Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Water John wrote: »
    Wonder will Govn't go with a Level 4 for 2/3 weeks and try and keep as much as possible of the economy going?

I'd say so. Go as far as 4 for the min

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

New York looking to close down too, incl schools.

Will this affect marts I wonder? Have nothing sold yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I doubt it tbh. People were not allowed to attend around the ring the last time and online selling took off. Agriculture is classed as essential work.

Not a technical term but people really have to stop ****acting.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I doubt it tbh. People were not allowed to attend around the ring the last time and online selling took off. Agriculture is classed as essential work.

Was at a special sale today, bought online after viewing in the yard, limited places at the ring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd imagine that a move to level 5 restrictions would see a return to 100% online buying and selling with nobody allowed ringside. It proved successful in the spring and the technology is still there so it shouldn't cause the same delays as experienced then.

They'll probably be some level of panic selling especially as we're now in the peak trading season. I couldn't see such a situation helping the cattle trade at least initially but it would allow trading to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The country will be decimated for years to come if this nonsense is allowed. Will rearing children for export be a possibility though or will they be stuck here with very little options.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve really refrained from Criticising The governance of the crisis but it’s getting hard to follow at this stage.

For last two weeks cases in Monaghan have been at an alarming rate, higher than Dublin I think and yet it wasn’t moved to L3

Similar other counties like Cork saw massive spikes and didn’t change.

To come in now and recommend everyone to L5 is a Massive step. Yea I know they are playing the margin game and hoping the govt go some way. But even having to do that is a bit of messing around.

Seems to me the government brought in this L1-L5 system, immediately second guessed it themselves by moving Dublin to L3 amd a bit, and then forgot that they could move other counties to L3.

It’s hard to have faith that they aren’t lost at sea on this. Maybe Tony will set them in a straight path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

_Brian wrote: »
    I’ve really refrained from Criticising The governance of the crisis but it’s getting hard to follow at this stage.

For last two weeks cases in Monaghan have been at an alarming rate, higher than Dublin I think and yet it wasn’t moved to L3

Similar other counties like Cork saw massive spikes and didn’t change.

To come in now and recommend everyone to L5 is a Massive step. Yea I know they are playing the margin game and hoping the govt go some way. But even having to do that is a bit of messing around.

Seems to me the government brought in this L1-L5 system, immediately second guessed it themselves by moving Dublin to L3 amd a bit, and then forgot that they could move other counties to L3.

It’s hard to have faith that they aren’t lost at sea on this. Maybe Tony will set them in a straight path.

They’ve had six months to prepare for this so called second wave. All they can do is lockdown the country and destroy the economy. Ill prepared no extra icu beds it appears. Cancer screening services non existent since March. All they do is give daily reports on cases they really have made a balls of this. It’s all reactive and not proactive in dealing with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Would they be any harm in saying another mass Ted , its mad, shut everything down again sure it worked the last time.

Support, praise is probably a better word, for our current and past Govt's rankles with me tbh. This new level 5 proposal is again showing us the dismal state of our health service. That's failure of successive Govt's to definitively deal with the problems in the health service. They're looking to protect the meagre capacity that's there. I'm not suggesting let the virus run rampant, but we could have a more robust health service if it was tended to over the decades. I don't think the Covid leaks help the population either, the whole country is now speculating and rather upset over a possible decision, rather than one that's already been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

kerryjack wrote: »
    Would they be any harm in saying another mass Ted , its mad, shut everything down again sure it worked the last time.

Did it really work the last time or was some element of seasonality the real reason why things eased off completely?
    There isn't actually evidence to say what the exact effect of lockdown was. Not saying it did nothing but it wasn't responsible for all of the decline in positives recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 27,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I says wrote: »
    They’ve had six months to prepare for this so called second wave. All they can do is lockdown the country and destroy the economy. Ill prepared no extra icu beds it appears. Cancer screening services non existent since March. All they do is give daily reports on cases they really have made a balls of this. It’s all reactive and not proactive in dealing with this.

There's 50 extra ICU beds since March and another 20 to be added as part of Winter Plan.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Surreal this morning and you can imagine people out there not knowing if they will have a job or business come Wednesday.

The thing I don't understand in all of this is why there are no on the spot fines for people who flout the rules. These people will not give a toss whether the country is in level 1 or level 5. But business, jobs and people waiting on non covid lists in hospitals suffer because of these arseholes that don't give a fck about anyone except themselves.

Capacity in hospitals is one thing but there’s awful number of staff rotating out as their young children are being tested. It’s a massive impact with departments seeing up to 50% of staff off waiting on kids results.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Capacity in hospitals is one thing but there’s awful number of staff rotating out as their young children are being tested. It’s a massive impact with departments seeing up to 50% of staff off waiting on kids results.

Agreed, there's a local nurse here that's taking full advantage of the time off due to testing, has been tested three times in the last six weeks and this week has submitted her seven year old for a test. She neither wants to go to work herself nor wants the bother of getting the children to school, This is a family that attended less than fifty percent of the schooldays last year, what future have they.
    So glad to be able to go to the Beacon last week, hope the HSE doesn't nobble the private hospitals again, I have to go back in six weeks

Was in a farm stores there between Cavan and Monaghan there, three staff none wearing masks or visors and no screen at tills. Four other customers there none wearing masks.

This is the bull**** were against.

I would say in rural Cork that wouldn't be the case anywhere. Distance, masks and perspex in place, number in shops also limited.
    The crowd after the County final win in Blackrock, Cork was a disaster and has happened in other counties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Big queues at smyths toystores today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I would say in rural Cork that wouldn't be the case anywhere. Distance, masks and perspex in place, number in shops also limited.
    The crowd after the County final win in Blackrock, Cork was a disaster and has happened in other counties too.

Our local team won last Sunday and celebrated most of the week in various pubs.

whelan2 wrote: »

That's the nub of the sport problem, not the matches themselves.

whelan2 wrote: »

Have seen endless photos of teams online in small huddles arms all over each other, no regard at all. Cluster in Cavan from GAA has moved out onto the community in Ballinagh. GAA are cribbing to let more spectators into grounds but not controlling the teams. It should be shut down in fairness.

GAA have just shut down ALL games, brave decision.

Good move.

Yes, the afters were a problem but the numbers going to local matches was an issue too.
    I hope the schools and as much business as possible is kept going. To achieve that other aspects of life will have to largely put on hold. Some people find that difficult others don't give a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭tanko

Bit late for that now, all the whining about supporters not allowed at games and when they were allowed in there was zero social distancing in the grounds, all the crowds on top of each other like sardines.

The celebrations after the finals were the same as any other year with the pubs jammed to the rafters.

Club and County championships should.have been cancelled this year, they’re not a necessity.

Was in a farm stores there between Cavan and Monaghan there, three staff none wearing masks or visors and no screen at tills. Four other customers there none wearing masks.

This is the bull**** were against.

I'll do my bit for farmers around hete, there was a well attended breeding ram sale on Sunday, auction ran from 12-5 pretty much. Unless a person was in their own vehicle or eating/drinking everyone was wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There's 50 extra ICU beds since March and another 20 to be added as part of Winter Plan.

And they have no staff hired to man them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A million have died from the virus so far. It seems a lot but when you consider that the global population grows by 83 million every year, it ain't that much.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement