Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    I had the following week booked off but I cancelled it. Don’t see the point really I’m already at home Haha.

Although i could do with having a break from work. The WFH is way busier than working in the office.

We are being made take annual leave accrued to the end of March so 25% of our annual leave less any we have already taken so it’s not by choice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I sort of feel like going for the weekly shop now is like going for the big Christmas shop when you try and get everything without having to go out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

We've a turkey in the freezer since before Christmas (we bought two at the time) and we're going to have it on Easter Sunday. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We decided to treat ourselves last night & defrosted the last pack of mince pies from the freezer, we all had one & I have to say they were delicious, all were devoured in no time, such a shame I'll not have one now until December.

That was the first time we froze a couple of boxes over christmas & we'll definitely be doing that again.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113042212&postcount=3590

Silly, silly me... You people confused me with all your talk of Christmas food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I sort of feel like going for the weekly shop now is like going for the big Christmas shop when you try and get everything without having to go out again.
    Doing the same but with everyone in the house we seem to run out every 3/4days,use to last a week before,think its worst if you have all boys as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Doing the same but with everyone in the house we seem to run out every 3/4days,use to last a week before,think its worst if you have all boys as me.

Our food bill is easily up about 30% compared to normal and we are 2 adults and 3 kids under 6!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

TRS30 wrote: »
    Our food bill is easily up about 30% compared to normal and we are 2 adults and 3 kids under 6!!

Us too and we're 2 adults and a 7 month old! I'm finding with online food shopping, it's too easy to keep adding things to the trolley!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We are the same here - these children never stop eating!!!!! Literally, I hear about 100 times a day from my boy "mam, can I have something to eat". He literally had a huge portion of chicken curry and rice for his dinner last night & then asked me for something else about half an hour later! I dread to think what he'll be like as a teenager :P Especially as I already know how hollow Mr. CL's legs are when it comes to food :pac::pac:

I suspect we're all guilty of eating out of boredom. Usually after my dinner I rarely eat anything & would just have a cup of tea around 8.30-9.00 but nowadays am finding myself looking in the cupboards for something to nibble on... convinced its only because we're all stuck indoors with so little to do.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Hope everyone is doing okay and all your families are happy and healthy.

Just noticed on the Christmas Countdown thread that it is 266 days to Christmas and because it is a leap year that means it has been 100 days since last Christmas and it has flown by, so hopefully the next 100 can go as quick and we can all enjoy our extended families and friends again.

if we keep positive like we usually do here we will get through this, stay strong Elves! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Over a quarter of the way through the year and into the 4th month of the year! When all this horrible stuff passes and it will we will be much closer to Christmas.

A-Christian-Palm-Sunday-religious-holiday-with-palm-branches-and-leaves-and-cross.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Hope all is well for everyone, as of last night we are on full lockdown, not leaving the house, not even for a single walk. One family member allowed to got to the shop, gloves and mask at all times outside of the house. My OH is getting pretty worried. Few professions exempt from the travel restrictions and you have to apply for passes to leave home/go to work. All the traffic cameras, which are plentiful, are flashing no matter what speed and you get contacted to prove you have the required travel pass. If not its a EU700 fine or arrest.

I am still in the office as I am exempt, however trying to convince some people in the office to that its a legal requirement to wear a mask now is proving more difficult than thought.

That cant be fun Jude, best of luck in dealing with the situation as best you can.
    Definitely starting to see more & more people wearing facemasks & gloves over here too, most in Dunnes stores had them on. and the lockdown seems to have been taken even more seriously in the last week, when driving over to the in laws with their grocery shop yesterday the roads (incl. the M50) were the emptiest I've ever seen them. Good to see to be fair. Looking at the stats for the UK over the weekend is a timely reminder as to how bad this can get if we dont all play our part.

Hope everyone has a good week, the weather is to improve greatly towards the end of the week so the back garden mightn't feel quite the space it was last week.

Hope everyone had as good a weekend as possible.

That sounds tough Jude. Are you in an apartment or house/garden? Things aren't as strict as that here (yet!), the trips to the green at the end of the road with the kids are a god sent to get them out of the house and some fresh air.

Did a Zoom table quiz with the family on Saturday night. My brother came up with the idea last week and it just grew from there. Was a good bit of banter on the family Whatsapp in the build up as well. Was four teams (folks, two siblings & significant other and us) with 8 rounds of 4 questions, each team had to come up with 2 rounds of questions.

Took about an hour and was a great laugh, missus used it as an excurse to get dressed up and we had a bottle of wine and some nibbles while playing. We ended up chatting for about an hour after as well as think everyone was just happy we were all together as such as we would meet up quite a lot.

Thinking of doing another one next Saturday so am going to get a Christmas round in. Might be looking for some good Christmas trivia later in the week!

Just an idea that some might be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That sounds like fun. If you need ideas for questions have a look in the forum games section here - we do run quizzes so you may be able to take some questions from there.

The latest one (Molly and Claras quiz) had some good picture rounds

TRS30 I must get Zoom, I downloaded the house party app and got hacked. I had messages on my gmail asking to confirm I had set up two separate email accounts with very similar names and a william hill betting account. So avoid at all costs.

I am doing the shop this evening as I have a pass to be on the roads. I keep trying to apply for tomorrow but the website keeps crashing. We usually send the dog to day care a few days a week, it closed two weeks ago but just reopened today which is handy as we are not allowed walk the dog outside.

I have a garden though its too warm to sit out during the day. We just had a nerd from work visit the house to set up a mesh wifi system in addition to our normal wifi so we have full coverage around the house, I don't know why that is exciting to me. It will stop one of my elves living on the stair to get a good signal I guess.

Hope all is well at home.

kitten_k wrote: »
    That sounds like fun. If you need ideas for questions have a look in the forum games section here - we do run quizzes so you may be able to take some questions from there.

The latest one (Molly and Claras quiz) had some good picture rounds

great idea, thanks KK.
    Jude13 wrote: »
    TRS30 I must get Zoom, I downloaded the house party app and got hacked. I had messages on my gmail asking to confirm I had set up two separate email accounts with very similar names and a william hill betting account. So avoid at all costs.

I am doing the shop this evening as I have a pass to be on the roads. I keep trying to apply for tomorrow but the website keeps crashing. We usually send the dog to day care a few days a week, it closed two weeks ago but just reopened today which is handy as we are not allowed walk the dog outside.

I have a garden though its too warm to sit out during the day. We just had a nerd from work visit the house to set up a mesh wifi system in addition to our normal wifi so we have full coverage around the house, I don't know why that is exciting to me. It will stop one of my elves living on the stair to get a good signal I guess.

Hope all is well at home.

My brother put me on to it as his wife was using it for work calls. I have heard of hacking issues so use it on an Ipad (not sure if that makes it any safer!)

Good that you at least have a garden so can get out for fresh air even if only early morning or later in the evening.

It's a bit crazy the things that excite these days, cycling to the shop to get the paper for the folks is one of the highlights of my day at the minute!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sTwZQy3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Love that. :)

We were talking about making some Easter decorations to put up around the house (something to keep the kids entertained) last night before they went to bed.

6.30am this morning, Elf 2 (3yo) came running into our room, slapped me on the face to wake me up and said......'Dadda we don't have a tree to put the decorations on'!!! Bless him :)

I was in an expat type food shop today, madly priced but it was the only thing near me, I spotted a tin of Scottish biscuits, the butter type ones which I cannot remember the brand and it had a Christmas scene on it. Kid s playing in the snow. I tried to take a pic but I couldn't unlock my phone with the gloves on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Walkers shortbread?

Do any of ye know is Love Actually still available on Netflix or was it just a Christmas thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Do any of ye know is Love Actually still available on Netflix or was it just a Christmas thing?

Unfortunately it seems to be gone now but there are still some Christmas movies on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I was watching a programme earlier and during the break, an Eason Christmas ad came on about finding the perfect gift...I actually said, out loud, "Ah here, that's way too early!"....it was a programme I'd recorded last November and was only getting around to watching now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

jellybear wrote: »
    I was watching a programme earlier and during the break, an Eason Christmas ad came on about finding the perfect gift...I actually said, out loud, "Ah here, that's way too early!"....it was a programme I'd recorded last November and was only getting around to watching now :D

I don’t think there is such a thing as “too early” for me to be honest:D
    I do love it though when the adds do start and it annoys the other half a small bit:D Playing Christmas FM last week really got her going.

jellybear wrote: »

I have movies recorded from around Christmas time, that are still getting to watch. Usually fast forward through all the ads however let them play now as most are Christmas ones which are nice to watch, even the bad ones!!

• Advertisement

I'm starting to get one of my mid year cravings for all things christmas and have been looking through old threads and sites a far bit in the last week or so. It happens every year but usually moreso in the summer after we get back from Holidays. I suspect knowing now we wont likely get to go on holiday this summer has added some oomph to that feeling of craving christmas.

I'd sacrifice the holidays if it means we're all back to normality for the autumn & christmas build up though, cant imagine christmas with all these restrictions & such still in place or reimplemented if this virus makes a return later in the year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement