Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Posy wrote: »
    No need to ask how you're keeping occupied during the pandemic, so. :pac:
    kitten_k wrote: »
    I’m actually a single pringle so none of that fun to keep me entertained :D

But also not getting any younger so have to go down less natural routes.

So... you're writing letters to the stork, instead of writing to Santa? Or are you asking Santa for a baby elf for Christmas (or thereabouts)? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Hope all is well, as the airlines have decided to stop flying from here I guess I have had one decision made, we cannot come home should anything happen here.

I have looked at buying a generator as its getting hot here and you cannot survive (not an exaggeration) a summer with no AC. However a pal who works in a power plant has said that as an essential service they will keep it running. All a bit surreal.

Going to the store at lunch to pick up a few things. Any pointers on the shopping list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If we stop moving the clocks for summer/winter time then it would have to be left on winter time permanently as it would be too dark for too long in the mornings during the winter months with people getting to work and kids getting to school on summer hours.
    Isn't the practice of moving the clocks back and forward an old English tradition because in centuries gone we all used to work in the fields?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Isn't the practice of moving the clocks back and forward an old English tradition because in centuries gone we all used to work in the fields?

That is correct and it was essentially kept for so long to assist farmers do their jobs but I guess times move on and farmers have adapted other ways to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

This day three months ago was the day before Christmas Eve. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DenMan wrote: »
    This day three months ago was the day before Christmas Eve. :eek:

Wow, with everything thats happening that feels like a lifetime ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hope all keeping well and had a good weekend. Was certainly a different mothers day and like many kids saw the grandparents from a safe distance in the driveway. I took it all my Mum's resolve not to run over and give them all a big a hug. When she open the handmade card and bracelet with 'Granny I love you' from Elf1 the full waterworks came on!

For anyone with littler elfs, we went to the out door cinema in Castleknock yesterday (you sit in your car) and was really good. Bought a picnic and met a family we know so kids shouted to each other out the car window :) Was good fun and would recommend (get there early- we were there 40 mins before and already a good few cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

New Home wrote: »
    So... you're writing letters to the stork, instead of writing to Santa? Or are you asking Santa for a baby elf for Christmas (or thereabouts)? :D

That's it exactly :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    I'd rather they didn't change at all. I don't like the jump in time, whether it's forward or back.

I don't think there's any need for it staying bright until after 10pm in the summer, it's a bit much!
    And the change in October is dismal, suddenly being dark before 5, instead of gradually easing us in.

We had a discussion a while back about this being stopped & which 'time' would you prefer, winter or summer, I always said i'd prefer summertime with the brighter evenings as I love the extra brightness, but the more I think about it the flip side of that is a very dark afternoon in wintertime... still not 100% sure which i'd prefer but winters being even more miserable & dark wouldn't be great would it!? Think I'd have to put more thought into it, but starting to see the benefits of leaving it at 'wintertime' though I suspect we'll just end up doing what the rest of the EU does.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Easy to forget with everything else that's going on. But tomorrow is Waffle Day. Looking forward to breaking up the self-isolation with a waffly breakfast!

TRS30 wrote: »
    Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

You too man. Take care and look after yourself.

Same to everyone in here in fact! Stay well.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Today is my birthday - not one I’ll forget in a hurry. I hope everyone is doing ok.

iguana wrote: »
    Easy to forget with everything else that's going on. But tomorrow is Waffle Day. Looking forward to breaking up the self-isolation with a waffly breakfast!

Ah man I completely forgot about that.

And I love waffle day. I’m in the office tomorrow so I won’t even get time to duck out and get ingredients :(

Loughc wrote: »

And I love waffle day. I’m in the office tomorrow so I won’t even get time to duck out and get ingredients :(

In the office myself tomorrow. It's weird atm, most are working from home so it's like the shining or something walking around an empty building. Driving in now as well and it's crazy how little traffic there is, 20 minutes door to door this morning, same drive on a normal Tuesday would take 5 times as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Today is my birthday - not one I’ll forget in a hurry. I hope everyone is doing ok.

Happy Birthday Cork Lass :)

Maybe in a few months time you can get to celebrate it properly and we'll wish you another happy birthday :)

Stay as safe as possible everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just got this from a friend....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You'll just have to have a waffle weekend instead!

jellybear wrote: »
    Just got this from a friend....

I love this.

iguana wrote: »
    You'll just have to have a waffle weekend instead!

I do have whipped cream and Nutella.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Cork Lass :)

Maybe in a few months time you can get to celebrate it properly and we'll wish you another happy birthday :)

Stay as safe as possible everyone.

Thanks Mam of 4. I’m not one to make a fuss about birthdays so it’s grand and sure Leo gave me a lockdown :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

91114375_2924924977594281_2395019952051453952_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=godGAqv0FSsAX9PyCjQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=d0f65ab3b3d2dd8532d35bac390c89e6&oe=5E9EF7AC

On a positive note it’s only 23 weeks to the start of the BER months.

That will fly by :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, by the time normality has resumed*, it will be time to start planning for CHRISTMAS. :)

*timeline may not be accurate
    *Could be Christmas 2021/22/23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

We are a quarter of the way to Christmas folks, it's flying along! Hope everyone is keeping well and I know you all will, but keep positive :)

Many happy returns, hope you have a good as day as possible.

Was talking to my sister last night, is my brother in laws big 50th at the end of June. We were saying it would be great if this was behind us by then so we could all get together and have a proper celebration.

Times like this make you appreciate the small things- meeting up with family and friends, giving those you love a hug, seeing Elf3 sitting on my Dad's lap as he 'oohs & aahs' over her.

So is everyone going stair crazy yet? Thankfully my non-essential job has deemed itself essential so I'm still flipping between WFH and working in the office, the work hasn't slowed down yet so I don't have too much time to get bored.

So is everyone going stair crazy yet? Thankfully my non-essential job has deemed itself essential so I'm still flipping between WFH and working in the office, the work hasn't slowed down yet so I don't have too much time to get bored.

Could have written that myself.
    Hate being stuck indoors so much though as I'm a bit of an outdoors person so cabin fever is a serious possibility & being honest my stress levels are pretty high atm.

Work is actually v busy so even though WFH full time not getting to do a lot else. Finished a bit early yesterday and went to local park with the family and was lovely to find a nice quiet spot so we could kick ball, run around and enjoy the nice weather for a bit. Phones left at home, no talking about anything serious etc.

Trying to help out with the kids where I can. My wife is doing an amazing job keeping the three of them busy, doing school work, makes lunches, snacks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Am WFH here, have most client work up to date so I will then start all the admin stuff I have been putting off :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement