I just remembered you're "that loon who started that 2am thread one night screaming for lockdowns to be lifted"

I was worried for you that night. Now I just feel pity

Given the impact of the lockdown on my mental health as you saw that night I'd have serious concerns about the effect on other poor people who would not be as strong as me.

To debate your point one final time my poor man.

Do you really beleive, against all the evidence, that covid impacts on young people as much as our older population??

Awaiting your response in earnest my good man.

Advertisement