Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Jude, how about The Nightmare Before Christmas?

The title is quite fitting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

New Home wrote: »
    Jude, how about The Nightmare Before Christmas?

The title is quite fitting.

I lol’d. I shouldn’t have but I did. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,152 ✭✭✭✭DvB

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi guys, haven't posted here in a long time. How is everyone doing? Everything that's going on at the moment is so bizarre and very difficult for everyone I'm sure. It's the uncertainty is the worst. Of course, I want things to get back to normal but I'm nervous that when restrictions are eventually lifted that there'll be another surge....until we get a vaccine, that will always be the fear. I live with my parents too, who are both over 70, so I'm terrified of them getting it....even though they are generally in good health but that doesn't mean anything to this virus!

I think your right, there'll inevitably be a surge of cases when restrictions are lifted, its unsustainable to keep them in place in a western democracy for too long, and I suspect it'll end up with the old & vulnerable being told to stay in lockdown with the rest going back to normal little by little.

Both my parents are in the high risk category so it scares me greatly that they could get through this initial phase and still get undone by a relative or a grandchild potentially passing it on or suchlike at a later date when restrictions are lifted. But thats the world we live in now unfortunately, & once pandora's box has been opened it cant be unopened...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Like many the uncertainty is hard to deal with at times. Luckily we hadn't any holidays or anything booked so no issue there however my wife is due back to work from extended maternity leave in mid April. Still no word from her company on where she is to start back or not. Technically she could work from home however has no laptop and the office is now closed to non essential staff (is not essential) so she is getting a bit worry about it. I told her to try not to think about it as is still a couple of weeks away and the onus is on them to contact her.

On a personal positive note, I have dusted the bike off and am cycling to the shops in the morning to drop the paper and milk etc to my folks. Is great been back on the bike and the fresh air first thing in the morning is a nice way to start the day.

TRS30 wrote: »

On a personal positive note, I have dusted the bike off and am cycling to the shops in the morning to drop the paper and milk etc to my folks. Is great been back on the bike and the fresh air first thing in the morning is a nice way to start the day.

I'm using the lack of a commute to get back into my running. I had a bout of sciatica that stopped me running a while back & I'd realised i'd gone nearly 3 months without a run, so got out the gear & went for a run last night. Was fully expecting to struggle having done so little for so long but managed 5k in 27 minutes, so happy enough with that. Not gonna lie, it was tough (I'm not getting any younger, thats for sure) but it was a great head clearer & helped lift the anxiety a bit meaning I had a good nights sleep last night too... little victories!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    I'm using the lack of a commute to get back into my running. I had a bout of sciatica that stopped me running a while back & I'd realised i'd gone nearly 3 months without a run, so got out the gear & went for a run last night. Was fully expecting to struggle having done so little for so long but managed 5k in 27 minutes, so happy enough with that. Not gonna lie, it was tough (I'm not getting any younger, thats for sure) but it was a great head clearer & helped lift the anxiety a bit meaning I had a good nights sleep last night too... little victories!!

Another exercise victory here as well, I'm now walking the dog before and after work and then going back out later on my own to get a couple of laps in.

My fitbit stats last week were 75k steps for the week and I walked 60km for the week. Steps were up 25k on the previous week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Thats a serious amount of steps Loughc and fine time for a 5km DvB even with no lay off. I suffer a lot from sciatica, however, it is relieved greatly by running regularly.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I suffer a lot from sciatica, however, it is relieved greatly by running regularly.

I find cycling works brilliantly too, that's why I originally got the exercise bike so I could use it indoors in the winter.

That sciatica though.... sweet baby Jesus & the orphans it can be crippling.

Only suffering with it about 2 years or so but it got really bad there last summer & then again just before Christmas... Its a great excuse for staying active though as thats the only thing that really seems to relieve it.

Loughc wrote: »
    Another exercise victory here as well, I'm now walking the dog before and after work and then going back out later on my own to get a couple of laps in.

My fitbit stats last week were 75k steps for the week and I walked 60km for the week. Steps were up 25k on the previous week.

Great to hear guys :)

Was saying to my wife when I got back this morning that one positive from all this was the lack of traffic on the roads. Are two primary schools near my folks house and roads would usually be choc a block however saw about 3 cars the whole trip!

Got to take any positive you can these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just turned on ITV 3 and there was a carrot talking in it. I guess it must be Kevin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We have been driving to the park down the road and going for a walk but they have now closed all the car parks in the parks so we walked down today so at least it will get us out for longer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

64c35a32412da1b4d9b3c185fa66f180.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

19055551_1513756872008031_833288461477971336_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=dd9801&_nc_ohc=lPPieyBy25sAX-oIHpF&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=58e7c72a590e62ffdc0f54855cd3531c&oe=5EA8450F
    Happy_April_Fools_Day.width-800.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

looking forward to a clean and quiet christmas... finally mouth breathers might have learned to back the feck up or get shtabbed witha pork loin!

Either my daughters school email got hacked, or it's a bad April fools, or schools are opening tomorrow.

Either my daughters school email got hacked, or it's a bad April fools, or schools are opening tomorrow.

I think I can safely say it's one of the first two!!

There's not a school over here opening before September anyway.

Happy April everyone... fingers crossed this month is in better mood than the last one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm hoping and praying that the curve will be further flattened after this week and that we are closer to a treatment at least for this horrible virus :( Happy April guys :)

I'm no scrooge and like an April fools joke, I got married on this day, it just rubbed me up the wrong way.

I have never watched the nightmare before Christmas so I will tout it to the OH, whom may have to concur as she did not remember our anniversary.

I'm no scrooge and like an April fools joke, I got married on this day, it just rubbed me up the wrong way.

I have never watched the nightmare before Christmas so I will tout it to the OH, whom may have to concur as she did not remember our anniversary.

Happy anniversary!

Never seen the Nightmare before Christmas!!?? Wow... I love that film. Its not everyones cup of tea but its always the first 'Christmas' film of the year we put on being a Halloween/Christmas mash up!

• Advertisement

Happy anniversary Jude.

Look on the bright side, the OH forgetting about it must be worth a few brownie points in the bank :D

Happy anniversary Jude!

Cheers all we don't usually do much, ditto for valentines. We will have a romantic meal, in the house, this weekend.

Cheers all we don't usually do much, ditto for valentines. We will have a romantic meal, in the house, this weekend.

If you still lived here you'd have no choice, not much to do these days other that work, eat & watch tv in your house anyway :pac:

First full week of lock in/lockdown/whatever you're having yourself.... and I'm already starting to lose the battle to maintain my mental health equilibrium....

roll on Christmas is all I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

I've started working on a short story. Time to use this lockdown to explore my creative side. If anybody else is interested in doing it here is the link. RTE Short Story Competition 2020. The deadline for submissions (online) is Friday May 8th @5pm.

Congratulations Jude.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/francis-macmanus-short-story/

If you still lived here you'd have no choice, not much to do these days other that work, eat & watch tv in your house anyway :pac:

First full week of lock in/lockdown/whatever you're having yourself.... and I'm already starting to lose the battle to maintain my mental health equilibrium....

roll on Christmas is all I have to say!

Hang in there DvB. I know it might not seem like it at the minute, however there will come a time when we will look back on this and realise we are a lot stronger and more resilient then we think.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Hang in there DvB. I know it might not seem like it at the minute, however there will come a time when we will look back on this and realise we are a lot stronger and more resilient then we think.

Ah to be fair, I'm trying to make a light hearted go of it at the moment, in the greater scheme of things its an inconvenience, many others around the world are really struggling in far worse situations having lost loved ones etc. & it would be unfair to whinge given what they are having to deal with now & into the future.

I just hope when we're into our build up to Christmas this is all behind us & we can look back on it and remind ourselves to make the most of the good times.

I’m off next week, should be fun!

kitten_k wrote: »
    I’m off next week, should be fun!

I had the following week booked off but I cancelled it. Don’t see the point really I’m already at home Haha.

Although i could do with having a break from work. The WFH is way busier than working in the office.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    I had the following week booked off but I cancelled it. Don’t see the point really I’m already at home Haha.

Although i could do with having a break from work. The WFH is way busier than working in the office.

I was due to take the week after easter off myself but not bothering how, it was originally to cover the kids school holidays, but like yourself as we're home anyway whats the point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement